PDA

View Full Version : Cat suddenly waking us up

Talker
October 23rd 08, 09:39 AM
Twitch is a 3 year old foundling. She was an outside cat who adopted us
over more than a year long procedure. She started out showing up
occasionally, then every day. We fed her because she looked starved.
She wouldn't let us near her, but for a while she hung out. She lived
out outside and allowed us to feed her and build her a cat house to live
in. After several months she allowed us to pet her and sit with her.
She didn't exhibit any signs of wanting to come in, until winter. Even
then she prefered her heated bed. We worked on getting her to come in
until finally during the coldest part of the winter she starting come
in.

Finally, last winter we coaxed her into coming inside at night and
staying outside during the day. Now mostly she stays inside even when
we go to work and just goes out for periodic quick trips of an hour or
so. During the night she tends to sleep quietly on one of her trusty
perches and doesn't bother us until we get up. She waits to be fed and
then goes out for a while. Normally she comes back in after a few
minutes to an hour. When we leave for work she used to go out and stay
but as I said now she mostly just curls up and sleeps till we get home,
though there are days when she goes out and disappears. When we come
home she is waiting in one of the deck chairs and comes in. Sometimes
she might go back out for a while or she may stay in. But she has
gotten where she always stays in for the night.

Over the weekend, things changed. About 3AM to 5AM she gets very
insistent to go out. VERY INSISTENT. The problem is as soon as you let
her out she wants right back in. If you let her in she wants right back
out. When she does go out she stands on the doorstep and cry out like
she wants back in, but if you open the door she runs down to the bottom
of the steps and waits till you close the door then runs back up to the
top and cries. If you go out she runs up like she is happen to see you.
If you pick her up shes wants back down. Then she runs away alternating
between running away and rubbibg your legs. She acts sometimes like she
wants you yo follow her.

Finally, she comes back in for a while and up until we go to work she
runs through this routine several times. When we leave for work she is
INSISTENT about staying outside instead of inside. Then when we come
home she goes back to being her old self until the next morning.

She just had her physical and was in excellent heath. She is fixed (we
think). The vet says she has the scar and of course the fact she hasn't
shown up pregnant in almost two years as evidence. Anyway, it's not
like she's in heat.

We are at our wits end which is NOT being helped b the lack of a good
nights sleep. Anyone have any suggestions.

--
Constitution; Bill of Rights; -- Void where prohibited by law

Rene S.
October 23rd 08, 02:04 PM
Have you tried a couple of play sessions just before you go to bed to
tire her out? Can you feed her just before bedtime so she is full and
content?

barb
October 23rd 08, 03:45 PM
Yes, I have a suggestion. Since she seems to want you to follow her, do it.
It's possible she might have a litter of kittens out there or maybe she has
rescued a kitten.

Barb

Talker
October 23rd 08, 09:47 PM
For those who asked:

Twitch has dry food available for grazing even at night, so she's not
hungry.

I do play with her at night with her lazer pointer and her bird, the same
as always.

She does use a litter box and I haven't noticed any changes there. No
increase / decrease, blood, etc.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't have kittens out there. She never put on
weight, except the normal fat pads, and never had any development in the
nipples, and I haven't noticed any increase in the nesting instinct.
Someone suggested she may have found a kitten which I suppose is possible.

If she had a litter or adopted one why would she act this way only in the
morning. At night when I get home she's exactly the way she has always
been right up to going to bed. The change in attitude in only EARLY in the
morning.

I did try following her to see if she really wanted to show me something
but she doesn't actually go anywhere in particular. She just sort or
wanders around.

--
Constitution; Bill of Rights; -- Void where prohibited by law

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
October 24th 08, 09:11 AM
On Oct 23, 4:39*am, Talker > wrote:
> Twitch is a 3 year old foundling. *She wa...

<snip>

PUT CAT IN OTHER ROOM SO U CAN SLEEP.

Wendy
October 24th 08, 12:14 PM
"Talker" > wrote in message
> For those who asked:
>
> Twitch has dry food available for grazing even at night, so she's not
> hungry.
>
> I do play with her at night with her lazer pointer and her bird, the same
> as always.
>
> She does use a litter box and I haven't noticed any changes there. No
> increase / decrease, blood, etc.
>
> I'm pretty sure she doesn't have kittens out there. She never put on
> weight, except the normal fat pads, and never had any development in the
> nipples, and I haven't noticed any increase in the nesting instinct.
> Someone suggested she may have found a kitten which I suppose is possible.
>
> If she had a litter or adopted one why would she act this way only in the
> morning. At night when I get home she's exactly the way she has always
> been right up to going to bed. The change in attitude in only EARLY in
> the
> morning.
>
> I did try following her to see if she really wanted to show me something
> but she doesn't actually go anywhere in particular. She just sort or
> wanders around.
>

> --
> Constitution; Bill of Rights; -- Void where prohibited by law

She's trying to tell you something.

I'd get her to a vet soon and ask about having a urine test and maybe some
blood work run. You wouldn't necessarily see any evidence of a problem in
the litterbox as your cat isn't exclusively using it.

cshenk
October 24th 08, 06:51 PM
"Talker" wrote

> If you pick her up shes wants back down. Then she runs away alternating
> between running away and rubbibg your legs. She acts sometimes like she
> wants you yo follow her.

Obviously she's trying to tell you something. I come up with 2 possibles
here (I don't rule out something medical but can't think what would make it
hit at just this hour if medical like UTI etc).

1- There is another stray, possibly kitten, coming up just at that time.
She may feel like it's her kitten, but by the time she gets outside, it's
gone off elsewhere. If you leave kibble outside, you may find another cat
before much longer. The other may be afraid of her and unaware she wants to
mother it.

2- False pregnancy or false heat. This can be sporadic and if that is it,
it will go away in about a week.

cybercat
October 24th 08, 08:37 PM
"Talker" > wrote :

> I'm pretty sure she doesn't have kittens out there. She never put on
> weight, except the normal fat pads, and never had any development in the
> nipples, and I haven't noticed any increase in the nesting instinct.
> Someone suggested she may have found a kitten which I suppose is possible.

Why isn't this cat, which you let outside, spayed?

cshenk
October 24th 08, 09:54 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Talker" > wrote :
>>
>> I'm pretty sure she doesn't have kittens out there. She never put on
>> weight, except the normal fat pads, and never had any development in the
>> nipples, and I haven't noticed any increase in the nesting instinct.
>> Someone suggested she may have found a kitten which I suppose is
>> possible.
>
> Why isn't this cat, which you let outside, spayed?

The cat is. As she said at the start.

cybercat
October 24th 08, 09:58 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Talker" > wrote :
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure she doesn't have kittens out there. She never put on
>>> weight, except the normal fat pads, and never had any development in
>>> the
>>> nipples, and I haven't noticed any increase in the nesting instinct.
>>> Someone suggested she may have found a kitten which I suppose is
>>> possible.
>>
>> Why isn't this cat, which you let outside, spayed?
>
> The cat is. As she said at the start.

Then why is she speculating about whether or not the cat is pregnant?

honeybunch
October 24th 08, 10:34 PM
On Oct 24, 4:58*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message

> >> Why isn't this cat, which you let outside, spayed?
>
> > The cat is. *As she said at the start.
>
> Then why is she speculating about whether or not the cat is pregnant?- Hide quoted text -

This is what she wrote: "She is fixed (we
think). The vet says she has the scar and of course the fact she
hasn't
shown up pregnant in almost two years as evidence." so thats why.

Dont forget that cats are crepuscular and daybreak is the time they
are most active. So she's doing what comes naturally. In the olden
days one would put the cat out at night. But now that is too scarey
to do and not recommended at all. She just wants to start her day.
You could try feeding her right before bedtime and leaving food for
her for a night time snack or two.

cybercat
October 24th 08, 10:45 PM
"honeybunch" > wrote

> >> Why isn't this cat, which you let outside, spayed?
>
> > The cat is. As she said at the start.
>
> Then why is she speculating about whether or not the cat is pregnant?
>

>This is what she wrote: "She is fixed (we
>think). The vet says she has the scar and of course the fact she
>hasn'tshown up pregnant in almost two years as evidence." so thats why.

I see. Thank you, I missed that.

cshenk
October 25th 08, 03:03 AM
"cybercat" wrote

>>> Why isn't this cat, which you let outside, spayed?

>> The cat is. As she said at the start.
> Then why is she speculating about whether or not the cat is pregnant?

She isnt. REad more carefully. She's speculating the cat may have adopted
a kitten she thinks is hers.

cybercat
October 25th 08, 05:03 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" wrote

>>> The cat is. As she said at the start.
>> Then why is she speculating about whether or not the cat is pregnant?
>
> She isnt. REad more carefully. She's speculating the cat may have
> adopted a kitten she thinks is hers.

We cleared this up several posts ago.

Talker
October 28th 08, 12:44 AM
BATS!!! Bats have moved into the neighborhood, coming out early in the
morning flying around the street lights eating the insects. Cats can hear
the bats and LOVE bats. Twitch especially loves bats. Figured it out when
it rained and she let us sleep thru the night. Rain, no insects in the
lights, no bats. Rain stops, bats come back out. Its a temporary problem
as the bats will move on to better grounds shortly.

This of course brings out another problem. Twitch wants to bring them home
to us, usually alive. She brings home LOTS of things alive for us to play
with. In the past year, I can't tell you how many ground squirrels, tree
squirrels, field mice, and snakes she has brought home for us. If we are
home she tries to give them to us alive. If we are gone, we find them on
the doorstep after she has finished playing with them. There is nothing
like having her dump a live something in your lap. "I haz skerl - naw u
haz skerl" Not looking forward to a bat!

Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions.

--
Constitution; Bill of Rights; -- Void where prohibited by law

dgk
October 28th 08, 01:03 PM
On 28 Oct 2008 00:44:50 GMT, Talker > wrote:

>BATS!!! Bats have moved into the neighborhood, coming out early in the
>morning flying around the street lights eating the insects. Cats can hear
>the bats and LOVE bats. Twitch especially loves bats. Figured it out when
>it rained and she let us sleep thru the night. Rain, no insects in the
>lights, no bats. Rain stops, bats come back out. Its a temporary problem
>as the bats will move on to better grounds shortly.
>
>This of course brings out another problem. Twitch wants to bring them home
>to us, usually alive. She brings home LOTS of things alive for us to play
>with. In the past year, I can't tell you how many ground squirrels, tree
>squirrels, field mice, and snakes she has brought home for us. If we are
>home she tries to give them to us alive. If we are gone, we find them on
>the doorstep after she has finished playing with them. There is nothing
>like having her dump a live something in your lap. "I haz skerl - naw u
>haz skerl" Not looking forward to a bat!
>
>Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions.

Interesting. I was thinking about putting up a bat house so they'd eat
all the mosquitos and I could go out into my backyard without spraying
deet all over me. But if it's going to drive my cats crazy then
perhaps I need another solution.

Matthew[_3_]
October 28th 08, 05:28 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On 28 Oct 2008 00:44:50 GMT, Talker > wrote:
>
>>BATS!!! Bats have moved into the neighborhood, coming out early in the
>>morning flying around the street lights eating the insects. Cats can hear
>>the bats and LOVE bats. Twitch especially loves bats. Figured it out
>>when
>>it rained and she let us sleep thru the night. Rain, no insects in the
>>lights, no bats. Rain stops, bats come back out. Its a temporary problem
>>as the bats will move on to better grounds shortly.
>>
>>This of course brings out another problem. Twitch wants to bring them
>>home
>>to us, usually alive. She brings home LOTS of things alive for us to play
>>with. In the past year, I can't tell you how many ground squirrels, tree
>>squirrels, field mice, and snakes she has brought home for us. If we are
>>home she tries to give them to us alive. If we are gone, we find them on
>>the doorstep after she has finished playing with them. There is nothing
>>like having her dump a live something in your lap. "I haz skerl - naw u
>>haz skerl" Not looking forward to a bat!
>>
>>Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions.
>

> Interesting. I was thinking about putting up a bat house so they'd eat
> all the mosquitos and I could go out into my backyard without spraying
> deet all over me. But if it's going to drive my cats crazy then
> perhaps I need another solution.

plant eucalyptus plants

Rene S.
October 28th 08, 06:59 PM
On Oct 27, 7:44*pm, Talker > wrote:
> BATS!!! *Bats have moved into the neighborhood, coming out early in the
> morning flying around the street lights eating the insects. *Cats can hear
> the bats and LOVE bats. *Twitch especially loves bats. *Figured it out when
> it rained and she let us sleep thru the night. *Rain, no insects in the
> lights, no bats. *Rain stops, bats come back out. *Its a temporary problem
> as the bats will move on to better grounds shortly.
>
> This of course brings out another problem. *Twitch wants to bring them home
> to us, usually alive. *She brings home LOTS of things alive for us to play
> with. *In the past year, I can't tell you how many ground squirrels, tree
> squirrels, field mice, and snakes she has brought home for us. *If we are
> home she tries to give them to us alive. *If we are gone, we find them on
> the doorstep after she has finished playing with them. *There is nothing
> like having her dump a live something in your lap. *"I haz skerl - naw u
> haz skerl" * Not looking forward to a bat!

As a side note, since there is a slight possibility she might
encounter a bat, please make sure she's up to date on her rabies shot.
Bats can carry rabies.

Talker
October 28th 08, 08:27 PM
> As a side note, since there is a slight possibility she might
> encounter a bat, please make sure she's up to date on her rabies shot.
> Bats can carry rabies.

No problem, the first time she brought home a live bat I double checked to
make sure ALL her shots were up to date.

--
Constitution; Bill of Rights; -- Void where prohibited by law

dgk
October 30th 08, 12:29 PM
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:28:33 -0400, "Matthew"
> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> On 28 Oct 2008 00:44:50 GMT, Talker > wrote:
>>
>>>BATS!!! Bats have moved into the neighborhood, coming out early in the
>>>morning flying around the street lights eating the insects. Cats can hear
>>>the bats and LOVE bats. Twitch especially loves bats. Figured it out
>>>when
>>>it rained and she let us sleep thru the night. Rain, no insects in the
>>>lights, no bats. Rain stops, bats come back out. Its a temporary problem
>>>as the bats will move on to better grounds shortly.
>>>
>>>This of course brings out another problem. Twitch wants to bring them
>>>home
>>>to us, usually alive. She brings home LOTS of things alive for us to play
>>>with. In the past year, I can't tell you how many ground squirrels, tree
>>>squirrels, field mice, and snakes she has brought home for us. If we are
>>>home she tries to give them to us alive. If we are gone, we find them on
>>>the doorstep after she has finished playing with them. There is nothing
>>>like having her dump a live something in your lap. "I haz skerl - naw u
>>>haz skerl" Not looking forward to a bat!
>>>
>>>Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions.
>>

>> Interesting. I was thinking about putting up a bat house so they'd eat
>> all the mosquitos and I could go out into my backyard without spraying
>> deet all over me. But if it's going to drive my cats crazy then
>> perhaps I need another solution.
>
>plant eucalyptus plants

Cool, the trees have been known to explode due to the vapor. I love
it, an exploding backyard. Still, seems safe for cats. I'll look into
it. Thanks.

Matthew[_3_]
October 30th 08, 05:21 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:28:33 -0400, "Matthew"
> > wrote:

>>> Interesting. I was thinking about putting up a bat house so they'd eat
>>> all the mosquitos and I could go out into my backyard without spraying
>>> deet all over me. But if it's going to drive my cats crazy then
>>> perhaps I need another solution.
>>
>>plant eucalyptus plants
>>

> Cool, the trees have been known to explode due to the vapor. I love
> it, an exploding backyard. Still, seems safe for cats. I'll look into
> it. Thanks.

Trust me I live in the mosquito capital of the USA

dgk
October 31st 08, 12:35 PM
On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:21:53 -0400, "Matthew"
> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:28:33 -0400, "Matthew"
>> > wrote:

>>>plant eucalyptus plants
>>>

>> Cool, the trees have been known to explode due to the vapor. I love
>> it, an exploding backyard. Still, seems safe for cats. I'll look into
>> it. Thanks.
>
>Trust me I live in the mosquito capital of the USA

Minnesota? Land of 10,000 breeding sites?