PDA

View Full Version : Is dry food okay?

Jeff Caspari
October 14th 08, 07:28 PM
Hi,
We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The vet
said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
kidney problems, etc.

Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?

TIA
Jeff

Janet
October 14th 08, 07:33 PM
"Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The vet
> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> kidney problems, etc.
>
> Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> TIA
> Jeff
I'm sure the experts will answer, but what I'm told is that cats tend to not
drink enough, and the moisture in the canned food helps. I'm also told that
this is more of an issue for male cats.

Rene S.
October 14th 08, 07:39 PM
On Oct 14, 1:28*pm, "Jeff Caspari" > wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. *The vet
> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> kidney problems, etc.
>
> Is that true? *Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> TIA
> Jeff

There are several problems with dry food. One is the obvious lack of
moisture. Dry has a maximum of 10% moisture, while canned (or raw) has
70%. With less moisture in the diet, the urine becomes more
concentrated, which can cause all sorts of problems. Here's a great
article on feline nutrition that you should read: http://www.catinfo.org

cybercat
October 14th 08, 09:55 PM
"Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The vet
> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> kidney problems, etc.
>
> Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?

You have a really good vet. She's right. I saw a huge change in overall
health when I stopped feeding my cats dry food.

There's one good reason for feeding dry: your convenience. That's it. If you
love your cat, go to the trouble of opening a can twice a day.

James
October 14th 08, 11:27 PM
On Oct 14, 4:55*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message

> > Hi,
> > We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. *The vet
> > said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> > kidney problems, etc.
>
> > Is that true? *Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> You have a really good vet. She's right. I saw a huge change in overall
> health when I stopped feeding my cats dry food.
>
> There's one good reason for feeding dry: your convenience. That's it. If you
> love your cat, go to the trouble of opening a can twice a day.

Can't you add water to dry food?

My pussy drinks often and if I don't have water ready she raids the
toilet bowl. All this time I was worried that she drank too much but
I guess it's due to the dry food diet. I stopped offering her chicken
when she started turning up her nose and refusing to eat it.

Matthew[_3_]
October 14th 08, 11:38 PM
"James" > wrote in message
On Oct 14, 4:55 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message

> > Hi,
> > We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The
> > vet
> > said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> > kidney problems, etc.
>
> > Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> You have a really good vet. She's right. I saw a huge change in overall
> health when I stopped feeding my cats dry food.
>
> There's one good reason for feeding dry: your convenience. That's it. If
> you
> love your cat, go to the trouble of opening a can twice a day.

Can't you add water to dry food?

My pussy drinks often and if I don't have water ready she raids the
toilet bowl. All this time I was worried that she drank too much but
I guess it's due to the dry food diet. I stopped offering her chicken
when she started turning up her nose and refusing to eat it.

Even with adding water to the dry food dry food is known to be the
cause of male cat urinary tract problem. I have been lucky with my pack
Ka'shay does not eat wet food. Spirit when he was alive barely ate any
wet food strictly dry the only wet food he really ate got him poisoned
in the pet food recall. Rumble who is diabetic still eats dry food
and wet food but his diabetes is still under control. The others vary but
in all the years only one cats has had problems

dejablues[_4_]
October 15th 08, 01:49 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The
>> vet said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will
>> develop kidney problems, etc.
>>
>> Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>>

> You have a really good vet. She's right. I saw a huge change in overall
> health when I stopped feeding my cats dry food.
>
> There's one good reason for feeding dry: your convenience. That's it. If
> you love your cat, go to the trouble of opening a can twice a day.

Absolutely. Plus, canned food makes cats happy, and when they know it's
feeding time, they appear to be fed. This has proved invaluable when I've
had sick or scaredy cats that were hard to hunt down.
Plus, Purina is a very low-quality food. Is you must feed dry, choose a
better quality kibble, you'll see smaller, less-stinky stools, nicer coat,
and more energy.

Wayne Mitchell
October 15th 08, 02:21 AM
"cybercat" > wrote:

>There's one good reason for feeding dry: your convenience.

There are a couple others, actually. It's cheaper, and less destructive
of the environment.

Jeff,

As you can see, you will find many people on the Internet who will tell
you you're short-changing your cat if you feed dry. And they have many
sources to support that claim -- some of them from faddists, true; but
also some good scholarly articles from reputed sources.

But what they don't have is any statistical evidence from reputable
sources to show that cats who eat only or primarily wet actually live
longer or are generally healthier than cats who eat only or primarily
dry. So even the scholarly writers are really only guessing.

What we do know is that millions of cats live long and healthy lives
eating only dry. If there is any advantage for wet, it can only be
marginal. And since we're all of us only guessing, I'll advance my own
guess that if good population studies were done, dry would be found to
be marginally better.
--

Wayne M.

jmc
October 15th 08, 02:38 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Janet exclaimed (10/14/2008 2:33 PM):
> "Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The vet
>> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
>> kidney problems, etc.
>>
>> Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>>
>> TIA
>> Jeff
> I'm sure the experts will answer, but what I'm told is that cats tend to not
> drink enough, and the moisture in the canned food helps. I'm also told that
> this is more of an issue for male cats.

This is true. I fed Meep an exclusively dry diet for years, because at
the time *that* was the common wisdom. She hardly ever drank water. She
developed cystitis, which took a couple of years to get under control.

My cat is now a carbohydrate junkie (much as I am). I try to feed her
exclusively wet food, but she craves the dry food so she gets a handful
each morning. Helps to keep a bit of weight on her, because she's not
eating enough of the wet food.

The problem is much more serious for male cats, because if they develop
crystals their smaller urinary opening can get blocked, and they can die
in only 24 hours.

Meep also sometimes tests for minor kidney and liver problems, but I
don't know if that's from her dry diet, for from an accident she had as
a kitten, which I think may have damaged a kidney.

Please, feed your kitten wet food. Use dry food as a treat only.
Cystitis is no fun at all, and is much more difficult to deal with when
your cat is addicted to dry food.

jmc

jmc
October 15th 08, 02:42 AM
Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (10/14/2008 6:27 PM):
> On Oct 14, 4:55 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message

>>> Hi,
>>> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The vet
>>> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
>>> kidney problems, etc.
>>> Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>> You have a really good vet. She's right. I saw a huge change in overall
>> health when I stopped feeding my cats dry food.
>>
>> There's one good reason for feeding dry: your convenience. That's it. If you
>> love your cat, go to the trouble of opening a can twice a day.
>
> Can't you add water to dry food?

My understanding is that dry food molds much more easily, so wetted dry
food will go bad even faster than wet food will.

> My pussy drinks often and if I don't have water ready she raids the
> toilet bowl. All this time I was worried that she drank too much but
> I guess it's due to the dry food diet. I stopped offering her chicken
> when she started turning up her nose and refusing to eat it.

I'm glad your cat drinks often. If she's not getting enough from what
you have out though, you need to put out more or bigger bowls. With a
dry diet, even if she's drinking well, she's still at higher risk of
cystitis. Meep continued to have attacks even when I got her to drink
more water - we didn't get the cystitis under control until she went to
a completely wet diet.

FYI, she didn't have her first cystitis attack until she was about 7
years old (he was on an exclusively dry diet to that point), and it has
taken 4 years to finally get it under control - she hasn't had a real
attack in about a year now.

jmc

jmc

jmc
October 15th 08, 02:51 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Wayne Mitchell exclaimed (10/14/2008 9:21 PM):
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> There's one good reason for feeding dry: your convenience.
>
> There are a couple others, actually. It's cheaper, and less destructive
> of the environment.
>
> Jeff,
>
> As you can see, you will find many people on the Internet who will tell
> you you're short-changing your cat if you feed dry. And they have many
> sources to support that claim -- some of them from faddists, true; but
> also some good scholarly articles from reputed sources.
>
> But what they don't have is any statistical evidence from reputable
> sources to show that cats who eat only or primarily wet actually live
> longer or are generally healthier than cats who eat only or primarily
> dry. So even the scholarly writers are really only guessing.
>
> What we do know is that millions of cats live long and healthy lives
> eating only dry. If there is any advantage for wet, it can only be
> marginal. And since we're all of us only guessing, I'll advance my own
> guess that if good population studies were done, dry would be found to
> be marginally better.

Well, I have my own evidence: My cat ate only dry her first 7 years.
She got cystitis, had attacks a couple of times a year until we got her
on to exclusively wet food. Even on high quality and vet urinary
formula dry foods, she would still get attacks.

On dry, she was overweight, and even on a controlled diet I had trouble
keeping her weight down (dry foods are high carb). On wet, she is not.
On dry, even the afore-mentioned high quality and veterinary urinary
formula dry, she had a dryish coat, and shed heavily. Now that she's on
a good quality wet diet, her coat is mink-soft, and she sheds a lot less.

Oh, and on dry she had constant constipation - only poo'd every third
day or so. On wet, she poops every day, as she should.

So, yes, I do have evidence that my cat, at least, is much healthier on
a wet diet.

The problem is, your cat, as my did, may do "well enough" for years on a
dry diet, until he may - or may not - get sick later on. Question is,
do you want to take that chance? I wouldn't.

Personally, both Meep and I *wish* I could feed her dry. She prefers
dry food. I prefer the convenience of dry food, not to mention it's
less expensive. But, it most definitely is the cause of her health
problems, so she eats wet. She gets dry food only as a treat.

jmc

Janet
October 15th 08, 04:04 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The
>> vet said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will
>> develop kidney problems, etc.
>>
>> Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>>

> You have a really good vet. She's right. I saw a huge change in overall
> health when I stopped feeding my cats dry food.
>
> There's one good reason for feeding dry: your convenience. That's it. If
> you love your cat, go to the trouble of opening a can twice a day.

I think that canned food is also significantly more expensive that even very
good dry.

On the other hand, I have to say that the Hairball Queen really stopped
having them when I started feeding her canned food twice a day, with kibble
on the side for her to nibble on.

Jeff Caspari
October 15th 08, 02:28 PM
Thank you so much for your advice.
We will be feeding Milo 'wet'/canned food. There seems to be a reliable
consensus and we want to make sure he's healthy.
Thanks again!!
Jeff

"Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The vet
> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> kidney problems, etc.
>
> Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> TIA
> Jeff

cybercat
October 15th 08, 04:11 PM
"Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message
> Thank you so much for your advice.
> We will be feeding Milo 'wet'/canned food. There seems to be a reliable
> consensus and we want to make sure he's healthy.
> Thanks again!!

You're welcome, Jeff. I hope you will come back and let us know how Milo is
doing, and join the discussions. Also, we love pictures!

cybercat
October 15th 08, 04:58 PM
"Janet" > wrote
> I think that canned food is also significantly more expensive that even
> very good dry.

Good point. These days people are making much harder decisions than "canned
or dry."

DWMeowMix
October 15th 08, 05:45 PM
On Oct 14, 12:28*pm, "Jeff Caspari" > wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. *The vet
> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> kidney problems, etc.
>
> Is that true? *Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> TIA
> Jeff

Your vet is correct. There is nothing in kibble that a cat can derive
any nutrition from. Kibbles are corn/grain based and cats are
obligate carnivores therefore can only live on meat. A cats
physiology has no way to breakdown corns and grains (sugars) to
process them into any kind of useful nutrition. They just aren't
cows. So by feeding a cat a diet that is not natural to it WILL cause
various health problems down the road. Their bodies just don't know
what to do with it, so they start breaking down. Clogs in the
plumbing (kidneys), UTI's, cataracts, skin disorders, and many, many
other diseases are directly linked to something as simple as diet.

There is nothing to be gained by feeding dry food and every reason in
the world not to if you value your new kitten's life. Not to mention
your pocketbook in future vet bills.

Here are some of those non-existant statisics from the Canadian
Veterinary Journal: Dry foods and risk of disease in cats -
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2387258

There are many, many other sources of statisics from professional
veterinary associations and such on this very topic. If you are
interested I can provide you with them.

My suggestion would be to feed your new kitten a very high quality
natural canned food or frozen raw food. I'm a raw feeder that makes
her own, but I do understand that it's not for everyone. Just do your
research, you'll find what's right for you.

DWMeowMix

CatNipped[_2_]
October 15th 08, 06:12 PM
"Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The vet
> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> kidney problems, etc.
>
> Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> TIA
> Jeff

I know you've already decided on canned - and I'm very glad of that. But if
you're interested in learning more, Phil P.'s site is a treasure trove of
good information - here's the page on nutrition:
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Hugs,

CatNipped

DWMeowMix
October 15th 08, 06:50 PM
On Oct 15, 11:12*am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message

> > Hi,
> > We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. *The vet
> > said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> > kidney problems, etc.
>
> > Is that true? *Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> > TIA
> > Jeff
>
> I know you've already decided on canned - and I'm very glad of that. *But if
> you're interested in learning more, Phil P.'s site is a treasure trove of
> good information - here's the page on nutrition:http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Hi CatNipped...wanted to thank you for posting that link. I was very
impressed with his feline nutrition page due to the fact that he was
knowledgeable, put his facts together is a cohesive way and was able
to site his references. I'm already a member of his Yahoo group, but
never made that connection until now. Thanks!

DWMeowMix

DWMeowMix
October 15th 08, 07:36 PM
On Oct 14, 12:28*pm, "Jeff Caspari" > wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. *The vet
> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> kidney problems, etc.
>
> Is that true? *Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> TIA
> Jeff

Ok, you're gonna think I'm overdoing a bit on the subject of
nutrition, but it's a subject I'm VERY passionate about because I've
seen what a change in diet does to improve the health and wellness of
cats, first hand and specifically my 4 cats.

I found an interesting statisical study I found in the International
Journal of Appliced Research in Veterinary Medicine on the "Effect of
Nutritional Interventions on Longevity of Senior Cats". The study was
done over the lifetime of a "group of 90 cats between the ages of 7
and 17 years was
blocked into 3 groups by age, body condition and gender". The cats
where fed 3 different diets. Just to make things short and sweet I'll
post part of the summary below:

"In summary, senior cats fed a diet containing supplemental
antioxidants vitamin E and ‚-carotene, dried chicory root, and a blend
of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids lived significantly longer than cats fed a
standard nutritionally complete feline diet. Positive trends for
decreased incidence of thyroid and gastrointestinal pathologies
suggest that the nutrient blend may provide some protection against
certain disease states that may contribute
to their increased longevity."

Here's the link to the paper with all the charts and graphs and
statisics anyone's little heart could desire:
http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol4Iss1/Vol4Iss1CuppV4N1pp34-50.pdf

Thanks for bearing with me,
DWMeowMix

CatNipped[_2_]
October 15th 08, 08:39 PM
"DWMeowMix" > wrote in message
On Oct 15, 11:12 am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "Jeff Caspari" > wrote in message

> > Hi,
> > We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. The
> > vet
> > said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> > kidney problems, etc.
>
> > Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> > TIA
> > Jeff
>
> I know you've already decided on canned - and I'm very glad of that. But
> if
> you're interested in learning more, Phil P.'s site is a treasure trove of
> good information - here's the page on
> nutrition:http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Hi CatNipped...wanted to thank you for posting that link. I was very
impressed with his feline nutrition page due to the fact that he was
knowledgeable, put his facts together is a cohesive way and was able
to site his references. I'm already a member of his Yahoo group, but
never made that connection until now. Thanks!

DWMeowMix

I'm always going to that site for info myself - and I've recommended it to
countless people who want to learn more about cats. I truly hope he never
takes it down - I think I'd pay for his domain name myself for purely
selfish reasons! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
October 16th 08, 09:57 AM
On Oct 14, 2:28*pm, "Jeff Caspari" > wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. *The vet
> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> kidney problems, etc.
>
> Is that true? *Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> TIA
> Jeff

If your pet gets bad kidneys, it's probably from being bathed in a
Hartz product. At least that's what the lunatics in here will try and
get you to believe.
The bottom line is, I donít know the answer to your question. Try a
neutral source. IOW, SEEK ADVICE ELSEWHERE. Anywhere but hereÖ.

The Nice Mean Man

http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=28345098

DWMeowMix
October 16th 08, 04:04 PM
On Oct 16, 2:57*am, The Nice Mean Man > wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2:28*pm, "Jeff Caspari" > wrote:

> If your pet gets bad kidneys, it's probably from being bathed in a
> Hartz product. At least that's what the lunatics in here will try and
> get you to believe.
> The bottom line is, I donít know the answer to your question. Try a
> neutral source. IOW, SEEK ADVICE ELSEWHERE. Anywhere but hereÖ.
>
> The Nice Mean Man
>
> http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=28345098

FELLOW POSTERS....PLEASE DON'T FEED THIS TROLL.

jmc
October 16th 08, 09:00 PM
Suddenly, without warning, DWMeowMix exclaimed (10/16/2008 11:04 AM):
> On Oct 16, 2:57 am, The Nice Mean Man > wrote:

>> The Nice Mean Man
>>

> FELLOW POSTERS....PLEASE DON'T FEED THIS TROLL.

Not me. I only see him now when people repost his drivel. Killfiles
are cool :)

(note extra snippage)

jmc

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
October 24th 08, 09:19 AM
On Oct 16, 11:04*am, DWMeowMix > wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2:57*am, The Nice Mean Man > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 14, 2:28*pm, "Jeff Caspari" > wrote:
>
> > If your pet gets bad kidneys, it's probably from being bathed in a
> > Hartz product. At least that's what the lunatics in here will try and
> > get you to believe.
> > The bottom line is, I donít know the answer to your question. Try a
> > neutral source. IOW, SEEK ADVICE ELSEWHERE. Anywhere but hereÖ.
>
> > The Nice Mean Man
>
> >http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=28345098
>
> FELLOW POSTERS....PLEASE DON'T FEED THIS TROLL.

Typical fearful narrow-minded coward. If you can't defeat them on the
field of logic, then LABEL then.

Then maybe they'll go away and you wonít have to feel inadequate
anymore.

The Nice Mean Man
October 24th 08, 09:20 AM
On Oct 16, 4:00*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, DWMeowMix exclaimed (10/16/2008 11:04 AM):
>
> > On Oct 16, 2:57 am, The Nice Mean Man > wrote:
> >> The Nice Mean Man
>
> > FELLOW POSTERS....PLEASE DON'T FEED THIS TROLL.
>
> Not me. *I only see him now when people repost his drivel. *Killfiles
> are cool :)
>
> (note extra snippage)
>
> jmc

LOL...!! That's why they let them make so many addies.

Welsh Dog
October 25th 08, 12:24 AM
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:28:47 GMT, "Jeff Caspari" >
wrote:

>Is that true? Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?

House cats are by evolution *desert animals* as such they usually gain
their moisture mainly from the food they catch and eat. Wild cats
(small ones) rarely if ever need to drink!

However, with food that is totally dry they clearly *won't get enough
moisture just from eating so apart from the obvious need to make sure
they have enough fresh water available wet food is better for them...
except of course you really have little idea what 'wet' *or* 'dry'
food is made of!

A friend of mine used to buy frozen mice from the local pet food shop
and defrost one or two a day. It grossed me out so can't do this, but
his cats seemed to thrive on them. He'd also give them fresh chicken
wings on occasion as well... said it helped clean their teeth.

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
(http://australianopinion.com)

Not as strange as it looks!

Fattush
October 26th 08, 04:11 PM
On Oct 14, 12:28*pm, "Jeff Caspari" > wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a new kitten and we have been feeding him Purina dry mix. *The vet
> said she believes cats that eat dry food as the main meal will develop
> kidney problems, etc.
>
> Is that true? *Why can't they make a dry food that won't cause problems?
>
> TIA
> Jeff

I think you should be discussing this with your vet. If you don't
trust this vet, ask a different one.

However, to answer your question, I have been told many dry cat foods
contain chemicals (sometimes it is called "ash") that are potentially
harmful to cats, especially male cats. The ingredients in most dry
foods can cause male cats to get "blocked" in their urinary tracts
requring expensive medical treatment. In some cases, the owner
decided to put the poor cat to sleep.

Not all dry cat foods are the same. Some are low ash or are otherwise
better than others. You may want to ask you vet which ones are the
safest.

Personally, I prefer to give my cats moist food. The fresher the
ingredients the better. Fresh beef, chicken, fish, liver, etc. They
often love it and I believe it is more healthfull than something laced
with artificial ingredients.

For convenience, I often give my cat canned food, but again, moist
food, not dry. Only once in a while I give him dry food.

Fattush
October 26th 08, 04:15 PM
On Oct 14, 7:42*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (10/14/2008 6:27 PM):

> >> You have a really good vet. She's right. I saw a huge change in overall
> >> health when I stopped feeding my cats dry food.
>
> >> There's one good reason for feeding dry: your convenience. That's it. If you
> >> love your cat, go to the trouble of opening a can twice a day.
>
> > Can't you add water to dry food?
>
> My understanding is that dry food molds much more easily, so wetted dry
> food will go bad even faster than wet food will.
>
> > My pussy drinks often and if I don't have water ready she raids the
> > toilet bowl. *All this time I was worried that she drank too much but
> > I guess it's due to the dry food diet. *I stopped offering her chicken
> > when she started turning up her nose and refusing to eat it.
>
> I'm glad your cat drinks often. *If she's not getting enough from what
> you have out though, you need to put out more or bigger bowls. *With a
> dry diet, even if she's drinking well, she's still at higher risk of
> cystitis. *Meep continued to have attacks even when I got her to drink
> more water - we didn't get the cystitis under control until she went to
> a completely wet diet.
>
> FYI, she didn't have her first cystitis attack until she was about 7
> years old (he was on an exclusively dry diet to that point), and it has
> taken 4 years to finally get it under control - she hasn't had a real
> attack in about a year now.
>
> jmc
>
> jmc- Hide quoted text -

I've owned several cats over the years and fed them mostly wet food;
I'd give them dry food only once in a while.

None of my cats ever had cystitis or kidney problems. They all lived
to be quite old and were healthy their whole (9 hee hee) lives other
than an occasional cold.

jmc
October 26th 08, 07:20 PM
Suddenly, without warning, The Nice Mean Man exclaimed (10/24/2008 4:20 AM):
> On Oct 16, 4:00 pm, jmc > wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, DWMeowMix exclaimed (10/16/2008 11:04 AM):

>>> FELLOW POSTERS....PLEASE DON'T FEED THIS TROLL.
>> Not me. I only see him now when people repost his drivel. Killfiles
>> are cool :)
>>
>> (note extra snippage)
>>
>> jmc
>
> LOL...!! That's why they let them make so many addies.

....and why good killfiles are so easy to use. I can plonk you, as I
already did, in less than 5 seconds.

jmc

jmc
October 26th 08, 07:21 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Fattush exclaimed (10/26/2008 12:15 PM):
> On Oct 14, 7:42 pm, jmc > wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (10/14/2008 6:27 PM):

>>> Can't you add water to dry food?
>> My understanding is that dry food molds much more easily, so wetted dry
>> food will go bad even faster than wet food will.
>>
>>> My pussy drinks often and if I don't have water ready she raids the
>>> toilet bowl. All this time I was worried that she drank too much but
>>> I guess it's due to the dry food diet. I stopped offering her chicken
>>> when she started turning up her nose and refusing to eat it.
>> I'm glad your cat drinks often. If she's not getting enough from what
>> you have out though, you need to put out more or bigger bowls. With a
>> dry diet, even if she's drinking well, she's still at higher risk of
>> cystitis. Meep continued to have attacks even when I got her to drink
>> more water - we didn't get the cystitis under control until she went to
>> a completely wet diet.
>>
>> FYI, she didn't have her first cystitis attack until she was about 7
>> years old (he was on an exclusively dry diet to that point), and it has
>> taken 4 years to finally get it under control - she hasn't had a real
>> attack in about a year now.
>>
>> jmc
>>
>> jmc- Hide quoted text -

> I've owned several cats over the years and fed them mostly wet food;
> I'd give them dry food only once in a while.
>
> None of my cats ever had cystitis or kidney problems. They all lived
> to be quite old and were healthy their whole (9 hee hee) lives other
> than an occasional cold.

Which is additional anecdotal evidence that feeding a mainly wet diet
will help keep cats healthy and live longer.

jmc