PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on litter?

Janet
November 23rd 08, 02:29 AM
I was using Fresh Step, and found that there was little or no odor and it
was easy to clean. Tried a corn-based one, but didn't like the smell. Went
back to Fresh Step. Tried Arm & Hammer, but there was distinct Eau de Cat
Box in the house and I found it very hard to scoop: it tended to form a wet,
gooey mass that stuck to the sides and bottom of the box and was hard to get
off.

I just laboriously scraped all of that stuff off of the box, scrubbed it
out, and refilled with Fresh Step.

I'd love to find something cheaper that worked as well, but after the Arm&
Hammer fiasco I'm reluctant to experiment! I almost bought a bag of Fresh
Step Crystals yesterday, but the thought of the cat pee-imbued crystals
staying in the box for weeks was not appealing when compared to scooping and
removing the clumps.

Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?

Claude V. Lucas
November 23rd 08, 02:39 AM
In article >,
Janet > wrote:
>I was using Fresh Step, and found that there was little or no odor and it
>was easy to clean. Tried a corn-based one, but didn't like the smell. Went
>back to Fresh Step. Tried Arm & Hammer, but there was distinct Eau de Cat
>Box in the house and I found it very hard to scoop: it tended to form a wet,
>gooey mass that stuck to the sides and bottom of the box and was hard to get
>off.
>
>I just laboriously scraped all of that stuff off of the box, scrubbed it
>out, and refilled with Fresh Step.
>
>I'd love to find something cheaper that worked as well, but after the Arm&
>Hammer fiasco I'm reluctant to experiment! I almost bought a bag of Fresh
>Step Crystals yesterday, but the thought of the cat pee-imbued crystals
>staying in the box for weeks was not appealing when compared to scooping and
>removing the clumps.
>
>Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?

I've been using the house brand from Petsmart. Exquisicat Clump unscented.
It clumps well, doesn't stick to the box, absorbs the cat smell and
can be had on sale for ~$10-$12 for a large tub... 28Lbs. Lasts a
couple of months with one cat.

The cat seems to like it, I just scoop the clumps into the trash
when it needs it. The only way things could be simpler would be
if the clumps were somehow self-vanishing.

Chris[_4_]
November 23rd 08, 04:40 AM
We use Scoop Away. We can find it in our local "dollar" store, it is a big
box for $5.00. Sometimes we will cut it with another brand on sale that
week, like Tidy Cat. We are pretty happy using this, clumps very well,
odors are concealed and we have six cats (use 3 boxes on two floors of the
home).

Yah, Arm and Hammer is a nightmare, they should stop making the gooey junk.

Richard Evans
November 23rd 08, 06:25 AM
"Janet" > wrote:

>Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?

Where do you buy your Fresh Step?

I get Fresh Step at BJ's for something like $14 for a 40# bucket. I'd
guess Sam's, Costco, or similar discount stores would be similar.

news[_2_]
November 23rd 08, 06:49 AM
"Janet" > wrote in message
>I was using Fresh Step, and found that there was little or no odor and it
>was easy to clean. Tried a corn-based one, but didn't like the smell. Went
>back to Fresh Step. Tried Arm & Hammer, but there was distinct Eau de Cat
>Box in the house and I found it very hard to scoop: it tended to form a
>wet, gooey mass that stuck to the sides and bottom of the box and was hard
>to get off.
>
> I just laboriously scraped all of that stuff off of the box, scrubbed it
> out, and refilled with Fresh Step.
>
> I'd love to find something cheaper that worked as well, but after the Arm&
> Hammer fiasco I'm reluctant to experiment! I almost bought a bag of Fresh
> Step Crystals yesterday, but the thought of the cat pee-imbued crystals
> staying in the box for weeks was not appealing when compared to scooping
> and removing the clumps.
>
> Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?

Feline Pine is far and away the best cat litter ever. It works well for
controlling odor, smells nice, the cats dig it (haha) and it's easy to
scoop. I'm not sure how it compares to other litters in cost, but it's not
expensive. Giant sells a house brand of pine pellet litter and I buy it
sometimes, it does not control odor as well but it's still better than
anything else.

November 23rd 08, 08:35 AM
On Nov 23, 1:49*am, "news" > wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message

> >I was using Fresh Step, and found that there was little or no odor and it
> >was easy to clean. Tried a corn-based one, but didn't like the smell. Went
> >back to Fresh Step. Tried Arm & Hammer, but there was distinct Eau de Cat
> >Box in the house and I found it very hard to scoop: it tended to form a
> >wet, gooey mass that stuck to the sides and bottom of the box and was hard
> >to get off.
>
> > I just laboriously scraped all of that stuff off of the box, scrubbed it
> > out, and refilled with Fresh Step.
>
> > I'd love to find something cheaper that worked as well, but after the Arm&
> > Hammer fiasco I'm reluctant to experiment! I almost bought a bag of Fresh
> > Step Crystals yesterday, but the thought of the cat pee-imbued crystals
> > staying in the box for weeks was not appealing when compared to scooping
> > and removing the clumps.
>
> > Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?
>
> Feline Pine is far and away the best cat litter ever. It works well for
> controlling odor, smells nice, the cats dig it *(haha) and it's easy to
> scoop. I'm not sure how it compares to other litters in cost, but it's not
> expensive. Giant sells a house brand of pine pellet litter and I buy it
> sometimes, it does not control odor as well but it's still better than
> anything else.- Hide quoted text -

Is it safe to say that the big bags of litter are NEVER clumping? Why
is that? The Fresh Step and Scoop Away at BJ's are the best value,
but the big bag is always there at a MUCH better price. Why can't
they put scoopable (clumping) litter in the bag, so you aren't paying
for the package?

Also, has anybody used BJ's 'house brand' Berkley & Jensen? I think
they have a scoopable (clumping) litter, IIRC. Anybody?

Richard Evans
November 23rd 08, 05:34 PM
wrote:

>Also, has anybody used BJ's 'house brand' Berkley & Jensen? I think
>they have a scoopable (clumping) litter, IIRC. Anybody?

I've used Fresh Step, Scoop Away, and BJ's house brand. SA and BJ's
are slightly cheaper, but SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) says the FS
throws up less dust when she pours it into the litter boxes, so that's
what I buy.

cybercat
November 23rd 08, 07:22 PM
"Richard Evans" > wrote in message

>>Also, has anybody used BJ's 'house brand' Berkley & Jensen? I think
>>they have a scoopable (clumping) litter, IIRC. Anybody?
>
> I've used Fresh Step, Scoop Away, and BJ's house brand. SA and BJ's
> are slightly cheaper, but SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) says the FS
> throws up less dust when she pours it into the litter boxes, so that's
> what I buy.

Target brand is cheaper and even less dusty. Great stuff. $4 for 14 lbs.

Richard Evans
November 23rd 08, 08:35 PM
"cybercat" > wrote:

>"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Also, has anybody used BJ's 'house brand' Berkley & Jensen? I think
>>>they have a scoopable (clumping) litter, IIRC. Anybody?
>>
>> I've used Fresh Step, Scoop Away, and BJ's house brand. SA and BJ's
>> are slightly cheaper, but SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) says the FS
>> throws up less dust when she pours it into the litter boxes, so that's
>> what I buy.
>
>Target brand is cheaper and even less dusty. Great stuff. $4 for 14 lbs.

Four pounds for $14 is $3.50 per pound. Forty pounds for $14 (BJ's
price) is $2.85.

cybercat
November 23rd 08, 08:47 PM
"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote:

>>> I've used Fresh Step, Scoop Away, and BJ's house brand. SA and BJ's
>>> are slightly cheaper, but SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) says the FS
>>> throws up less dust when she pours it into the litter boxes, so that's
>>> what I buy.
>>
>>Target brand is cheaper and even less dusty. Great stuff. $4 for 14 lbs.
>
> Four pounds for $14 is $3.50 per pound. Forty pounds for $14 (BJ's
> price) is $2.85.

You mixed that up, Richard. :) It's 14 POUNDS for $4. That's, uh, maybe 35
cents a pound for the Target litter vs $2.85 a pound for BJ's.

The other thing is, Target litter is less scented, which we like due to
kitty and people perfume allergies.

Richard Evans
November 23rd 08, 09:05 PM
"cybercat" > wrote:

>"Richard Evans" > wrote in message

>>>Target brand is cheaper and even less dusty. Great stuff. $4 for 14 lbs.
>>
>> Four pounds for $14 is $3.50 per pound. Forty pounds for $14 (BJ's
>> price) is $2.85.
>>>

>You mixed that up, Richard. :) It's 14 POUNDS for $4. That's, uh, maybe 35
>cents a pound for the Target litter vs $2.85 a pound for BJ's.

Yes, I misstated the problem, (I didn't get much sleep last night.)
but the answer is still right. Check your math. What's 14 divided by
4? You're off by a decimal point. Or were you making a joke on my
misstatement?

Janet
November 23rd 08, 09:28 PM
Richard Evans wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote:
>

>> Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?
>
> Where do you buy your Fresh Step?
>
> I get Fresh Step at BJ's for something like $14 for a 40# bucket. I'd
> guess Sam's, Costco, or similar discount stores would be similar.

It costs a lot more than that at my BJ's. More like $13 for a 21# bucket.
They do have big bags that are significantly cheaper, I noticed today.

Janet
November 23rd 08, 09:35 PM
Richard Evans wrote:

> Yes, I misstated the problem, (I didn't get much sleep last night.)
> but the answer is still right. Check your math. What's 14 divided by
> 4? You're off by a decimal point. Or were you making a joke on my
> misstatement?

I feel as if I've wandered into an alternate math universe here. If Cybercat
buys 14lbs of cat litter at Target for $4, she is paying about 29 cents a
pound for it (I rounded up). So her 35 cent estimate was not far off, and
certainly not off by a decimal point!

All I want to know, Cybercat, is this: is this clumping litter, and does it
clump effectively like Fresh Step does?

Richard Evans
November 23rd 08, 10:18 PM
"Janet" > wrote:

>Richard Evans wrote:
>
>> Yes, I misstated the problem, (I didn't get much sleep last night.)
>> but the answer is still right. Check your math. What's 14 divided by
>> 4? You're off by a decimal point. Or were you making a joke on my
>> misstatement?
>
>I feel as if I've wandered into an alternate math universe here. If Cybercat
>buys 14lbs of cat litter at Target for $4, she is paying about 29 cents a
>pound for it (I rounded up). So her 35 cent estimate was not far off, and
>certainly not off by a decimal point!

You're right. I said I was sleep deprived.

cybercat
November 23rd 08, 11:09 PM
"Janet" > wrote :>
> All I want to know, Cybercat, is this: is this clumping litter, and does
> it clump effectively like Fresh Step does?

It is clumping litter! No, it does not clump as hard as Fresh Step, but it
still does the job. What I love the best is this: my little asthmatic and
allergic (ESG complex) tabby has not had an asthma attack in two years, and
no longer gets lesions from the EGC. It has to be the perfume in the other,
more heavily scented litters that gets her, that is the only thing I have
changed.

I use a deep box and put in 28 lbs at a time. It lasts forever because her
waste never reaches the bottom of the box. She and Boo have separate boxes.
I scoop once or twice a day, and that $8 worth of litter lasts about a
month.

cybercat
November 23rd 08, 11:10 PM
"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
> "Janet" > wrote:
>
>>Richard Evans wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I misstated the problem, (I didn't get much sleep last night.)
>>> but the answer is still right. Check your math. What's 14 divided by
>>> 4? You're off by a decimal point. Or were you making a joke on my
>>> misstatement?
>>
>>I feel as if I've wandered into an alternate math universe here. If
>>Cybercat
>>buys 14lbs of cat litter at Target for $4, she is paying about 29 cents a
>>pound for it (I rounded up). So her 35 cent estimate was not far off, and
>>certainly not off by a decimal point!
>
> You're right. I said I was sleep deprived.

No worries, Richard. I almost apologized for my "error" I am usually so
dense about math. This may be the first time I've been right about anything
involving numbers.

If you like Fresh Step or Tidy Cat you probably should get it. I like the
Target stuff because it has nearly zero dust, little scent, is cheap, and
still works. Can't beat it for me.

Rene S.
November 24th 08, 02:07 PM

> Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?

I've tried a LOT of litters, from the cheaper brands to the more
"specialty" kinds (World's Best, Feline Pine). My favorite is
Everclean unscented. It clumps nicely, low dust, controls odor, and is
not scented. It's not the cheapest litter out there but a) the cats
like it and b) it works!

rich
November 24th 08, 11:41 PM
Equine Fresh can be bought at many rural feed type stores as horse bedding. Don't tell anyone, but it's Feline Pine at 1/3 the cost.

Rene S. wrote:
>> Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?
>
> I've tried a LOT of litters, from the cheaper brands to the more
> "specialty" kinds (World's Best, Feline Pine). My favorite is
> Everclean unscented. It clumps nicely, low dust, controls odor, and is
> not scented. It's not the cheapest litter out there but a) the cats
> like it and b) it works!

Stan Brown
December 8th 08, 12:44 PM
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:22:18 -0500 from cybercat >:

> "Richard Evans" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Also, has anybody used BJ's 'house brand' Berkley & Jensen? I think
> >>they have a scoopable (clumping) litter, IIRC. Anybody?
> >
> > I've used Fresh Step, Scoop Away, and BJ's house brand. SA and BJ's
> > are slightly cheaper, but SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) says the FS
> > throws up less dust when she pours it into the litter boxes, so that's
> > what I buy.
>
> Target brand is cheaper and even less dusty. Great stuff. $4 for 14 lbs.

The only Target brand I know is Archer Farms for foods; I didn't know
they had one for litter. Does it actually say "Target" on it, or do
they use some brand name?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

cshenk
December 8th 08, 04:06 PM
"Stan Brown" wrote

>> Target brand is cheaper and even less dusty. Great stuff. $4 for 14 lbs.
>
> The only Target brand I know is Archer Farms for foods; I didn't know
> they had one for litter. Does it actually say "Target" on it, or do
> they use some brand name?

Hi Stan. Target is a store. Probably arent any where you are so you didnt
recognize it. Kinda like a Kmart sort of place. Decent prices for lots of
things, as well as lots of junk ;-)

Stan Brown
December 9th 08, 02:26 AM
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:06:04 -0500 from cshenk >:
> "Stan Brown" wrote
>
> >> Target brand is cheaper and even less dusty. Great stuff. $4 for 14 lbs.

I didn't write that, actually; cybercat did.

> > The only Target brand I know is Archer Farms for foods; I didn't know
> > they had one for litter. Does it actually say "Target" on it, or do
> > they use some brand name?
>
> Hi Stan. Target is a store. Probably arent any where you are so you didnt
> recognize it. Kinda like a Kmart sort of place. Decent prices for lots of
> things, as well as lots of junk ;-)

I know Target is a store chain -- how else would I know that Archer
Farms is its house brand for food?

My question was, what is the name of the Target house brand for
litter that cybercat was recommending?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

tigerman
December 11th 08, 07:16 AM
On Nov 23, 3:29*am, "Janet" > wrote:
> I was using Fresh Step, and found that there was little or no odor and it
> was easy to clean. Tried a corn-based one, but didn't like the smell. Went
> back to Fresh Step. Tried Arm & Hammer, but there was distinct Eau de Cat
> Box in the house and I found it very hard to scoop: it tended to form a wet,
> gooey mass that stuck to the sides and bottom of the box and was hard to get
> off.
>
> I just laboriously scraped all of that stuff off of the box, scrubbed it
> out, and refilled with Fresh Step.
>
> I'd love to find something cheaper that worked as well, but after the Arm&
> Hammer fiasco I'm reluctant to experiment! I almost bought a bag of Fresh
> Step Crystals yesterday, but the thought of the cat pee-imbued crystals
> staying in the box for weeks was not appealing when compared to scooping and
> removing the clumps.
>
> Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?

I use sawdust. It is cheap the only drawback is it tends to get
flicked everywhere.

tigerman
http://www.zazzle.com/biglnet/cats
http://www.justbyjulie.com

John Doe
August 13th 09, 10:10 PM
"Janet" > wrote:

> Anyone know of a bargain litter that really works well?

Do not know about bargain (apparently some of it is cheap), but I
plan to use hypoallergenic litter from now on. Currently, I see
that there are two or three major brands of hypoallergenic cat
litter. You might have to scoop more often since it does not have
perfumes (or dyes) but it is less likely to cause allergic
reactions since your cats sniff and scratch around a lot in
litter. Someone who has a cat that licks itself too much might
consider trying it.