PDA

View Full Version : Bladder ruptures while treated for urinary blockage by vet -> negligence<- ???

Cat Guy
November 1st 08, 01:32 AM
We currently have a male cat being treated for a urinary obstruction.

Urinary catheter and IV drip has been in place for 36 hours. Cat is at
the vet clinic - not at home.

Today we get a call saying that his bladder had ruptured - presumably
due to the urinary catheter not functioning. We authorize immediate
surgury to repair the bladder. Bladder and abdomen is lavaged, sand or
mineral grains are (as expected) seen in the bladder and removed.
Rupture is (IIRC) about 3 to 5 mm in diam.

As I think more about it, I am becoming angry that (a) the IV push was
allowed to continue without proper observation of bladder draining, and
that (b) I am being billed for the bladder repair surgery that resulted
from what I now believe to be negligent care.

Do I have a valid argument?

Should I confront the vet with my argument?

Spot[_2_]
November 1st 08, 01:46 AM
I certainly would raise hell about this. They should have made sure that
equal amounts of fluids going in were coming out. They were negligent and
you should not have to pay for their mistakes.

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBayŽ auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip

"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
> We currently have a male cat being treated for a urinary obstruction.
>
> Urinary catheter and IV drip has been in place for 36 hours. Cat is at
> the vet clinic - not at home.
>
> Today we get a call saying that his bladder had ruptured - presumably
> due to the urinary catheter not functioning. We authorize immediate
> surgury to repair the bladder. Bladder and abdomen is lavaged, sand or
> mineral grains are (as expected) seen in the bladder and removed.
> Rupture is (IIRC) about 3 to 5 mm in diam.
>
> As I think more about it, I am becoming angry that (a) the IV push was
> allowed to continue without proper observation of bladder draining, and
> that (b) I am being billed for the bladder repair surgery that resulted
> from what I now believe to be negligent care.
>
> Do I have a valid argument?
>
> Should I confront the vet with my argument?

Phil P.
November 1st 08, 07:36 AM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
> We currently have a male cat being treated for a urinary obstruction.
>
> Urinary catheter and IV drip has been in place for 36 hours. Cat is at
> the vet clinic - not at home.
>
> Today we get a call saying that his bladder had ruptured - presumably
> due to the urinary catheter not functioning. We authorize immediate
> surgury to repair the bladder. Bladder and abdomen is lavaged, sand or
> mineral grains are (as expected) seen in the bladder and removed.
> Rupture is (IIRC) about 3 to 5 mm in diam.
>
> As I think more about it, I am becoming angry that (a) the IV push was
> allowed to continue without proper observation of bladder draining, and
> that (b) I am being billed for the bladder repair surgery that resulted
> from what I now believe to be negligent care.
>
> Do I have a valid argument?

Absolutely!

> Should I confront the vet with my argument?

Absolutely! If the bladder wasn't draining and it was so distended that
there was a risk of rupture, he should have relieved the pressure by
cystocentesis. My guess is he tried to flush the plug back into the bladder
(retrograde urohydropropulsion) and skipped the sterile lubrication stage or
he simply infused too much fluid.

The problem is your vet has your cat and doesn't have to release him until
he is paid. If he's a prick and you can't reach an amicable solution, email
me and I'll advise you how to proceed-- don't worry its legal.

Phil

Candace
November 3rd 08, 12:34 AM
On Oct 31, 6:32*pm, Cat Guy > wrote:
> We currently have a male cat being treated for a urinary obstruction.
>
> Urinary catheter and IV drip has been in place for 36 hours. *Cat is at
> the vet clinic - not at home.
>
> Today we get a call saying that his bladder had ruptured - presumably
> due to the urinary catheter not functioning. *We authorize immediate
> surgury to repair the bladder. *Bladder and abdomen is lavaged, sand or
> mineral grains are (as expected) seen in the bladder and removed.
> Rupture is (IIRC) about 3 to 5 mm in diam.
>
> As I think more about it, I am becoming angry that (a) the IV push was
> allowed to continue without proper observation of bladder draining, and
> that (b) I am being billed for the bladder repair surgery that resulted
> from what I now believe to be negligent care.
>
> Do I have a valid argument?
>
> Should I confront the vet with my argument?

By the way, I hope your cat is okay even though you are a massive
asswipe.

cybercat
November 3rd 08, 01:22 AM
"Candace" > :

>By the way, I hope your cat is okay even though you are a massive
>asswipe.

I've misssssssssed you so, Candace!

Candace
November 3rd 08, 01:42 AM
On Nov 2, 6:22*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Candace" > :
>
> >By the way, I hope your cat is okay even though you are a massive
> >asswipe.
>
> I've misssssssssed you so, Candace!

Thanks, I forgot how much fun it can be when morons are involved.

Matthew[_3_]
November 3rd 08, 02:09 AM
"Candace" > wrote in message
On Oct 31, 6:32 pm, Cat Guy > wrote:
> We currently have a male cat being treated for a urinary obstruction.
>
> Urinary catheter and IV drip has been in place for 36 hours. Cat is at
> the vet clinic - not at home.
>
> Today we get a call saying that his bladder had ruptured - presumably
> due to the urinary catheter not functioning. We authorize immediate
> surgury to repair the bladder. Bladder and abdomen is lavaged, sand or
> mineral grains are (as expected) seen in the bladder and removed.
> Rupture is (IIRC) about 3 to 5 mm in diam.
>
> As I think more about it, I am becoming angry that (a) the IV push was
> allowed to continue without proper observation of bladder draining, and
> that (b) I am being billed for the bladder repair surgery that resulted
> from what I now believe to be negligent care.
>
> Do I have a valid argument?
>
> Should I confront the vet with my argument?

By the way, I hope your cat is okay even though you are a massive
asswipe.

I remember this guy he was arguing with me about antifreeze a few years ago
would not listen to common sense
Is this the same idiot that wanted to self treat a cat that had Coccidia and
Giardia or something like that and Phil but him in his place I think with a
comment like Are you a troll or just an idiot?

Cat Guy
November 4th 08, 12:45 AM
Candace wrote:

> By the way, I hope your cat is okay

The cat has been transfered to the ICU of a regional veterinary
university / teaching hospital. During the past 36 - 48 hours his
hematocrit dropped to 10 to 15% and he required a blood transfusion
(even worse, he has type B blood).

A PCR test is being performed to see if he has a blood parasite. Many
fingers being pointed at his FIV status and the stress of the urinary /
bladder events as the cause of HIV-induced acute anemia. Liver enzyme
tests are showing normal except for 1 particular enzyme the indicates
liver-cell dammage. Cause is likely either (a) hypoxia cause by low RBC
(reversible) or rare reaction to oral valium (irreversable). Valium was
given as a urethra relaxant as part of urinary blockage therapy. Kidney
function is ok. No blood in urine. Indications are that his bone
marrow is not currently producing RBC's. We're hoping that that will
change during the next 48 hours.

> even though you are a massive asswipe.

Feeding and giving shelter to a local colony of stray cats is nice and
good (superficially) but to really help them they need to be sterilized
and vaccinated.

If you normally do that, then great.

If you don't, then don't be surprised by new arrivals or sickness,
pain/suffering, and fighting/injury among the colony.

Candace
November 4th 08, 01:28 AM
On Nov 3, 5:45*pm, Cat Guy > wrote:
> Candace wrote:
> > By the way, I hope your cat is okay
>
> The cat has been transfered to the ICU of a regional veterinary
> university / teaching hospital. *During the past 36 - 48 hours his
> hematocrit dropped to 10 to 15% and he required a blood transfusion
> (even worse, he has type B blood).
>
> A PCR test is being performed to see if he has a blood parasite. *Many
> fingers being pointed at his FIV status and the stress of the urinary /
> bladder events as the cause of HIV-induced acute anemia. *Liver enzyme
> tests are showing normal except for 1 particular enzyme the indicates
> liver-cell dammage. *Cause is likely either (a) hypoxia cause by low RBC
> (reversible) or rare reaction to oral valium (irreversable). *Valium was
> given as a urethra relaxant as part of urinary blockage therapy. *Kidney
> function is ok. *No blood in urine. *Indications are that his bone
> marrow is not currently producing RBC's. *We're hoping that that will
> change during the next 48 hours.
>
> > even though you are a massive asswipe.
>
> Feeding and giving shelter to a local colony of stray cats is nice and
> good (superficially) but to really help them they need to be sterilized
> and vaccinated.
>
> If you normally do that, then great.
>
> If you don't, then don't be surprised by new arrivals or sickness,
> pain/suffering, and fighting/injury among the colony.

Okay, I won't be, but thanks for your wise words.

I truly hope your cat fully recovers.