PDA

View Full Version : Feline Vocabulary

November 22nd 08, 07:06 AM
Three cats, one of which appears to have a vocabulary of at least
three words:

o Food
o Water
o Treats

I can tell by his call which of the three he wants. Is there any
accepted word on cat verbal communication? It seems odd to me that one
of the three would "speak" while the others do not.

Claude V. Lucas
November 22nd 08, 07:12 AM
In article >,
> wrote:
>Three cats, one of which appears to have a vocabulary of at least
>three words:
>
>o Food
>o Water
>o Treats
>
>I can tell by his call which of the three he wants. Is there any
>accepted word on cat verbal communication? It seems odd to me that one
>of the three would "speak" while the others do not.

Bubba the Maine Coon (RIP) was capable of vocalizing the English word "no"
quite clearly and generally used it in the appropriate context.

dejablues[_4_]
November 22nd 08, 08:26 AM
> wrote in message
> Three cats, one of which appears to have a vocabulary of at least
> three words:
>
> o Food
> o Water
> o Treats
>
> I can tell by his call which of the three he wants. Is there any
> accepted word on cat verbal communication? It seems odd to me that one
> of the three would "speak" while the others do not.

Your post did not make much sense. Cats are as individual as people, and
have a widely varied, more than three, anyway, vocal repertoire . Perhaps
the vocal cat is the dominant one , or you aren't paying close attention to
your cats.
Vocalization is just one part of cat communication. Body language is more
universal and telling.

S.Smith
November 22nd 08, 05:05 PM
"zob" <[email protected] cox.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:06:55 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>Three cats, one of which appears to have a vocabulary of at least
>>three words:
>>
>>o Food
>>o Water
>>o Treats
>>
>>I can tell by his call which of the three he wants. Is there any
>>accepted word on cat verbal communication? It seems odd to me that one
>>of the three would "speak" while the others do not.
>
> My Yoda doesn't need a vocabulary; he's psychic. When he wants food,
> water, treats or to be held he just sits and stares at me, commanding
> me to get him what he wants. If you don't believe me, check him out:
>
> http://members.cox.net/zob/bionicalyoda.jpg

Cute, very cute. My cat will just sit and stare at the food area when she
wants more.
Paloma's Mom

MLB
November 22nd 08, 06:46 PM
zob wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:06:55 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> Three cats, one of which appears to have a vocabulary of at least
>> three words:
>>
>> o Food
>> o Water
>> o Treats
>>
>> I can tell by his call which of the three he wants. Is there any
>> accepted word on cat verbal communication? It seems odd to me that one
>> of the three would "speak" while the others do not.
>
> My Yoda doesn't need a vocabulary; he's psychic. When he wants food,
> water, treats or to be held he just sits and stares at me, commanding
> me to get him what he wants. If you don't believe me, check him out:
>
> http://members.cox.net/zob/bionicalyoda.jpg
> :-)

With eyes like that, there is no escape. My TuTu does the stare thing
too. I tell her to keep out of my mind, but her will is stronger than
mine. Best wishes. MLB

November 23rd 08, 09:31 AM
On Nov 22, 12:46*pm, MLB > wrote:
> zob wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:06:55 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:
>
> >> Three cats, one of which appears to have a vocabulary of at least
> >> three words:
>
> >> o Food
> >> o Water
> >> o Treats
>
> >> I can tell by his call which of the three he wants. Is there any
> >> accepted word on cat verbal communication? It seems odd to me that one
> >> of the three would "speak" while the others do not.
>
> > My Yoda doesn't need a vocabulary; he's psychic. *When he wants food,
> > water, treats or to be held he just sits and stares at me, commanding
> > me to get him what he wants. *If you don't believe me, check him out:
>
> >http://members.cox.net/zob/bionicalyoda.jpg
>
> With eyes like that, there is no escape. *My TuTu does the stare thing
> too. *I tell her to keep out of my mind, but her will is stronger than
> mine. *Best wishes. * MLB- Hide quoted text -

So cute and they do communicate with you. However, your cats are not
'speaking to you' in anything resembling English, LOL!!