PDA

View Full Version : Newest kitten not covering feces in litter box + long

October 8th 08, 09:09 PM
Hey all, this is a one time question from me here at husband's
computer, mine isn't working. I will be checking back here for any
help. I appreciate any advice in advance, and thanks for taking the
time to read, I've tried to include as much 'history' as possible. You
can post to the group only please, so as tonot clog up husband's e-
mail. :)

We have four cats, two three year olds, one from shelter at 8 weeks
old, Hannah, one from street at 2-3 weeks old, Piper. They do great,
together. We have the third, Isabella, at two, (from the street at
around 2 months old), and she used to try to play/annoy Piper, never
really fighting. I've always been one to try and 'let them work it out
themselves, and all my pets have....until Maddy, (the menace <g>)
So now we've rescued another from the streets at about 2 months old,
Maddy, she's about 6 mo old. All are spayed and up to date with vet
care, all healthy.

The problem(s):
Maddy uses the litter box, but she never digs an area and defecates,
she always walks into the box, (all three boxes covered), and leaves
her (very stinky) feces on the top of the litter, never buries it. I
always have to get the scooper out to dig and cover. (We have always
had Fresh Step crystals.....don't plan on changing, very happy with
it.) She has done it properly before, this is fairly new, as in the
past month or so.

Maddy also was caught this morning by me, piddling on a bath rug,
which is 'on the way near' the litter box, never even took the time to
go in the box, but usually always does. I was using my facilities at
the time, and tried to distract her, she just acted like I wasn't
there. I've never had a cat act like this before, it's baffling and I
know why God made them so cute....so we wouldn't kill them at these
times! <heh>

Along with this, she is constantly *annoying* Isabella. I love the new
kitten and am NOT going to give any of them up, (I rescue, I *keep*,
that's MY deal.) They are to the point that when Isabella sees her
near, she hisses at Maddy. Not that that intimidates Maddy, she keeps
trying to 'play' 'hide and attack' with Isabella. I don't know if its
play on Maddy's part or not? OR could it be because Isabella is used
to having me to herself, perhaps her reaction to Maddy is jealousy?

Anyway, Maddy is always trying to, what looks like to me, establish
'dominance'. (I've had dogs mainly for years, and have never run into
this type of behavior, but they are different. <g>) I've also had cats
before, and never had this behavior.
Maddy even has Hannah, the eldest, moving out of her way at the water
dish. (they refuse to use more than one water dish, not a fix by
offering more.) Hannah has been the one to eat/drink/whatever first.
Maddy has come along, and now that we are down to one dog, an 18 month
old golden, Sam, she also has him picking up a mouthful of his kibble
and placing it next to his bowl, eating from there, then going back
for another mouthful. This is fairly recent, too. She is always in
there eating dog food, too.
I did solve this one, by feeding him in his crate now.

From what I feel, Maddy has come along with the 'I'm the queen of this
house, now!!' attitude. Maddy is very sweet and affectionate with both
my husband and me. Will curl up on my feet to sleep on floor while I'm
on computer/watching TV/whenever. She doesn't try to sleep with me at
night, goes to a certain 'cubby' that she has chosen, out of the many
we have provided for them.

Before Maddy's appearance, and still now, Isabella has become over the
past two years, the most affectionate of the cats, we have become VERY
close. She sleeps with me, lies on me during day, and when not
outside, (yes, both her and Hannah are indoor/outdoor, Piper and Maddy
refuse to go out, and I don't encourage it. I won't change this part,
so for anyone not agreeing with this, it's useless to try to 'teach me
better' I know all risks, and am perfectly willing to deal with them.
My last cat lived to 21 indoor/outdoor, also. Most of my cats have
lived to be about 17 +. I'm not interested in any kind of 'debate' on
this front, just the Maddy behavior problems.)

We've had Maddy for over 3 months now, and this behavior is now
becoming more and more apparent. She was spayed 2 weeks ago, and is
doing the same as before. (Not that I expected that to change her
much.)

I cant think of anything that I've left out. I certainly hope someone
can offer me some advice, as to whether this is 'dominance' on Maddy's
part, or if she is just a really 'playful kitty', and Isabella is just
sensitive, (she is when the other cats are with me, she will leave.)
However it does come to hissing/spitting/loudly meowing, along with
blows to one another, mainly on Isabella's part, she is not happy with
Maddy.
I have been using my late dog, Boo's, crate, for Maddy here and there.
She has food water, and litter box available there.
Has anyone else ever 'crate trained' a cat before? Is this something
that works? I've always crate trained my dogs, and they have always
gotten along great, of course, *I* make sure to take charge from the
time they come into our home, and just by being a loving pet 'Mom'
have dispelled anything that may have some up, very easily. It just
sort of always 'came to me', before this, so I'm a bit baffled?

Thanks so much for any help,
MaryBeth and Da Smiff Den

Rene S.
October 8th 08, 09:27 PM
First, please take Maddy to the vet to rule out any medical problems.
It's possible, since she's changed her litter box habits, that
something is going on. Also, you didn't mention how many litter boxes
you have. With four cats you should have at least four boxes (five is
even better) in different locations. This prevents cats from blocking
another one from going, and some cats will urinate in one box and
defecate in another.

Secondly, I have never heard of crate training for cats. Dogs are den
animals and are more used to being in a crate environment, whereas
cats are desert animals. It would probably be better to shut her in a
spare room with litter box, etc. if she is acting up. I fear putting
her in a crate would be associated with punishment, but a room would
not.

Also, have you considered using Feliway diffusers to help calm the
stress in your house? I have one plugged in all the time and it does
help. www.petguys.com has the cheapest price I've found (and
reasonable shipping).

Matthew[_3_]
October 8th 08, 09:46 PM
Rene has excellent advice here. the vet is the first visit

As try changing litter brands also since the furball was a stray you may
try using dirt

I also have two boxes per cat plus one per two cats yes that is a lot but
they use them all I have 5 used to have 6 not to long ago

Here is also a fact in the multiple multiple decades of being around cats
I have several that refused to bury their own stuff.

"Rene S." > wrote in message
> First, please take Maddy to the vet to rule out any medical problems.
> It's possible, since she's changed her litter box habits, that
> something is going on. Also, you didn't mention how many litter boxes
> you have. With four cats you should have at least four boxes (five is
> even better) in different locations. This prevents cats from blocking
> another one from going, and some cats will urinate in one box and
> defecate in another.
>
> Secondly, I have never heard of crate training for cats. Dogs are den
> animals and are more used to being in a crate environment, whereas
> cats are desert animals. It would probably be better to shut her in a
> spare room with litter box, etc. if she is acting up. I fear putting
> her in a crate would be associated with punishment, but a room would
> not.
>
> Also, have you considered using Feliway diffusers to help calm the
> stress in your house? I have one plugged in all the time and it does
> help. www.petguys.com has the cheapest price I've found (and
> reasonable shipping).

October 8th 08, 09:50 PM
On Oct 8, 3:27 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> First, please take Maddy to the vet to rule out any medical problems.
> It's possible, since she's changed her litter box habits, that
> something is going on.

Sorry I thought I had said they were all healthy, was at vets just the
other day for her rabies, after being spayed two weeks ago. I asked
vet about this stuff, but he really wasn't any help. She only really
tries this with Isabella, and is fine with the other two cats. The dog
loves all of them and does play with them, gently. :)
I have a huge vet bill, and anyone that knows him will tell you, I've
built an extra wing, with all my animals.<lol> I never scrimp on care.
I actually had thought about not taking Isabella in, and was taking
her to vet anyway, for care and find a possible home. I mentioned that
I might try to find her 'owner'. He stopped looked at me, and said,
"No you won't! If I have any say, she will stay with you, I would
leave my animals with you, because you are such a great carer for all
of them." Shocked me, but he lets me run up a bill, and really doesn't
much for others, or so I hear. :o)

Also, you didn't mention how many litter boxes
> you have. With four cats you should have at least four boxes (five is
> even better) in different locations. This prevents cats from blocking
> another one from going, and some cats will urinate in one box and
> defecate in another.

I have three covered litter boxes and one box in the crate. I really
only started her in crate after spay, for a day or so, to make sure
she didn't harm herself. She was only there at night.

> Secondly, I have never heard of crate training for cats. Dogs are den
> animals and are more used to being in a crate environment, whereas
> cats are desert animals. It would probably be better to shut her in a
> spare room with litter box, etc. if she is acting up. I fear putting
> her in a crate would be associated with punishment, but a room would
> not.

I do use a bedroom for her most of the time, (when she really acts up,
she usually just sleeps in the sun, enjoying herself <g>), with it's
own box, but I hate having to separate them. I did put her in the
crate this am after piddling on the rug. Caught her in the act, told
her 'NO' and placed her in crate. She meows in there and I can't keep
her in there for long, I feel bad. :o)
I don't want it to be for punishment, as I know about dogs, and all of
mine have preferred their crates to beds anywhere else, without the
doors on.

> Also, have you considered using Feliway diffusers to help calm the
> stress in your house? I have one plugged in all the time and it does
> help.www.petguys.comhas the cheapest price I've found (and
> reasonable shipping).

Haven't heard of these before, will check it out. (It will probably
work on me instead of Maddy! ;o) ) I hope that clears up any other
questions.

I figured maybe someone has crate trained a cat, things happen, right?
<g> I'm still wondering if it is 'dominance' on Maddy's part, is she
really just a very happy active kitty (she is), and if it is just
jealousy on Isabella's part?

Thanks for the heads up on the diffusers. I've tried Rescue Remedy,
but I don't want to just calm Maddy down. But perhaps that's what she
needs.

Thanks so much,
MaryBeth and Da Smiff Den

Rene S.
October 9th 08, 03:01 PM
> Sorry I thought I had said they were all healthy, was at vets just the
> other day for her rabies, after being spayed two weeks ago. I asked
> vet about this stuff, but he really wasn't any help. She only really
> tries this with Isabella, and is fine with the other two cats. The dog
> loves all of them and does play with them, gently. :)

That's too bad that your vet didn't have any advice for you. (I've
gotten picky about who my vet(s) are over the years and would find
this irritating.) I would call the office and ask anyway. Since you're
a regular customer, the vet should be more than willing to call and
talk to you.

> I have three covered litter boxes and one box in the crate. I really
> only started her in crate after spay, for a day or so, to make sure
> she didn't harm herself. She was only there at night.

I would either take the covers off of the boxes or use boxes without
covers and see what happens. A lot of cats don't care for the covered
boxes. They easily trap odors, and some cats feel "trapped" or
cornered while using them. You could also add one more box in another
location.

> Thanks for the heads up on the diffusers. I've tried Rescue Remedy,
> but I don't want to just calm Maddy down. But perhaps that's what she
> needs.

You can use RR on all the cats (just put in their water). Flower
essenses will only work if the animal needs the combination.
Otherwise, they will have no effect. They are very safe.

Rene

Rene S.
October 9th 08, 09:17 PM
More thoughts:

How often are you scooping the boxes? It should be 1-3x/day. Once per
day should be the bare minimum with multiple cats.

If this happens again, don't scold her or lock her away. Just scoop/
clean up, and go about your day. The last thing you want to do is
upset her or cause her to have litter box issues. She may start
avoiding the box all together!

Some kittens either haven't learned to cover, cover another area but
not her waste, or are too "busy" and don't take the time to cover
because they want to play. She may eventually start covering as she
gets older (or not. One of ours does not and that's just the way he
is).

Bryce
October 9th 08, 10:33 PM
wrote:

> Maddy uses the litter box, but she never digs an area and defecates,
> she always walks into the box, (all three boxes covered), and leaves
> her (very stinky) feces on the top of the litter, never buries it.

My female Mittens is also a non-buryier. Clawde (male) is the other
extreme. He will spend fifteen minutes kicking litter all over the
place ... and sometimes goes back a few minutes later for round 2.

I asked Mitts why she leaves the stinkies on top. All I got was a
wide-eyed look and an implied "Well, I don't see YOU putting your
hands into the toilet bowl." Good point.

I wonder if they have litter boxes at the Rainbow Bridge.

MaryL
October 10th 08, 06:15 PM
> wrote in message
> Hey all, this is a one time question from me here at husband's
> computer, mine isn't working. I will be checking back here for any
> help. I appreciate any advice in advance, and thanks for taking the
> time to read, I've tried to include as much 'history' as possible. You
> can post to the group only please, so as tonot clog up husband's e-
> mail. :)
>
> We have four cats, two three year olds, one from shelter at 8 weeks
> old, Hannah, one from street at 2-3 weeks old, Piper. They do great,
> together. We have the third, Isabella, at two, (from the street at
> around 2 months old), and she used to try to play/annoy Piper, never
> really fighting. I've always been one to try and 'let them work it out
> themselves, and all my pets have....until Maddy, (the menace <g>)
> So now we've rescued another from the streets at about 2 months old,
> Maddy, she's about 6 mo old. All are spayed and up to date with vet
> care, all healthy.
>
> The problem(s):
> Maddy uses the litter box, but she never digs an area and defecates,
> she always walks into the box, (all three boxes covered), and leaves
> her (very stinky) feces on the top of the litter, never buries it. I
> always have to get the scooper out to dig and cover. (We have always
> had Fresh Step crystals.....don't plan on changing, very happy with
> it.) She has done it properly before, this is fairly new, as in the
> past month or so.
>
> <snip>
> Thanks so much for any help,
> MaryBeth and Da Smiff Den

First, you indicated that at least some of this behavior is recent. If so,
I would take Maddy back to the vet and request a urinalysis. The behavior
you described is often associated with urinary tract infection. You said in
one of your messages that you "vet about this stuff, but he really wasn't
any help." That doesn't sound like any tests were taken. If necessary, I
would consult a different vet.

Second, why not try a different (and much softer) litter in one of the
boxes. You said you were not going to change litter, but some cats show a
definite preference for different types of litter. Maddy has her claws,
doesn't she? I ask because declawed cats have difficulty with some types of
litter, and they often urinate outside the box.

Third, you mention a "new" cat. Did you introduce the new cat very slowly
and carefully? There are often behavioral issues if cats are just "thrown
together." It works for some, but it can create major problems for others.
This is an area where "slow and careful" should be the rule.

Finally, I would like to reiterate what someone else suggested. That is,
Feliway could be very helpful if this is stress or a behavioral issue. But
first and foremost, rule out any possibility of urinary tract infection or
other medical issues.

I hope some of this helps. Please keep us updated.

MaryL

MaryL
October 10th 08, 06:22 PM
> wrote in message
> Hey all, this is a one time question from me here at husband's
> computer, mine isn't working. I will be checking back here for any
> help. I appreciate any advice in advance, and thanks for taking the
> time to read, I've tried to include as much 'history' as possible. You
> can post to the group only please, so as tonot clog up husband's e-
> mail. :)
>
> We have four cats, two three year olds, one from shelter at 8 weeks
> old, Hannah, one from street at 2-3 weeks old, Piper. They do great,
> together. We have the third, Isabella, at two, (from the street at
> around 2 months old), and she used to try to play/annoy Piper, never
> really fighting. I've always been one to try and 'let them work it out
> themselves, and all my pets have....until Maddy, (the menace <g>)
> So now we've rescued another from the streets at about 2 months old,
> Maddy, she's about 6 mo old. All are spayed and up to date with vet
> care, all healthy.
>
> The problem(s):
> Maddy uses the litter box, but she never digs an area and defecates,
> she always walks into the box, (all three boxes covered), and leaves
> her (very stinky) feces on the top of the litter, never buries it. I
> always have to get the scooper out to dig and cover. (We have always
> had Fresh Step crystals.....don't plan on changing, very happy with
> it.) She has done it properly before, this is fairly new, as in the
> past month or so.
>
> > Thanks so much for any help,
> MaryBeth and Da Smiff Den

I just re-read your message (after replying too quickly) and realized that
Maddy *is* the "new cat." You also answered one of my questions about
whether you used a very slow introduction. Since you did not do that, that
could be one source of the problem. You may need to separate her for awhile
and then gradually go forward with the introduction. I would still be
concerned, first and foremost, about the possibility of UTI. Incidentally,
there are some cats that simply do not cover their feces. It's not
"misbehavior" and probably not something that can be "trained." Crate
training is more appropriate for a dog than for a cat. Could you place her
in the bathroom or other small room, instead?

MaryL

October 11th 08, 12:06 AM
Frist off thanks Rene and anyone else. haven't been able to pry hubby
from his puter, so it's taken a bit to get back....

> How often are you scooping the boxes? It should be 1-3x/day. Once per
> day should be the bare minimum with multiple cats.

I keep them well scooped, more than 2-3 times a day, at the least.

> If this happens again, don't scold her or lock her away. Just scoop/
> clean up, and go about your day. The last thing you want to do is
> upset her or cause her to have litter box issues. She may start
> avoiding the box all together!

I didn't 'scold' her for the litter box, that will just make it worse.
<G> I waited until she was out of it, to cover it up myself, for a
bit, until the litter absorbed the fluid and odor. 'Twas *nasty*, but
she's eating everything we eat, even broccoli, last week. I remember
being surprised about dogs eating veggies, when I first went to the
dog groups many years ago, but started trying to get my single dog to
eat them. He refused until we got our second pup and she gobbled down
everything, (a lab, of course). If she ate it, he HAD to have it.
yanno. :o)

It was when she piddled on the bath rug right while I was watching
her. I tried to distract her, and wasn't sure she had piddled until I
felt it. Then all I did was pick her right up and said 'no, Maddy',
(note, I don't yell at any of my animals), then put her in the living
room with all of us, just away from the rug. Then went back and picked
it up, cleaned the area with Nature's Miracle and haven't put a clean
rug out again. Take away any temptation....that was just added as part
of the history. I know when I read posts on the dog groups, and tried
to help, it was best to get as much info as possible. :o)

> Some kittens either haven't learned to cover, cover another area but
> not her waste, or are too "busy" and don't take the time to cover
> because they want to play. She may eventually start covering as she
> gets older (or not. One of ours does not and that's just the way he
> is).

Well, I feel much better just hearing about other cats that don't
'cover', I've had cats around most of my life, and never had one do
this.

(I swear she is just trying to 'annoy' Isabella, as IzzyB is the
absolute *neatest* cat I've ever had. When the pup first came to us,
and pooped on the floor, Isabella was *right there* immediately trying
to 'scoop' the wood floor and 'cover' his poop. Heh.)
I'm not that concerned, now hearing of other cats doign similar
things, it always makes it better, right?

She is always coming up with weird behavior that I've never had a cat
do. The latest is stretching her back and tail up, and walking
diagonally. I figure she's getting ready for Halloween. :o)

She also will reach up on her hind legs to 'kiss' me, if I bend down.
Kisses to her are smooching her snout, (which has a bit of black
smaller than a dime on one side, tres cute), into my mouth, and making
this odd purring sound. Every day it's been something new. I just
figured I'd post about mainly the littler thang....just be sure.

I really appreciate all the advice and help, thanks to all of you,
MaryBeth and Da Smiff Den

October 11th 08, 12:08 AM
On Oct 9, 4:33 pm, Bryce > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Maddy uses the litter box, but she never digs an area and defecates,
> > she always walks into the box, (all three boxes covered), and leaves
> > her (very stinky) feces on the top of the litter, never buries it.
>
> My female Mittens is also a non-buryier. Clawde (male) is the other
> extreme. He will spend fifteen minutes kicking litter all over the
> place ... and sometimes goes back a few minutes later for round 2.
>
> I asked Mitts why she leaves the stinkies on top. All I got was a
> wide-eyed look and an implied "Well, I don't see YOU putting your
> hands into the toilet bowl." Good point.
>
> I wonder if they have litter boxes at the Rainbow Bridge.

Funny post!!! Looking at the behavior that way makes sense. She's
always coming up with odd new things, I feel better knowing she's not
alone.

Thanks for the laugh,
MaryBeth and DaSmiffDen

October 11th 08, 12:15 AM
On Oct 10, 12:15 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> [...]
> boxes. You said you were not going to change litter, but some cats show a
> definite preference for different types of litter. Maddy has her claws,
> doesn't she? I ask because declawed cats have difficulty with some types of
> litter, and they often urinate outside the box.
>
> Third, you mention a "new" cat. Did you introduce the new cat very slowly
> and carefully? There are often behavioral issues if cats are just "thrown
> together." It works for some, but it can create major problems for others.
> This is an area where "slow and careful" should be the rule.
>
> Finally, I would like to reiterate what someone else suggested. That is,
> Feliway could be very helpful if this is stress or a behavioral issue. But
> first and foremost, rule out any possibility of urinary tract infection or
> other medical issues.
>
> I hope some of this helps. Please keep us updated.

Thanks for the reply Mary, I do appreciate all the helpful thoughts.
Yes, she's fairly 'new', been with us for about 3 months now. She is
healthy, and the vet didn't really have much else other than to make
sure she's healthy. (He's a great vet, but not too helpful with
behavior. If I feel it is a health problem I will insist he checks it
out.)
She hasn't piddled outside the box again, (that I know of)....of
course our golden 'pup' would let me know right away. He does have a
'nose' on him. Has 'found' some kittie puke before one time, 'told'
me all about it! Very pleased with himself, I'm surprised he didn't
just eat it up. :o)

MaryBeth and DaSmiffDen

cybercat
October 11th 08, 12:22 AM
> wrote
> <G> I waited until she was out of it, to cover it up myself, for a
> bit, until the litter absorbed the fluid and odor. 'Twas *nasty*, but
> she's eating everything we eat, even broccoli, last week.

Don't do this. Feed your cat cat food.

October 11th 08, 01:00 AM
On Oct 10, 6:22 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote
>
> > <G> I waited until she was out of it, to cover it up myself, for a
> > bit, until the litter absorbed the fluid and odor. 'Twas *nasty*, but
> > she's eating everything we eat, even broccoli, last week.
>
> Don't do this. Feed your cat cat food.

They plenty of Innova food, thanks.

MaryBeth

October 12th 08, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the advice, Rene!
I took the top off of one of the litter boxes, and she's now using
that one, exclusively!
Never thought about her not wanting to be covered up. She does dig the
hole first, but still isn't covering her feces. No big deal, I can do
it for her, at least until the litter absorbs fluid and odor. The
other cats aren't using this particular box now, they like their
privacy, I guess. :o)
It's calming down between Maddy and Isabella, as Maddy seems to be
much more interested in me now, and leaves Isabella alone.

Isabella still gets to climb up on me any time she wishes, and still
snuggles up real close *all* night long. Funny, if hub wakes me, I get
annoyed, but Isabella has been waking me up a various intervals during
the night, by licking my chin. Never seems to bother me. :o) She gets
*much* closer to me while we sleep than during the day. Things are a
lot calmer then, obviously.

Weird too, is the eldest cat, Hannah, is coming around for a lot more
affection this past week, not staying outside for most of day. Don't
know what's up with that, but I like it, as she had gotten to the
point that she'd not come to me unless we were outside, or at feeding
time. (I've also checked them all over to see if they are having any
problems, first thing I do when they come in from outside.) Every time
they're on my lap, I give them an all-over 'feeling' for anything that
may be bothering them.
They all are very happy, healthy, and gorgeous. Especially the long
haired Piper, aka 'Mrs. Peeps' named such as she only ever 'squeaks',
sounds like she needs oiled, a bit of WD-40, heh.
One of these days, I'll get around to posting some photos on a website
of all my 'den'.
I've only ever had two cats, at the most, before, during my life, so
it's fun watching them all change actions, adjust to each other and
pay/receive more attention to/from me. Gotta love them! :o)

Thanks for the help, from (almost<g>) all of you!
MaryBeth and DaSmiffDen (tm)