PDA

View Full Version : Megacolon

Teena
January 10th 09, 10:41 PM
My poor cat is 2 and cannot poop. This has been going on for over 6
months. He has been on the two medications mentioned...cisipride and
lactulose (spelling?)...but they don't work. He waits about 4 days to
go....but by that time he has to get rid of a "plug" that has been
sitting in his bowels....he strains. I had enough! the other day he
pooped outside the box because he associates the box with pain.....
but I didn't care, as long as he let it out - I just clean it
up. ....... and then he threw up (another sign of megacolon). The
vets were trying to fix it with this lifetime mediation, but he
doesn't seem to be responding to it....so I will be going in about a
week to a surgeon and getting him operationed on. I heard that this
operation is highly successful. I do not want him in pain any
more...and I worry so much too....If I wait until he's older, then the
operation may be out of the questions...so I'm doing it now.

Teena

LauraM[_2_]
January 10th 09, 10:58 PM
On Jan 10, 2:41*pm, Teena > wrote:
> My poor cat is 2 and cannot poop. *This has been going on for over 6
> months. *He has been on the two medications mentioned...cisipride and
> lactulose (spelling?)...but they don't work. *He waits about 4 days to
> go....but by that time he has to get rid of a "plug" that has been
> sitting in his bowels....he strains. *I had enough! *the other day he
> pooped outside the box because he associates the box with pain.....
> but I didn't care, as long as he let it out - I just clean it
> up. *....... and then he threw up (another sign of megacolon). *The
> vets were trying to fix it with this lifetime mediation, but he
> doesn't seem to be responding to it....so I will be going in about a
> week to a surgeon and getting him operationed on. *I heard that this
> operation is highly successful. *I do not want him in pain any
> more...and I worry so much too....If I wait until he's older, then the
> operation may be out of the questions...so I'm doing it now.
>
> Teena

I'm sorry to hear that your young little kitty is having these
problems. It's so hard to watch them deal with this. I pray your
kitty does well with the surgery. She's young and will recover to
have a long, happy life. I will say a little prayer for your angel!

My kitty hasn't gone much in two days since his diet has been changed
and we started him on cisapride and lactulose. I'm not sure the
surgery is an option for him because of his age and how he isn't
tolerating the anesthesia too well now-a-days. I almost lost him
getting his teeth cleaned.

But...he's so happy right now. i think because the vet gave him an
anti-inflammatory shot. I knew he needed this way before he had this
megacolon issue, but it was my instincts and could not be
scientifically determined by my vet. I think he has IBD if you ask me
in addition to megacolon. His sister died of IBD a few years ago.
Guess they have genetically bad gastro problems.

Our little furballs....they're such great reflections of love. How
can anyone not love animals? All they want is love.