PDA

View Full Version : Cats Moaning in the night?

Tube Audio[_2_]
October 8th 08, 09:54 PM
Hi

I have three feral that I am working with, two males and a female. They are
about 1.5 years old. About a year ago, I trapped neutered and released
them. I feed them and am working with them.

Two nights ago I heard loud strange moaning, it lasted under a minute.

I haven't seen the female for two days now. This is the first time that I
have not seen her in the morning and the evening when I feed them. They
live in my courtyard and backyard.

There are usually no other cats around so I assuming the moaning was two of
my cats mating. And it seems strange that I haven't seen the female since I
heard the moaning.

Any ideas what went on or is going on?

Can / do females go into heat in October, I am in San Mateo California.

If they were mating, do both cats make the moaning noise? It seemed like
two noises from two cars. The sound had a long sustain, almost like a howl
but it was more of a moaning noise.

any ideas would help.

Is it common for a female to take off for a few dates?

So do you think it was the female that initialed it? Or an aggressive male?

Sorry for all the questions, I am new with cats.

Rhonda[_3_]
October 9th 08, 06:02 AM
I don't know what it could have been, but I'd be worried that she was
hurt and moaning in pain. When cats are sick or injured, they tend to hide.

Please go out and look under every bush, and check all of the neighbor's
yards and in any crawl spaces.

Is there another cat living in the area that could have had a
territorial fight with her?

Hope you find her soon.

Rhonda

Tube Audio wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have three feral that I am working with, two males and a female. They are
> about 1.5 years old. About a year ago, I trapped neutered and released
> them. I feed them and am working with them.
>
> Two nights ago I heard loud strange moaning, it lasted under a minute.
>
> I haven't seen the female for two days now. This is the first time that I
> have not seen her in the morning and the evening when I feed them. They
> live in my courtyard and backyard.
>
> There are usually no other cats around so I assuming the moaning was two of
> my cats mating. And it seems strange that I haven't seen the female since I
> heard the moaning.
>
> Any ideas what went on or is going on?
>
> Can / do females go into heat in October, I am in San Mateo California.
>
> If they were mating, do both cats make the moaning noise? It seemed like
> two noises from two cars. The sound had a long sustain, almost like a howl
> but it was more of a moaning noise.
>
> any ideas would help.
>
> Is it common for a female to take off for a few dates?
>
> So do you think it was the female that initialed it? Or an aggressive male?
>
> Sorry for all the questions, I am new with cats.

Candace
October 10th 08, 01:48 AM
On Oct 8, 1:54*pm, "Tube Audio" > wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have three feral that I am working with, two males and a female. *They are
> about 1.5 years old. *About a year ago, I trapped neutered and released
> them. *I feed them and am working with them.
>
> Two nights ago I heard loud strange moaning, it lasted under a minute.
>
> I haven't seen the female for two days now. *This is the first time that I
> have not seen her in the morning and the evening when I feed them. *They
> live in my courtyard and backyard.
>
> There are usually no other cats around so I assuming the moaning was two of
> my cats mating. *And it seems strange that I haven't seen the female since I
> heard the moaning.
>
> Any ideas what went on or is going on?
>
> Can / do females go into heat in October, I am in San Mateo California.
>
> If they were mating, do both cats make the moaning noise? *It seemed like
> two noises from two cars. *The sound had a long sustain, almost like a howl
> but it was more of a moaning noise.
>
> any ideas would help.
>
> Is it common for a female to take off for a few dates?
>
> So do you think it was the female that initialed it? *Or an aggressive male?
>
> Sorry for all the questions, I am new with cats.

If they were already neutered, they wouldn't be mating and the female
wouldn't be going into heat.

Cats can make a horrible low howling/moaning sound when they are
fighting. I'd look for her. Or it's possible one of the males fought
with her and scared her away, hopefully only temporarily.

Candace

cybercat
October 10th 08, 01:54 PM
"Candace" > wrote
>Cats can make a horrible low howling/moaning sound when they are
>fighting.

That's what I was thinking.