PDA

View Full Version : what to do

pussypower
November 20th 08, 11:08 PM
What do cat owners out there make of this. A near neighbor has a cat
with oral cancer and it cannot eat properly . It can eat but not
efficiently. It takes ages to eat a small amount because its face
is distorted by the cancer. Its mouth is permanently open and the
tongue hanging out. It is about 1/3rd to 1/2 of its original weight.
Is very bony and its eyes look odd. pupils large and at times it
seems less visually competant than it used to be. The diagnosis was
some months ago. The owner is making no efforts to have it euthanised
despite its disfigurement and its drooling all the time. It cannot
groom itself and is very dirty with bloodstained fur. vet advised at
the beginning that it need not be oput to sleep so long as it is able
to eat. However, I think what is meant by "eating" is not the same
thing as able to manage tiny amounts and slowly starving. Such a
difficult scenario when you know the owner. I wonder whether
perhaps they are just unable to face the decision to bring an end to
it. I wonder whether I should offer to go with them to the vet if
they feel the time is up. On the other hand, it is into potential
cruelty territory because as far as I can see an animals suffering
needs to be treated, even if the illness is terminal. No active
treatment is being provided and it seems to me that the animal has not
been examined for months. I hate to be complicit (not legally but
in terms of conscience) in this situation by failing to challenge
the owner. The owner may now feel that taking the animal to the vet
in what is so obviously a chillingly emaciated and disfigured
scraggy appearance might lead to some problems. I have no idea. The
animal does not appear to have stopped trying to eat and can walk.

Any advice would be appreciated

Matthew[_3_]
November 20th 08, 11:29 PM
did you ask the owner what they were doing and if they could afford to do so
"pussypower" > wrote in message
> What do cat owners out there make of this. A near neighbor has a cat
> with oral cancer and it cannot eat properly . It can eat but not
> efficiently. It takes ages to eat a small amount because its face
> is distorted by the cancer. Its mouth is permanently open and the
> tongue hanging out. It is about 1/3rd to 1/2 of its original weight.
> Is very bony and its eyes look odd. pupils large and at times it
> seems less visually competant than it used to be. The diagnosis was
> some months ago. The owner is making no efforts to have it euthanised
> despite its disfigurement and its drooling all the time. It cannot
> groom itself and is very dirty with bloodstained fur. vet advised at
> the beginning that it need not be oput to sleep so long as it is able
> to eat. However, I think what is meant by "eating" is not the same
> thing as able to manage tiny amounts and slowly starving. Such a
> difficult scenario when you know the owner. I wonder whether
> perhaps they are just unable to face the decision to bring an end to
> it. I wonder whether I should offer to go with them to the vet if
> they feel the time is up. On the other hand, it is into potential
> cruelty territory because as far as I can see an animals suffering
> needs to be treated, even if the illness is terminal. No active
> treatment is being provided and it seems to me that the animal has not
> been examined for months. I hate to be complicit (not legally but
> in terms of conscience) in this situation by failing to challenge
> the owner. The owner may now feel that taking the animal to the vet
> in what is so obviously a chillingly emaciated and disfigured
> scraggy appearance might lead to some problems. I have no idea. The
> animal does not appear to have stopped trying to eat and can walk.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated

herbie
November 20th 08, 11:46 PM
Hey maybe the owner is sick of taking him to all these jerkoff
incompetent, greedy, unprofessional "doctors" of veterinary medicine?
In itself an exercise in cruelty for both owners and pets.
Offer to help pay to have it euthanized if your so worried.

"Matthew" > wrote in
ng.com:

> did you ask the owner what they were doing and if they could afford to
> do so "pussypower" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
41g2000yqf.googlegroups.com..
> .
>> What do cat owners out there make of this. A near neighbor has a cat
>> with oral cancer and it cannot eat properly . It can eat but not
>> efficiently. It takes ages to eat a small amount because its face
>> is distorted by the cancer. Its mouth is permanently open and the
>> tongue hanging out. It is about 1/3rd to 1/2 of its original weight.
>> Is very bony and its eyes look odd. pupils large and at times it
>> seems less visually competant than it used to be. The diagnosis was
>> some months ago. The owner is making no efforts to have it
>> euthanised despite its disfigurement and its drooling all the time.
>> It cannot groom itself and is very dirty with bloodstained fur. vet
>> advised at the beginning that it need not be oput to sleep so long as
>> it is able to eat. However, I think what is meant by "eating" is
>> not the same thing as able to manage tiny amounts and slowly
>> starving. Such a difficult scenario when you know the owner. I
>> wonder whether perhaps they are just unable to face the decision to
>> bring an end to it. I wonder whether I should offer to go with them
>> to the vet if they feel the time is up. On the other hand, it is
>> into potential cruelty territory because as far as I can see an
>> animals suffering needs to be treated, even if the illness is
>> terminal. No active treatment is being provided and it seems to me
>> that the animal has not been examined for months. I hate to be
>> complicit (not legally but in terms of conscience) in this
>> situation by failing to challenge the owner. The owner may now feel
>> that taking the animal to the vet in what is so obviously a
>> chillingly emaciated and disfigured scraggy appearance might lead to
>> some problems. I have no idea. The animal does not appear to have
>> stopped trying to eat and can walk.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated

dejablues[_4_]
November 21st 08, 02:36 AM
"pussypower" > wrote in message
> What do cat owners out there make of this.

In all the time you spent typing that post, you could have picked up the cat
and taken it to be humanely euthanized.
What does this cat owner make of it? Your neighbor is a cruel heartless
jerk, you are a spineless do-nothing, and our opinions will do nothing to
help that cat..

Matthew[_3_]
November 21st 08, 04:42 AM
"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "pussypower" > wrote in message
>> What do cat owners out there make of this.
>
> In all the time you spent typing that post, you could have picked up the
> cat and taken it to be humanely euthanized.
> What does this cat owner make of it? Your neighbor is a cruel heartless
> jerk, you are a spineless do-nothing, and our opinions will do nothing to
> help that cat..

You forgot to add to have the humane society called upon to report the abuse
at least they will take the cat and take care of it correctly

cybercat
November 21st 08, 05:10 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...

> "dejablues" > wrote in message
>>
>> "pussypower" > wrote in message
>>> What do cat owners out there make of this.
>>
>> In all the time you spent typing that post, you could have picked up the
>> cat and taken it to be humanely euthanized.
>> What does this cat owner make of it? Your neighbor is a cruel heartless
>> jerk, you are a spineless do-nothing, and our opinions will do nothing to
>> help that cat..
>
> You forgot to add to have the humane society called upon to report the
> abuse at least they will take the cat and take care of it correctly

I'm thinking troll.

Matthew[_3_]
November 21st 08, 06:06 AM
he has posted here as DRAGON last year around this time
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> ng.com...

>>> In all the time you spent typing that post, you could have picked up the
>>> cat and taken it to be humanely euthanized.
>>> What does this cat owner make of it? Your neighbor is a cruel heartless
>>> jerk, you are a spineless do-nothing, and our opinions will do nothing
>>> to help that cat..
>>
>> You forgot to add to have the humane society called upon to report the
>> abuse at least they will take the cat and take care of it correctly
>>

> I'm thinking troll.

cybercat
November 21st 08, 05:06 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...
> he has posted here as DRAGON last year around this time

I seem to recall that nym with some unpleasant associations.

-L.
November 22nd 08, 02:28 AM
On Nov 20, 3:08 pm, pussypower > wrote:
> What do cat owners out there make of this. A near neighbor has a cat
> with oral cancer and it cannot eat properly . It can eat but not
> efficiently. It takes ages to eat a small amount because its face
> is distorted by the cancer. Its mouth is permanently open and the
> tongue hanging out. It is about 1/3rd to 1/2 of its original weight.
> Is very bony and its eyes look odd. pupils large and at times it
> seems less visually competant than it used to be. The diagnosis was
> some months ago. The owner is making no efforts to have it euthanised
> despite its disfigurement and its drooling all the time. It cannot
> groom itself and is very dirty with bloodstained fur. vet advised at
> the beginning that it need not be oput to sleep so long as it is able
> to eat. However, I think what is meant by "eating" is not the same
> thing as able to manage tiny amounts and slowly starving. Such a
> difficult scenario when you know the owner. I wonder whether
> perhaps they are just unable to face the decision to bring an end to
> it. I wonder whether I should offer to go with them to the vet if
> they feel the time is up. On the other hand, it is into potential
> cruelty territory because as far as I can see an animals suffering
> needs to be treated, even if the illness is terminal. No active
> treatment is being provided and it seems to me that the animal has not
> been examined for months. I hate to be complicit (not legally but
> in terms of conscience) in this situation by failing to challenge
> the owner. The owner may now feel that taking the animal to the vet
> in what is so obviously a chillingly emaciated and disfigured
> scraggy appearance might lead to some problems. I have no idea. The
> animal does not appear to have stopped trying to eat and can walk.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated

Take the cat in to be euthanized as long as it's not the same vet that
your neighbor uses. Tell them whatever you want - that it was a
stray, that it was dumped, whatever. It need not suffer.

-L.

MLB
November 22nd 08, 05:50 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>> he has posted here as DRAGON last year around this time
>
> I seem to recall that nym with some unpleasant associations.

Sounds just like a Troll to me. MLB

Spot[_2_]
November 22nd 08, 07:07 PM
I would discuss the suffering with the owner and tell them if it makes it
easier for them that you will take the cat to be put to sleep so it no
longer suffers and so they don't have to go through the experience.

If they refuse than I'd call animal control and let them deal with it. The
poor thing should have been put to sleep long ago and not left to suffer.

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBayŽ auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip