PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feeding Special Kitty from Walmart-- Read this

Phil P.
October 28th 08, 02:37 AM
Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market
withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the
media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the
product or the company.

Mars Petcare US Issues Voluntary Recall of a Limited Number of Bags
of SPECIAL KITTY® Gourmet Sold at Wal-Mart locations in Fifteen
States due to Potential Salmonella Contamination
Contact:
Debra Fair
MARS PETCARE US
(973) 691-3536

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- FRANKLIN, Tenn. - October 27, 2008 - Mars
Petcare US today announced a voluntary recall of a limited number of
bags of SPECIAL KITTY® Gourmet Blend dry cat food sold at Wal-Mart
locations in Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine,
North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio,
Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Vermont, and West Virginia.
The pet food is being voluntarily recalled following a positive test
result indicating a potential contamination with Salmonella.

This product should not be sold or fed to pets. Pet owners should
dispose of product in a safe manner (example, a securely covered
trash receptacle) and return the empty bag to the store where
purchased for a full refund.

Salmonella can cause serious infections in dogs and cats, and, if
there is cross contamination caused by handling of the pet food, in
people as well, especially children, the aged, and people with
compromised immune systems. Healthy people potentially infected
with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the
following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea,
abdominal cramping and fever. On rare occasions, Salmonella can
result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections,
endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary
tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having
contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea
or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only
decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Animals can be
carriers with no visible symptoms and potentially infect other
animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and
has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

There have been no complaints or reports of illness resulting from
consumption or handling of the recalled product.

Pet owners who have questions about the recall should call 1-877-568-
4463 or visit www.petcare.mars.com.

Recalled Pet Food
Product: SPECIAL KITTY® Gourmet Blend Dry Cat Food
Best If Used By Date: AUG 11 09
Best If Used By Date Location: Back of bag
Production Lot Code: 50 XXXX X (Found on back of bag just
after "Best If Used By" date. Consumers should look for "50" as the
first two digits of the second line.)
UPC Code: UPC code numbers can be found directly underneath the bar
code on the package. Please find recalled pet food UPC information
below.

3.5 lb.
SPECIAL KITTY® Gourmet Blend
81131 17546

7 lb.
SPECIAL KITTY® Gourmet Blend
81131 17547

18 lb.
SPECIAL KITTY® Gourmet Blend
81131 17548

Affected Stores: Wal-Mart locations in Connecticut, Delaware,
Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New
Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia,
Vermont, and West Virginia.

In an effort to prevent the transmission of Salmonella from pets to
family members and care givers, the FDA recommends that everyone
follow appropriate pet food handling guidelines when feeding their
pets. A list of safe pet food handling tips can be found at:
www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/petfoodtips080307.html

Pet owners who have questions about the recall should call 1-877-568-
4463 or visit www.petcare.mars.com.

RSS Feed for FDA Recalls Information [what's this?]

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/mars10_08.html

Phil P.
October 28th 08, 02:53 AM
FDA link: http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/mars10_08.html

"Phil P." > wrote in message
> [...]
> 81131 17547
>
> 18 lb.
> SPECIAL KITTY® Gourmet Blend
> 81131 17548
>

> Affected Stores: Wal-Mart locations in Connecticut, Delaware,
> Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New
> Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia,
> Vermont, and West Virginia.
>
> In an effort to prevent the transmission of Salmonella from pets to
> family members and care givers, the FDA recommends that everyone
> follow appropriate pet food handling guidelines when feeding their
> pets. A list of safe pet food handling tips can be found at:
> www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/petfoodtips080307.html
>
> Pet owners who have questions about the recall should call 1-877-568-
> 4463 or visit www.petcare.mars.com.
>

> RSS Feed for FDA Recalls Information [what's this?]

kraut
October 28th 08, 12:56 PM
There are other brands from Mars Petcare US listed at
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/marspetcare09_08.html
that was posted on / about September 17, 2008 if anyone is interested.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 02:37:19 GMT, "Phil P." >
wrote:

> [...]
> 81131 17547
>
>18 lb.
> SPECIAL KITTY® Gourmet Blend
> 81131 17548
>

>Affected Stores: Wal-Mart locations in Connecticut, Delaware,
>Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New
>Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia,
>Vermont, and West Virginia.
>
>In an effort to prevent the transmission of Salmonella from pets to
>family members and care givers, the FDA recommends that everyone
>follow appropriate pet food handling guidelines when feeding their
>pets. A list of safe pet food handling tips can be found at:
>www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/petfoodtips080307.html
>
>Pet owners who have questions about the recall should call 1-877-568-
>4463 or visit www.petcare.mars.com.
>

>RSS Feed for FDA Recalls Information [what's this?]

Matthew[_3_]
November 1st 08, 01:06 AM
"hopitus" > wrote in message

THANK YOU PHIL for the FYI

I lost my heart cat Spirit due to a contaminated batch of Special Kitty
wild rice and venison pouch

I stop for the longest time since they changed distributors on the cans but
once this batch is gone I am no longer going to buy anything named special
Kitty no matter how much Rumble loves it

Phil P.
November 1st 08, 07:36 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "hopitus" > wrote in message
>

> THANK YOU PHIL for the FYI
>
> I lost my heart cat Spirit due to a contaminated batch of Special Kitty
> wild rice and venison pouch
>

> I stop for the longest time since they changed distributors on the cans
but
> once this batch is gone I am no longer going to buy anything named special
> Kitty no matter how much Rumble loves it

I'd wouldn't take the risk- I'd dump whatever you have left now.

Good luck,

Phil

Phil P.
November 1st 08, 07:38 AM
"hopitus" > wrote in message

> http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/mars10_08.htm
> Once again we have you to thank, Phil. I am not a regular
> at WalMart anyway, just buy special items there, and am
> overjoyed to say that the only Special Kitty cat care item
> I have on hand is their big pail of clumping litter; no food.
> Thanks again for the heads-up.

I'm glad to hear you're not feeding your cat that crap.

So, how're you doing?

Phil

ethbluenoser55
November 1st 08, 11:57 PM
On Nov 1, 4:38*am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "hopitus" > wrote in message

> >http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/mars10_08.htm
> > Once again we have you to thank, Phil. I am not a regular
> > at WalMart anyway, just buy special items there, and am
> > overjoyed to say that the only Special Kitty cat care item
> > I have on hand is their big pail of clumping litter; no food.
> > Thanks again for the heads-up.
>
> I'm glad to hear you're not feeding your cat that crap.
>
> So, how're you doing?
>
> Phil

Thanks Phil,
Even though I am not in an affected state i have chucked all my
Special Kitty cat food in the garbage. No use taking any chances.
Liz

Phil P.
November 4th 08, 12:02 PM
"ethbluenoser55" > wrote in message
On Nov 1, 4:38 am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "hopitus" > wrote in message

> >http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/mars10_08.htm
> > Once again we have you to thank, Phil. I am not a regular
> > at WalMart anyway, just buy special items there, and am
> > overjoyed to say that the only Special Kitty cat care item
> > I have on hand is their big pail of clumping litter; no food.
> > Thanks again for the heads-up.
>
> I'm glad to hear you're not feeding your cat that crap.
>
> So, how're you doing?
>
> Phil

Thanks Phil,
Even though I am not in an affected state i have chucked all my
Special Kitty cat food in the garbage. No use taking any chances.
Liz

Wise decision.

Phil

Phil P.
November 4th 08, 01:21 PM
"hopitus" > wrote in message
> On Nov 1, 12:38 am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > "hopitus" > wrote in message

> > >http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/mars10_08.htm
> > > Once again we have you to thank, Phil. I am not a regular
> > > at WalMart anyway, just buy special items there, and am
> > > overjoyed to say that the only Special Kitty cat care item
> > > I have on hand is their big pail of clumping litter; no food.
> > > Thanks again for the heads-up.
> >
> > I'm glad to hear you're not feeding your cat that crap.
> >
> > So, how're you doing?
> >
> > Phil
>
> Well, thank you, Phil, and I sure hope you and yours can say
> the same. My best regards to your consultant friend and all
> those who help with your feline-saving adventures in the
> Garden State and surrounding areas. Never set foot in NJ
> but from what little I've seen it on tv it looks strangely very
> much like FL, my home state. Once long ago I met a bunch
> of scuba divers from there, while out in the Atlantic on a
> diving trip with pals, and they loved the warm water, telling
> us they had to wear "dry" suits in winter in home waters
> up there, which I had never thought about before that. But
> relatives of mine who live in VA told me NJ has great beaches,
> just like FL; they spend their holidays at some of them.

The last time I saw a beach was when I was trapping on the Atlantic City
Boardwalk a few years ago. If I go on a beach I have to remain standing. If
I lie down on the sand the cats cover me up....

> Warm wishes to all your lucky cats;

Thanks. The same to you.

My new guy is doing really well- looks and acts like a completely different
cat than he did when I trapped him a few months ago.

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After-3s2.jpg

Here's some new ones of him:

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_Album_10-28-08/index.htm

How about some pictures of yours???