PDA

View Full Version : How do others do it No Kill Shelter money, time, also aging cats?

Bill Bligh
January 21st 09, 10:14 PM
My friend, let's call her J, is 65, retired, working part time to meet
and talk with people.

She does all the feeding, litter, medication and trips to vet and
breaking up disputes.

She has no time for herself.

She won't trust others whose help she "rewards" to medicate these
cats, some of whom are in their teens. ( FIV, diabetes, IBS throat and
other problems.)

People who have agreed to help tend the cats if only she will take
them in often forget their promises. ( In truth, I am not without
sin in this area. )

She won't trust mariner's with one of hers as a ship's cat - thinks
they would fall in or desert in port.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

They are well cared for at the expense of J's health and financial
well being.

Peace

Bligh (Bill) (Capt)

January 21st 09, 10:48 PM
On Jan 21, 4:14*pm, Bill Bligh > wrote:
> My friend, let's call her J, is 65, retired, working part time to meet
> and talk with people.
>
> She does all the feeding, litter, medication and trips to vet and
> breaking up disputes.
>
> She has no time for herself.
>
> She won't trust others whose help she "rewards" to medicate these
> cats, some of whom are in their teens. ( FIV, diabetes, IBS throat and
> other problems.)
>
> People who have agreed to help tend the cats if only she will take
> them in often forget their promises. * ( In truth, I am not without
> sin in this area. )
>
> She won't trust mariner's with one of hers as a ship's cat - thinks
> they would fall in or desert in port.
>
> Any advice will be much appreciated.
>
> They are well cared for at the expense of J's health and financial
> well being.
>
> Peace
>
> Bligh (Bill) (Capt)

As long as she is sane, sober and over 18, stay out of it. People make
choices. She has made hers. And clearly, nothing else has come along
in her life to cause her to reconsider those choices.

If she is NOT as above, then you may have to consider intervention -
and, for the record, if you do so, you will very likely lose out on
any plans you might have as you will be forever perceived as a traitor
- except in the very unlikely chance that a treatable disease is
causing her behavior.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Matthew[_3_]
January 21st 09, 11:33 PM
Bill We do it because we are that person or persons that answers the call
to do such a thing.

I wish I win the lottery If I ever I would make sure I could save as many
as I could

Me email address even though partially munged says it all

I AM A CAT SLAVE AND PROUD TO SERVE

May the gods grant your friend may good fortunes

I also don't understand your post. Does your friend need help doing this or
do you want her to stop.

And if so why Ever think it might be her calling. There are many of us
that do this. Your friend is a HERO in my book. If you want her to stop I
think you are going to find you don't have a friend any more. I know if
someone told me to stop my 12 inch boot would go in one end, come out
another and torn around for a retry.

"Bill Bligh" > wrote in message
> My friend, let's call her J, is 65, retired, working part time to meet
> and talk with people.
>
> She does all the feeding, litter, medication and trips to vet and
> breaking up disputes.

Welcome to being a pet owner and responsibility

> She has no time for herself.

Welcome to animal rescue. It almost sounds like you are jealous

> She won't trust others whose help she "rewards" to medicate these
> cats, some of whom are in their teens. ( FIV, diabetes, IBS throat and
> other problems.)

So again welcome to animal rescue You know how many nurses and people are
like this

> People who have agreed to help tend the cats if only she will take
> them in often forget their promises. ( In truth, I am not without
> sin in this area. )

The joys of anmal rescues People plain suck must of the time

> She won't trust mariner's with one of hers as a ship's cat - thinks
> they would fall in or desert in port.

There is an animal recueser named Phil on this group He and like many
others run background checks on the adoptee and have interviews to make sure
you are not a pyscho

> Any advice will be much appreciated.
>
> They are well cared for at the expense of J's health and financial
> well being.

I am going to take a shot in the dark this is your sister or wife maybe
some one that as financial ties to you

> Peace
>
> Bligh (Bill) (Capt)

Bill being a cat slave or a animal lover can't be explained it comes from
the heart. Let me give you an example. I lost my heart cat Spirit last
1/29/2008 He was poisoned by the pet food recall. We spent almost I believe
a $1000.00 trying to save him. He survived but died due to later
complications of the poisoning. My current cat Phantom who is 15 and has
hyperthyroidism it will cost if he make it to 21 about $5000.00 in vet
bills. My rumble on his 3rd birthday developed epilepsy and literally
almost tore his face off. 10,000 dollar get him better and he became
diabetic about age 6 that was almost $3000 more. he is now epileptic free
and diabetes under control for 3 years in OCT 2009. Every dollar spent
could have been a new car new TV new something. But was it worth every
penny ABSOLUTELY RIGHT IT WAS.

DWMeowMix
January 22nd 09, 12:22 AM
On Jan 21, 2:14*pm, Bill Bligh > wrote:
> My friend, let's call her J, is 65, retired, working part time to meet
> and talk with people.
>
> She does all the feeding, litter, medication and trips to vet and
> breaking up disputes.
>
> She has no time for herself.
>
> She won't trust others whose help she "rewards" to medicate these
> cats, some of whom are in their teens. ( FIV, diabetes, IBS throat and
> other problems.)
>
> People who have agreed to help tend the cats if only she will take
> them in often forget their promises. * ( In truth, I am not without
> sin in this area. )
>
> She won't trust mariner's with one of hers as a ship's cat - thinks
> they would fall in or desert in port.
>
> Any advice will be much appreciated.
>
> They are well cared for at the expense of J's health and financial
> well being.
>
> Peace
>
> Bligh (Bill) (Capt)

Hi Bligh,

Since you have stated that the cats are well cared for and being
vetted properly, it doesn't sound like she's a hoarder. Unless your
friend is physically or mentally unfit, it sounds to me that shes
doing something she loves. I can sympathise. Many of us who are
alone and love cats take this route to fill a void in our lives.
Being retired with no children (or husband?) to care for, its natural
she would put all her time and money into her furbabies. Personally,
I have loved cats since I was a small child and I bet your friend has
too. Our kitties become our children (furkids) and it would never
even cross our minds to let even one go unloved, left sick and ailing,
or put in harms way of any sort whether it be real or imagined.

You might try to help her get funding for her no-kill shelter by
applying to Maddie's Fund for grant monies if she hasn't already
( http://www.maddiesfund.org/grant/index.html ). Also I'm sure there
are other sources but I'm not up-to-date in the no-kill movement so I
recommend starting a google search for funding, get in touch with
other local shelters and rescues and ask them they go about funding
their shelters. Here's another link that comes highly recommended,
No Kill Advocacy Center: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/ .
These should get her/you started in the right direction.

If you're looking to free your friend of her "responsibility" of the
cats, I don't think you'll find much sympathy here. More people like
your friend are needed to help these homeless cats and I for one say
"More Power To Her!" I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm a little
unsure of the motivation behind your post.

Debbie