PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthyroidism + Liver Tumor

Andrea Parker
January 14th 09, 08:06 PM
Hi Everybody,
This is my first time posting and I could really use some advice.
My cat is 15 years old and was just diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and
the vet also found a small tumor on the liver.
The cost for the bloodwork and the ultrasound was a lot. Now I am faced
with
a biopsy to find out if the tumor is cancerous, which is also expensive
--- then we maybe talking surgery and more ultrasounds, bloodwork and
heartmonitoring. ( She has some heart damage,too ). Medications for the
heart and thyroid would stabilize her to still live a normal live. The
question is about the tumor. It could be benign, but it could very well
be cancer.
I don't know what I should do?! I don't want for her to suffer, that is
my main concern, but her age and unfortunately my budget is a big
concern,too!
If anyone of you has a cat with either problem or both, I would really
appreciate your advice.
Thanks in advance,
Andrea

Rene S.
January 14th 09, 09:26 PM
I am sorry you are facing multiple concerns with your cat. It's so
hard, isn't it?

Cats with hyperthryoid and on heart medication can live a number of
years. While 15 is certainly older, she could live to be 18 or even
more.

I am well aware of the expense of vet visits/treatment, and yes, your
budget is something to think about. However, if it were me personally,
I would at least want to know what kind of tumor you're dealing with.
Once you find that out, you can see what options are available. Take
it one step at a time. Get your vet's input too, and if you're not
satisfied with that, get another opinion elsewhere (make sure to bring
copies of all test results along).

You can also talk to the vet about your money concerns. Some may offer
payment plans or even give reduced rates for treatment (I was
fortunate to have this happen to me once). You won't know unless you
ask them though.

Rene

Andrea Parker
January 15th 09, 03:35 PM
Thanks,Rene, for your thoughts. I know the best thing would be to check
the tumor.
Weighing the amount of time my cat will have left with the amount of
money I have to come up with to keep her is really hard.
I don't know what vets charge in your area, I live in NY, but just to
find out what is wrong with her including bloodwork,ultrasound and
biopsy is $1200! You can imagine what surgery would be, if she has
cancer. I hate to put a price on her life, but with veterinarians
charging that much for their service, you get forced into a tough
decision. Plus I have 2 more cats at 12 years of age to consider. I am
trying to keep them all healthy, but that problem really through me for
a loop.
I am contemplating treating her for the heart and thyroid problem and
taking a chance on the tumor. I did some research on line and it said
that if a cat has a tumor only in the liver it is most likely to be
benign. If she had a cancerous tumor it would be also in other organs
and the doctor who did the ultrasound did not see any other anywhere. My
veterinarian is obviously insisting on doing the biopsy.
Got to give this some more thought........
Andrea

Rene S.
January 15th 09, 07:19 PM
> I am contemplating treating her for the heart and thyroid problem and
> taking a chance on the tumor. I did some research on line and it said
> that if a cat has a tumor only in the liver it is most likely to be
> benign. If she had a cancerous tumor it would be also in other organs
> and the doctor who did the ultrasound did not see any other anywhere. My
> veterinarian is obviously insisting on doing the biopsy.
> Got to give this some more thought........

Have you gotten an estimate on just the biospy?

You can try calling around and talking to some other local vets to get
other opinions. I did this once when my cat had pancreatitis, and got
some helpful information from other vets. It was free and if I hadn't
had that information, I'm not sure my cat would be alive today.

Andrea Parker
January 15th 09, 08:38 PM
The biopsy is estimated at $500, I already spent $ 700 on the other
tests.
Good point though, I'll try and call around, maybe there are other
options.

cybercat
January 15th 09, 08:53 PM
"Andrea Parker" > wrote in message
> The biopsy is estimated at $500, I already spent $ 700 on the other
> tests.
> Good point though, I'll try and call around, maybe there are other
> options.

Another idea is, see how much to just go in and get that tumor out of there,
regardless of whether it is benign or what.

Rene S.
January 15th 09, 09:17 PM
On Jan 15, 1:38*pm, (Andrea Parker) wrote:
> The biopsy is estimated at $500, I already spent $ 700 on the other
> tests.

FWIW, when my oldest cat had pancreatitis a few years ago, we spent
$2k on his medical bills. We don't have extra money laying around, and
I wasn't sure spending that much was a good idea. However, the night
after he came home from the hospital, weak as he was, he jumped on my
bed at bedtime, purring softly. I started crying because that took so
much effort for him, but he still wanted to be close to me. I said to
him "paid in full" and have never regretted spending that money since.

Money aside, you need to do what your heart tells you. If you let
things go, will you regret it someday, saying "I should have. . ."?
Not trying to guilt you into anything. Just something to think about.