PDA

View Full Version : What's the cheapest dry food you're willing to use?

James
December 5th 08, 05:03 PM
If it's between rehoming or feeding your pussy really cheap food, what
is the cheapest before you give away your cat?

Matthew[_3_]
December 5th 08, 06:01 PM
"James" > wrote in message
> If it's between rehoming or feeding your pussy really cheap food, what
> is the cheapest before you give away your cat?

James some of us would get a second or third job before that or sell the
supposed better half stuff first than rehome a cat

The cheapest I would go would be meow mix $1 a bag at the dollar tree that
would be desperation

Spot[_2_]
December 6th 08, 04:56 AM
I have given up one or more of my indulgences before giving any of my pets
cheap food.

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBayŽ auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip

"James" > wrote in message
> If it's between rehoming or feeding your pussy really cheap food, what
> is the cheapest before you give away your cat?

jmc
December 6th 08, 03:05 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Matthew exclaimed (12/5/2008 1:01 PM):
> "James" > wrote in message
>> If it's between rehoming or feeding your pussy really cheap food, what
>> is the cheapest before you give away your cat?
>
> James some of us would get a second or third job before that or sell the
> supposed better half stuff first than rehome a cat
>
> The cheapest I would go would be meow mix $1 a bag at the dollar tree that
> would be desperation

I think the idea here would be that all those options have been explored
- and getting second or third jobs is increasingly hard in this economy.

More to the point though, what *would* we be willing to give up to
protect our pets' wellbeing?

I'd -
of course, spend less money on fripperies
I don't have a life so there's no cutting back on social events, movies,
and suchlike 'cause we don't do 'em.
Talk my boss into a 10 hour a day, 4 day a week sched to save gas $
cancel cable tv
Sell even more of my junk than I already have, including the TV but NOT
the computer
Try harder to find a carpool to my job.
I'd ride my bike to work if weren't so far away.
Cut my own grocery bill - I don't need snacks anyway <g>
Can't cancel the landline, we already don't have one. We're also
already on pay-as-you-go cell plans.
Go to the library more; buy books less.
Lower the temp on the thermostat (and wear sweaters)
Go even greener, since green does usually save $$.

and

I'd move to a less expensive apartment. I'd try to find one close
enough to work to ride my bike, but because of location, I think that's
impossible - it's cheaper further out, more expensive closer in.

but

Sorry, but the computer stays. It's how I communicate with the outside
world, how I learn; it's part of my hobbies, and my job. I would,
however, go to a cheaper internet plan. If it truly became a choice
between the computer or the cat, yes, it would be the computer that
went. By that time though, we'd be in an empty house, with just us, the
cat, a couple of chairs, some Ramen noodles, and my computer :)

Meep is on expensive food for her health, so I'd never be able to go to
the cheap brands; in a pinch I might split the difference and feed
something like Fancy Feast in between the cans of Wellness, but I'd not
endanger her health just to save a few bucks.

The problem with rehoming is that people are already dumping their pets
in huge numbers - shelters are full of pets that have been dropped off
because their owners aren't willing to pay for them any more.

jmc

---MIKE---
December 6th 08, 07:09 PM
jmc wrote:

>I might split the difference and feed
> something like Fancy Feast in between
> the cans of Wellness,

I think you would find that Fancy Feast costs about the same as
Wellness. I have been feeding one can of Wellness twice a day to Tiger
and Amber. With the increasing cost of Wellness, I might start using it
once a day and feeding Whiskas or Friskies for the other meal (if they
will eat it).

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

jmc
December 7th 08, 03:04 AM
Suddenly, without warning, ---MIKE--- exclaimed (12/6/2008 2:09 PM):
> jmc wrote:
>
>> I might split the difference and feed
>> something like Fancy Feast in between
>> the cans of Wellness,
>
> I think you would find that Fancy Feast costs about the same as
> Wellness. I have been feeding one can of Wellness twice a day to Tiger
> and Amber. With the increasing cost of Wellness, I might start using it
> once a day and feeding Whiskas or Friskies for the other meal (if they
> will eat it).
>

> ---MIKE---
>>> In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Not here. Wellness is much more expensive than Fancy Feast. Especially
since the price went up. It's getting hard to keep my cat in the way to
which she is accustomed :)

Meep won't touch Friskies or Whiskas. And she has to eat wet, so that
limits any cost-cutting options I may have considered. Wet food is less
expensive than vet visits!

jmc

Janet
December 7th 08, 03:35 AM
jmc wrote:
> Not here. Wellness is much more expensive than Fancy Feast. Especially
> since the price went up. It's getting hard to keep my cat
> in the way to which she is accustomed :)
>
> Meep won't touch Friskies or Whiskas. And she has to eat wet, so that
> limits any cost-cutting options I may have considered. Wet food is
> less expensive than vet visits!
>
> jmc

My cat hated the "good" canned food I originally bought for her (Wellness,
etc). She mostly refused to touch it. She likes Fancy Feast, the BJ's
version of Fancy Feast, and so forth. She likes the varieties with gravy
better than the pates, although she tends to leave part of the non-gravy
component behind unless it is beef, which she prefers to chicken and turkey.

On the other hand, last fall when I got her and was feeding her primarily
high-quality kibble, she was The Hairball Queen. Constantly throwing them
up. Despite my feeding her "anti-hairball food" and "anti-hairball treats."
So if she wants to eat the less-than-pure canned food, that's okay by me.

Spot[_2_]
December 7th 08, 03:44 AM
I said I did without one of my indulgences NOT WITHOUT something I need like
food for myself. There is a big difference between the two.

Celeste

--

"zob" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 04:56:50 GMT, "Spot" > wrote:
>
>>I have given up one or more of my indulgences before giving any of my pets
>>cheap food.
>>
>>Celeste
>
> Sorry, but as much as I love my cats, it's a sign of sociopathic or
> mental illness when someone places the needs of animals above the
> needs of humans.
>
> Not only that, but it's foolish to assume that because a cat food is
> expensive that it's good for your pet, or because it's inexpensive
> it's bad for him.

cybercat
December 7th 08, 06:06 AM
"Spot" > wrote in message
>I said I did without one of my indulgences NOT WITHOUT something I need
>like food for myself. There is a big difference between the two.
>
> Celeste

Zob's an ass.

Outsider
December 7th 08, 08:53 PM
(---MIKE---) wrote in news:13135-493ACDF9-1165
@storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net:

> jmc wrote:
>
>>I might split the difference and feed
>> something like Fancy Feast in between
>> the cans of Wellness,
>
> I think you would find that Fancy Feast costs about the same as
> Wellness. I have been feeding one can of Wellness twice a day to Tiger
> and Amber. With the increasing cost of Wellness, I might start using it
> once a day and feeding Whiskas or Friskies for the other meal (if they
> will eat it).
>

> ---MIKE---
>>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I buy the 12.5 oz cans which are cheaper to buy. One feeds the two boys
for a day. I still give them friskies some days. I mix water with
everything. The friskies gives me a break from "Wellness breath". It
smells worse on their breath than in the can, wheew!

Andy

rich
December 14th 08, 08:48 PM
James wrote:
> If it's between rehoming or feeding your pussy really cheap food, what
> is the cheapest before you give away your cat?

Purina Complete or Indoor.