PDA

View Full Version : Whistling for the Cat......

LMarks
November 6th 04, 08:42 PM
Chessie hates any kind of whistling - always has. So I whistle softly to
get her to come to me...we have an unspoken agreement that I stop the
instant she jumps up to me :)
Nikki is oblivious to whistling, calling, singing, shouting........she
marches to her own drummer!!

Kreisleriana
November 7th 04, 01:05 AM
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:42:50 -0500, "LMarks"
> yodeled:

>Chessie hates any kind of whistling - always has. So I whistle softly to
>get her to come to me...we have an unspoken agreement that I stop the
>instant she jumps up to me :)
>Nikki is oblivious to whistling, calling, singing, shouting........she
>marches to her own drummer!!

Stinky responds to whistling, too. He immediately gets up, walks
around, meows, and comes up to me and head-butts-- but I can't tell
if he's doing it because the sound attracts him, or because he's
coming to me to say "Mo-oooo-ooooom, cut it out!"

Theresa

Kreisleriana
November 7th 04, 01:05 AM
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:42:50 -0500, "LMarks"
> yodeled:

>Chessie hates any kind of whistling - always has. So I whistle softly to
>get her to come to me...we have an unspoken agreement that I stop the
>instant she jumps up to me :)
>Nikki is oblivious to whistling, calling, singing, shouting........she
>marches to her own drummer!!

Stinky responds to whistling, too. He immediately gets up, walks
around, meows, and comes up to me and head-butts-- but I can't tell
if he's doing it because the sound attracts him, or because he's
coming to me to say "Mo-oooo-ooooom, cut it out!"

Theresa

Marina
November 7th 04, 05:13 AM
LMarks wrote:

> Chessie hates any kind of whistling - always has. So I whistle softly to
> get her to come to me...we have an unspoken agreement that I stop the
> instant she jumps up to me :)
> Nikki is oblivious to whistling, calling, singing, shouting........she
> marches to her own drummer!!

My Nikki responds to whistling. She doesn't like and gets quite upset if
I whistle. Frank doesn't care much.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Marina
November 7th 04, 05:13 AM
LMarks wrote:

> Chessie hates any kind of whistling - always has. So I whistle softly to
> get her to come to me...we have an unspoken agreement that I stop the
> instant she jumps up to me :)
> Nikki is oblivious to whistling, calling, singing, shouting........she
> marches to her own drummer!!

My Nikki responds to whistling. She doesn't like and gets quite upset if
I whistle. Frank doesn't care much.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

JB
November 7th 04, 05:51 AM
In >,
Kreisleriana > shouted to everyone in earshot,
> Stinky responds to whistling, too. He immediately gets up, walks
> around, meows, and comes up to me and head-butts--

I used to whistle tunes for my cats (well, still do when I get a song
in my head)... not a huge reaction, but they were interested. then I
started playing cellphone ring tones for them. they'd really go
psycho for Nokia's version of Bach's famous D-minor fugue (usually
labeled "Fuga" in the phone)--Grizzly would lift up to get to the
phone and try to bite the antenna, Buck would tackle her from behind
and start nipping at her, and Jimmer would pace around and wind
between my legs like he didn't know what to do. lots of meowing all
around. good times.

Jeff

JB
November 7th 04, 05:51 AM
In >,
Kreisleriana > shouted to everyone in earshot,
> Stinky responds to whistling, too. He immediately gets up, walks
> around, meows, and comes up to me and head-butts--

I used to whistle tunes for my cats (well, still do when I get a song
in my head)... not a huge reaction, but they were interested. then I
started playing cellphone ring tones for them. they'd really go
psycho for Nokia's version of Bach's famous D-minor fugue (usually
labeled "Fuga" in the phone)--Grizzly would lift up to get to the
phone and try to bite the antenna, Buck would tackle her from behind
and start nipping at her, and Jimmer would pace around and wind
between my legs like he didn't know what to do. lots of meowing all
around. good times.

Jeff

Norm
November 7th 04, 12:01 PM
LMarks wrote:
> Chessie hates any kind of whistling - always has. So I whistle softly to
> get her to come to me...we have an unspoken agreement that I stop the
> instant she jumps up to me :)
> Nikki is oblivious to whistling, calling, singing, shouting........she
> marches to her own drummer!!

When I'm ready to feed 'em, if by some fluke of outside involvement a
cat isn't ready for dinner I just open the door and whistle and they
literally come running. Willie is particularly fun to watch come up the
driveway at fullspeed. Most times I can time him, be bending over his
dish with spoon in hand as he bursts through the catdoor, "You can call
me anything but don't call me Late-For-Dinner" Norm

--
"The web has got me caught. I'd rather have the blues than what I've
got." <via Nat King Cole>

Norm
November 7th 04, 12:01 PM
LMarks wrote:
> Chessie hates any kind of whistling - always has. So I whistle softly to
> get her to come to me...we have an unspoken agreement that I stop the
> instant she jumps up to me :)
> Nikki is oblivious to whistling, calling, singing, shouting........she
> marches to her own drummer!!

When I'm ready to feed 'em, if by some fluke of outside involvement a
cat isn't ready for dinner I just open the door and whistle and they
literally come running. Willie is particularly fun to watch come up the
driveway at fullspeed. Most times I can time him, be bending over his
dish with spoon in hand as he bursts through the catdoor, "You can call
me anything but don't call me Late-For-Dinner" Norm

--
"The web has got me caught. I'd rather have the blues than what I've
got." <via Nat King Cole>

Dan M
November 7th 04, 12:54 PM
> When I'm ready to feed 'em, if by some fluke of outside involvement a
> cat isn't ready for dinner I just open the door and whistle and they
> literally come running. Willie is particularly fun to watch come up the
> driveway at fullspeed. Most times I can time him, be bending over his
> dish with spoon in hand as he bursts through the catdoor, "You can call
> me anything but don't call me Late-For-Dinner" Norm

Tiger (RB) didn't used to respond to whistling, but he would come
running when we called his name. He was an outdoor cat, but used to stay
within a block or so of home. He was also VERY vocal, and when you
called for him you just used to have to listen for a minute to tell
where he was coming from. As soon as he heard his name he'd start
meowing very loudly, and would keep meowing while he ran. You'd hear
"Meow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow" as he came running towards you. Quite amusing!

Dan M
November 7th 04, 12:54 PM
> When I'm ready to feed 'em, if by some fluke of outside involvement a
> cat isn't ready for dinner I just open the door and whistle and they
> literally come running. Willie is particularly fun to watch come up the
> driveway at fullspeed. Most times I can time him, be bending over his
> dish with spoon in hand as he bursts through the catdoor, "You can call
> me anything but don't call me Late-For-Dinner" Norm

Tiger (RB) didn't used to respond to whistling, but he would come
running when we called his name. He was an outdoor cat, but used to stay
within a block or so of home. He was also VERY vocal, and when you
called for him you just used to have to listen for a minute to tell
where he was coming from. As soon as he heard his name he'd start
meowing very loudly, and would keep meowing while he ran. You'd hear
"Meow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow" as he came running towards you. Quite amusing!

Bob M
November 7th 04, 05:34 PM
Dan M wrote:

> > When I'm ready to feed 'em, if by some fluke of outside involvement a
> > cat isn't ready for dinner I just open the door and whistle and they
> > literally come running. Willie is particularly fun to watch come up the
> > driveway at fullspeed. Most times I can time him, be bending over his
> > dish with spoon in hand as he bursts through the catdoor, "You can call
> > me anything but don't call me Late-For-Dinner" Norm
>
> Tiger (RB) didn't used to respond to whistling, but he would come
> running when we called his name. He was an outdoor cat, but used to stay
> within a block or so of home. He was also VERY vocal, and when you
> called for him you just used to have to listen for a minute to tell
> where he was coming from. As soon as he heard his name he'd start
> meowing very loudly, and would keep meowing while he ran. You'd hear
> "Meow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow" as he came running towards you. Quite amusing!

My indoor/outdoor cat Scammer (RB) was this way too. He could be out in
the woods and all I had to do to get him to come was set a can of
unopened tuna on the porch. I would pick it up and set it down
repeatedly so it made just enough noise for him to hear. He would come
running as fast as he could doing the same Meow-ow-ow-ow as your Tiger.
It was very cute.

Bob

Bob M
November 7th 04, 05:34 PM
Dan M wrote:

> > When I'm ready to feed 'em, if by some fluke of outside involvement a
> > cat isn't ready for dinner I just open the door and whistle and they
> > literally come running. Willie is particularly fun to watch come up the
> > driveway at fullspeed. Most times I can time him, be bending over his
> > dish with spoon in hand as he bursts through the catdoor, "You can call
> > me anything but don't call me Late-For-Dinner" Norm
>
> Tiger (RB) didn't used to respond to whistling, but he would come
> running when we called his name. He was an outdoor cat, but used to stay
> within a block or so of home. He was also VERY vocal, and when you
> called for him you just used to have to listen for a minute to tell
> where he was coming from. As soon as he heard his name he'd start
> meowing very loudly, and would keep meowing while he ran. You'd hear
> "Meow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow" as he came running towards you. Quite amusing!

My indoor/outdoor cat Scammer (RB) was this way too. He could be out in
the woods and all I had to do to get him to come was set a can of
unopened tuna on the porch. I would pick it up and set it down
repeatedly so it made just enough noise for him to hear. He would come
running as fast as he could doing the same Meow-ow-ow-ow as your Tiger.
It was very cute.

Bob

Bobcat
November 7th 04, 08:08 PM
"Bob M" > wrote in message
> Dan M wrote:
> >
> > > When I'm ready to feed 'em, if by some fluke of outside
involvement a
> > > cat isn't ready for dinner I just open the door and whistle and
they
> > > literally come running. Willie is particularly fun to watch
come up the
> > > driveway at fullspeed. Most times I can time him, be bending
over his
> > > dish with spoon in hand as he bursts through the catdoor, "You
can call
> > > me anything but don't call me Late-For-Dinner" Norm
> >
> > Tiger (RB) didn't used to respond to whistling, but he would come
> > running when we called his name. He was an outdoor cat, but used
to stay
> > within a block or so of home. He was also VERY vocal, and when you
> > called for him you just used to have to listen for a minute to
tell
> > where he was coming from. As soon as he heard his name he'd start
> > meowing very loudly, and would keep meowing while he ran. You'd
hear
> > "Meow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow" as he came running towards you. Quite
amusing!

My indoor/outdoor cat Scammer (RB) was this way too. He could be out
in
> the woods and all I had to do to get him to come was set a can of
> unopened tuna on the porch. I would pick it up and set it down
> repeatedly so it made just enough noise for him to hear. He would
come
> running as fast as he could doing the same Meow-ow-ow-ow as your
Tiger.
> It was very cute.
> Bob

Before I relocated them to run free at an animal sanctuary, I
regularly fed a bunch of feral cats who lived in the cars and vans
which a repair garage on the next street kept for parts. I'd drive up
with the food on three hunks of aluminum foil. Then I'd get out and
call them for dinner with a two-note "HEYYY-yyy, HEYYY-yyy!" and
they'd come running from every direction. But after awhile they became
so familiar with the sound of my car they'd come for their meal before
I could call them. In fact, even if I'd drive by the garage heading
elsewhere, they'd emerge from hiding thinking it was dinnertime!

Bobcat
November 7th 04, 08:08 PM
"Bob M" > wrote in message
> Dan M wrote:
> >
> > > When I'm ready to feed 'em, if by some fluke of outside
involvement a
> > > cat isn't ready for dinner I just open the door and whistle and
they
> > > literally come running. Willie is particularly fun to watch
come up the
> > > driveway at fullspeed. Most times I can time him, be bending
over his
> > > dish with spoon in hand as he bursts through the catdoor, "You
can call
> > > me anything but don't call me Late-For-Dinner" Norm
> >
> > Tiger (RB) didn't used to respond to whistling, but he would come
> > running when we called his name. He was an outdoor cat, but used
to stay
> > within a block or so of home. He was also VERY vocal, and when you
> > called for him you just used to have to listen for a minute to
tell
> > where he was coming from. As soon as he heard his name he'd start
> > meowing very loudly, and would keep meowing while he ran. You'd
hear
> > "Meow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow" as he came running towards you. Quite
amusing!

My indoor/outdoor cat Scammer (RB) was this way too. He could be out
in
> the woods and all I had to do to get him to come was set a can of
> unopened tuna on the porch. I would pick it up and set it down
> repeatedly so it made just enough noise for him to hear. He would
come
> running as fast as he could doing the same Meow-ow-ow-ow as your
Tiger.
> It was very cute.
> Bob

Before I relocated them to run free at an animal sanctuary, I
regularly fed a bunch of feral cats who lived in the cars and vans
which a repair garage on the next street kept for parts. I'd drive up
with the food on three hunks of aluminum foil. Then I'd get out and
call them for dinner with a two-note "HEYYY-yyy, HEYYY-yyy!" and
they'd come running from every direction. But after awhile they became
so familiar with the sound of my car they'd come for their meal before
I could call them. In fact, even if I'd drive by the garage heading
elsewhere, they'd emerge from hiding thinking it was dinnertime!

---MIKE---
November 7th 04, 09:44 PM
When I feed my two, I always ring a small dinner bell. They are usually
right there anyway but I figure if one of them accidentally gets out I
could get them to come back by ringing the bell.

---MIKE---