PDA

View Full Version : 10 month old siamese wont eat

peter[_2_]
December 27th 08, 04:51 PM
Hi,

we went to met a siamese kit yesterday and we were a bit concerned when
we saw her. she was cowering in a cat carrieran d upon picking her up
we noticed several scabs (which we think are from being tasted by
something else). we just took her because we thought she was not in a
good situation.

we have two other cats and we expected a bit of an issue at first, and
this was true. we locked up the other cats to let the new one wonder
around, but she found the first tight spot to carwl into and stayed
there shikering. we found that she would stay with us if we "swaddled"
her under a blanket or similar covering.

she looks healthy, cool ears, but dry nose, is some what animated with
her head sticking out of the coverings, but she wont eat. she has
licked a bot of cream and milk off her nose, but wont take cat food or
ham or other yummies...it has been about a day since we have had her.

comments?

tia,
peter in CT

MLB
December 27th 08, 06:29 PM
peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we went to met a siamese kit yesterday and we were a bit concerned when
> we saw her. she was cowering in a cat carrieran d upon picking her up
> we noticed several scabs (which we think are from being tasted by
> something else). we just took her because we thought she was not in a
> good situation.
>
> we have two other cats and we expected a bit of an issue at first, and
> this was true. we locked up the other cats to let the new one wonder
> around, but she found the first tight spot to carwl into and stayed
> there shikering. we found that she would stay with us if we "swaddled"
> her under a blanket or similar covering.
>
> she looks healthy, cool ears, but dry nose, is some what animated with
> her head sticking out of the coverings, but she wont eat. she has
> licked a bot of cream and milk off her nose, but wont take cat food or
> ham or other yummies...it has been about a day since we have had her.
>
> comments?
>
> tia,
> peter in CT

My Siamese (RB 16) did not like anything with fish in it. She thrived
for years on Science Diet kibble plus Friskies canned turkey and
giblets. Purrs that your cat will feel more secure and gain her
appetite. MLB

Richard Evans
December 27th 08, 07:41 PM
peter > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>we went to met a siamese kit yesterday and we were a bit concerned when
>we saw her. she was cowering in a cat carrieran d upon picking her up
>we noticed several scabs (which we think are from being tasted by
>something else). we just took her because we thought she was not in a
>good situation.
>
>we have two other cats and we expected a bit of an issue at first, and
>this was true. we locked up the other cats to let the new one wonder
>around, but she found the first tight spot to carwl into and stayed
>there shikering. we found that she would stay with us if we "swaddled"
>her under a blanket or similar covering.
>
>she looks healthy, cool ears, but dry nose, is some what animated with
>her head sticking out of the coverings, but she wont eat. she has
>licked a bot of cream and milk off her nose, but wont take cat food or
>ham or other yummies...it has been about a day since we have had her.
>
>comments?

You should put the new kitten in a confined area and let the others
get used to her by sniffing under the door. She's freaking out from
too much new strange place. A spare bathroom is ideal, especially if
there is a cupboard under the sink she can hide in.

She'll eat when she feels safe. You might speed up the process by
getting some cheap canned mackeral. Put a small amount in a dish, rub
some on your hands before petting her.

Matthew[_3_]
December 27th 08, 07:50 PM
YOU INTRODUCED THE FURBALLS WRONG WAY WRONG

It takes time this is not an overnight thing goggle introducing a new cat

That poor little thing is freaked out and I don't blame the furball
"peter" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> we went to met a siamese kit yesterday and we were a bit concerned when we
> saw her. she was cowering in a cat carrieran d upon picking her up we
> noticed several scabs (which we think are from being tasted by something
> else). we just took her because we thought she was not in a good
> situation.
>
> we have two other cats and we expected a bit of an issue at first, and
> this was true. we locked up the other cats to let the new one wonder
> around, but she found the first tight spot to carwl into and stayed there
> shikering. we found that she would stay with us if we "swaddled" her
> under a blanket or similar covering.
>
> she looks healthy, cool ears, but dry nose, is some what animated with her
> head sticking out of the coverings, but she wont eat. she has licked a
> bot of cream and milk off her nose, but wont take cat food or ham or other
> yummies...it has been about a day since we have had her.
>
> comments?
>
> tia,
> peter in CT

December 27th 08, 07:53 PM
On Dec 27, 10:51*am, peter > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we went to met a siamese kit yesterday and we were a bit concerned when
> we saw her. *she was cowering in a cat carrieran d upon picking her up
> we noticed several scabs (which we think are from being tasted by
> something else). *we just took her because we thought she was not in a
> good situation.
>
> we have two other cats and we expected a bit of an issue at first, and
> this was true. *we locked up the other cats to let the new one wonder
> around, but she found the first tight spot to carwl into and stayed
> there shikering. *we found that she would stay with us if we "swaddled"
> her under a blanket or similar covering.
>
> she looks healthy, cool ears, but dry nose, is some what animated with
> her head sticking out of the coverings, but she wont eat. *she has
> licked a bot of cream and milk off her nose, but wont take cat food or
> ham or other yummies...it has been about a day since we have had her.
>
> comments?
>
> tia,
> peter in CT

FIRST QUESTION: HOW OLD IS SHE?

Is she drinking?
Dehydrated?
How are her gums?
Do you have the means to take her temperature?
Have you left her alone with soft food?

If you know she is healthy and not dehydrated, it may just take a bit
of time for her to relax.

Try warming some wet food to about 100F, try leaving her alone with
that in a small area with good light (no shadows), and no other
animals. Keep her litter at least 6-10 feet from her food - preferably
not in the same room.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

cwcatartist
December 27th 08, 08:04 PM
On Dec 27, 7:51*am, peter > wrote:
> we have two other cats and we expected a bit of an issue at first, and
> this was true.

More than "a bit." Introducing a new cat to an already established cat
or group almost always brings on stress problems. Be a good
facilitator to all involved.

Carol Wilson, Cat Artist
http://www.cafepress.com/carolwilsoncats
http://CarolWilsonCatArt.imagekind.com