PDA

View Full Version : Sleep twitching

Mike[_4_]
January 25th 09, 09:09 PM
We recently adopted a 6 month old male who is the most good natured thing.

My previous cat was very easily awakened when someone walked by or touched
him and his ears would twitch at sounds even when it seemed he was mostly
asleep.

THIS cat sleeps like a rock! He doesn't seem to notice sounds while he is
sleeping although I know his hearing is fine. When he is sleeping, you can
pet him and he doesn't move much if at all. We can even scoop him up with
two hands like a pizza and move him to another spot or a lap and he just
takes a little looks, shrugs and goes right back to sleep.

When he is sleeping, he often twitches like someone having dreams. His
feet may jerk, the tail twitches, he licks his lips, etc.

How common is this? Has anyone seen a cat who sleeps so deeply and/or one
who tends to twitch in his sleep?

Mike

honeybunch
January 25th 09, 09:41 PM
On Jan 25, 4:09*pm, Mike > wrote:
> We recently adopted a 6 month old male who is the most good natured thing..
>
> My previous cat was very easily awakened when someone walked by or touched *
> him and his ears would twitch at sounds even when it seemed he was mostly *
> asleep.
>
> THIS cat sleeps like a rock! He doesn't seem to notice sounds while he is *
> sleeping although I know his hearing is fine. When he is sleeping, you can *
> pet him and he doesn't move much if at all. We can even scoop him up with *
> two hands like a pizza and move him to another spot or a lap and he just *
> takes a little looks, shrugs and goes right back to sleep.
>
> When he is sleeping, he often twitches like someone having dreams. His *
> feet may jerk, the tail twitches, he licks his lips, etc.
>
> How common is this? Has anyone seen a cat who sleeps so deeply and/or one *
> who tends to twitch in his sleep?
>
> Mike

I think you are fortunate to adopt a cat who has never once been
mistreated.

Curmudgeon
January 25th 09, 10:34 PM
In article
honeybunch > wrote:

> On Jan 25, 4:09*pm, Mike > wrote:
> > We recently adopted a 6 month old male who is the most good natured thing.
> >
> > My previous cat was very easily awakened when someone walked by or touched *
> > him and his ears would twitch at sounds even when it seemed he was mostly *
> > asleep.
> >
> > THIS cat sleeps like a rock! He doesn't seem to notice sounds while he is *
> > sleeping although I know his hearing is fine. When he is sleeping, you can *
> > pet him and he doesn't move much if at all. We can even scoop him up with *
> > two hands like a pizza and move him to another spot or a lap and he just *
> > takes a little looks, shrugs and goes right back to sleep.
> >
> > When he is sleeping, he often twitches like someone having dreams. His *
> > feet may jerk, the tail twitches, he licks his lips, etc.
> >
> > How common is this? Has anyone seen a cat who sleeps so deeply and/or one *
> > who tends to twitch in his sleep?
> >
> > Mike
>
> I think you are fortunate to adopt a cat who has never once been
> mistreated.

Agreed. With respect to twitching, my Maine Coon ("Woof") is almost
constantly in motion no matter how deeply he seems to be sleeping and
since he insists on being snuggled up to me under the covers to start
each night, I've had to become accustomed to it. When he begins his
spastic little dance in earnest, I reach down and scratch him between
the ears and he answers with a quiet chirping noise and settles down
for a short bit before the next dream begins.

Purrmudgeon (in the "cats" newsgroups exclusively)

--

Cheers!

Mudge

"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this hotel will be standing
until I pay my bill."

Noon Cat Nick
January 25th 09, 10:35 PM
Mike wrote:
> We recently adopted a 6 month old male who is the most good natured thing.
>
> My previous cat was very easily awakened when someone walked by or
> touched him and his ears would twitch at sounds even when it seemed he
> was mostly asleep.
>
> THIS cat sleeps like a rock! He doesn't seem to notice sounds while he
> is sleeping although I know his hearing is fine. When he is sleeping,
> you can pet him and he doesn't move much if at all. We can even scoop
> him up with two hands like a pizza and move him to another spot or a
> lap and he just takes a little looks, shrugs and goes right back to sleep.
>
> When he is sleeping, he often twitches like someone having dreams. His
> feet may jerk, the tail twitches, he licks his lips, etc.
>
> How common is this? Has anyone seen a cat who sleeps so deeply and/or
> one who tends to twitch in his sleep?
>
> Mike

I've often encountered cats, including all the ones I've had, who twitch
in their sleep. I've owned dogs who do it as well. As best I can tell,
this is a manifestation of dreaming, which all intelligent creatures do.
People twitch in their sleep also. I've seen it, and been told I do it.

As far as sleep so deep it doesn't disturb the cat, this is also common.
My cat is like that. As you've noted, not all cats do this, but many do.

Matthew[_3_]
January 25th 09, 11:20 PM
Mike cats are like humans they dream they have nightmare just like us
you would be surprised how many humans move when dreaming

My phantom has nightmare I know when he does he comes finds me and uses a
special meow

"Mike" > wrote in message
> We recently adopted a 6 month old male who is the most good natured thing.
>
> My previous cat was very easily awakened when someone walked by or touched
> him and his ears would twitch at sounds even when it seemed he was mostly
> asleep.
>
> THIS cat sleeps like a rock! He doesn't seem to notice sounds while he is
> sleeping although I know his hearing is fine. When he is sleeping, you can
> pet him and he doesn't move much if at all. We can even scoop him up with
> two hands like a pizza and move him to another spot or a lap and he just
> takes a little looks, shrugs and goes right back to sleep.
>
> When he is sleeping, he often twitches like someone having dreams. His
> feet may jerk, the tail twitches, he licks his lips, etc.
>
> How common is this? Has anyone seen a cat who sleeps so deeply and/or one
> who tends to twitch in his sleep?
>
> Mike

news[_2_]
January 27th 09, 02:26 PM
Matthew wrote:
> Mike cats are like humans they dream they have nightmare just
> like us you would be surprised how many humans move when dreaming

It is not normal for humans to move during the dream stage of sleep. The
brain releases neurotransmitters that paralyze the body.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REM_sleep.

Matthew[_3_]
January 27th 09, 05:16 PM
"news" > wrote in message
> Matthew wrote:
>> Mike cats are like humans they dream they have nightmare just
>> like us you would be surprised how many humans move when dreaming
>

> It is not normal for humans to move during the dream stage of sleep. The
> brain releases neurotransmitters that paralyze the body.
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REM_sleep.

AS I SAID you would be surprised of how many people move when dreaming

Frank Pittel
February 7th 09, 04:35 AM
I have a cat that used to twitch as a kitten. He grew out of it with time.