PDA

View Full Version : Increase in dumped pets accompanies mortgage crisis

MaryL
November 21st 08, 08:45 PM
CNN.com has a report today about the increase in the number of "dumped" pets
resulting from mortgage foreclosures. The lucky ones are taken to shelters,
but many have simply been abandoned. Even worse are the ones that are
abandoned but are not set free -- they are left cained up or locked inside
an empty house.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/21/pets.foreclosure/index.html

It's really sad to think of those taken to shelters. Those that are
abandoned go beyond sad -- I consider that action to be criminal.

MaryL

Candace
November 23rd 08, 04:24 PM
On Nov 21, 1:45*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> CNN.com has a report today about the increase in the number of "dumped" pets
> resulting from mortgage foreclosures. *The lucky ones are taken to shelters,
> but many have simply been abandoned. *Even worse are the ones that are
> abandoned but are not set free -- they are left cained up or locked inside
> an empty house.http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/21/pets.foreclosure/index.html
>
> It's really sad to think of those taken to shelters. *Those that are
> abandoned go beyond sad -- I consider that action to be criminal.
>
> MaryL

Me, too, especially since I am now feeding 9 outdoor cats regularly
with a couple more who drop by intermittently and 3 of them are
obviously fairly recent, formerly homed dumpees. The others are
ferals and their descendants who were abandoned a couple years back by
our neighborhood crazy cat lady who died. These escaped from her
house after the Humane Society was called in to remove them but didn't
fully succeed.

Additionally, the cat I brought in 2 months ago and another very tiny
kitten a month or so ago who we rehomed to a friend were obviously
dumpees, too. It makes me extremely mad--as well as very sad for
them--that this is now my problem. I can't afford all these cats
either and now I have to worry about the outdoor ones because
obviously bad things can happen to outdoor cats--and I've certainly
had it happen before.

And the odd thing is-everyone--including people on this ng (not you,
Mary) has lambasted me for not running out and getting them all
neutered. They all come up with the same old boring line, "There are
groups who will help." Well, bull****, I know every freaking group in
this town and have called them all and maybe they'll help by loaning
me some traps and giving me a reduced rate (not very reduced, let me
tell you) but that's not enough for me to tackle this problem alone.
None of my neighbors give a rat's ass (other than thinking of me as
the new CCL since crazy old Dottie, the real CCL, croaked). It's just
my problem. And, yes, anyone "new" here reading this: I have called
all the no-kill shelters (every single one is full and some are
ceasing operations because they have no more money either and are
trying to rehome their shelter cats) and I won't take them to the 2
kill shelters we have: the Arizona Humane Society (who charges $75 for
each turned-in animal) or Animal Control (who I hate and is run by the
infamousn Sheriff Joe).

The one we brought in and the one we gave to our friend have now been
removed from the streets but more have come to take their place and
I'm sorry, I'll feed 'em, maybe I'll get a couple neutered at some
point, and I'll look for homes for the tame ones (that no one will
give), but that is it, people!!!!!! The world's misfortunes are not
all mine. So far, I still have a job so I have to go to work, not sit
around trapping cats and transporting them to various low-cost vets
all over town. If I get fired, I'll have all the time in the world
but zero money so they may not even get fed anymore...certainly not
the 4 cans of wet food plus dry food we feed the outdoor cats daily.

There are days when I don't even feel like getting up because of this
problem. I hate to go out in the a.m. and see how many cats will be
there--I'm afraid either a new one will have shown up or one of my
regulars will be missing and I'll have to worry what happened and go
look for them. Since I've had 3 die since March--2 to disease or
injury and one from loose dogs, I know this is always a possibility.
So I guess it will stay my problem and increase. They'll get fed,
some will have icky deaths, and that's my life now.

So, thanks, Losers of the World, who dumped your innocent animals in
my neighborhood. Tough **** you lost your jobs and houses but you
still ought to rot in hell for dumping your pets (a couple of which
are thankfully already neutered so you did know the right thing to do
at some point in your miserable lives). I hope that the economy can
somehow turn around in the not-too-distant future and people can get
working again but I hope all of you who did this never get a break and
die impoverished, alone, and miserable...like you left your former
pets.

Thank you for the rant, have a lovely day.

Candace

James
November 25th 08, 12:00 AM
On Nov 23, 11:24*am, Candace > wrote:

> So, thanks, Losers of the World, who dumped your innocent animals in
> my neighborhood. *Tough **** you lost your jobs and houses but you
> still ought to rot in hell for dumping your pets (a couple of which
> are thankfully already neutered so you did know the right thing to do
> at some point in your miserable lives). *I hope that the economy can
> somehow turn around in the not-too-distant future and people can get
> working again but I hope all of you who did this never get a break and
> die impoverished, alone, and miserable...like you left your former
> pets.
>
> Thank you for the rant, have a lovely day.
>
> Candace

At least those dumping in your neighborhood are doing it because they
know at least the cats will be fed by you.

Candace
November 25th 08, 02:37 AM
On Nov 24, 5:00*pm, James > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 11:24*am, Candace > wrote:
>
> > So, thanks, Losers of the World, who dumped your innocent animals in
> > my neighborhood. *Tough **** you lost your jobs and houses but you
> > still ought to rot in hell for dumping your pets (a couple of which
> > are thankfully already neutered so you did know the right thing to do
> > at some point in your miserable lives). *I hope that the economy can
> > somehow turn around in the not-too-distant future and people can get
> > working again but I hope all of you who did this never get a break and
> > die impoverished, alone, and miserable...like you left your former
> > pets.
>
> > Thank you for the rant, have a lovely day.
>
> > Candace
>
> At least those dumping in your neighborhood are doing it because they
> know at least the cats will be fed by you.

I don't know, I try to feed them out of sight, just so no one gets
****ed off at me. I don't know how far away a cat could be dumped and
find its way to me on its own by smelling cat food or other cats. I
don't think it's quite gotten to the point where the word is out that
I feed cats. Hope not, anyway.

Candace