PDA

View Full Version : When you cat licks you

James
December 31st 08, 05:58 PM
Is cat saying "I love you" or "Boy, you really need a bath"?

When I first let my pussy sleep on my bed, she licked me a lot. I
think she was saying "Thank you". Now she doesn't lick me much. It's
like she only do it to be polite.

Sharon[_3_]
December 31st 08, 07:52 PM
In article <5802f02b-d028-4f94-9ad9-
>,
says...
> Is cat saying "I love you" or "Boy, you really need a bath"?
>
> When I first let my pussy sleep on my bed, she licked me a lot. I
> think she was saying "Thank you". Now she doesn't lick me much. It's
> like she only do it to be polite.

Might just mean she needs more salt in her diet.

Ralph
January 1st 09, 06:26 PM
Cats make and break their own rules for their own reasons, although both cat
and owner need to co-operate.

My favourite quote from a biology teacher:
"Place any living organism in the most controlled, specific circumstances,
- and it will do as it damn well pleases."

Licking or grooming is a social tool between cats, and their keepers.
It's physical contact, a sign of social comfort, and useful between cats for
those hard-to-reach places. (head and back)
My cat likes salt very much, so that nothing salted can be left out. (soggy
chips and pretzels- no.)
She used to lick the same area of my arm over and over, so I doubt the salt
theory. - at least for my cat. (DSH tabby)

The cat is just being social, quietly and politely, in its own fashion.
Consider it a hug, or a welcome, and you could return the favour by petting,
combing or brushing. The cat will let you know which it likes.

"Sharon" > wrote in message
> In article <5802f02b-d028-4f94-9ad9-
> >,
> says...
>> Is cat saying "I love you" or "Boy, you really need a bath"?
>>
>> When I first let my pussy sleep on my bed, she licked me a lot. I
>> think she was saying "Thank you". Now she doesn't lick me much. It's
>> like she only do it to be polite.
>
> Might just mean she needs more salt in her diet.

jmc
January 2nd 09, 02:57 AM
Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (12/31/2008 11:58 AM):
> Is cat saying "I love you" or "Boy, you really need a bath"?
>
> When I first let my pussy sleep on my bed, she licked me a lot. I
> think she was saying "Thank you". Now she doesn't lick me much. It's
> like she only do it to be polite.

When Meep licks me she is saying, "Look, I'm grooming you, you better
darn well return the favor and start petting me, kapish?"

jmc