PDA

View Full Version : Adopted cat with slight litterbox issue


Mike[_4_]
January 13th 09, 08:02 PM
We just adopted a 6 month male who is the most good natured thing I've
ever seen. He's quite a lap cat and very gentle.

He lived in a foster home with several other cats which may explain the
following issue. I was just looking for ideas on how to change his
behavior.

After using the litterbox, he stands with one foot in the box and the
other three on the sides of the box. Instead of scooping litter where it
should go, he paws the litterbox, (top edge and sides), the wall,
everything except the litter! He's trying to bury it, but it obviously
doesn't go well. He finally gives up and leaves it unburied.

I just tried putting a cover thing on the box so he is more confined and
can't paw the walls, but was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to
reprogram him.

Thanks!

Linda Boucher
January 13th 09, 08:20 PM
Hi
my cat is 13 years old now and as done this all her life.....
i just take the poop out of her pan no big deal
Linda
>
> After using the litterbox, he stands with one foot in the box and the
> other three on the sides of the box. Instead of scooping litter where it
> should go, he paws the litterbox, (top edge and sides), the wall,
> everything except the litter! He's trying to bury it, but it obviously
> doesn't go well. He finally gives up and leaves it unburied.
>

cybercat
January 13th 09, 09:18 PM
"Mike" > wrote in message
...
> We just adopted a 6 month male who is the most good natured thing I've
> ever seen. He's quite a lap cat and very gentle.
>
> He lived in a foster home with several other cats which may explain the
> following issue. I was just looking for ideas on how to change his
> behavior.
>
> After using the litterbox, he stands with one foot in the box and the
> other three on the sides of the box. Instead of scooping litter where it
> should go, he paws the litterbox, (top edge and sides), the wall,
> everything except the litter! He's trying to bury it, but it obviously
> doesn't go well. He finally gives up and leaves it unburied.
>
> I just tried putting a cover thing on the box so he is more confined and
> can't paw the walls, but was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to
> reprogram him.
>

My cats do this. It is not a problem. A problem is when they do not go in
the litter box.

Congratulations on your sweet boy. We would love to see photos. (P.S., I
would nix the lid on the litter box. It is too easy to forget to scoop the
box, and if you let it get dirty, you will have a problem. Start our on the
right foot and you will never have inappropriate elimination issues with
your kitty.)

DWMeowMix
January 13th 09, 11:30 PM
On Jan 13, 1:02*pm, Mike > wrote:
.... he stands with one foot in the box and the *
> other three on the sides of the box. Instead of scooping litter where it *
> should go, he paws the litterbox, (top edge and sides), the wall, *
> everything except the litter! *He's trying to bury it, but it obviously *
> doesn't go well. He finally gives up and leaves it unburied....>

> Thanks!

Well, my critters do this too. I just sigh, scoop, wash the wall
occasionally, repaint when necessary and use a good solid type
deodorizer that doesn't bug kitties sensitive nose!

Debbie

Claude V. Lucas
January 13th 09, 11:37 PM
In article >,
DWMeowMix > wrote:
>On Jan 13, 1:02*pm, Mike > wrote:
>... he stands with one foot in the box and the *
>> other three on the sides of the box. Instead of scooping litter where it *
>> should go, he paws the litterbox, (top edge and sides), the wall, *
>> everything except the litter! *He's trying to bury it, but it obviously *
>> doesn't go well. He finally gives up and leaves it unburied....>
>
>> Thanks!
>
>Well, my critters do this too. I just sigh, scoop, wash the wall
>occasionally, repaint when necessary and use a good solid type
>deodorizer that doesn't bug kitties sensitive nose!
>
>Debbie
>

When my cat does a poor job of covering I either scoop it or
cover it for her. She gets it right most of the time...

January 14th 09, 02:28 AM
On Jan 13, 3:02*pm, Mike > wrote:
> We just adopted a 6 month male who is the most good natured thing I've *
> ever seen. He's quite a lap cat and very gentle.
>
> He lived in a foster home with several other cats which may explain the *
> following issue. I was just looking for ideas on how to change his *
> behavior.
>
> After using the litterbox, he stands with one foot in the box and the *
> other three on the sides of the box. Instead of scooping litter where it *
> should go, he paws the litterbox, (top edge and sides), the wall, *
> everything except the litter! *He's trying to bury it, but it obviously *
> doesn't go well. He finally gives up and leaves it unburied.
>
> I just tried putting a cover thing on the *box so he is more confined and *
> can't paw the walls, but was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to *
> reprogram him.
>
> Thanks!

Mike:

That _IS_ normal, actually. Male cats are not into hiding their
presence, even if altered. A wild male will quite often defecate on a
slight elevation and then spread the leavings about some to make yet
more of an 'impression'. It is a way of marking territory and
ownership as well as a statement of dominance. And if anyone has
smelled intact-male poop it does make an impression, at least. Have
you ever noticed that male cats tend to use the litter just as you
finish changing it? Ever wondered why?

Females, young cats and kittens do tend to bury their leavings so as
to avoid calling attention to themselves or their litters.

We need to stop perceiving our domestic cats in terms of our
expectations but more in terms of their natural behavior. The closer
we can allow them to be that way, the happier they will be - although
we may not appreciate it. Most house-cats display kitten behavior with
their keepers even as mature adults. They have learned that this gets
them rewards and attention whereas natural behavior gets them accused
of being aloof, unfriendly, angry, whatever.

Just clean up after him and he will stop attempting to broadcast his
presence. And be profoundly grateful that he is just kittenish enough
to land in the box, not beside it. Again, ask those who breed cats
about their stud-males' litter habits. It will be quite revealing.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

MLB
January 14th 09, 05:58 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Mike" > wrote in message
> ...
>> We just adopted a 6 month male who is the most good natured thing I've
>> ever seen. He's quite a lap cat and very gentle.
>>
>> He lived in a foster home with several other cats which may explain the
>> following issue. I was just looking for ideas on how to change his
>> behavior.
>>
>> After using the litterbox, he stands with one foot in the box and the
>> other three on the sides of the box. Instead of scooping litter where it
>> should go, he paws the litterbox, (top edge and sides), the wall,
>> everything except the litter! He's trying to bury it, but it obviously
>> doesn't go well. He finally gives up and leaves it unburied.
>>
>> I just tried putting a cover thing on the box so he is more confined and
>> can't paw the walls, but was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to
>> reprogram him.
>>
>
> My cats do this. It is not a problem. A problem is when they do not go in
> the litter box.
>
> Congratulations on your sweet boy. We would love to see photos. (P.S., I
> would nix the lid on the litter box. It is too easy to forget to scoop the
> box, and if you let it get dirty, you will have a problem. Start our on the
> right foot and you will never have inappropriate elimination issues with
> your kitty.)
>
>

Is your box large enough? MLB

cshenk
January 16th 09, 10:22 PM
"Mike" wrote

> After using the litterbox, he stands with one foot in the box and the
> other three on the sides of the box. Instead of scooping litter where it
> should go, he paws the litterbox, (top edge and sides), the wall,

Common for male cats. Not all that uncommon for female cats.

> I just tried putting a cover thing on the box so he is more confined and
> can't paw the walls, but was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to
> reprogram him.

Warning, *some* cats will find another location if they do not like the
cover. This can then be very difficult to change.

He's using the box now, so I'd not mess with this one.