PDA

View Full Version : How to keep cats safe with fireplace??

steve84
December 6th 08, 05:32 PM
I have two 1 1/2 year old cats that get in to everything. We have a
fireplace that we have been scared to use since we got them. Does
anybody know of a safe way to use the fireplace without worrying about
the cats getting hurt? The fireplace now has glass doors to keep it
closed when it is not in use but no heat gets out if we use those when
the flame is lit

Thanks for a any help

Steve

John Ross Mc Master
December 6th 08, 06:17 PM
On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 11:32:27 -0500, steve84 > wrote:

>I have two 1 1/2 year old cats that get in to everything. We have a
>fireplace that we have been scared to use since we got them. Does
>anybody know of a safe way to use the fireplace without worrying about
>the cats getting hurt? The fireplace now has glass doors to keep it
>closed when it is not in use but no heat gets out if we use those when
>the flame is lit
>
>Thanks for a any help
>
>Steve

Buy a screen or pick one up at a garage sale.

MaryL
December 6th 08, 08:51 PM
"steve84" > wrote in message

> I have two 1 1/2 year old cats that get in to everything. We have a
> fireplace that we have been scared to use since we got them. Does anybody
> know of a safe way to use the fireplace without worrying about the cats
> getting hurt? The fireplace now has glass doors to keep it closed when it
> is not in use but no heat gets out if we use those when the flame is lit
>
> Thanks for a any help
>
> Steve

I put Holly and Duffy in another room whenever I light the fireplace.

MaryL

honeybunch
December 6th 08, 10:25 PM
On Dec 6, 11:32*am, steve84 > wrote:
> I have two 1 1/2 year old cats that get in to everything. *We have a
> fireplace that we have been scared to use since we got them. *Does
> anybody know of a safe way to use the fireplace without worrying about
> the cats getting hurt? *The fireplace now has glass doors to keep it
> closed when it is not in use but no heat gets out if we use those when
> the flame is lit
>
> Thanks for a any help
>
> Steve

Cats are not insane. They will not jump into the flames. BUT the
real problem is the next day. They will investigate the ashes and
make ashy foot prints all over your white rugs. They might even take
a wizz on the ashes. So shut those fireplace doors up tight when your
finished.

cybercat
December 6th 08, 11:57 PM
. ..

> "steve84" > wrote in message
>>

>> I have two 1 1/2 year old cats that get in to everything. We have a
>> fireplace that we have been scared to use since we got them. Does
>> anybody know of a safe way to use the fireplace without worrying about
>> the cats getting hurt? The fireplace now has glass doors to keep it
>> closed when it is not in use but no heat gets out if we use those when
>> the flame is lit
>>
>> Thanks for a any help
>>
>> Steve
>
> I put Holly and Duffy in another room whenever I light the fireplace.

Smart. We never leave a fire unattended, and the cats just lie on the floor
a respectable distance (like 7 feet) away.

MaryL
December 7th 08, 12:35 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "steve84" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> I have two 1 1/2 year old cats that get in to everything. We have a
>>> fireplace that we have been scared to use since we got them. Does
>>> anybody know of a safe way to use the fireplace without worrying about
>>> the cats getting hurt? The fireplace now has glass doors to keep it
>>> closed when it is not in use but no heat gets out if we use those when
>>> the flame is lit
>>>
>>> Thanks for a any help
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> I put Holly and Duffy in another room whenever I light the fireplace.
>>

> Smart. We never leave a fire unattended, and the cats just lie on the
> floor a respectable distance (like 7 feet) away.

I doubt if either cat would get too close to the flames, but I just feel
safer this way. For one thing, it avoids any possibility of getting singed
if they were to roll or flick their tails too close. I'm a bit paranoid
about their safety, so I take all the precautions I can.

MaryL

jmc
December 7th 08, 04:09 AM
Suddenly, without warning, steve84 exclaimed (12/6/2008 11:32 AM):

> I have two 1 1/2 year old cats that get in to everything. We have a
> fireplace that we have been scared to use since we got them. Does
> anybody know of a safe way to use the fireplace without worrying about
> the cats getting hurt? The fireplace now has glass doors to keep it
> closed when it is not in use but no heat gets out if we use those when
> the flame is lit
>
> Thanks for a any help
>
> Steve

Get a good, solid screen, and don't leave the fire unattended when the
cats are around. Once the fire's cold, make sure they can't get at the
ashes, since ashes are tough to get out of carpet The absolutely
brilliant [that was sarcasm] previous owner of the townhouse we rent
installed WHITE carpet in the room that has the fireplace. GAAAAAAH!

jmc

barb
December 7th 08, 08:19 PM
Ha, ha! White carpet with a fire place, brilliant? Well, I too have a
fireplace, off white carpets and 2 cats, but they are cats, not dopes. They
will no more walk into a fire than we will. A screen works fine and at
night we close the glass doors in front of the fire place. The fire place
is never used unless someone is around to watch it.

Barb

Outsider
December 7th 08, 09:59 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in

loor a respectable distance (like 7 feet) away.

> I doubt if either cat would get too close to the flames, but I just
> feel safer this way. For one thing, it avoids any possibility of
> getting singed if they were to roll or flick their tails too close.
> I'm a bit paranoid about their safety, so I take all the precautions I
> can.
>
> MaryL

Many many years ago all white T.C. would lay in front of my kerosene heater
for hours. She would lay only a few feet away. Her fur was so hot I
worried she would spontaneously combust. I would not touch her for fear
that pressing her fur against her skin would burn her. Having said all
that she totally loved it and it would have been difficult to prevent it.
Of course kerosene heaters don't have sparks but they do run for 14 hours
at a fill. This was almost 30 years ago but I still miss that cat.

Andy

Richard Evans
December 7th 08, 10:08 PM
outsider > wrote:

>"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in
>
>loor a respectable distance (like 7 feet) away.
>>>

>> I doubt if either cat would get too close to the flames, but I just
>> feel safer this way. For one thing, it avoids any possibility of
>> getting singed if they were to roll or flick their tails too close.
>> I'm a bit paranoid about their safety, so I take all the precautions I
>> can.
>>
>> MaryL
>

>Many many years ago all white T.C. would lay in front of my kerosene heater
>for hours. She would lay only a few feet away. Her fur was so hot I
>worried she would spontaneously combust.

According to a documentary I once saw, cats have remarkable tolerance
for heat. Video showed one snoozing comfortably next to a blacksmith's
forge at a distance that would have toasted you or me.

dgk
December 8th 08, 02:20 PM
On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:25:52 -0800 (PST), honeybunch
> wrote:

>On Dec 6, 11:32*am, steve84 > wrote:
>> I have two 1 1/2 year old cats that get in to everything. *We have a
>> fireplace that we have been scared to use since we got them. *Does
>> anybody know of a safe way to use the fireplace without worrying about
>> the cats getting hurt? *The fireplace now has glass doors to keep it
>> closed when it is not in use but no heat gets out if we use those when
>> the flame is lit
>>
>> Thanks for a any help
>>
>> Steve
>
>Cats are not insane. They will not jump into the flames. BUT the
>real problem is the next day. They will investigate the ashes and
>make ashy foot prints all over your white rugs. They might even take
>a wizz on the ashes. So shut those fireplace doors up tight when your
>finished.

I have a good fireplace story. My brother had to leave his cat with
our parents for a few weeks and after a few days my mother was
worrying because the cat was not pooping in the litterbox. So she
takes the cat to the vet, and the vet feels the cat and tells her that
the cat is certainly pooping somewhere.

It wasn't until the cat was observed entering the fireplace that the
exact location was determined. They swept out the ashes after that and
the cat used the litterbox.

They are just so weird.

cwcatartist
December 10th 08, 08:12 PM
> I have two 1 1/2 year old cats that get in to everything. *We have a
> fireplace that we have been scared to use since we got them. *Does
> anybody know of a safe way to use the fireplace without worrying about
> the cats getting hurt? *The fireplace now has glass doors to keep it
> closed when it is not in use but no heat gets out if we use those when
> the flame is lit

Very heavy duty screening attached to heavy rod iron stakes
surrounding the fireplace will keep the cats out and provide heat. The
cats love the warmth in winter time and will probably lay in front of
the screen all night.

Carol Wilson, Cat Artist
http://www.cafepress.com/carolwilsoncats
http://CarolWilsonCatArt.imagekind.com

steve84
December 18th 08, 06:42 AM
Thank you everybody for your help and advice