PDA

View Full Version : stool in urine?


December 14th 08, 08:01 PM
My cat Snuggles has been having dis-colored stool sometimes lately
(yellowish in color) and softer then her normal. My vet said to give
her food higher in fiber, and this has seemed to help, but she still
has the yellowish stuff sometimes. Today I noticed what looks like
some of the yellowish stool in her urine. Is this even possible? If
it is, does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks!

[Tim]

cwcatartist
December 15th 08, 04:56 AM
> My cat has been having dis-colored stool sometimes lately
> (yellowish in color) and softer then her normal. *My vet said to give
> her food higher in fiber, and this has seemed to help, but she still
> has the yellowish stuff sometimes.

Keep checking for any changes. Probably just some digestive variations
of no concern.

> Today I noticed what looks like some of the yellowish stool in her urine. *Is this even possible?

No, you're just seeing them mixed.

Carol Wilson, Cat Artist
http://www.cafepress.com/carolwilsoncats
http://CarolWilsonCatArt.imagekind.com

abbyspeople
December 15th 08, 05:34 AM
wrote:
> My cat Snuggles has been having dis-colored stool sometimes lately
> (yellowish in color) and softer then her normal. My vet said to give
> her food higher in fiber, and this has seemed to help, but she still
> has the yellowish stuff sometimes. Today I noticed what looks like
> some of the yellowish stool in her urine. Is this even possible? If
> it is, does anyone know what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [Tim]


Well, it is very unusual, but humans can get it, so maybe cats can
too... As an RN I've personally only encountered one case, but I live
in a small(ish) city... so maybe most people go out of town to have it
taken care of. The person I know of had severe ... shoot, I can't
recall exactly, but it was a history of some kind of chronic bowel
problem like Crohns or colitis or diverticulitis, and developed a
fistula between the rectum and the urinary tract.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/442000-overview

Good luck with Snuggles...

Shel

cybercat
December 15th 08, 05:38 AM
> wrote in message
...
> My cat Snuggles has been having dis-colored stool sometimes lately
> (yellowish in color) and softer then her normal. My vet said to give
> her food higher in fiber, and this has seemed to help, but she still
> has the yellowish stuff sometimes. Today I noticed what looks like
> some of the yellowish stool in her urine. Is this even possible? If
> it is, does anyone know what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [Tim]

You need to be talking to a new vet, not a bunch of strangers in Usenet.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
December 15th 08, 10:29 PM
> wrote in message
...
> My cat Snuggles has been having dis-colored stool sometimes lately
> (yellowish in color) and softer then her normal. My vet said to give
> her food higher in fiber, and this has seemed to help, but she still
> has the yellowish stuff sometimes. Today I noticed what looks like
> some of the yellowish stool in her urine. Is this even possible? If
> it is, does anyone know what the problem may be?


Yes it can happen. It can be a fistula where the colon has formed a
adhesion to the bladder and this has opened a hole between the two. It can
be verified cy x-rays and surgery will fix it. It's definitely something
that needs more attention. You might need a specialist for this surgery.
If it is a fistula it will only keep getting worse if untreated. Very bad
bladder infections will happen and these can damage the kidneys.

Best to get serious about it.

Paul

December 23rd 08, 01:05 AM
On Dec 14, 3:01*pm, wrote:
> My cat Snuggles has been having dis-colored stool sometimes lately
> (yellowish in color) and softer then her normal. *My vet said to give
> her food higher in fiber, and this has seemed to help, but she still
> has the yellowish stuff sometimes. *Today I noticed what looks like
> some of the yellowish stool in her urine. *Is this even possible? *If
> it is, does anyone know what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [Tim]

Just wanted to give an update on Snuggles. I had blood tests, x-
rays and an ultrasound run on her, and everything looks good. After
talking with the vet some more, I cut back the amount of canned cat
food I give her in the morning, and I've increased the amount of the w/
d prescription diet dry cat food I give her. Her stool this morning
looked normal. Of course this is just one day, but it makes me think
I'll have to cut back on the amount of wet cat food I give her in the
morning.
Thanks for all the help and support!

[Tim & Snuggles]

cybercat
December 23rd 08, 03:26 AM
> wrote in message
...
On Dec 14, 3:01 pm, wrote:
> My cat Snuggles has been having dis-colored stool sometimes lately
> (yellowish in color) and softer then her normal. My vet said to give
> her food higher in fiber, and this has seemed to help, but she still
> has the yellowish stuff sometimes. Today I noticed what looks like
> some of the yellowish stool in her urine. Is this even possible? If
> it is, does anyone know what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [Tim]

Just wanted to give an update on Snuggles. I had blood tests, x-
rays and an ultrasound run on her, and everything looks good. After
talking with the vet some more, I cut back the amount of canned cat
food I give her in the morning, and I've increased the amount of the w/
d prescription diet dry cat food I give her. Her stool this morning
looked normal. Of course this is just one day, but it makes me think
I'll have to cut back on the amount of wet cat food I give her in the
morning.
Thanks for all the help and support!

[Tim & Snuggles]

******************************

Are you suggesting that the VET said that canned food causes STOOL in
URINE??

December 23rd 08, 03:24 PM
On Dec 22, 10:26*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ...
> On Dec 14, 3:01 pm, wrote:
>
> > My cat Snuggles has been having dis-colored stool sometimes lately
> > (yellowish in color) and softer then her normal. My vet said to give
> > her food higher in fiber, and this has seemed to help, but she still
> > has the yellowish stuff sometimes. Today I noticed what looks like
> > some of the yellowish stool in her urine. Is this even possible? If
> > it is, does anyone know what the problem may be?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > [Tim]
>
> * *Just wanted to give an update on Snuggles. *I had blood tests, x-
> rays and an ultrasound run on her, and everything looks good. *After
> talking with the vet some more, I cut back the amount of canned cat
> food I give her in the morning, and I've increased the amount of the w/
> d prescription diet dry cat food I give her. *Her stool this morning
> looked normal. *Of course this is just one day, but it makes me think
> I'll have to cut back on the amount of wet cat food I give her in the
> morning.
> * *Thanks for all the help and support!
>
> [Tim & Snuggles]
>
> ******************************
>
> Are you suggesting that the VET said that canned food causes STOOL in
> URINE??

No, not at all. I had though that the stool and urine were mixing,
but the doctor examined a sample and said it was just how the diaria
came out which made it appear that way to me. So I was just over-
reacting here, since I had never saw Snuggles do this before. So I
now believe that with her getting older(now a little over 10 years),
that her system is starting to change and she may be starting to be
affected by the canned cat food. So I've been cutting back how much I
give her and this has seemed to help, at least so far.

[Tim]

cshenk
December 23rd 08, 03:40 PM
> wrote

> Just wanted to give an update on Snuggles. I had blood tests, x-
> No, not at all. I had though that the stool and urine were mixing,
>but the doctor examined a sample and said it was just how the diaria
>came out which made it appear that way to me. So I was just over-
>reacting here, since I had never saw Snuggles do this before. So I
>now believe that with her getting older(now a little over 10 years),
>that her system is starting to change and she may be starting to be
>affected by the canned cat food. So I've been cutting back how much I
>give her and this has seemed to help, at least so far.

Just curious but what brand wet did you have her on?

cybercat
December 23rd 08, 04:33 PM
> wrote in message

>No, not at all. I had though that the stool and urine were mixing,
>but the doctor examined a sample and said it was just how the diaria
>came out which made it appear that way to me. So I was just over-
>reacting here, since I had never saw Snuggles do this before. So I
>now believe that with her getting older(now a little over 10 years),
>that her system is starting to change and she may be starting to be
>affected by the canned cat food. So I've been cutting back how much I
>give her and this has seemed to help, at least so far.

I see. I'm glad you took her to the vet. I did have a cat that got the runs
from canned food when I was a child, but did not have the wherewithal to get
my parents to take her to the vet. It's hard to believe dry is better for an
older cat, though. I think I would put out a few extra water bowls so she
will drink more to make sure she will make up the hydration she got from the
wet food. (It actually works, they do drink more if they have more bowls
around in odd places, I tried it.)