PDA

View Full Version : A good age to snip a male cat

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 10th 08, 05:49 AM
So Sal is about 8 months old we figure. He has not yet been neutered. I
was planning on having it done next week but now I am beginning to wonder.
Would there be any harm in postponing the surgery a few months, maybe until
January? My beloved and deceased Buddy was neutered fairly late in his life
and the result was he was a pretty rugged and muscular cat for most of his
life. Even had the jowls for a while. He never did spray or anything. Sal
here I think would benefit from some extended testosterone. Or am I just
being silly? I know my very strong and rugged male cat Jack was neutered at
age 8 months and he sure didn't suffer anything for it.

So what are the obvious pros and cons of waiting a bit? If there is no
point in it I will have it done sooner rather than later. At about what age
do they go out looking for fertile females? That alone would be all I need
to do this right away.

Paul

Rene S.
October 10th 08, 02:11 PM
IMHO, I would make the appointment now and get it done ASAP. He is
considered sexually mature at 8 months. Any or all of the un-neutered
male characteristics will start any time now: spraying (not to mention
the stink of un-neutered cat urine!), fighting, roaming. Save yourself
the grief and stress and get it done now.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 10th 08, 03:22 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
> IMHO, I would make the appointment now and get it done ASAP. He is
> considered sexually mature at 8 months. Any or all of the un-neutered
> male characteristics will start any time now: spraying (not to mention
> the stink of un-neutered cat urine!), fighting, roaming. Save yourself
> the grief and stress and get it done now.

Thanks, Rene. I was kind of waffling on this but the more I look into it
the more I see that he is due for snippage now. I was reading earlier that
even after neutering it takes up to 2 months for the testosterone level in
his blood to lower. So that would put him pretty close to a year in age
with a healthy supply of growth hormones.

I guess he'll be Salvadore Sans Testcicles real soon.

Paul

Stan Brown
October 11th 08, 07:56 PM
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 21:49:35 -0700 from Paul M. Cook >:
> So Sal is about 8 months old we figure. He has not yet been neutered. I
> was planning on having it done next week but now I am beginning to wonder.
> Would there be any harm in postponing the surgery a few months, maybe until
> January?

You don't want him to start the habits of an adult male, spraying and
fighting especially. Once those habits are established, neutering
him may not make them go away.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

dejablues[_4_]
October 12th 08, 04:34 AM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> So Sal is about 8 months old we figure. He has not yet been neutered. >

You could have had him neutered a couple months ago.

> So what are the obvious pros and cons of waiting a bit? If there is no
> point in it I will have it done sooner rather than later.

No pros for waiting.

>at about what age do they go out looking for fertile females? That alone
>would be all I need to do this right away.

I sure hope you aren't letting him outside to roam.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 12th 08, 02:23 PM
"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> So Sal is about 8 months old we figure. He has not yet been neutered. >
>
> You could have had him neutered a couple months ago.

That would have been hard to do considering I had no idea he was alive then.

>> So what are the obvious pros and cons of waiting a bit? If there is no
>> point in it I will have it done sooner rather than later.
>
> No pros for waiting.

He's going in next week.

>>at about what age do they go out looking for fertile females? That alone
>>would be all I need to do this right away.
>
> I sure hope you aren't letting him outside to roam.

I just got him 3 weeks ago. He was a stray and I took him in. He does not
yet roam.

Paul

dejablues[_4_]
October 13th 08, 03:25 AM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "dejablues" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>> So Sal is about 8 months old we figure. He has not yet been neutered.
>>> >

>> You could have had him neutered a couple months ago.
>
> That would have been hard to do considering I had no idea he was alive
> then.
>
>>> So what are the obvious pros and cons of waiting a bit? If there is no
>>> point in it I will have it done sooner rather than later.
>>
>> No pros for waiting.
>
> He's going in next week.
>

>>>at about what age do they go out looking for fertile females? That alone
>>>would be all I need to do this right away.
>>
>> I sure hope you aren't letting him outside to roam.
>
> I just got him 3 weeks ago. He was a stray and I took him in. He does
> not yet roam.

The first thing you need (ed) to do was take him to the vet, regardless of
if he's to be neutered or not. IDK if you have other cats, but he could have
parasites or viruses that could harm them. If he's never been to a vet they
won't neuter him until he's had an exam and bloodwork.

dejablues[_4_]
October 13th 08, 12:59 PM

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 13th 08, 04:37 PM
"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> You could have had him neutered a couple months ago.
>>
>> That would have been hard to do considering I had no idea he was alive
>> then.

>>> No pros for waiting.
>>
>> He's going in next week.

>>> I sure hope you aren't letting him outside to roam.
>>
>> I just got him 3 weeks ago. He was a stray and I took him in. He does
>> not yet roam.
>
> The first thing you need (ed) to do was take him to the vet, regardless of
> if he's to be neutered or not. IDK if you have other cats, but he could
> have parasites or viruses that could harm them. If he's never been to a
> vet they won't neuter him until he's had an exam and bloodwork.

Bloodwork was done 2 weeks ago. Had his ear mites taken care of too.

Paul

dejablues[_4_]
October 15th 08, 01:43 AM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "dejablues" > wrote in message

>>> That would have been hard to do considering I had no idea he was alive
>>> then.

>>> He's going in next week.

>>> I just got him 3 weeks ago. He was a stray and I took him in. He does
>>> not yet roam.
>>
>> The first thing you need (ed) to do was take him to the vet, regardless
>> of if he's to be neutered or not. IDK if you have other cats, but he
>> could have parasites or viruses that could harm them. If he's never been
>> to a vet they won't neuter him until he's had an exam and bloodwork.
>

> Bloodwork was done 2 weeks ago. Had his ear mites taken care of too.
>
> Paul

You need to keep on top of those ear mites. They tend to recur.

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
October 16th 08, 10:06 AM
On Oct 10, 12:49*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> So Sal is about 8 months old we figure. *He has not yet been neutered. *I
> was planning on having it done next week but now I am beginning to wonder..
> Would there be any harm in postponing the surgery a few months, maybe until
> January? *My beloved and deceased Buddy was neutered fairly late in his life
> and the result was he was a pretty rugged and muscular cat for most of his
> life. *Even had the jowls for a while. *He never did spray or anything. *Sal
> here I think would benefit from some extended testosterone. *Or am I just
> being silly? *I know my very strong and rugged male cat Jack was neutered at
> age 8 months and he sure didn't suffer anything for it.
>
> So what are the obvious pros and cons of waiting a bit? *If there is no
> point in it I will have it done sooner rather than later. *At about what age
> do they go out looking for fertile females? *That alone would be all I need
> to do this right away.
>
> Paul

Let me ask you one question….. Paul is it....? How would YOU like to
“get ‘snipped’ at ANY age? Maybe you have no use for your testicles,
but don’t you go trying to speak for all males everywhere. It's
unnecessary. It's cruel. And it's WRONG. All you are doing is helping
to finance your Vet's next vacation to Aruba. A barbaric, self-
centered and totally unnecessary procedure.

The Nice Mean Man

http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=28344993

Matthew[_3_]
October 16th 08, 04:03 PM
"The Nice Mean Man" >

Damn we need to snip you anything that breeds with you is going to ****
this world up

cybercat
October 16th 08, 04:26 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "The Nice Mean Man" >
>

> Damn we need to snip you anything that breeds with you is going to
> **** this world up
Not much chance of that happening, now is there?

DWMeowMix
October 16th 08, 04:39 PM
On Oct 16, 9:26*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>
> g.com...
>
> > "The Nice Mean Man" >
>
> > Damn *we need to snip you * *anything that breeds with you is going to
> > **** this world up
>
> Not much chance of that happening, now is there?

One could only wish....

DWMeowMix

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
October 25th 08, 04:53 PM
On Oct 16, 11:03*am, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "The Nice Mean Man" >
>
> Damn *we need to snip you * *anything that breeds with you is going to ****
> this world up

The only thing ****ed up that my generation ever did was to bring YOUR
generation into the world. It was running pretty good up to that
point.

Matthew[_3_]
October 25th 08, 07:02 PM
"The Nice Mean Man" >
< snipped>

Dude get back on your meds. Your fantasy world misses you