PDA

View Full Version : FIP

rich
November 9th 08, 01:53 AM
Does anyone know of a way of acquiring Feline Interferon Omega in the USA? I know its not approved, bot off-label? Imported?

Seems to be the little guy's best shot.

Rich

Wendy
November 9th 08, 06:39 PM
"Feline interferon-omega (Virbagen Omega, Virbac) has been used in Europe
and other parts of the world to treat FIP, but its efficacy is unknown. The
drug is currently not available in North America. This study evaluated the
efficacy of feline interferon-omega on the survival time and quality of life
in 37 privately owned cats with naturally occurring FIP. The study was
designed as a placebo-controlled double-blind trial. There was no
statistical difference in the survival time or other variables in cats
receiving feline interferon-omega compared to cats receiving placebo."

http://winnfelinehealth.blogspot.com/2008/03/feline-interferon-as-treatment-for-fip.html

I wouldn't waste your money trying to get this. I've heard of other studies
that came to the same conclusion, that Feline interferon-omega makes no
difference in the outcome.

I'm so sorry about your kitten. I've also lost a kitten to this disease.

Wendy

"Rich" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a way of acquiring Feline Interferon Omega in the USA?
> I know its not approved, bot off-label? Imported?
>
> Seems to be the little guy's best shot.
>

> Rich

rich
November 11th 08, 01:25 PM
Thanks, but I'm still in the market for the feline interferon omega.

I tend to be mega-unimpressed with small group clinical testing.* They cannot control for a fraction of a percent of all the variables that could effect results. I was familiar with this study, and with only 37 cats, they could not have possibly factored in of co-factors of diet, environment, etc. They may well be right, but I'm not betting a possible extension of my cats limited life on it.

Sites that indicate good results:
http://www.dr-addie.com/treatment.htm
http://thecatswhiskers.wordpress.com/2007/05/16/feline-infectious-peritonitis-fip-in-a-nutshell/
http://vetinterferon.nexenservices.com/reports.php?site=interferon&lang=eng

Rich

*Someone may correct me on the drug, but I believe it was morphine that was originally considered a failure in early 20th century testing, resulting in it being rejected for use in WW1, and therefore resulting in tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths. Problem is, they used dogs in the tests, and dogs are morphine intolerant. Tests were perfectly well done, but gave totally incorrect, and deadly, results.

wendy wrote:
> "Feline interferon-omega (Virbagen Omega, Virbac) has been used in Europe
> and other parts of the world to treat FIP, but its efficacy is unknown. The
> drug is currently not available in North America. This study evaluated the
> efficacy of feline interferon-omega on the survival time and quality of life
> in 37 privately owned cats with naturally occurring FIP. The study was
> designed as a placebo-controlled double-blind trial. There was no
> statistical difference in the survival time or other variables in cats
> receiving feline interferon-omega compared to cats receiving placebo."
>
> http://winnfelinehealth.blogspot.com/2008/03/feline-interferon-as-treatment-for-fip.html
>
> I wouldn't waste your money trying to get this. I've heard of other studies
> that came to the same conclusion, that Feline interferon-omega makes no
> difference in the outcome.
>
> I'm so sorry about your kitten. I've also lost a kitten to this disease.
>
> Wendy
>
> "Rich" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone know of a way of acquiring Feline Interferon Omega in the USA?
>> I know its not approved, bot off-label? Imported?
>>
>> Seems to be the little guy's best shot.
>>

>> Rich

Wendy
November 11th 08, 02:45 PM
You may want to get on the FIP Yahoo group. There are people there who are
quite knowledgeable on this subject.

"Rich" > wrote in message
> Thanks, but I'm still in the market for the feline interferon omega.
>
> I tend to be mega-unimpressed with small group clinical testing.* They
> cannot control for a fraction of a percent of all the variables that could
> effect results. I was familiar with this study, and with only 37 cats,
> they could not have possibly factored in of co-factors of diet,
> environment, etc. They may well be right, but I'm not betting a possible
> extension of my cats limited life on it.
>
> Sites that indicate good results:
> http://www.dr-addie.com/treatment.htm
> http://thecatswhiskers.wordpress.com/2007/05/16/feline-infectious-peritonitis-fip-in-a-nutshell/
> http://vetinterferon.nexenservices.com/reports.php?site=interferon&lang=eng
>
> Rich
>
> *Someone may correct me on the drug, but I believe it was morphine that
> was originally considered a failure in early 20th century testing,
> resulting in it being rejected for use in WW1, and therefore resulting in
> tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths. Problem is, they used dogs in the
> tests, and dogs are morphine intolerant. Tests were perfectly well done,
> but gave totally incorrect, and deadly, results.
>

> wendy wrote:
>> "Feline interferon-omega (Virbagen Omega, Virbac) has been used in Europe
>> and other parts of the world to treat FIP, but its efficacy is unknown.
>> The drug is currently not available in North America. This study
>> evaluated the efficacy of feline interferon-omega on the survival time
>> and quality of life in 37 privately owned cats with naturally occurring
>> FIP. The study was designed as a placebo-controlled double-blind trial.
>> There was no statistical difference in the survival time or other
>> variables in cats receiving feline interferon-omega compared to cats
>> receiving placebo."
>>
>> http://winnfelinehealth.blogspot.com/2008/03/feline-interferon-as-treatment-for-fip.html
>>
>> I wouldn't waste your money trying to get this. I've heard of other
>> studies that came to the same conclusion, that Feline interferon-omega
>> makes no difference in the outcome.
>>
>> I'm so sorry about your kitten. I've also lost a kitten to this disease.
>>
>> Wendy
>>
>> "Rich" > wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know of a way of acquiring Feline Interferon Omega in the
>>> USA? I know its not approved, bot off-label? Imported?
>>>
>>> Seems to be the little guy's best shot.
>>>

>>> Rich

rich
November 13th 08, 11:15 PM
Thanks, will definitely do that if 2 local sources do not pan out.

Rich