PDA

View Full Version : Marlo's drooling

dgk
November 14th 08, 01:36 PM
As I was leaving for work I noticed that there were several wet spots
on the bed. I checked the butts of my three cats but all were fine and
there was no evidence of problems in the litterbox. Then I noticed
that Marlo was drooling a bit. I've had that before with a cat and it
was likely some bug that he had eaten.

There is no evidence of any other problem with Marlo. She seems
perfectly insane as always. I tried to get a look into her mouth but
was only able to push up the gums a bit and look from the side. I
didn't see anything wrong.

This would be the worst day to blow off work since I have meetings
that I really need to be at so I had to go. If she's still drooling
when I get home we're off to the vet.

Rene S.
November 14th 08, 02:07 PM
Yes, please take her to the vet. Drooling can mean any number of
things, from tooth/gum problems, poisoning, and more. Worth checking
out just to make sure she's all right.

Spot[_2_]
November 14th 08, 04:13 PM
Last time squeekers was doing this he had a piece of toe nail stuck in his
gums. Once I got it out he was ok. Hope it's nothing serious.

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBayŽ auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip

"dgk" > wrote in message
> As I was leaving for work I noticed that there were several wet spots
> on the bed. I checked the butts of my three cats but all were fine and
> there was no evidence of problems in the litterbox. Then I noticed
> that Marlo was drooling a bit. I've had that before with a cat and it
> was likely some bug that he had eaten.
>
> There is no evidence of any other problem with Marlo. She seems
> perfectly insane as always. I tried to get a look into her mouth but
> was only able to push up the gums a bit and look from the side. I
> didn't see anything wrong.
>
> This would be the worst day to blow off work since I have meetings
> that I really need to be at so I had to go. If she's still drooling
> when I get home we're off to the vet.

dgk
November 14th 08, 04:30 PM
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:13:44 GMT, "Spot" > wrote:

>Last time squeekers was doing this he had a piece of toe nail stuck in his
>gums. Once I got it out he was ok. Hope it's nothing serious.
>
>Celeste

I'm getting out of here at 1:30 and will rush home.

Claude V. Lucas
November 14th 08, 05:10 PM
In article >,
dgk > wrote:
>As I was leaving for work I noticed that there were several wet spots
>on the bed. I checked the butts of my three cats but all were fine and
>there was no evidence of problems in the litterbox. Then I noticed
>that Marlo was drooling a bit. I've had that before with a cat and it
>was likely some bug that he had eaten.
>
>There is no evidence of any other problem with Marlo. She seems
>perfectly insane as always. I tried to get a look into her mouth but
>was only able to push up the gums a bit and look from the side. I
>didn't see anything wrong.
>
>This would be the worst day to blow off work since I have meetings
>that I really need to be at so I had to go. If she's still drooling
>when I get home we're off to the vet.

My new friend, Rascal, is a drooler too.

The vet says she does it when she is happy...

November 14th 08, 05:11 PM
> I'm getting out of here at 1:30 and will rush home.

Good for you. With as many problems as I've had lately with our cats,
it's better to nip things in the bud (if there is a problem).

cybercat
November 14th 08, 11:34 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote:>
> My new friend, Rascal, is a drooler too.
>
> The vet says she does it when she is happy...

My Gracie drools when she is terrified. She has done it twice at the vet.

CatNipped[_2_]
November 14th 08, 11:55 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Claude V. Lucas" > wrote:>
>> My new friend, Rascal, is a drooler too.
>>
>> The vet says she does it when she is happy...
>
> My Gracie drools when she is terrified. She has done it twice at the vet.

Both Ozzy and Archer will drool when they're getting especially good
skritchin's.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
November 15th 08, 12:51 AM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote:>
>> My new friend, Rascal, is a drooler too.
>>
>> The vet says she does it when she is happy...
>
>My Gracie drools when she is terrified. She has done it twice at the vet.

Rascal mainly does it when I'm lying down and she's laying on my chest...

She likes the vet. Not the trip to the vet, but she seems to like the vet.

T[_4_]
November 15th 08, 01:43 AM
In article >,
says...
> In article >,
> dgk > wrote:
> >As I was leaving for work I noticed that there were several wet spots
> >on the bed. I checked the butts of my three cats but all were fine and
> >there was no evidence of problems in the litterbox. Then I noticed
> >that Marlo was drooling a bit. I've had that before with a cat and it
> >was likely some bug that he had eaten.
> >
> >There is no evidence of any other problem with Marlo. She seems
> >perfectly insane as always. I tried to get a look into her mouth but
> >was only able to push up the gums a bit and look from the side. I
> >didn't see anything wrong.
> >
> >This would be the worst day to blow off work since I have meetings
> >that I really need to be at so I had to go. If she's still drooling
> >when I get home we're off to the vet.
>
> My new friend, Rascal, is a drooler too.
>
> The vet says she does it when she is happy...

I've never had a cat that was a drooler but I have met one that was.

My friend owns 40 acres on the RI/CT border and he's got several cats on
the property.

One of them was a male cat named Quackers. Quackers would drool like a
fiend when it was feeding time.

Claude V. Lucas
November 15th 08, 02:06 AM
In article >,
T > wrote:
>In article >,
>says...
>> In article >,
>> dgk > wrote:
>> >As I was leaving for work I noticed that there were several wet spots
>> >on the bed. I checked the butts of my three cats but all were fine and
>> >there was no evidence of problems in the litterbox. Then I noticed
>> >that Marlo was drooling a bit. I've had that before with a cat and it
>> >was likely some bug that he had eaten.
>> >
>> >There is no evidence of any other problem with Marlo. She seems
>> >perfectly insane as always. I tried to get a look into her mouth but
>> >was only able to push up the gums a bit and look from the side. I
>> >didn't see anything wrong.
>> >
>> >This would be the worst day to blow off work since I have meetings
>> >that I really need to be at so I had to go. If she's still drooling
>> >when I get home we're off to the vet.
>>
>> My new friend, Rascal, is a drooler too.
>>
>> The vet says she does it when she is happy...
>>

>I've never had a cat that was a drooler but I have met one that was.
>
>My friend owns 40 acres on the RI/CT border and he's got several cats on
>the property.
>
>One of them was a male cat named Quackers. Quackers would drool like a
>fiend when it was feeding time.

It's worth a trip to the vet to eliminate the bad possibilities, but
evidently drooling isn't necessarily a bad symptom.

Sloppy, yes...

cybercat
November 15th 08, 04:45 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> As I was leaving for work I noticed that there were several wet spots
> on the bed. I checked the butts of my three cats but all were fine and
> there was no evidence of problems in the litterbox. Then I noticed
> that Marlo was drooling a bit. I've had that before with a cat and it
> was likely some bug that he had eaten.
>
> There is no evidence of any other problem with Marlo. She seems
> perfectly insane as always.

What worries me is that you have had her for a while and she has never done
this before. Let us know how it turns out.

cybercat
November 15th 08, 04:50 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> Both Ozzy and Archer will drool when they're getting especially good
> skritchin's.

Gracie only did it to be a drama queen. :)

dgk
November 17th 08, 01:19 PM
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:45:52 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> As I was leaving for work I noticed that there were several wet spots
>> on the bed. I checked the butts of my three cats but all were fine and
>> there was no evidence of problems in the litterbox. Then I noticed
>> that Marlo was drooling a bit. I've had that before with a cat and it
>> was likely some bug that he had eaten.
>>
>> There is no evidence of any other problem with Marlo. She seems
>> perfectly insane as always.
>
>What worries me is that you have had her for a while and she has never done
>this before. Let us know how it turns out.

Right, Marlo never drools so this is something else. I'm a bit mad at
my vet though, I called on Sat at 2:00 pm for the results and was told
that the vets had left and I'd have to wait until Monday (today). I
did call late but I thought they were in later on Saturday. Still, I
should have been able to get a faxed copy or even pick up a copy. If I
needed to take her to the emergency vet on Sunday I would have been
very ****ed off.

So I still don't know what the tests showed. Saturday afternoon she
was really drooling again; I guess the "drool supression" shot wore
off. Outside of that, she was perfectly normal, running around,
eating, ****ing, even going into the backyard and just being normal
nutso Marlo.

Sunday she stopped drooling. We had put a towel on the bed so we
wouldn't wake up with a wet blanket, but the towel (and quilt) were
both dry. And she was fine all of Sunday and this morning. So, I'll
get the results today but I don't expect anything. Fingers are
crossed.

cybercat
November 17th 08, 04:35 PM
"dgk" > wrote

>>What worries me is that you have had her for a while and she has never
>>done
>>this before. Let us know how it turns out.
>>

> Right, Marlo never drools so this is something else. I'm a bit mad at
> my vet though, I called on Sat at 2:00 pm for the results and was told
> that the vets had left and I'd have to wait until Monday (today). I
> did call late but I thought they were in later on Saturday. Still, I
> should have been able to get a faxed copy or even pick up a copy. If I
> needed to take her to the emergency vet on Sunday I would have been
> very ****ed off.
>
> So I still don't know what the tests showed. Saturday afternoon she
> was really drooling again; I guess the "drool supression" shot wore
> off. Outside of that, she was perfectly normal, running around,
> eating, ****ing, even going into the backyard and just being normal
> nutso Marlo.
>
> Sunday she stopped drooling. We had put a towel on the bed so we
> wouldn't wake up with a wet blanket, but the towel (and quilt) were
> both dry. And she was fine all of Sunday and this morning. So, I'll
> get the results today but I don't expect anything. Fingers are
> crossed.

Mine too. I suspect maybe a dental problem. If so I hope it is something
minor.

CatNipped[_2_]
November 17th 08, 09:55 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>> Both Ozzy and Archer will drool when they're getting especially good
>> skritchin's.
>>

> Gracie only did it to be a drama queen. :)

LOL! Yeah, I can picture little Gracie drooling for the masses (we'll one
mass, but she can dream, can't she?) ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

DWMeowMix
November 18th 08, 11:42 PM
On Nov 17, 6:19*am, dgk > wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:45:52 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

> >"dgk" > wrote in message
> >> As I was leaving for work I noticed that there were several wet spots
> >> on the bed. I checked the butts of my three cats but all were fine and
> >> there was no evidence of problems in the litterbox. Then I noticed
> >> that Marlo was drooling a bit. I've had that before with a cat and it
> >> was likely some bug that he had eaten.
>
> >> There is no evidence of any other problem with Marlo. She seems
> >> perfectly insane as always.
>
> >What worries me is that you have had her for a while and she has never done
> >this before. Let us know how it turns out.
>
> Right, Marlo never drools so this is something else. I'm a bit mad at
> my vet though, I called on Sat at 2:00 pm for the results and was told
> that the vets had left and I'd have to wait until Monday (today). I
> did call late but I thought they were in later on Saturday. Still, I
> should have been able to get a faxed copy or even pick up a copy. If I
> needed to take her to the emergency vet on Sunday I would have been
> very ****ed off.
>
> So I still don't know what the tests showed. Saturday afternoon she
> was really drooling again; I guess the "drool supression" shot wore
> off. Outside of that, she was perfectly normal, running around,
> eating, ****ing, even going into the backyard and just being normal
> nutso Marlo.
>
> Sunday she stopped drooling. We had put a towel on the bed so we
> wouldn't wake up with a wet blanket, but the towel (and quilt) were
> both dry. And she was fine all of Sunday and this morning. So, I'll
> get the results today but I don't expect anything. Fingers are
> crossed.

I hope for your sake that it is minor. My little Jake started
drooling, then in a very short time just under a month, he developed a
swelling along his jawline. It was bone cancer in his jaw. I lost
him this past January.

DWMeowMix

cybercat
November 19th 08, 05:43 AM
"dgk" > wrote

> So I still don't know what the tests showed.

What have you found out?

dgk
November 19th 08, 01:19 PM
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:42:00 -0800 (PST), DWMeowMix
> wrote:

>On Nov 17, 6:19*am, dgk > wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:45:52 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>> >What worries me is that you have had her for a while and she has never done
>> >this before. Let us know how it turns out.
>>
>> Right, Marlo never drools so this is something else. I'm a bit mad at
>> my vet though, I called on Sat at 2:00 pm for the results and was told
>> that the vets had left and I'd have to wait until Monday (today). I
>> did call late but I thought they were in later on Saturday. Still, I
>> should have been able to get a faxed copy or even pick up a copy. If I
>> needed to take her to the emergency vet on Sunday I would have been
>> very ****ed off.
>>
>> So I still don't know what the tests showed. Saturday afternoon she
>> was really drooling again; I guess the "drool supression" shot wore
>> off. Outside of that, she was perfectly normal, running around,
>> eating, ****ing, even going into the backyard and just being normal
>> nutso Marlo.
>>
>> Sunday she stopped drooling. We had put a towel on the bed so we
>> wouldn't wake up with a wet blanket, but the towel (and quilt) were
>> both dry. And she was fine all of Sunday and this morning. So, I'll
>> get the results today but I don't expect anything. Fingers are
>> crossed.
>
>I hope for your sake that it is minor. My little Jake started
>drooling, then in a very short time just under a month, he developed a
>swelling along his jawline. It was bone cancer in his jaw. I lost
>him this past January.
>
>DWMeowMix

Sorry to hear that. Drooling can be anything from eating an noxious
bug to something very major. It appears in this case to be nothing
much.

dgk
November 19th 08, 01:21 PM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:43:05 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote
>>
>> So I still don't know what the tests showed.
>
>What have you found out?

Perfect CBC and chems. Her teeth aren't great but there doesn't appear
to be anything obvious. I guess I count myself lucky for now and keep
an eye open for anything unusual. Of course, I always watch for them
to do something odd.

cybercat
November 19th 08, 02:41 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:43:05 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote
>>>
>>> So I still don't know what the tests showed.
>>
>>What have you found out?
>>

> Perfect CBC and chems. Her teeth aren't great but there doesn't appear
> to be anything obvious. I guess I count myself lucky for now and keep
> an eye open for anything unusual. Of course, I always watch for them
> to do something odd.

Hmmm. I'm glad she's okay now. Our Boo needs a dental, and soon. I am
dreading it, as I hate to risk the anesthesia. (She has heart trouble,
thyroid problems, and is 14.) You really might want to keep an eye on
Marlo's teeth. As I recall she is a young cat. You might be able to ward off
worse problems by having her teeth checked.

DWMeowMix
November 19th 08, 08:40 PM
On Nov 19, 6:19*am, dgk > wrote:
> Sorry to hear that. Drooling can be anything from eating an noxious
> bug to something very major. It appears in this case to be nothing
> much.- Hide quoted text -

That's wonderful to hear!

DWMeowMix

dgk
November 20th 08, 02:15 PM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:41:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:43:05 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"dgk" > wrote

>>>What have you found out?
>>>

>> Perfect CBC and chems. Her teeth aren't great but there doesn't appear
>> to be anything obvious. I guess I count myself lucky for now and keep
>> an eye open for anything unusual. Of course, I always watch for them
>> to do something odd.
>
>Hmmm. I'm glad she's okay now. Our Boo needs a dental, and soon. I am
>dreading it, as I hate to risk the anesthesia. (She has heart trouble,
>thyroid problems, and is 14.) You really might want to keep an eye on
>Marlo's teeth. As I recall she is a young cat. You might be able to ward off
>worse problems by having her teeth checked.

I'm thinking about brushing her teeth. She isn't the best candidate
for that since she is so hyper, but I was at the last Cat Show at MSG
and watched a demonstration on teaching a cat to accept it. You start
by just letting them eat food and (cat) toothpaste off the brush, and
work your way up to the actual brushing. Sounds pretty easy, and she
will eat almost anything. Picky is not a description for Marlo.

cybercat
November 20th 08, 06:05 PM
"dgk" > wrote
> I'm thinking about brushing her teeth. She isn't the best candidate
> for that since she is so hyper, but I was at the last Cat Show at MSG
> and watched a demonstration on teaching a cat to accept it. You start
> by just letting them eat food and (cat) toothpaste off the brush, and
> work your way up to the actual brushing. Sounds pretty easy, and she
> will eat almost anything. Picky is not a description for Marlo.

I've done this with my cats very early on with limited results. The good
thing is, the toothpaste is enzymatic, so you just have to get some ON the
tooth for it to work.

My point was--there was a reason Marlo was drooling. I am surprised your vet
did not thoroughly check her mouth. It is probably a dental problem. Just as
with humans, these can lead to serious health problems for cats, not to
mention pain. Your cat did not drool for no reason.

dgk
November 24th 08, 06:56 PM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:05:48 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote
>> I'm thinking about brushing her teeth. She isn't the best candidate
>> for that since she is so hyper, but I was at the last Cat Show at MSG
>> and watched a demonstration on teaching a cat to accept it. You start
>> by just letting them eat food and (cat) toothpaste off the brush, and
>> work your way up to the actual brushing. Sounds pretty easy, and she
>> will eat almost anything. Picky is not a description for Marlo.
>
>I've done this with my cats very early on with limited results. The good
>thing is, the toothpaste is enzymatic, so you just have to get some ON the
>tooth for it to work.
>
>My point was--there was a reason Marlo was drooling. I am surprised your vet
>did not thoroughly check her mouth. It is probably a dental problem. Just as
>with humans, these can lead to serious health problems for cats, not to
>mention pain. Your cat did not drool for no reason.

One of my cats drooled a few years ago and we never found the cause.
The list of possible candidates is very long. The vet did check her
mouth and saw nothing unusual. Short of X ray I don't know if there is
anything else to do. And, I would think, X ray means sedation?

All I can really do is keep an eye on her and there has been no change
in her behavior. There wasn't even a change while she was drooling.