PDA

View Full Version : Cat sweaters?

Brian Link
December 29th 08, 01:52 AM
A few years ago my wife suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
the Bengal for the Minnesota winter. I couldn't see how he'd put up
with that, and said it would be a waste of money.

Given fuel prices, we've had to keep our house pretty cool this
winter, and poor Louis finds all the vents blowing hot air and cuddles
up to them. I've reconsidered.

Does anyone have a website vendor they could recommend for cat-coats?

I envision quite a struggle putting one on him, until he realizes
"hey, I'm warmer - this rocks!".

Thanks for any ideas.

BLink
"God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in creating each"
- Geronimo

AZ Nomad[_2_]
December 29th 08, 02:25 AM
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:52:32 -0600, Brian Link > wrote:
>A few years ago my wife suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
>the Bengal for the Minnesota winter. I couldn't see how he'd put up
>with that, and said it would be a waste of money.

>Given fuel prices, we've had to keep our house pretty cool this
>winter, and poor Louis finds all the vents blowing hot air and cuddles
>up to them. I've reconsidered.

Unless your indoor temperature is well below zero, such clothing is
pointless. Your cat already has a fur coat and is quite capable of
augmenting it as necessary by growing a thicker coat.

Have you seen your cat shivering? No? There's a reason.

urls
December 29th 08, 02:56 AM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message

> Does anyone have a website vendor they could recommend for cat-coats?

If you or your wife can knit, here are a couple of patterns:
http://www.christinelandry.com/?cat=7

Seems simple enough.

James
December 29th 08, 03:50 AM
Freezing temperatures don't keep my pussy from going outside. She did
sit in front of the heat vent a few times but never stays there. Then
again it's considered really, really cold here if it ever goes to the
single digits over night.

jmc
December 29th 08, 01:23 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Brian Link exclaimed (12/28/2008 7:52 PM):
> A few years ago my wife suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
> the Bengal for the Minnesota winter. I couldn't see how he'd put up
> with that, and said it would be a waste of money.
>
> Given fuel prices, we've had to keep our house pretty cool this
> winter, and poor Louis finds all the vents blowing hot air and cuddles
> up to them. I've reconsidered.
>
> Does anyone have a website vendor they could recommend for cat-coats?
>
> I envision quite a struggle putting one on him, until he realizes
> "hey, I'm warmer - this rocks!".
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> BLink
> "God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in creating each"
> - Geronimo

A sweater will prohibit your cat from growing a thicker winter coat,
which will happen if she truly needs it. Also, if you decide to go this
route, you can't just leave it on her - can get skin issues and stuff.
That said, a while back I bought a little dog coat for Meep, because she
liked to be in the back yard but didn't really want to go out when it
started getting colder. Meep's coat is a polarfleece dog coat (extra
small) - the kind that only cover the back and chest.

I half expected her to freak out the first time she wore it, but she was
quite happy, I have some video somewhere of her stalking around the back
yard in it.

jmc

Stan Brown
December 29th 08, 01:48 PM
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:52:32 -0600 from Brian Link >:
> A few years ago my wife suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
> the Bengal for the Minnesota winter. I couldn't see how he'd put up
> with that, and said it would be a waste of money.
>
> Given fuel prices, we've had to keep our house pretty cool this
> winter, and poor Louis finds all the vents blowing hot air and cuddles
> up to them. I've reconsidered.

Maybe I'm naive, but where's the problem? Dexter the Wonder cat used
to do this all the time.

Cats have fur coats, unlike us. Assuming they're eating properly,
their metabolism keeps them quite comfortably warm -- a couple of
degrees warmer than you, as it happens.

Unless your cat is a hairless variety, a sweater is a really bad idea
IMHO. For one thing, how will the poor cat clean itself?
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

MaryL
December 29th 08, 08:48 PM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
>A few years ago my wife suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
> the Bengal for the Minnesota winter. I couldn't see how he'd put up
> with that, and said it would be a waste of money.
>
> Given fuel prices, we've had to keep our house pretty cool this
> winter, and poor Louis finds all the vents blowing hot air and cuddles
> up to them. I've reconsidered.
>
> Does anyone have a website vendor they could recommend for cat-coats?
>
> I envision quite a struggle putting one on him, until he realizes
> "hey, I'm warmer - this rocks!".
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> BLink
> "God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in
> creating each"
> - Geronimo

I don't think a sweater would be of any value and might simply annoy a cat.
However, have you considered a heated cat mat? Several versions are
available. Here are some examples:
http://www.petproductdepot.com/Heated_Cat_Beds_and_Mats.htm
http://www.shopping.com/xGS-Heated_Cat_Mat~NS-1~linkin_id-8006949

MaryL

cwcatartist
December 30th 08, 01:22 AM
> suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
> the Bengal for the Minnesota winter.

And you'll find it in shreds.

Carol Wilson, Cat Artist
http://www.cafepress.com/carolwilsoncats
http://CarolWilsonCatArt.imagekind.com

Petzl
December 30th 08, 01:35 AM
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:52:32 -0600, Brian Link > wrote:

>A few years ago my wife suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
>the Bengal for the Minnesota winter. I couldn't see how he'd put up
>with that, and said it would be a waste of money.
>
>Given fuel prices, we've had to keep our house pretty cool this
>winter, and poor Louis finds all the vents blowing hot air and cuddles
>up to them. I've reconsidered.
>
>Does anyone have a website vendor they could recommend for cat-coats?
>
>I envision quite a struggle putting one on him, until he realizes
>"hey, I'm warmer - this rocks!".
>
>Thanks for any ideas.
>
>BLink
>"God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in creating each"
>- Geronimo

IMO you are best look for a "Cat bed" one that looks like a
cave/cocoon/igloo. Made of cotton and foam, are cheap and disposable
when they get overused but last for years, Cats love them

look in bargain/dollar shops. Last one I bought was in a ALDI grocery
store for under $10

Cats always look for warm spots. My beach house in summer I use a
electric blanket to dry the bed (near ocean and air tends to be humid
when house locked up)

The cat was found sweating on top of it and I now have a cat scorch
mark on the mattress

Petzl

Brian Link
December 30th 08, 03:47 AM
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:25:33 -0600, AZ Nomad
> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:52:32 -0600, Brian Link > wrote:
>>A few years ago my wife suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
>>the Bengal for the Minnesota winter. I couldn't see how he'd put up
>>with that, and said it would be a waste of money.
>
>>Given fuel prices, we've had to keep our house pretty cool this
>>winter, and poor Louis finds all the vents blowing hot air and cuddles
>>up to them. I've reconsidered.
>
>Unless your indoor temperature is well below zero, such clothing is
>pointless. Your cat already has a fur coat and is quite capable of
>augmenting it as necessary by growing a thicker coat.
>
>Have you seen your cat shivering? No? There's a reason.

The thing is he's a Bengal - not a natural evolutionarily produced
cat. An artificial beast knit from asian leopard cats and siamese,
neither of which have adaptations for living in the cold.

His ancestors (11 generations hence) were denizens of Southeast Asia,
who never had to develop long coats for cold weather.

Maybe Louis gets cold?

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Sharon[_3_]
December 30th 08, 04:30 AM
In article >,
says...
> A few years ago my wife suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
> the Bengal for the Minnesota winter. I couldn't see how he'd put up
> with that, and said it would be a waste of money.
>
> Given fuel prices, we've had to keep our house pretty cool this
> winter, and poor Louis finds all the vents blowing hot air and cuddles
> up to them. I've reconsidered.

Oh, all cats like warm spots. Mine naps on top of my monitor a lot.

> Does anyone have a website vendor they could recommend for cat-coats?
>
> I envision quite a struggle putting one on him, until he realizes
> "hey, I'm warmer - this rocks!".

It would probably prefer an enclosure of some sort that it can
enter/exit at will. Cats like warm, dark, confined places -- but only
if they can come and go as they please.

Brian Link
December 31st 08, 06:26 AM
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:25:33 -0600, AZ Nomad
> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:52:32 -0600, Brian Link > wrote:
>>A few years ago my wife suggested we get a little sweater for Louis
>>the Bengal for the Minnesota winter. I couldn't see how he'd put up
>>with that, and said it would be a waste of money.
>
>>Given fuel prices, we've had to keep our house pretty cool this
>>winter, and poor Louis finds all the vents blowing hot air and cuddles
>>up to them. I've reconsidered.
>
>Unless your indoor temperature is well below zero, such clothing is
>pointless. Your cat already has a fur coat and is quite capable of
>augmenting it as necessary by growing a thicker coat.
>
>Have you seen your cat shivering? No? There's a reason.

The thing that concerns me is that he's a hybrid - he hasn't been
evolutionarily prepared for his life, he was jury-rigged.

If you took an Asian Leopard Cat and put them in a 62 degree house,
would he be comfortable?

BLink
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

---MIKE---
December 31st 08, 08:33 PM
Tiger has long hair so he is never cold. Amber has a window seat with
aa heating pad but lately she prefers a folded blanket with a piece of
fleece on it. The house is usually about 65 degrees during the day and
cooler at night.

---MIKE---