PDA

View Full Version : Going to move the litter box.

James
October 19th 08, 01:10 PM
My pussy usually does her business outdoors but I have a litter box in
the bedroom just in case. Well, this morning she had to go and I was
too lazy to let her out. Big mistake. She took a big dump and it
smelled. Made me get up and take the box outdoor. Smell still in the
bedroom so I can't sleep.

Is she going to find the box in time if I move it to another room?
Wouldn't want her to run around looking while she's about to burst.

Gail[_2_]
October 19th 08, 03:50 PM
You should have two boxes for one cat. Show her (repeatedly) where you are
moving the new box.
Gail
"James" > wrote in message
> My pussy usually does her business outdoors but I have a litter box in
> the bedroom just in case. Well, this morning she had to go and I was
> too lazy to let her out. Big mistake. She took a big dump and it
> smelled. Made me get up and take the box outdoor. Smell still in the
> bedroom so I can't sleep.
>
> Is she going to find the box in time if I move it to another room?
> Wouldn't want her to run around looking while she's about to burst.

jmc
October 19th 08, 05:29 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Gail exclaimed (10/19/2008 10:50 AM):
> You should have two boxes for one cat. Show her (repeatedly) where you are
> moving the new box.
> Gail
> "James" > wrote in message
>> My pussy usually does her business outdoors but I have a litter box in
>> the bedroom just in case. Well, this morning she had to go and I was
>> too lazy to let her out. Big mistake. She took a big dump and it
>> smelled. Made me get up and take the box outdoor. Smell still in the
>> bedroom so I can't sleep.
>>
>> Is she going to find the box in time if I move it to another room?
>> Wouldn't want her to run around looking while she's about to burst.

When I've had to move a box, I show Meep that the box isn't where it was
anymore, then show her were it is now. Only ever had to do it once, not
been any accidents. Cats are individual though, so YMMV.

Definitely show her where it is though.

jmc

cshenk
October 20th 08, 12:47 AM
"James" wrote

> My pussy usually does her business outdoors but I have a litter box in
> the bedroom just in case. Well, this morning she had to go and I was
> too lazy to let her out. Big mistake. She took a big dump and it
> smelled. Made me get up and take the box outdoor. Smell still in the
> bedroom so I can't sleep.
>
> Is she going to find the box in time if I move it to another room?
> Wouldn't want her to run around looking while she's about to burst.

Grin, just take the one (while she's there and can watch) to a new location.
Make sure there's no swinging doors she cant get past (like a closed bedroom
one at night) to get to it and all will be fine.

BTW, I disagree that you need 2 pans per cat. I found when I had 2 for 4
cats, they were happy but with only 2 cats, there was confusion with 2 pans
in different rooms and *occasional* accidents of the almost 'which way do i
go' dithering.

MaryL
October 20th 08, 02:11 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "James" wrote
>
>> My pussy usually does her business outdoors but I have a litter box in
>> the bedroom just in case. Well, this morning she had to go and I was
>> too lazy to let her out. Big mistake. She took a big dump and it
>> smelled. Made me get up and take the box outdoor. Smell still in the
>> bedroom so I can't sleep.
>>
>> Is she going to find the box in time if I move it to another room?
>> Wouldn't want her to run around looking while she's about to burst.
>
> Grin, just take the one (while she's there and can watch) to a new
> location. Make sure there's no swinging doors she cant get past (like a
> closed bedroom one at night) to get to it and all will be fine.
>
> BTW, I disagree that you need 2 pans per cat. I found when I had 2 for 4
> cats, they were happy but with only 2 cats, there was confusion with 2
> pans in different rooms and *occasional* accidents of the almost 'which
> way do i go' dithering.

Some cats (again, it depends on the cat) show a definite preference to use
one pan for urine and another for solid waste. Separate pans with more than
one cat also avoids problems if one cat is already using the box when the
other cat wants a litter box. I have never seen litter box "confusion."
However, Duffy did show a very definite preference to have a box in one
particular location. I tried to move that box a few weeks after I adopted
him, and he started to use that corner for urine *without* a box. When I
moved the box back, all was well. There has never been another "accident"
in the five years since I adopted him. He was not confused -- he knew where
each of the boxes were, but he was used to having it in that location and
clearly showed me that that was the only acceptable location.

MaryL