PDA

View Full Version : Feline Leukemia and isolation after vaccine

Brian S. Paskin
October 21st 08, 02:38 PM
Hi All,

I have one cat with Feline Leukemia (FeLV). She has been living with
the disease for 3 years symptom free. She does take Alpha Interferon
to help her, just in case.

I received a 4 month old kitten that was left at my local no kill
shelter. I kept the cats separated for the first day. The second day
I took the kitten to the vet and he is well. Besides taking the
normal blood for tests, they gave him the FeLV vaccine. This requires
him to have another shot in 3 to 4 weeks. Until then the vet said
that I must isolated from the other cat.

Does anyone know if this is correct? I hate isolating my cats.

Thanks, Brian

Wendy
October 22nd 08, 11:25 AM
"Brian S. Paskin" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have one cat with Feline Leukemia (FeLV). She has been living with
> the disease for 3 years symptom free. She does take Alpha Interferon
> to help her, just in case.
>
> I received a 4 month old kitten that was left at my local no kill
> shelter. I kept the cats separated for the first day. The second day
> I took the kitten to the vet and he is well. Besides taking the
> normal blood for tests, they gave him the FeLV vaccine. This requires
> him to have another shot in 3 to 4 weeks. Until then the vet said
> that I must isolated from the other cat.
>
> Does anyone know if this is correct? I hate isolating my cats.
>
> Thanks, Brian

If the vet said to keep them separated then keep them separated. Leukemia is
highly contagious and the vaccines aren't 100% effective. You are not only
taking some risk (even after the 3 - 4 weeks) that the new kitten could
still contract the disease but are subjecting the kitten to the risk of
injection site sarcoma that has been linked in particular to this vaccine.

I'm not sure why you would bring a negative kitten into this situation but
having done so, I wouldn't take the slightest additional risk by rushing the
introduction of the cats.

Rene S.
October 22nd 08, 04:31 PM
I would also follow the vet's advice and keep them separated. It's
tough love but it would be tougher to have her contract FeLV.