PDA

View Full Version : Fix Matted Fur?

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 12:59 AM
Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.

Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
remember Bubba the Maine Coon.

Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
close friends.

Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
smaller. She's a real sweetheart.

When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
point where I had to have his belly shaved. Rascal is also extremely
matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.

Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?

Ideas?

cybercat
November 5th 08, 03:35 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :

> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
> from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
> close friends.

I just wanted to say that I am really sorry about Bubba. He was a beautiful
boy and among the most loved cats I have seen.

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 03:41 AM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
>>
>> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
>> from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
>> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
>> close friends.
>
>I just wanted to say that I am really sorry about Bubba. He was a beautiful
>boy and among the most loved cats I have seen.

Thanks much. I appreciate it.

Phil P.
November 5th 08, 10:36 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>
> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>
> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
> from advanced cardiomyopathy.

I'm very sorry. Regrettably, HCM is inherited as an autosomal dominant
trait in Maine Coons.

It's strange to admit, but losing
> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
> close friends.

I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way and there's no doubt in my
mind whatsoever that I'll feel that way again.

> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.

I think adopting a 5 year-old is wonderful!

> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
> point where I had to have his belly shaved.

My newest cat, an abanonded and abused longhair, had rock-hard mats when I
trapped him. He wasn't brushed for months or possibly years.

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_mats.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After-3s.jpg

Rascal is also extremely
> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.
>
> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>
> Ideas?

Just brush her everyday. Not only will it keep her coat from matting and
skin healthy, it will also strengthen the bond between the two of you.

Congratulations and Best of luck with Rascal.

Phil

Rene S.
November 5th 08, 04:12 PM
My sympathies on the loss of Bubba. IME, it IS harder to lose a pet
sometimes than a person. Your pet is there, day in and day out,
without judgement.

I can't think of anything short of shaving it and maintaining the new
growth. If the matts are that bad, they're probably quite painful and
need to be removed. Shaving is the quickest and kindest option.

Rene

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 04:40 PM
In article >,
Phil P. > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>>
>> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
>> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>>
>> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
>> from advanced cardiomyopathy.
>
>I'm very sorry. Regrettably, HCM is inherited as an autosomal dominant
>trait in Maine Coons.

Thanks.

I had read about HCM, but I had no clue that Bubba was affected
until he was very sick. With 20-20 hindsight his overall lack
of energy should have been a big hint.

I'm a bit concerned about Rascal too. She's *way* more energetic
than Bubba was but she has the same general build even though
she's around half his size. Is HCM a problem with females as well?

I'm going to take her in for her post adoption checkup today and
I'll definitely mention this to the vet...

She's not as obviously fat as Bubba was either, but I don't think
I'll be free-feeding her.

>It's strange to admit, but losing
>> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
>> close friends.
>
>I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way and there's no doubt in my
>mind whatsoever that I'll feel that way again.
>

>> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
>> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
>> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
>> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
>

>I think adopting a 5 year-old is wonderful!

She seems to be extremely happy to be out of there...

5 is barely past adolescence for a MC, supposedly, and she acts like it.

She's a little rocket around the house compared to Bubba.

>> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
>> point where I had to have his belly shaved.
>

>My newest cat, an abanonded and abused longhair, had rock-hard mats when I
>trapped him. He wasn't brushed for months or possibly years.
>
>http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_mats.jpg
>http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After-3s.jpg
>

>Rascal is also extremely
>> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
>> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
>> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
>> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
>> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.
>>
>> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>>
>> Ideas?
>

>Just brush her everyday. Not only will it keep her coat from matting and
>skin healthy, it will also strengthen the bond between the two of you.

Rascal's mats seem to be worse than those in the "before" pic. Mostly
on her back & tail.

I've been brushing her a bit and she seems to like it until I pull on
the mats too hard. I'l be patient but I'm sure it's not comfortable for her.

>Congratulations and Best of luck with Rascal.

Thanks much.

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 04:42 PM
In article >,
Rene S. > wrote:
>My sympathies on the loss of Bubba. IME, it IS harder to lose a pet
>sometimes than a person. Your pet is there, day in and day out,
>without judgement.
>
>I can't think of anything short of shaving it and maintaining the new
>growth. If the matts are that bad, they're probably quite painful and
>need to be removed. Shaving is the quickest and kindest option.

That's what I thought.

I just hate to leave her without a coat in the cold season.

Thanks

Claude

DWMeowMix
November 5th 08, 06:06 PM
On Nov 4, 5:59*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.

<snip> I'm hoping that there
> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.
>
> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>
> Ideas?

Hi Claude,

I have a medium/long haired siamese who doesn't believe in self
grooming, idiot that he is. Total Diva this one. He gets really bad
mats every season change and this is how I deal with it.

I use a wire brush with tip protectors and the rubber thing the wires
set in so they move. On really bad mats and be VERY careful here, I
will cut the mat vertically with a pair of scissors being careful not
to cut kitties skin. Depending on the size of the mat I might make
several cuts. Then I will LIGHTLY coat the area with some olive oil
(NOT BABY OIL not conditioner - keep in mind anything you put on the
hair will end up in kitties tummy) to help the brush work through the
hair. It makes the hair more slippery so that the brush can slide
through easier. It seems to work better if you attack the mat from the
side (gently, always gently) rather than down the center. Anyway it
works for me. Use teeny, tiny strokes over the top of the mat and
them working from the base of the mat upwards. Eventually it does
come free. I usually only try to do one small area at a time, because
my kitty absolutely hates to be brushed which is why he's in the mess
he's in to start with! If all else fails, get out the barber
shears...

DWMeowMix

CatNipped[_2_]
November 5th 08, 06:16 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>
> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>
> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
> from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
> close friends.
>
> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
>
> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
> point where I had to have his belly shaved. Rascal is also extremely
> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.
>
> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>
> Ideas?

Oh, Claude, I am *SO* sorry to hear that about Bubba! I know your heart is
broken, and I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to lose a
furry baby. He'll be missed by us here also.

Have you tried your Furminator on Rascal?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 06:26 PM
In article >,
DWMeowMix > wrote:
>On Nov 4, 5:59*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>>
><snip> I'm hoping that there
>> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
>> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
>> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
>> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.
>>
>> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>>
>> Ideas?
>
>Hi Claude,
>
>I have a medium/long haired siamese who doesn't believe in self
>grooming, idiot that he is. Total Diva this one. He gets really bad
>mats every season change and this is how I deal with it.
>
>I use a wire brush with tip protectors and the rubber thing the wires
>set in so they move. On really bad mats and be VERY careful here, I
>will cut the mat vertically with a pair of scissors being careful not
>to cut kitties skin. Depending on the size of the mat I might make
>several cuts. Then I will LIGHTLY coat the area with some olive oil
>(NOT BABY OIL not conditioner - keep in mind anything you put on the
>hair will end up in kitties tummy) to help the brush work through the
>hair. It makes the hair more slippery so that the brush can slide
>through easier. It seems to work better if you attack the mat from the
>side (gently, always gently) rather than down the center. Anyway it
>works for me. Use teeny, tiny strokes over the top of the mat and
>them working from the base of the mat upwards. Eventually it does
>come free. I usually only try to do one small area at a time, because
>my kitty absolutely hates to be brushed which is why he's in the mess
>he's in to start with! If all else fails, get out the barber
>shears...

The more I look at her the less I want to deal with the mats myself.

We're going in for a vet checkup today or tomorrow and I'm leaning
towards getting pro help. I don't want her to associate *me* with
the inevitable trauma that a major de-matting will bring. She seems
to like being brushed, so I don't think there will be a problem keeping
her clean once we get her cleaned up.

Thanks, though.

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 06:32 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>>
>> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
>> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>>
>> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
>> from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
>> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
>> close friends.
>>
>> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
>> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
>> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
>> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
>>
>> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
>> point where I had to have his belly shaved. Rascal is also extremely
>> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
>> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
>> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
>> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
>> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.
>>
>> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>>
>> Ideas?
>
>Oh, Claude, I am *SO* sorry to hear that about Bubba! I know your heart is
>broken, and I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to lose a
>furry baby. He'll be missed by us here also.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

>Have you tried your Furminator on Rascal?

I'm considering it, but she's *really* matted in places and I
don't know if it will do it. I don't want to hurt her skin.

Also, I need to do her claws before I try any serious fur work
for the sake of *my* skin. :^)

She isn't really thrilled about me handling her paws yet, it's
only been a day since she came home and I should be patient.

Like I said in another post, I'm strongly leaning at this point
towards having her professionally groomed so she doesn't associate
*me* with the ordeal...

Rene S.
November 5th 08, 07:23 PM
On Nov 5, 12:32*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> CatNipped > wrote:
> >"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> >> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>
> >> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
> >> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>
> >> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
> >> from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
> >> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
> >> close friends.
>
> >> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
> >> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
> >> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
> >> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
>
> >> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
> >> point where I had to have his belly shaved. Rascal is also extremely
> >> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
> >> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
> >> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
> >> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
> >> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.
>
> >> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>
> >> Ideas?
>
> >Oh, Claude, I am *SO* sorry to hear that about Bubba! *I know your heart is
> >broken, and I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to lose a
> >furry baby. *He'll be missed by us here also.
>
> Thanks for the good thoughts.
>
> >Have you tried your Furminator on Rascal?
>
> I'm considering it, but she's *really* matted in places and I
> don't know if it will do it. I don't want to hurt her skin.

I would NOT use a Furminator on her if the fur is that matted.

Taken from their web site: Before using the deShedding tool, perform a
COMPLETE physical inspection of your dog or cat and identify any
tangles or matting in their hair or coat ... if your dog or cat has
any tangles or matting in their hair or coat, DO NOT USE the
FURminator deShedding Tool.

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 07:32 PM
In article >,
Rene S. > wrote:
>On Nov 5, 12:32*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> In article >,
>>

>> CatNipped > wrote:

>> >Oh, Claude, I am *SO* sorry to hear that about Bubba! *I know your heart is
>> >broken, and I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to lose a
>> >furry baby. *He'll be missed by us here also.
>>
>> Thanks for the good thoughts.
>>
>> >Have you tried your Furminator on Rascal?
>>
>> I'm considering it, but she's *really* matted in places and I
>> don't know if it will do it. I don't want to hurt her skin.
>
>I would NOT use a Furminator on her if the fur is that matted.
>
>Taken from their web site: Before using the deShedding tool, perform a
>COMPLETE physical inspection of your dog or cat and identify any
>tangles or matting in their hair or coat ... if your dog or cat has
>any tangles or matting in their hair or coat, DO NOT USE the
>FURminator deShedding Tool.

Thanks.

The more I look at her the more I realize it's not a
"do-it-yourself" problem...

Stay tuned for the premiere of "Rascal Gets the Lion Cut"

I think.

I'm gonna check with the vet to be sure.

Phil P.
November 5th 08, 07:49 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Phil P. > wrote:
> >
> >"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> >> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
> >>
> >> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
> >> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
> >> from advanced cardiomyopathy.
> >
> >I'm very sorry. Regrettably, HCM is inherited as an autosomal dominant
> >trait in Maine Coons.
> >

> Thanks.
>
> I had read about HCM, but I had no clue that Bubba was affected
> until he was very sick. With 20-20 hindsight his overall lack
> of energy should have been a big hint.

Sometimes there are no symptoms at all until sudden death.

> I'm a bit concerned about Rascal too. She's *way* more energetic
> than Bubba was but she has the same general build even though
> she's around half his size. Is HCM a problem with females as well?

Unfortunately, yes. But its usually more severe in males and they're
generally affected earlier in life.

> I'm going to take her in for her post adoption checkup today and
> I'll definitely mention this to the vet...

Unless she has a murmur, he won't be able to tell you much. There are two
better options: The Veterinary Cardiac Genetic Laboratory at Washington
State offers a special genetic test for Maine Coons that can detect the
gene mutations that causes HCM in MCs. All the lab needs for the test is
either a blood sample or a cheek swab. The test costs about $60. A
negative result doesn't absolutely rule out the possibility of the cat
developing HCM- there still may be unknown genes that cause it.

The other option is an echocardiogram. In Maine Coons, the early signs of
HCM are SAM (systolic interior motion of the mitral valve- the mitral valve
gets pulled into the outflow tract) and hypertrophed papillary muscles (the
muscles that open the mitral valve). If you go for the echo- have it done
by a cardiologist- not just an ultrasonographer. The early signs can be very
subtle- so you want someone who knows what they're looking for.

> She's not as obviously fat as Bubba was either, but I don't think
> I'll be free-feeding her.

Wise decision.

> >It's strange to admit, but losing
> >> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
> >> close friends.
> >
> >I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way and there's no doubt in
my
> >mind whatsoever that I'll feel that way again.
> >

> >> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
> >> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
> >> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
> >> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
> >

> >I think adopting a 5 year-old is wonderful!
>
> She seems to be extremely happy to be out of there...
>
> 5 is barely past adolescence for a MC, supposedly, and she acts like it.
>
> She's a little rocket around the house compared to Bubba.
>

> >> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to
the
> >> point where I had to have his belly shaved.
> >

> >My newest cat, an abanonded and abused longhair, had rock-hard mats when
> >trapped him. He wasn't brushed for months or possibly years.
> >
> >http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_mats.jpg
> >http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After-3s.jpg
> >

> >Rascal is also extremely
> >> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
> >> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
> >> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
> >> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
> >> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor
condition.

> >> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
> >>
> >> Ideas?
> >

> >Just brush her everyday. Not only will it keep her coat from matting and
> >skin healthy, it will also strengthen the bond between the two of you.
>

> Rascal's mats seem to be worse than those in the "before" pic. Mostly
> on her back & tail.
>
> I've been brushing her a bit and she seems to like it until I pull on
> the mats too hard. I'l be patient but I'm sure it's not comfortable for
her.

> >Congratulations and Best of luck with Rascal.
> >

> Thanks much.

You're welcome.

If you need more info- let me know. I have a little experience in HCM in
cats.

Phil

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 08:03 PM
In article >,
Phil P. > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I had read about HCM, but I had no clue that Bubba was affected
>> until he was very sick. With 20-20 hindsight his overall lack
>> of energy should have been a big hint.
>

>Sometimes there are no symptoms at all until sudden death.

Bubba's first symptom was a gradual loss of appetite, then
breathing issues. The vet told me that it was nothing that
developed overnight...

>> I'm a bit concerned about Rascal too. She's *way* more energetic
>> than Bubba was but she has the same general build even though
>> she's around half his size. Is HCM a problem with females as well?
>

>Unfortunately, yes. But its usually more severe in males and they're
>generally affected earlier in life.
>

>> I'm going to take her in for her post adoption checkup today and
>> I'll definitely mention this to the vet...
>

>Unless she has a murmur, he won't be able to tell you much. There are two
>better options: The Veterinary Cardiac Genetic Laboratory at Washington
>State offers a special genetic test for Maine Coons that can detect the
>gene mutations that causes HCM in MCs. All the lab needs for the test is
>either a blood sample or a cheek swab. The test costs about $60. A
>negative result doesn't absolutely rule out the possibility of the cat
>developing HCM- there still may be unknown genes that cause it.

Thanks for that, I bookmarked their site and I'll follow up.

>The other option is an echocardiogram. In Maine Coons, the early signs of
>HCM are SAM (systolic interior motion of the mitral valve- the mitral valve
>gets pulled into the outflow tract) and hypertrophed papillary muscles (the
>muscles that open the mitral valve). If you go for the echo- have it done
>by a cardiologist- not just an ultrasonographer. The early signs can be very
>subtle- so you want someone who knows what they're looking for.

The vet I've been using seems pretty savvy. I'll let her have a go with
Rascal and see what she says and go from there.

>> She's not as obviously fat as Bubba was either, but I don't think
>> I'll be free-feeding her.
>
>Wise decision.
>

>If you need more info- let me know. I have a little experience in HCM in
>cats.

Thank again. I'll get her the HCM genetic test and hope for the best...

CatNipped[_2_]
November 5th 08, 08:09 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>>>
>>> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
>>> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
>>> from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
>>> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
>>> close friends.
>>>
>>> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
>>> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
>>> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
>>> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
>>>
>>> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
>>> point where I had to have his belly shaved. Rascal is also extremely
>>> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
>>> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
>>> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
>>> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
>>> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor
>>> condition.
>>>
>>> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>
>>Oh, Claude, I am *SO* sorry to hear that about Bubba! I know your heart
>>is
>>broken, and I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to lose a
>>furry baby. He'll be missed by us here also.
>>

> Thanks for the good thoughts.
>
>>Have you tried your Furminator on Rascal?
>>

> I'm considering it, but she's *really* matted in places and I
> don't know if it will do it. I don't want to hurt her skin.

I was thinking that in this case it might be a *good* thing that the
Furminator razors off the hair - that's might take it off in increments
until the mat is gone, rather than just shaving it all off.

> Also, I need to do her claws before I try any serious fur work
> for the sake of *my* skin. :^)
>
> She isn't really thrilled about me handling her paws yet, it's
> only been a day since she came home and I should be patient.
>
> Like I said in another post, I'm strongly leaning at this point
> towards having her professionally groomed so she doesn't associate
> *me* with the ordeal...

That might be a good idea! BTW, I just got one of those Peticures (actually
I got a knock-off brand at Wal-Mart that works the same but was $10 less).
My clowder is used to having their claws clipped every two weeks (in fact
they look forward to it because they get treats afterwards), and none of
them were the least bothered by the buzzing sound or filing sensation - and
Sammy actually tolerated it better than the nail clippers! It works really
well - it only takes a few seconds for each claw, and I like how it leaves
the claws smooth rather than splintered (this was more a problem with Sammy
than with the others because her claws are so much bigger that the standard
sized clippers crushed the claw rather than snipping it off cleanly - which
may be why she objected so strongly to having her claws clipped). Anyway,
for $20 it was well worth the price!

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
November 5th 08, 08:11 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
On Nov 5, 12:32 pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> CatNipped > wrote:
> >"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> >> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>
> >> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
> >> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>
> >> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
> >> from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
> >> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
> >> close friends.
>
> >> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
> >> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
> >> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
> >> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
>
> >> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to
> >> the
> >> point where I had to have his belly shaved. Rascal is also extremely
> >> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
> >> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
> >> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
> >> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
> >> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor
> >> condition.
>
> >> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>
> >> Ideas?
>
> >Oh, Claude, I am *SO* sorry to hear that about Bubba! I know your heart
> >is
> >broken, and I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to lose a
> >furry baby. He'll be missed by us here also.
>
> Thanks for the good thoughts.
>
> >Have you tried your Furminator on Rascal?
>
> I'm considering it, but she's *really* matted in places and I
> don't know if it will do it. I don't want to hurt her skin.

I would NOT use a Furminator on her if the fur is that matted.

Taken from their web site: Before using the deShedding tool, perform a
COMPLETE physical inspection of your dog or cat and identify any
tangles or matting in their hair or coat ... if your dog or cat has
any tangles or matting in their hair or coat, DO NOT USE the
FURminator deShedding Tool.

Hmmm, I wonder why? I was thinking that the way it razors off the hair that
it would take the mat off in increments - like scissoring it but without the
risk of cutting the skin.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Stampir
November 5th 08, 08:33 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>>
>> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
>> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>>
>> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
>> from advanced cardiomyopathy.
>
> I'm very sorry. Regrettably, HCM is inherited as an autosomal dominant
> trait in Maine Coons.
>

> It's strange to admit, but losing
>> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
>> close friends.
>
> I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way and there's no doubt in
> my
> mind whatsoever that I'll feel that way again.
>

>> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
>> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
>> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
>> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
>

> I think adopting a 5 year-old is wonderful!
>

>> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
>> point where I had to have his belly shaved.
>

> My newest cat, an abanonded and abused longhair, had rock-hard mats when I
> trapped him. He wasn't brushed for months or possibly years.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_mats.jpg
> http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After-3s.jpg

Sly doesn't look very happy in the last photograph on the right --
he looks kinda mean!

> Just brush her everyday. Not only will it keep her coat from matting and
> skin healthy, it will also strengthen the bond between the two of you.
>
> Congratulations and Best of luck with Rascal.
>
> Phil

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 08:42 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:

>>>Oh, Claude, I am *SO* sorry to hear that about Bubba! I know your heart
>>>is
>>>broken, and I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to lose a
>>>furry baby. He'll be missed by us here also.
>>>

>> Thanks for the good thoughts.
>>
>>>Have you tried your Furminator on Rascal?
>>>

>> I'm considering it, but she's *really* matted in places and I
>> don't know if it will do it. I don't want to hurt her skin.
>
>I was thinking that in this case it might be a *good* thing that the
>Furminator razors off the hair - that's might take it off in increments
>until the mat is gone, rather than just shaving it all off.

I made a half-hearted attempt at one mat with the Furminator
and it seemed as if it was pulling rather than cutting.

I'm gonna try again in a bit before I give up on it, but
Rascal is still a bit skittish and she definitely doesn't
seem to like it...

>> Also, I need to do her claws before I try any serious fur work
>> for the sake of *my* skin. :^)
>>
>> She isn't really thrilled about me handling her paws yet, it's
>> only been a day since she came home and I should be patient.
>>
>> Like I said in another post, I'm strongly leaning at this point
>> towards having her professionally groomed so she doesn't associate
>> *me* with the ordeal...
>
>That might be a good idea! BTW, I just got one of those Peticures (actually
>I got a knock-off brand at Wal-Mart that works the same but was $10 less).
>My clowder is used to having their claws clipped every two weeks (in fact
>they look forward to it because they get treats afterwards), and none of
>them were the least bothered by the buzzing sound or filing sensation - and
>Sammy actually tolerated it better than the nail clippers! It works really
>well - it only takes a few seconds for each claw, and I like how it leaves
>the claws smooth rather than splintered (this was more a problem with Sammy
>than with the others because her claws are so much bigger that the standard
>sized clippers crushed the claw rather than snipping it off cleanly - which
>may be why she objected so strongly to having her claws clipped). Anyway,
>for $20 it was well worth the price!

I'll have a look at that.

I used to trim Bubba's with the same toenail clipper I use on my feet,
but Rascal doesn't seem as if she will be as accepting of the process.

:^)

Thanks

CatNipped[_2_]
November 5th 08, 09:01 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks for the good thoughts.

>>> I'm considering it, but she's *really* matted in places and I
>>> don't know if it will do it. I don't want to hurt her skin.
>>
>>I was thinking that in this case it might be a *good* thing that the
>>Furminator razors off the hair - that's might take it off in increments
>>until the mat is gone, rather than just shaving it all off.
>
> I made a half-hearted attempt at one mat with the Furminator
> and it seemed as if it was pulling rather than cutting.
>
> I'm gonna try again in a bit before I give up on it, but
> Rascal is still a bit skittish and she definitely doesn't
> seem to like it...

Yeah, then I wouldn't keep trying if I were you - a professional groomer
will do it quicker and will take the blame, not you! ;>

>>> Also, I need to do her claws before I try any serious fur work
>>> for the sake of *my* skin. :^)
>>>
>>> She isn't really thrilled about me handling her paws yet, it's
>>> only been a day since she came home and I should be patient.
>>>
>>> Like I said in another post, I'm strongly leaning at this point
>>> towards having her professionally groomed so she doesn't associate
>>> *me* with the ordeal...
>>
>>That might be a good idea! BTW, I just got one of those Peticures
>>(actually
>>I got a knock-off brand at Wal-Mart that works the same but was $10 less).
>>My clowder is used to having their claws clipped every two weeks (in fact
>>they look forward to it because they get treats afterwards), and none of
>>them were the least bothered by the buzzing sound or filing sensation -
>>and
>>Sammy actually tolerated it better than the nail clippers! It works
>>really
>>well - it only takes a few seconds for each claw, and I like how it leaves
>>the claws smooth rather than splintered (this was more a problem with
>>Sammy
>>than with the others because her claws are so much bigger that the
>>standard
>>sized clippers crushed the claw rather than snipping it off cleanly -
>>which
>>may be why she objected so strongly to having her claws clipped). Anyway,
>>for $20 it was well worth the price!
>>

> I'll have a look at that.
>
> I used to trim Bubba's with the same toenail clipper I use on my feet,
> but Rascal doesn't seem as if she will be as accepting of the process.
>
> :^)
>
> Thanks

If she's skittish of the clipper you might want to take it really slow with
the Peticure. They tell you to show it to them while praising and giving a
treat, then move on to turning it on and putting it next to them while
praising and giving a treat, then doing one claw, praise and treat, etc. My
cats have been handled by me since they were kittens, so they have total
faith in whatever I want to do to them. Starting with an adult cat is an
entirely different matter.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Buddy's Mom
November 5th 08, 10:19 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Bubba!!! I, too, have a Maine Coon and
they are really something else. So intelligent!! The best kitty I've
ever had. I wasn't aware of cardiomyopathy in them. Any other
symptoms that I should watch for??

Mine is 6.5 years and weighs only 10.5-11 pounds. I do not free feed
him! I learned fast that he puts on weight in a hurry and my vet
wasn't happy with him weighing much over 11 pounds.

I am glad to hear that you are rescuing another!!! RIP Bubba.
Sharon

Phil P.
November 5th 08, 10:41 PM
"Stampir" > wrote in message

> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_mats.jpg
> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After-3s.jpg
> >

> Sly doesn't look very happy in the last photograph on the right --
> he looks kinda mean!

He was starving! He polished off about 5 or 6 cans of FF right after the
pictures.

He's a sweetheart. It just took awhile for him to trust me.

Phil

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 10:47 PM
In article >,
Buddy's Mom > wrote:
>I am so sorry to hear about Bubba!!! I, too, have a Maine Coon and
>they are really something else. So intelligent!! The best kitty I've
>ever had. I wasn't aware of cardiomyopathy in them. Any other
>symptoms that I should watch for??

By the time there are symptoms, it's evidently too late.

Phil kindly posted a reference to the Washington State University
Veterinary Cardiac Genetics Laboratory where they can do a test
that will tell you whether or not your cat is genetically
predisposed to the condition. The test won't tell if it is
present or not. For that, the only thing I can recommend is
to find a local feline veterinary cardiologist who is familiar
with the condition and with the breed.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/deptsvcgl/

According to the vet that I took Bubba to when I realized he
was sick the treatment options are quite limited and not
particularly effective in advanced cases...

>Mine is 6.5 years and weighs only 10.5-11 pounds. I do not free feed
>him! I learned fast that he puts on weight in a hurry and my vet
>wasn't happy with him weighing much over 11 pounds.

Rascal is a little butterball too. I'm going to try and trim her up
a bit, but I'm not sure how much luck I'll have. I haven't weighed
her yet but she's pretty good sized for a girly cat.

>I am glad to hear that you are rescuing another!!! RIP Bubba.

Thanks

Claude

Phil P.
November 5th 08, 10:52 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
> I am so sorry to hear about Bubba!!! I, too, have a Maine Coon and
> they are really something else. So intelligent!! The best kitty I've
> ever had. I wasn't aware of cardiomyopathy in them. Any other
> symptoms that I should watch for??

Hip dysplasia, and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) are also inherited genetic
diseases in Maine Coons. I think there's a DNA test for those, too.

Phil

Claude V. Lucas
November 5th 08, 11:06 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:

>>>I was thinking that in this case it might be a *good* thing that the
>>>Furminator razors off the hair - that's might take it off in increments
>>>until the mat is gone, rather than just shaving it all off.
>>
>> I made a half-hearted attempt at one mat with the Furminator
>> and it seemed as if it was pulling rather than cutting.
>>
>> I'm gonna try again in a bit before I give up on it, but
>> Rascal is still a bit skittish and she definitely doesn't
>> seem to like it...
>
>Yeah, then I wouldn't keep trying if I were you - a professional groomer
>will do it quicker and will take the blame, not you! ;>

>>>That might be a good idea! BTW, I just got one of those Peticures
>>>(actually
>>>I got a knock-off brand at Wal-Mart that works the same but was $10 less).
>>>My clowder is used to having their claws clipped every two weeks (in fact
>>>they look forward to it because they get treats afterwards), and none of
>>>them were the least bothered by the buzzing sound or filing sensation -
>>>and
>>>Sammy actually tolerated it better than the nail clippers! It works
>>>really
>>>well - it only takes a few seconds for each claw, and I like how it leaves
>>>the claws smooth rather than splintered (this was more a problem with
>>>Sammy
>>>than with the others because her claws are so much bigger that the
>>>standard
>>>sized clippers crushed the claw rather than snipping it off cleanly -
>>>which
>>>may be why she objected so strongly to having her claws clipped). Anyway,
>>>for $20 it was well worth the price!
>>>

>> I'll have a look at that.
>>
>> I used to trim Bubba's with the same toenail clipper I use on my feet,
>> but Rascal doesn't seem as if she will be as accepting of the process.
>>
>> :^)
>>
>> Thanks
>
>If she's skittish of the clipper you might want to take it really slow with
>the Peticure. They tell you to show it to them while praising and giving a
>treat, then move on to turning it on and putting it next to them while
>praising and giving a treat, then doing one claw, praise and treat, etc. My
>cats have been handled by me since they were kittens, so they have total
>faith in whatever I want to do to them. Starting with an adult cat is an
>entirely different matter.

It seems that Rascal is a bit of a kneader.

I couldn't handle being pierced any longer so I broke down and
used the toenail clippers on her. She sulked for a bit but she
seems to have gotten over it. Treats always smooth the roiled
waters.

It's easier to wrestle her than it was to wrestle Bubba at 25 lbs...

:^)

Sheelagh>\o\
November 6th 08, 05:21 PM
On Nov 5, 12:59*am, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>
> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>
> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
> from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
> close friends.
>
> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
>
> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
> point where I had to have his belly shaved. Rascal is also extremely
> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.
>
> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>
> Ideas?

I just wanted to say that we are all so sorry to hear that Bubba has
passed the golden gate.
We knew how much you loved him, & I have to agree, he was a stunning
chap to look at, wasn't he!
I can only hope that your new little one can help hold the space where
all that pain that still resides. You have our utter sympathies, &
purrs of peace en route.

I have similar problems with some of our cats too. They are Birman &
Ragdolls amongst our feline family, so I do understand the furr
matting you describe.

I'm inclined to tell you to splash out on the groomers to start with,
then from then on, use the method that she prefers best, to carry on
that good work, & to make your bond stronger. I also agree about the
trauma association problem, so I did exactly the same thing, & since
having Biffy done, I never regretted it for a moment. Good Luck
Claude,

Purrs, of peace,
Sheelagh>"o"<

Claude V. Lucas
November 6th 08, 05:32 PM
In article >,
Sheelagh>\"o\ <" > wrote:
>On Nov 5, 12:59*am, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.
>>
>> Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
>> remember Bubba the Maine Coon.
>>
>> Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
>> from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
>> him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
>> close friends.
>>
>> Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
>> from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could easily
>> be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
>> smaller. She's a real sweetheart.
>>
>> When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to the
>> point where I had to have his belly shaved. Rascal is also extremely
>> matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
>> is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
>> start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
>> the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
>> that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor condition.
>>
>> Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?
>>
>> Ideas?
>
>I just wanted to say that we are all so sorry to hear that Bubba has
>passed the golden gate.
>We knew how much you loved him, & I have to agree, he was a stunning
>chap to look at, wasn't he!
>I can only hope that your new little one can help hold the space where
>all that pain that still resides. You have our utter sympathies, &
>purrs of peace en route.
>
>I have similar problems with some of our cats too. They are Birman &
>Ragdolls amongst our feline family, so I do understand the furr
>matting you describe.
>
>I'm inclined to tell you to splash out on the groomers to start with,
>then from then on, use the method that she prefers best, to carry on
>that good work, & to make your bond stronger. I also agree about the
>trauma association problem, so I did exactly the same thing, & since
>having Biffy done, I never regretted it for a moment. Good Luck
>Claude,

Thanks much.

The more that Rascal's around the more it seems as if she
could be Bubba' sister. She even hisses at the outdoor cats
the same way he did.

Pix to come..

Stampir
November 6th 08, 09:41 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Stampir" > wrote in message
>
>> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_mats.jpg
>> > http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After-3s.jpg
>> >

>> Sly doesn't look very happy in the last photograph on the right --
>> he looks kinda mean!
>
> He was starving! He polished off about 5 or 6 cans of FF right after the
> pictures.
>
> He's a sweetheart. It just took awhile for him to trust me.
>
> Phil

Poor guy, he's had a rough life, he's lucky he found you (or maybe
vice-versa).

cybercat
November 7th 08, 09:03 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
> The more that Rascal's around the more it seems as if she
> could be Bubba' sister. She even hisses at the outdoor cats
> the same way he did.
>
> Pix to come..

YAY!

Claude V. Lucas
November 7th 08, 10:43 PM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
>> The more that Rascal's around the more it seems as if she
>> could be Bubba' sister. She even hisses at the outdoor cats
>> the same way he did.
>>
>> Pix to come..
>
>YAY!

Well, here she is....

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg

Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
a few bald spots. LOL...

cybercat
November 7th 08, 10:49 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> cybercat > wrote:
>>
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
>>> The more that Rascal's around the more it seems as if she
>>> could be Bubba' sister. She even hisses at the outdoor cats
>>> the same way he did.
>>>
>>> Pix to come..
>>
>>YAY!
>>

> Well, here she is....
>

> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg
>

> Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
> a few bald spots. LOL...

Oh my goodness! What a striking diva!! I'm so glad she got a clean bill of
health, and a good once-over on her lovely coat. Does she have one blue and
one green eye, as it appears in this photo, or is it just the light?

CatNipped[_2_]
November 7th 08, 10:51 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> cybercat > wrote:
>>
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
>>> The more that Rascal's around the more it seems as if she
>>> could be Bubba' sister. She even hisses at the outdoor cats
>>> the same way he did.
>>>
>>> Pix to come..
>>
>>YAY!
>>

> Well, here she is....
>

> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg
>

> Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
> a few bald spots. LOL...

Oh my - she is a beauty! She reminds me a lot of my Bandit.
http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Bandit.asp

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
November 7th 08, 11:00 PM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> cybercat > wrote:

>>>YAY!
>>>

>> Well, here she is....
>>

>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg
>>

>> Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
>> a few bald spots. LOL...
>
>Oh my goodness! What a striking diva!! I'm so glad she got a clean bill of
>health, and a good once-over on her lovely coat. Does she have one blue and
>one green eye, as it appears in this photo, or is it just the light?

Both eyes are bright green, I had trouble getting a half decent picture
in the light at that time.

11.5 lbs. Vet says she could stand to lose the half, but isn't obese.

She's pretty good sized for a girlycat. I thought
she was tiny, but I'm used to 25 lbs...

Claude V. Lucas
November 7th 08, 11:07 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> cybercat > wrote:

>>>YAY!
>>>

>> Well, here she is....
>>

>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg
>>

>> Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
>> a few bald spots. LOL...
>
>Oh my - she is a beauty! She reminds me a lot of my Bandit.
>http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Bandit.asp

She was really pretty too.

How big was she?

Rascal is showing signs of being really smart too. She's already
checked the place out and has figured out where it's not good for
her to go. She doesn't seem to like other cats either. She sits
in the window and howls & hisses when she sees one. She ignores
the neighbor's Chihuahuas so far.

She's a rocket compared to Bubba as far as being quick. On
reflection I think he was always sluggish and placid because
of his heart, though.

cybercat
November 7th 08, 11:16 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote:

> 11.5 lbs. Vet says she could stand to lose the half, but isn't obese.
>
> She's pretty good sized for a girlycat. I thought
> she was tiny, but I'm used to 25 lbs...

haha! She is 4 lbs heavier than my Gracie, who is 7.5 soaking wet! Your
girlycat could beat my girlycat any time! Congrats to both of you and a
long, happy, healthy life to both of you, too. She is so lucky to have you.

Claude V. Lucas
November 8th 08, 12:13 AM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote:
>>
>> 11.5 lbs. Vet says she could stand to lose the half, but isn't obese.
>>
>> She's pretty good sized for a girlycat. I thought
>> she was tiny, but I'm used to 25 lbs...
>
>haha! She is 4 lbs heavier than my Gracie, who is 7.5 soaking wet! Your
>girlycat could beat my girlycat any time! Congrats to both of you and a
>long, happy, healthy life to both of you, too. She is so lucky to have you.

Thanks much

Phil P.
November 8th 08, 01:55 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> cybercat > wrote:
> >
> >"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
> >> The more that Rascal's around the more it seems as if she
> >> could be Bubba' sister. She even hisses at the outdoor cats
> >> the same way he did.
> >>
> >> Pix to come..
> >
> >YAY!
> >

> Well, here she is....
>

> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg
>

> Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
> a few bald spots. LOL...

Wow! She's a beauty. Her face is shaped like a perfect heart!

Best of luck to both of you.

Phil

Claude V. Lucas
November 8th 08, 04:49 PM
In article >,
Phil P. > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> cybercat > wrote:

>> >YAY!
>> >

>> Well, here she is....
>>

>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg
>>

>> Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
>> a few bald spots. LOL...
>
>Wow! She's a beauty. Her face is shaped like a perfect heart!
>
>Best of luck to both of you.

She seems to have a great personality now that she's getting
used to me and my place too.

It amazes me that I've been able to get a couple of really
wonderful cats like Bubba and Rascal at the shelter.

I'm sure you see *way* too much of it.

Thanks again.

CatNipped[_2_]
November 8th 08, 04:52 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message

>>> Well, here she is....
>>>

>>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg
>>>

>>> Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
>>> a few bald spots. LOL...
>>
>>Oh my - she is a beauty! She reminds me a lot of my Bandit.
>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Bandit.asp
>>

> She was really pretty too.
>
> How big was she?
>
> Rascal is showing signs of being really smart too. She's already
> checked the place out and has figured out where it's not good for
> her to go. She doesn't seem to like other cats either. She sits
> in the window and howls & hisses when she sees one. She ignores
> the neighbor's Chihuahuas so far.
>
> She's a rocket compared to Bubba as far as being quick. On
> reflection I think he was always sluggish and placid because
> of his heart, though.

In her prime she weighed 12 pounds (she was a mixed breed, not a full Maine
Coon) - which was a bit too much for her frame. When she reached 10 she
started losing weight rapidly and I thought we were losing her. But her
weight stabilized at 9 pounds for the next 7 years. Then at the very end
she started losing weight again.

Sammy, whom I think may have a lot more Maine Coon in her than Bandit did,
is a little over 20 pounds - but *very* little of that is fat. She's very
muscular and she has a huge frame. She looks like a normal-sized cat until
you see her next to another cat and then you realize how big she is. She
can stand on her hind legs and be able to look at the top of my kitchen
counters. She's also very active - her favorite game is "chase". Before my
accident I used to run through the house either chasing her or letting her
chase me. Fortunately, she now has Archer to play chase with.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
November 8th 08, 05:22 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:

>>>Oh my - she is a beauty! She reminds me a lot of my Bandit.
>>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Bandit.asp
>>>

>> She was really pretty too.
>>
>> How big was she?
>>
>> Rascal is showing signs of being really smart too. She's already
>> checked the place out and has figured out where it's not good for
>> her to go. She doesn't seem to like other cats either. She sits
>> in the window and howls & hisses when she sees one. She ignores
>> the neighbor's Chihuahuas so far.
>>
>> She's a rocket compared to Bubba as far as being quick. On
>> reflection I think he was always sluggish and placid because
>> of his heart, though.
>
>In her prime she weighed 12 pounds (she was a mixed breed, not a full Maine
>Coon) - which was a bit too much for her frame. When she reached 10 she
>started losing weight rapidly and I thought we were losing her. But her
>weight stabilized at 9 pounds for the next 7 years. Then at the very end
>she started losing weight again.

12 pounds is pretty good sized.

Rascal's 11 1/2 and is a bit plump in the middle.

The vet said she isn't obese as long as she can jump up
on things and can reach everywhere to clean herself but could
stand to lose the half so no free-feeding.

>Sammy, whom I think may have a lot more Maine Coon in her than Bandit did,
>is a little over 20 pounds - but *very* little of that is fat. She's very
>muscular and she has a huge frame. She looks like a normal-sized cat until
>you see her next to another cat and then you realize how big she is. She
>can stand on her hind legs and be able to look at the top of my kitchen
>counters. She's also very active - her favorite game is "chase". Before my
>accident I used to run through the house either chasing her or letting her
>chase me. Fortunately, she now has Archer to play chase with.

20 is a *big* cat. Especially for a female.

I'm not doing a whole lot of running these days either, but Rascal
seems to be a little house rocket. I'm not sure what she thinks
she's chasing, but she's having fun with it, whatever it is.

I'm already thinking about maybe getting her a playmate, but
she seems to share the same hostility to other cats that Bubba
had. I have to think more deeply on it. I don't want to live in
a feline war zone...

Sheelagh>\o\
November 9th 08, 02:20 PM
On Nov 7, 10:43*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>
> cybercat > wrote:
>
> >"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote :
> >> The more that Rascal's around the more it seems as if she
> >> could be Bubba' sister. She even hisses at the outdoor cats
> >> the same way he did.
>
> >> Pix to come..
>
> >YAY!
>
> Well, here she is....
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg
>
> Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
> a few bald spots. LOL...

Stunning!

<grining like a chshire cat here, Lol>

She certainly knows how to strike a pose:o)

Sheelagh>"o"<