PDA

View Full Version : Carpet cleaning?

Sylvia M[_5_]
November 13th 08, 05:24 AM
I am afraid to have our now very soiled carpets cleaned, since the loss
of my last cat correlated with having my carpets cleaned. I can't say
it was causal for sure.
She had horrible things happen to her paws and claws within the month,
and then we discovered cancer of her mouth.

I had the company come out and thoroughly rinse the chemical out of the
carpet before I could consider getting another cat, a long while after.
I now have a 4 year old cat (but never had carpet cleaned since.)

Q #1. Has anyone else had similar experiences, and with what
system/product/company?

Q #2. Any ideas of safe systems/products/companies? (We can't do our
own...back problems.)

T.I.A.

Sylvia M

Sylvia M[_5_]
November 13th 08, 07:35 AM
"hopitus" > wrote in message
> On Nov 12, 10:24 pm, "Sylvia M" > wrote:
>> I am afraid to have our now very soiled carpets cleaned, since the
>> loss
>> of my last cat correlated with having my carpets cleaned. I can't
>> say
>> it was causal for sure.
>> She had horrible things happen to her paws and claws within the
>> month,
>> and then we discovered cancer of her mouth.
>>
>> I had the company come out and thoroughly rinse the chemical out of
>> the
>> carpet before I could consider getting another cat, a long while
>> after.
>> I now have a 4 year old cat (but never had carpet cleaned since.)
>>
>> Q #1. Has anyone else had similar experiences, and with what
>> system/product/company?
>>
>> Q #2. Any ideas of safe systems/products/companies? (We can't do our
>> own...back problems.)
>>
>> T.I.A.
>>
>> Sylvia M
>
> Get off these newsgroups and google for what chemicals are in
> carpeting...I know for
> one thing i formaldehyde, although companies largely deny its use. If
> you read up and
> get informed what to look for/ask about/get in writing form companies,
> you will be an
> informed consumer. Lotsa deadly and harmful stuff in new carpeting,
> for beings close
> to floor, like babies and pets.

Too true.
I would assume also true of carpet cleaners, and carpet cleaning
companies,
which is what my questions referred ro. However, some readers may have
had
experience with Nation-wide companies who did not harm their cats.

Outsider
November 13th 08, 11:51 AM
"Sylvia M" > wrote in :

> Too true.
> I would assume also true of carpet cleaners, and carpet cleaning
> companies,
> which is what my questions referred ro. However, some readers may
have
> had
> experience with Nation-wide companies who did not harm their cats.

Some thoughts on this:

The material in the carpet/backing might be the biggest problem.

Plain water will likely clean almost as well as anything else the cleaner
might use.

------

I searched for "chemical sensitivity" on the thought that these links may
get you the info you need even though not pet specific. These are just a
few of many search results.

http://information.aleelo.com/search/entryPage.htm?keyword=chemical%
20sensitivities&source=STG_814968849

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_chemical_sensitivity

http://www.chemicalsensitivityfoundation.org/

http://www.mcsrr.org/

kraut
November 13th 08, 02:08 PM

>> Too true.
>> I would assume also true of carpet cleaners, and carpet cleaning
>> companies,
>> which is what my questions referred ro. However, some readers may
>have
>> had
>> experience with Nation-wide companies who did not harm their cats.
>

>Some thoughts on this:
>
>The material in the carpet/backing might be the biggest problem.
>
>Plain water will likely clean almost as well as anything else the cleaner
>might use.

Buy a carpet cleaning machine of your own and buy a pet freindly
cleaner or whatever they call them and clean you own carpets which is
what I do.

A little more work but you know what you are getting.

cybercat
November 13th 08, 06:58 PM
"Sylvia M" > wrote in message ...
>I am afraid to have our now very soiled carpets cleaned, since the loss of
>my last cat correlated with having my carpets cleaned. I can't say it was
>causal for sure.
> She had horrible things happen to her paws and claws within the month, and
> then we discovered cancer of her mouth.

Why not get rid of the carpet? It's bad for humans and cats with allergies,
regardless of the chemicals in cleaning fluids. With hardwoods, laminate or
tile floors and area rugs you will have a cleaner, healthier home.

Rene S.
November 13th 08, 09:02 PM
I have three cats and clean my own carpets. I have a carpet machine
and use either Oxiclean or Holy Cow cleaner (all natural multi-purpose
cleaner). Is there a chance you have a friend or relative who can do
this for you, even if you have to pay them a little something? You
would have much more control over what's being put on/into your
carpets.

Sylvia M[_5_]
November 14th 08, 04:55 AM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
>I have three cats and clean my own carpets. I have a carpet machine
> and use either Oxiclean or Holy Cow cleaner (all natural multi-purpose
> cleaner). Is there a chance you have a friend or relative who can do
> this for you, even if you have to pay them a little something? You
> would have much more control over what's being put on/into your
> carpets.

A good possibility.
I appreciate the brand names.

Thanks, and thanks to all for your thoughts.

Sylvia

November 14th 08, 05:12 PM
> A good possibility.
> I appreciate the brand names.
>
> Thanks, and thanks to all for your thoughts.
>
> Sylvia

FWIW, I can only find the Holy Cow cleaner at Walgreens.

Sylvia M[_5_]
November 15th 08, 06:29 AM
> wrote in message
>
>> A good possibility.
>> I appreciate the brand names.
>>
>> Thanks, and thanks to all for your thoughts.
>>
>> Sylvia
>
> FWIW, I can only find the Holy Cow cleaner at Walgreens.

xlnt! I'll get it there.