PDA

View Full Version : decapitated squirrel

honeybunch
October 20th 08, 04:19 AM
This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. The
cat was outside. We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
garden. I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
his weird. I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
head, bit the head off, swallowed the head and then left the corpse
alone. The squirrel was unmarked except for the missing head. If
ever Snappy catches anything it is to play with. He usually brings the
catch into the house. This year he caught 2 butterflies. Last year
he caught 2 birds. He brings them in and usually they wind up flying
around the house. But this headless squirrel is scary. I cant
imagine him biting off the head and leaving the body. If he caught
it, it would not be by the head. Could a hawk have caught it and
dropped it? I am sorry to say that I think the neighbor caught it in
a humane trap, cut its head off, and threw it in my garden for a joke
or some insane reason. What else could it be? I dont see the cat
just biting the head off a squirrel and leaving the corpse with no
marks on it and not even hanging around it or dragging it in the
house. It was a ways from the house.

cybercat
October 20th 08, 06:01 AM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
> This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. The
> cat was outside. We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
> garden. I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
> his weird. I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
> head

Keep the gd cat in the house and you won't have to wonder. What the hell is
wrong with you?

Gandalf
October 20th 08, 06:09 AM
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:19:05 -0700 (PDT), honeybunch
> wrote:

>This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. The
>cat was outside. We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
>garden. I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
>his weird. I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
>head, bit the head off, swallowed the head and then left the corpse
>alone. The squirrel was unmarked except for the missing head. If
>ever Snappy catches anything it is to play with. He usually brings the
>catch into the house. This year he caught 2 butterflies. Last year
>he caught 2 birds. He brings them in and usually they wind up flying
>around the house. But this headless squirrel is scary. I cant
>imagine him biting off the head and leaving the body. If he caught
>it, it would not be by the head. Could a hawk have caught it and
>dropped it? I am sorry to say that I think the neighbor caught it in
>a humane trap, cut its head off, and threw it in my garden for a joke
>or some insane reason. What else could it be? I dont see the cat
>just biting the head off a squirrel and leaving the corpse with no
>marks on it and not even hanging around it or dragging it in the
>house. It was a ways from the house.

I was your insane neighbor, without a doubt. This simply doesn't happen
without human intervention.

The world is full of small, mean, cruel people. Your neighbor is one of
them.

I hope you can keep your cat(s) indoors, lest the same thing happen to
them.

Statistically, the odds that he will do this, or worse, again, are very
close to 100%.

As he is insane, don't talk to him about this. He will either enjoy that
you are upset about it, or grow angry that you 'caught' him, and
retaliate.

It is painful to think, what he might do.

Please bury the poor squirrel, and the less you talk about it to your
neighbors, the better. If you haven't said anything so far, don't.

Be very wary of this nutjob.

Be safe.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 20th 08, 03:25 PM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
> This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. The
> cat was outside. We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
> garden. I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
> his weird. I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
> head, bit the head off, swallowed the head and then left the corpse
> alone. The squirrel was unmarked except for the missing head. If
> ever Snappy catches anything it is to play with. He usually brings the
> catch into the house. This year he caught 2 butterflies. Last year
> he caught 2 birds. He brings them in and usually they wind up flying
> around the house. But this headless squirrel is scary. I cant
> imagine him biting off the head and leaving the body. If he caught
> it, it would not be by the head. Could a hawk have caught it and
> dropped it? I am sorry to say that I think the neighbor caught it in
> a humane trap, cut its head off, and threw it in my garden for a joke
> or some insane reason. What else could it be? I dont see the cat
> just biting the head off a squirrel and leaving the corpse with no
> marks on it and not even hanging around it or dragging it in the
> house. It was a ways from the house.

Cats eat the animal from the soft parts like the abdomen then outward. They
do not cleanly decapitate. If the cat had killed the squirrel the nexk
would have been broken. They grab prey by the neck and shake it really
hard. Hawks would not hunt this way either. If it dropped the squirrel it
would have been intact. They eat their prey by ripping it to pieces.
Hardly neat and tidy. Your neighbor most surely killed the squirrel.

Paul

James
October 20th 08, 06:27 PM
On Oct 20, 10:25*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "honeybunch" > wrote in message

> > This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. *The
> > cat was outside. *We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
> > garden. *I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
> > his weird. *I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
> > head, bit the head off, swallowed the head and then *left the corpse
> > alone. The squirrel was unmarked except for the missing head. * If
> > ever Snappy catches anything it is to play with. He usually brings the
> > catch into the house. *This year he caught 2 butterflies. *Last year
> > he caught 2 birds. *He brings them in and usually they wind up flying
> > around the house. *But this headless squirrel is scary. *I cant
> > imagine him biting off the head and leaving the body. *If he caught
> > it, it would not be by the head. *Could a hawk have caught it and
> > dropped it? *I am sorry to say that I think the neighbor caught it in
> > a humane trap, cut its head off, and threw it in my garden for a joke
> > or some insane reason. *What else could it be? *I dont see the cat
> > just biting the head off a squirrel and leaving the corpse with no
> > marks on it and not even hanging around it or dragging it in the
> > house. *It was a ways from the house.
>
> Cats eat the animal from the soft parts like the abdomen then outward. *They
> do not cleanly decapitate. *If the cat had killed the squirrel the nexk
> would have been broken. *They grab prey by the neck and shake it really
> hard. *Hawks would not hunt this way either. *If it dropped the squirrel it
> would have been intact. *They eat their prey by ripping it to pieces.
> Hardly neat and tidy. *Your neighbor most surely killed the squirrel.
>
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

I've seen a cat eat the head of a small rabbit decades ago. Don't
remember much about it except I was surprised that it would eat the
boney head. Maybe the brain has nutrition the cat needed.

S.Smith
October 20th 08, 07:26 PM
"Gandalf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:19:05 -0700 (PDT), honeybunch
> > wrote:
>
>>This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. The
>>cat was outside. We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
>>garden. I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
>>his weird. I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
>>head, bit the head off, swallowed the head and then left the corpse
>>alone. The squirrel was unmarked except for the missing head. If
>>ever Snappy catches anything it is to play with. He usually brings the
>>catch into the house. This year he caught 2 butterflies. Last year
>>he caught 2 birds. He brings them in and usually they wind up flying
>>around the house. But this headless squirrel is scary. I cant
>>imagine him biting off the head and leaving the body. If he caught
>>it, it would not be by the head. Could a hawk have caught it and
>>dropped it? I am sorry to say that I think the neighbor caught it in
>>a humane trap, cut its head off, and threw it in my garden for a joke
>>or some insane reason. What else could it be? I dont see the cat
>>just biting the head off a squirrel and leaving the corpse with no
>>marks on it and not even hanging around it or dragging it in the
>>house. It was a ways from the house.
>
> I was your insane neighbor, without a doubt. This simply doesn't happen
> without human intervention.
>
> The world is full of small, mean, cruel people. Your neighbor is one of
> them.
>
> I hope you can keep your cat(s) indoors, lest the same thing happen to
> them.
>
> Statistically, the odds that he will do this, or worse, again, are very
> close to 100%.
>
> As he is insane, don't talk to him about this. He will either enjoy that
> you are upset about it, or grow angry that you 'caught' him, and
> retaliate.
>
> It is painful to think, what he might do.
>
> Please bury the poor squirrel, and the less you talk about it to your
> neighbors, the better. If you haven't said anything so far, don't.
>
> Be very wary of this nutjob.
>
> Be safe.

Please heed the advice of gandalf. Your cat could be the next victim...keep
the cat indoors.

dejablues[_4_]
October 21st 08, 12:31 AM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
> This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. The
> cat was outside. We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
> garden. I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
> his weird. I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
> head, bit the head off, swallowed the head and then left the corpse
> alone. The squirrel was unmarked except for the missing head. If
> ever Snappy catches anything it is to play with. He usually brings the
> catch into the house. This year he caught 2 butterflies. Last year
> he caught 2 birds. He brings them in and usually they wind up flying
> around the house. But this headless squirrel is scary.

You letting your cat outdoors to kill and maim wildlife, and eventually
become a victim of some larger predator is what's scary, numbnuts.

Stan Brown
October 21st 08, 11:48 AM
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 05:09:16 GMT from Gandalf >:

> I was your insane neighbor, without a doubt.

:-)

We need a spell checker that proofs what we mean, not what we type.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Gumby
October 21st 08, 01:55 PM
On Oct 20, 1:26*pm, "S.Smith" > wrote:
> "Gandalf" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:19:05 -0700 (PDT), honeybunch
> > > wrote:
>
> >>This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. *The
> >>cat was outside. *We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
> >>garden. *I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
> >>his weird. *I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
> >>head, bit the head off, swallowed the head and then *left the corpse
> >>alone. The squirrel was unmarked except for the missing head. * If
> >>ever Snappy catches anything it is to play with. He usually brings the
> >>catch into the house. *This year he caught 2 butterflies. *Last year
> >>he caught 2 birds. *He brings them in and usually they wind up flying
> >>around the house. *But this headless squirrel is scary. *I cant
> >>imagine him biting off the head and leaving the body. *If he caught
> >>it, it would not be by the head. *Could a hawk have caught it and
> >>dropped it? *I am sorry to say that I think the neighbor caught it in
> >>a humane trap, cut its head off, and threw it in my garden for a joke
> >>or some insane reason. *What else could it be? *I dont see the cat
> >>just biting the head off a squirrel and leaving the corpse with no
> >>marks on it and not even hanging around it or dragging it in the
> >>house. *It was a ways from the house.
>
> > I was your insane neighbor, without a doubt. This simply doesn't happen
> > without human intervention.
>
> > The world is full of small, mean, cruel people. Your neighbor is one of
> > them.
>
> > I hope you can keep your cat(s) indoors, lest the same thing happen to
> > them.
>
> > Statistically, the odds that he will do this, or worse, again, are very
> > close to 100%.
>
> > As he is insane, don't talk to him about this. He will either enjoy that
> > you are upset about it, or grow angry that you 'caught' him, and
> > retaliate.
>
> > It is painful to think, what he might do.
>
> > Please bury the poor squirrel, and the less you talk about it to your
> > neighbors, the better. If you haven't said anything so far, don't.
>
> > Be very wary of this nutjob.
>
> > Be safe.
>
> Please heed the advice of gandalf. *Your cat could be the next victim....keep
> the cat indoors.

In fact, this may have been a message - maybe the nutty neighbor
doesn't like the cat wandering into his yard?

CatNipped[_2_]
October 21st 08, 06:12 PM
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> Mon, 20 Oct 2008 05:09:16 GMT from Gandalf >:
>
>> I was your insane neighbor, without a doubt.
>
> :-)
>
> We need a spell checker that proofs what we mean, not what we type.

And here I thought you were confessing to the crime! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

> http://OakRoadSystems.com
> Shikata ga nai...

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
October 25th 08, 04:51 PM
On Oct 19, 11:19*pm, honeybunch > wrote:
> This happened today and it upset me and my son who was visiting. *The
> cat was outside. *We went out and found a headless squirrel in the
> garden. *I do have a peculiar neighbor but he has never done anything
> his weird. *I really dont believe my small cat caught a squirel by the
> head, bit the head off, swallowed the head and then *left the corpse
> alone. The squirrel was unmarked except for the missing head. * If
> ever Snappy catches anything it is to play with. He usually brings the
> catch into the house. *This year he caught 2 butterflies. *Last year
> he caught 2 birds. *He brings them in and usually they wind up flying
> around the house. *But this headless squirrel is scary. *I cant
> imagine him biting off the head and leaving the body. *If he caught
> it, it would not be by the head. *Could a hawk have caught it and
> dropped it? *I am sorry to say that I think the neighbor caught it in
> a humane trap, cut its head off, and threw it in my garden for a joke
> or some insane reason. *What else could it be? *I dont see the cat
> just biting the head off a squirrel and leaving the corpse with no
> marks on it and not even hanging around it or dragging it in the
> house. *It was a ways from the house.

Cats are vicious, violent and very effective hunters. It wouldn’t
surprise me if he did it. What does surprise me is that he didn’t
deliver his kill to your front door mat.

cshenk
October 25th 08, 05:06 PM
"The Nice Mean Man" wrote

>> Could a hawk have caught it and
>> dropped it?

> Cats are vicious, violent and very effective hunters. It wouldn’t
> surprise me if he did it.

More likely is 2 birds, large ones, and one tried to take it from the other
in flight. That can cause this sort of damage. Upsetting yes, also part of
nature.