PDA

View Full Version : My cat uses a litter box too often

Dom
January 2nd 09, 10:53 PM
I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
vet for medication.

Dom

Matthew[_3_]
January 2nd 09, 10:59 PM
"Dom" > wrote in message
>I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
> When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
> if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
> is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
> vet for medication.
>
> Dom

What is your vet saying sounds like a new vet is needed if they can't find a
problem

cybercat
January 3rd 09, 12:28 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...

> "Dom" > wrote in message
>>I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
>> When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
>> if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
>> is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
>> vet for medication.
>>
>> Dom
>

> What is your vet saying sounds like a new vet is needed if they can't find
> a problem

Dom does not want to take his/her cat to the vet, as he/she feels he/she is
"off to the vet with every little problem."

The first thing that comes to my mind is diabetes. The second is, don't ****
around with elimination changes if you want to keep your cat alive.

Candace
January 3rd 09, 12:41 AM
On Jan 2, 2:53*pm, Dom > wrote:
> I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
> When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. *Is there something wrong, and
> if so, can I do something about it? *Maybe a different food? *This cat
> is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
> vet for medication.
>
> Dom

If this is a new development, you cat probably is blocked or at least
has a urinary tract infection. If it is a new problem, the cat can
die if you don't get it to the vet immediately.

jmc
January 3rd 09, 04:33 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Dom exclaimed (1/2/2009 4:53 PM):
> I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
> When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
> if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
> is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
> vet for medication.
>
> Dom

Probably a UTI. Needs a vet, urgently. If the cat is a he and he
blocks, he can die. With a female, they rarely block completely, but
the condition can be very painful.

Please bring the cat to the vet ASAP. This won't clear up without a
vet's help.

jmc

Sharon[_3_]
January 3rd 09, 05:00 AM
In article <eb50ee51-a3cc-43ba-b937-
>, says...
> I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
> When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
> if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
> is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
> vet for medication.
>
> Dom

Sounds like a blockage in the cat's plumbing.

Is the cat's abdomen kind of hard or tight, right about where the
urinary bladder is? If so then that might be what it is.

Just guessing though. It could be other things (diabetes, kidney
problems, etc). But what you described sounds a lot like what happens
when a human has a kidney stone or enlarged prostate or something
blocking up the ol' pee tubes.

Dom
January 3rd 09, 07:31 PM
On Jan 2, 11:00*pm, Sharon > wrote:
> In article <eb50ee51-a3cc-43ba-b937-
> >, says...
>
> > I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
> > When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. *Is there something wrong, and
> > if so, can I do something about it? *Maybe a different food? *This cat
> > is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
> > vet for medication.
>
> > Dom
>
> Sounds like a blockage in the cat's plumbing.
>
> Is the cat's abdomen kind of hard or tight, right about where the
> urinary bladder is? *If so then that might be what it is.
>
> Just guessing though. *It could be other things (diabetes, kidney
> problems, etc). *But what you described sounds a lot like what happens
> when a human has a kidney stone or enlarged prostate or something
> blocking up the ol' pee tubes.

Thanks to everyone. My cat was at the vet just a few weeks ago for
his annual check-up and shots. Is UTI not something checked out at
that time? I'm going to call the vet on Monday, first thing, btw.

Dom

Candace
January 3rd 09, 10:06 PM
On Jan 3, 11:31*am, Dom > wrote:
> On Jan 2, 11:00*pm, Sharon > wrote:
>

> > In article <eb50ee51-a3cc-43ba-b937-
> > >, says....
>
> > > I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
> > > When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. *Is there something wrong, and
> > > if so, can I do something about it? *Maybe a different food? *This cat
> > > is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
> > > vet for medication.
>
> > > Dom
>
> > Sounds like a blockage in the cat's plumbing.
>
> > Is the cat's abdomen kind of hard or tight, right about where the
> > urinary bladder is? *If so then that might be what it is.
>
> > Just guessing though. *It could be other things (diabetes, kidney
> > problems, etc). *But what you described sounds a lot like what happens
> > when a human has a kidney stone or enlarged prostate or something
> > blocking up the ol' pee tubes.
>
> Thanks to everyone. *My cat was at the vet just a few weeks ago for
> his annual check-up and shots. *Is UTI not something checked out at
> that time? *I'm going to call the vet on Monday, first thing, btw.
>
> Dom

A UTI can come on at any time in a cat or human or whatever. If your
cat is trying to pee every 5 minutes and little or nothing is coming
out, he won't be alive by Monday. And, no, a UTI is not something
checked for in a routine exam other than when the vet palpates the cat
and would notice the bladder being hard or full or something. But a
blockage can occur at any moment!!!!!!!!!!!

Spot[_2_]
January 4th 09, 04:41 AM
If this is a male cat it probably will be dead by Monday. This is not
something to wait on the cat needs seen by a vet ASAP.

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBayŽ auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip

"Dom" > wrote in message
On Jan 2, 11:00 pm, Sharon > wrote:
> In article <eb50ee51-a3cc-43ba-b937-
> >, says...
>
> > I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
> > When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
> > if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
> > is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
> > vet for medication.
>
> > Dom
>
> Sounds like a blockage in the cat's plumbing.
>
> Is the cat's abdomen kind of hard or tight, right about where the
> urinary bladder is? If so then that might be what it is.
>
> Just guessing though. It could be other things (diabetes, kidney
> problems, etc). But what you described sounds a lot like what happens
> when a human has a kidney stone or enlarged prostate or something
> blocking up the ol' pee tubes.

Thanks to everyone. My cat was at the vet just a few weeks ago for
his annual check-up and shots. Is UTI not something checked out at
that time? I'm going to call the vet on Monday, first thing, btw.

Dom

jmc
January 4th 09, 06:48 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Dom exclaimed (1/3/2009 1:31 PM):
> On Jan 2, 11:00 pm, Sharon > wrote:
>> In article <eb50ee51-a3cc-43ba-b937-
>> >, says...
>>
>>> I have two cats, and one is in the litter box about every 5 minutes.
>>> When I scoop, I see only tiny clumps. Is there something wrong, and
>>> if so, can I do something about it? Maybe a different food? This cat
>>> is a little sickly, gets the sneezes a lot, and I'm always off to the
>>> vet for medication.
>>> Dom
>> Sounds like a blockage in the cat's plumbing.
>>
>> Is the cat's abdomen kind of hard or tight, right about where the
>> urinary bladder is? If so then that might be what it is.
>>
>> Just guessing though. It could be other things (diabetes, kidney
>> problems, etc). But what you described sounds a lot like what happens
>> when a human has a kidney stone or enlarged prostate or something
>> blocking up the ol' pee tubes.
>
> Thanks to everyone. My cat was at the vet just a few weeks ago for
> his annual check-up and shots. Is UTI not something checked out at
> that time? I'm going to call the vet on Monday, first thing, btw.
>
> Dom

No, not unless you had mentioned your cat was having problems. And UTI
issues, cystitis, can come on any time - she may have been quite OK at
the vet visit.

If this is a urinary problem, she is sick, and in pain. Delaying until
Monday is something you should not do. You should have taken her to the
vet yesterday, or today.

My cat has had these kind of attacks, exactly what you are seeing. She
had cystitis, she was very distressed, and in pain. I, of course, took
her to the vet immediately, and she was fine in a short length of time
(antibiotic shot and a painkiller, I think).

She had a couple more attacks before I was able to make the right
management changes to keep her healthy. It has been years now since
she's blocked.

Please, take your kitty to a vet tomorrow, if she's still doing this.

jmc