PDA

View Full Version : Do Cats Pretend They Are People?

javawizard
November 6th 08, 03:48 PM
Do cats pretend they are people? Consider Anya. She is a half-Siamese
kitty who is full-grown, and just less than a year old. When her owner
steps out of the shower and turns off the water, she steps into the
wet bathtub, shakes her feet a little bit, and then just sits there
facing the showerhead for about five minutes. What is she thinking?
When Anya's owners ask her to "do a summersault," she usually
complies. She will tip her head down to the rug, and then roll over.
She seems to like to please her owner. One day her owner was fooling
around with 360 degree pirouettes, like dancers do. Anya saw that, and
then turned around exactly 360 degrees two separate times within a few
minutes. - from the Cats section of www.odd-info.com

Baird Stafford
November 6th 08, 09:29 PM
In article
javawizard > wrote:

> Do cats pretend they are people? Consider Anya. She is a half-Siamese
> kitty who is full-grown, and just less than a year old. When her owner
> steps out of the shower and turns off the water, she steps into the
> wet bathtub, shakes her feet a little bit, and then just sits there
> facing the showerhead for about five minutes. What is she thinking?
> When Anya's owners ask her to "do a summersault," she usually
> complies. She will tip her head down to the rug, and then roll over.
> She seems to like to please her owner. One day her owner was fooling
> around with 360 degree pirouettes, like dancers do. Anya saw that, and
> then turned around exactly 360 degrees two separate times within a few
> minutes. - from the Cats section of www.odd-info.com

'Tisn't a pretense. Cats *are* People. I know this because Leila tells
me so, and therefore it must be true.

Baird

--
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and in a divided country
that's enough to win elections. -Bill Steele

Ralph
November 6th 08, 11:13 PM
Heavens, no!!

In the beginning, God created man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him the
cat.
- Warren Eckstein

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of
the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it
would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
- Mark Twain Notebook, 1894

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

"With the qualities of cleanliness, affection, patience, dignity, and
courage that cats have, how many of us, I ask you, would be capable of
becoming cats?"
- Fernand Mery

"As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows
cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human kind."
- Cleveland Amory

"javawizard" > wrote in message
> Do cats pretend they are people? Consider Anya. She is a half-Siamese
> kitty who is full-grown, and just less than a year old. When her owner
> steps out of the shower and turns off the water, she steps into the
> wet bathtub, shakes her feet a little bit, and then just sits there
> facing the showerhead for about five minutes. What is she thinking?
> When Anya's owners ask her to "do a summersault," she usually
> complies. She will tip her head down to the rug, and then roll over.
> She seems to like to please her owner. One day her owner was fooling
> around with 360 degree pirouettes, like dancers do. Anya saw that, and
> then turned around exactly 360 degrees two separate times within a few
> minutes. - from the Cats section of www.odd-info.com

philo
November 8th 08, 03:55 AM
"javawizard" > wrote in message
> Do cats pretend they are people? Consider Anya. She is a half-Siamese
> kitty who is full-grown, and just less than a year old. When her owner
> steps out of the shower and turns off the water, she steps into the
> wet bathtub, shakes her feet a little bit, and then just sits there
> facing the showerhead for about five minutes. What is she thinking?
> When Anya's owners ask her to "do a summersault," she usually
> complies. She will tip her head down to the rug, and then roll over.
> She seems to like to please her owner. One day her owner was fooling
> around with 360 degree pirouettes, like dancers do. Anya saw that, and
> then turned around exactly 360 degrees two separate times within a few
> minutes. - from the Cats section of www.odd-info.com

Nope
they do not pretend they are people...

they really think they are people <G>

(but sometimes I pretend I'm a cat)

November 11th 08, 04:18 AM
of course not its ridicilious..
human have a brain with mind but cat do have brain but don't have
mind..
God created us uniquely..

i think Anya just same like my cat, she loves her owner to play wit
her n confront her..

xoxo,
aineecumi

neway, my secret to release tension is playing this game <a
href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com> http://uc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://gc.gamestotal.com> http://gc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
November 11th 08, 07:56 PM
wrote:
> of course not its ridicilious..

True, what self-respecting cat would WANT to be human?

> human have a brain with mind but cat do have brain but don't have
> mind..

Clearly you've never lived closely with a cat! (A cat's reasoning
powers often appear to exceed those of some people - including yours,
evidently.)

John Doe
November 28th 08, 02:59 AM
Unfortunately, some people pretend that cats are people. Trying to
understand your cat is humane and will produce much better results
than expecting your cat to understand you.

--
A picture of Kitty sleeping on their Skyway.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2975098093

John Doe
November 28th 08, 03:15 AM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote:
> wrote:

>> human have a brain with mind but cat do have brain but don't have
>> mind..
>
> Clearly you've never lived closely with a cat! (A cat's reasoning
> powers often appear to exceed those of some people - including
> yours, evidently.)

Hopefully you don't use the illusion that cats are as smart or
smarter than humans to justify losing your temper and beating your
cat when it does something wrong, because "it knew better".

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
November 28th 08, 10:25 PM
John Doe wrote:
> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote:
>> wrote:
>
>>> human have a brain with mind but cat do have brain but don't have
>>> mind..
>> Clearly you've never lived closely with a cat! (A cat's reasoning
>> powers often appear to exceed those of some people - including
>> yours, evidently.)
>
> Hopefully you don't use the illusion that cats are as smart or
> smarter than humans to justify losing your temper and beating your
> cat when it does something wrong, because "it knew better".

A) I don't ever "lose my temper " with my cats! What would be the
point? (They don't see things the same way humans do.)

B) Unlike dogs, they have the good sense not to let their people CATCH
them doing "something wrong" - and with more than one cat, you can be
sure that, when one discovers the evidence of wrong-doing, all of the
clowder will regard one with the same innocent "Who? Me?" expression.

C) Why would I "beat" a cat, in any case? (Or a child, for that matter?)

D) A propos the subject of feline intelligence, you prove my point that
the intellect of the average cat exceeds that of some humans.

cybercat
November 28th 08, 11:14 PM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote:>
> D) A propos the subject of feline intelligence, you prove my point that
> the intellect of the average cat exceeds that of some humans.

Yes, he'll do that.

November 29th 08, 03:44 PM
On Nov 28, 6:14*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote:>
> > D) *A propos the subject of feline intelligence, you prove my point that
> > the intellect of the average cat exceeds that of some humans.
>
> Yes, he'll do that.

I know cats don't "think they're human", but I do wonder what cats
(and dogs) think their relationship really is. with us. Though cats
(according to George Carlin) pretty much say "f**k you I'm a cat",
they do know and acknowledge that they need us by begging if they're
hungry, and meowing for various things here and there. When my
littlest cat Aster sits on me and purrs, and rubs against me, she
seems to regard me like a father, I feel. When the middle cat,
Ezmerelda, does that with my wife, it still feels like the cat thinks
she's the boss. If you have cats maybe you know what I mean.

Once the little cat meows (or does the "Figure 8's") for food and gets
it she will continue to do Figure 8's and meow like she's saying
thanks. She pretty much regards me as the master. But Ezzie once she
gets fed gives me a look like "yeah you BETTER feed me, bi**h" or
"It's about time". She turns on me, LOL. I haven't done anything to
TRY to make the cats view me different, they just have VASTLY
different personalities. Once I saw that Aster clung to me, then I
decided to run with it of course!! Again, if you have cats I think
you get it.

cwcatartist
December 10th 08, 07:02 PM
> Do cats pretend they are people?

Yes, mine is determined to learn to talk -- and works at it whenever
she wants something. I believe evolution will bring about speech for
cats.

Carol Wilson, Cat Artist
http://www.cafepress.com/carolwilsoncats
http://CarolWilsonCatArt.imagekind.com

December 11th 08, 02:27 AM
Did y'all know you are responding to a troll?

When crap like this comes up, just check the profile.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

John Doe
December 22nd 08, 02:00 AM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" <evgmsop earthlink.net> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:

>>> Clearly you've never lived closely with a cat! (A cat's
>>> reasoning powers often appear to exceed those of some people -
>>> including yours, evidently.)
>>
>> Hopefully you don't use the illusion that cats are as smart or
>> smarter than humans to justify losing your temper and beating
>> your cat when it does something wrong, because "it knew better".
>
> A) I don't ever "lose my temper " with my cats!

Could be, but I wouldn't expect you to admit it if you regularly do.

> C) Why would I "beat" a cat, in any case? (Or a child, for that
> matter?)

Your problem is not uncommon, treating a cat like a child, leading
to a seriously warped relationship. A child constantly develops and
grows into adult human beings, a cat is a mentally and physically
mature animal.

> D) A propos the subject of feline intelligence, you prove my
> point that the intellect of the average cat exceeds that of some
> humans.

Whatever you say, troll.

--
Land Skis (rough terrain skates). The first rollerblades with a big
front wheel and small trailing wheels, to help roll over obstacles

John Doe
December 22nd 08, 02:02 AM
"cybercat" > wrote:
> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote:

>> D) A propos the subject of feline intelligence, you prove my
>> point that the intellect of the average cat exceeds that of some
>> humans.
>
> Yes, he'll do that.

Time to go see how the not quite grown up troll is doing in her new
trolling grounds (the cooking group, unless she's moved on from
there).

--
Land Skis (rough terrain skates). The first rollerblades with a big
front wheel and small trailing wheels, to help roll over obstacles
while maintaining a low stance.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3056505603

cybercat
December 22nd 08, 02:10 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote:
>
>>> D) A propos the subject of feline intelligence, you prove my
>>> point that the intellect of the average cat exceeds that of some
>>> humans.
>>
>> Yes, he'll do that.
>
> Time to go see how the not quite grown up troll is doing in her new
> trolling grounds (the cooking group, unless she's moved on from
> there).

Mark, you're a bit late with this.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
December 22nd 08, 09:01 PM
John Doe wrote:

> Whatever you say, troll.

Speaking of pots and kettles! Only a really idiot would try to revive a
dispute a month after the last previous post! (P-L-O-N-K!)

Okikuro
February 10th 09, 06:08 PM
In article >,
John Doe > wrote:

> Land Skis (rough terrain skates). The first rollerblades with a big
> front wheel and small trailing wheels, to help roll over obstacles
> while maintaining a low stance.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3056505603

and O.T.

I hope everyone has tried a "Trikke". a 3 wheel scooter powered by
Gravity. I have an 8" wheeled one. they make a 12 incher. Fun!
Google; Trikke
--
It's amazing what you can do. If...
you put your mind to it.