PDA

View Full Version : Dolly can't deficate

January 4th 09, 11:13 PM
Our cat was taken to the vet and had 2 enemas yesterday, didn't do
much good. She will only eat dry food. She is also vomiting. Is there
a pill or medicin I can give her. She is only 7. It's breaking my
heart.

Sharon[_3_]
January 4th 09, 11:30 PM
In article >,
says...
> Our cat was taken to the vet and had 2 enemas yesterday, didn't do
> much good. She will only eat dry food. She is also vomiting. Is there
> a pill or medicin I can give her. She is only 7. It's breaking my
> heart.

This web page is as old as dirt and has probably been posted here a few
times over the years, but what the hell.

http://www.catenema.com/cat.html

LauraM[_2_]
January 5th 09, 05:10 AM
On Jan 4, 2:13*pm, wrote:
> Our cat was taken to the vet and had 2 enemas yesterday, didn't do
> much good. She will only eat dry food. She is also vomiting. Is there
> a pill or medicin I can give her. She is only 7. It's breaking my
> heart.

I just went through this with my cat, Hobbes. The vet put him on
Lactulose twice a day for four weeks (he's on week 3) and I'm also
giving him 1/8 tsp every two days of Benefiber. So far, so good.

He battled constipation for about three months and has had about four
enemas total. I know that it's important that they get fiber and
moisture to keep things moving, so to speak.

Talk to the vet about the Lactulose. It's a stool softener.

Hope that helps! It's so hard to watch our beloved pets suffer.

Rhonda[_3_]
January 5th 09, 05:23 AM
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about Dolly. Our cat had the same problem a couple of
years ago. She could not go at all, and then the toxins built up in her
system enough that she was throwing up all of the time.

With her, she had enemas daily at the vet for about a week. She was also
put on medication to try to get the colon to start pushing again. I now
forget the names of the medication, I believe the main one was lactalose.

When the feces stays in the colon, it becomes hard and dry -- so she was
also given fluids every day to try to hydrate everything.

When that didn't work, the vet said she could manually try to remove the
matter but she felt we were past the point of that working. She sent us
to a surgeon.

Sweeter had her colon removed and after some complications the first
week (which was the first time this vet had a cat with any
complications,) she is doing great two years later. It has given her a
new lease on life. She will have to be on potassium the rest of her life
and does have diarrhea at times, but that's a small thing.

Her condition was called megacolon, when the colon has been stopped and
stretched so much that the nerves or muscles that do the pushing -- no
longer push.

You can do some reading about it here:
http://www.hillsborovet.com/pet_care/cats/megacolon_treatment.php
http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/SmallAnimalTopics/MegacoloninCats/

Your cat should at least be on something hydrating and some medication
to work on getting the colon pushing again. If you feel that you need a
second vet opinion, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Whatever you decide, I'd do it right away.

Good luck,

Rhonda