PDA

View Full Version : Lump in tail

Clara Semps
February 1st 09, 08:06 AM
One of my cats has always been what we call a "happy tail." He walks
around with his tail held high... especially when eating. About 4
months ago he had a really bad time defecating. Was in a lot of pain
and I wound up rushing him to the emergency room on a weekend night.
Turned out to be just a case of constipation and Lanatone did the
trick.

About 2 momths ago we noticed a rather large lump almost at the base of
his tail. It seemed to bother him and we rushed him to the vet. The vet
said that it could be anything and to bring him back if it gets bigger
or he stops eating or anything more out of the ordinary occurs. While
he seems to be fine, the lump hasn't gotten any bigger, it's still
there but he hasn't been a "happy tail" in a long time.

Anyone have any idea of what I should do? The vet did say I could spend
a lot of time and money on x-rays, biopsies, etc. but he didn't think
it worth doing for a large, male cat over 12 or putting my cat through
the sedatives at his age. I love this big guy of mine a lot, he's a
Tuxedo Ragamuffin, 21 lbs of plushous luscious fur called Chaplin
because he has a black face and white "Charlie Chaplin" type mustache
right under that cute nose of his. I'm out of work and money is an
issue but his comfort and health is also. Should I just leave him alone
to enjoy whatever life he's got left or put him through all the tests
and procedures? As I said, other than his tail hanging low all the
time, nothing else seems to be bothering him.

Noon Cat Nick
February 1st 09, 09:50 AM
Clara Semps wrote:
> One of my cats has always been what we call a "happy tail." He walks
> around with his tail held high... especially when eating. About 4
> months ago he had a really bad time defecating. Was in a lot of pain
> and I wound up rushing him to the emergency room on a weekend night.
> Turned out to be just a case of constipation and Lanatone did the
> trick.
>
> About 2 momths ago we noticed a rather large lump almost at the base of
> his tail. It seemed to bother him and we rushed him to the vet. The vet
> said that it could be anything and to bring him back if it gets bigger
> or he stops eating or anything more out of the ordinary occurs. While
> he seems to be fine, the lump hasn't gotten any bigger, it's still
> there but he hasn't been a "happy tail" in a long time.
>
> Anyone have any idea of what I should do? The vet did say I could spend
> a lot of time and money on x-rays, biopsies, etc. but he didn't think
> it worth doing for a large, male cat over 12 or putting my cat through
> the sedatives at his age. I love this big guy of mine a lot, he's a
> Tuxedo Ragamuffin, 21 lbs of plushous luscious fur called Chaplin
> because he has a black face and white "Charlie Chaplin" type mustache
> right under that cute nose of his. I'm out of work and money is an
> issue but his comfort and health is also. Should I just leave him alone
> to enjoy whatever life he's got left or put him through all the tests
> and procedures? As I said, other than his tail hanging low all the
> time, nothing else seems to be bothering him.

Cats often hide illnesses until it's too late to help them. It's part of
their survival instinct, in order not to give away their compromised
health to prey or predators. This might or might not be the case here.
But it still should be looked into.

Obviously vet bills are out of your range right now. Talk to the local
animal shelters and humane societies, and find out if any of them have
vets or vet techs on staff that will examine your cat at a more
reasonable rate. Sometimes they do.

Poe
February 1st 09, 04:00 PM
Clara Semps wrote:
> One of my cats has always been what we call a "happy tail." He walks
> around with his tail held high... especially when eating. About 4
> months ago he had a really bad time defecating. Was in a lot of pain
> and I wound up rushing him to the emergency room on a weekend night.
> Turned out to be just a case of constipation and Lanatone did the
> trick.
>
> About 2 momths ago we noticed a rather large lump almost at the base of
> his tail. It seemed to bother him and we rushed him to the vet. The vet
> said that it could be anything and to bring him back if it gets bigger
> or he stops eating or anything more out of the ordinary occurs. While
> he seems to be fine, the lump hasn't gotten any bigger, it's still
> there but he hasn't been a "happy tail" in a long time.
>
> Anyone have any idea of what I should do? The vet did say I could spend
> a lot of time and money on x-rays, biopsies, etc. but he didn't think
> it worth doing for a large, male cat over 12 or putting my cat through
> the sedatives at his age. I love this big guy of mine a lot, he's a
> Tuxedo Ragamuffin, 21 lbs of plushous luscious fur called Chaplin
> because he has a black face and white "Charlie Chaplin" type mustache
> right under that cute nose of his. I'm out of work and money is an
> issue but his comfort and health is also. Should I just leave him alone
> to enjoy whatever life he's got left or put him through all the tests
> and procedures? As I said, other than his tail hanging low all the
> time, nothing else seems to be bothering him.

It's a tough call because it could be anything from a benign cyst to
cancer. I agree with the other poster who said try to get some reduced
cost analysis from the shelter, or call around and see if any vets could
do some basics on the cheap. Most vets have their own x-ray machines, so
they could do that. Not all vets have the ability to do lab work,
though, so any blood tests or biopsies would likely cost *something*
because they'd be sent to a 3rd party lab. Most of what they'd do
(blood, urine, even a biopsy I think) can be done with the cat awake, no
need for anesthesia.

---MIKE---
February 1st 09, 06:25 PM
Amber had a lump at the base of her tail a few years ago. The vet said
it was just a cyst and removed it. Some stitches were necessary.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cybercat
February 2nd 09, 06:58 AM
"Clara Semps" > wrote in message

Dump your vet. Take care of your cat.

Spot[_2_]
February 2nd 09, 05:59 PM
I would think that he can at least do a needle biopsy with out putting under
for it. I would want it done just to rule out cancer at least. I may be
nothing more than a fatty cyst.

celeste

--
Get 600 FREE 4X6 prints and 600 FREE 5x7 prints
sign up for Artscow

Save 25% or more on your eBayŽ auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip
http://www.bidnip.com/a.php?id=39019

"Clara Semps" > wrote in message
> One of my cats has always been what we call a "happy tail." He walks
> around with his tail held high... especially when eating. About 4
> months ago he had a really bad time defecating. Was in a lot of pain
> and I wound up rushing him to the emergency room on a weekend night.
> Turned out to be just a case of constipation and Lanatone did the
> trick.
>
> About 2 momths ago we noticed a rather large lump almost at the base of
> his tail. It seemed to bother him and we rushed him to the vet. The vet
> said that it could be anything and to bring him back if it gets bigger
> or he stops eating or anything more out of the ordinary occurs. While
> he seems to be fine, the lump hasn't gotten any bigger, it's still
> there but he hasn't been a "happy tail" in a long time.
>
> Anyone have any idea of what I should do? The vet did say I could spend
> a lot of time and money on x-rays, biopsies, etc. but he didn't think
> it worth doing for a large, male cat over 12 or putting my cat through
> the sedatives at his age. I love this big guy of mine a lot, he's a
> Tuxedo Ragamuffin, 21 lbs of plushous luscious fur called Chaplin
> because he has a black face and white "Charlie Chaplin" type mustache
> right under that cute nose of his. I'm out of work and money is an
> issue but his comfort and health is also. Should I just leave him alone
> to enjoy whatever life he's got left or put him through all the tests
> and procedures? As I said, other than his tail hanging low all the
> time, nothing else seems to be bothering him.

Clara Semps
February 6th 09, 05:54 PM
I want to thank all of you for your input. Indeed, I think I will cut
the vet and take care of the cat. The suggestions to call the local
shelters is a great idea. Thank you all. I'll find a new vet and take
him next week. We'll see if it's something benign or more serious. Even
a cyst can be uncomfortable and not fatal so I'll see about getting it
removed.

Thanks again.

Clara Semps
February 6th 09, 08:42 PM
I called the shelters and they had nothing to offer other than to call
the local vets. So I started calling local vets to see their prices for
a biopsy and if they had any sliding scale available for us out of work
multitudes. I finally found one vet who offered a 10% discount for the
office visit and who's biopsy charge was less than anyone else. They
also said they'll work with me on figuring out what's wrong and how to
treat it without costing me a fortune.

So, we go to the vet tomorrow and I hope for good news.

--

Clara Semps
February 15th 09, 07:04 PM
> wrote:

> I called the shelters and they had nothing to offer other than to call
> the local vets. So I started calling local vets to see their prices for
> a biopsy and if they had any sliding scale available for us out of work
> multitudes. I finally found one vet who offered a 10% discount for the
> office visit and who's biopsy charge was less than anyone else. They
> also said they'll work with me on figuring out what's wrong and how to
> treat it without costing me a fortune.
>
> So, we go to the vet tomorrow and I hope for good news.
>
> --

Well, I took Chaplin to the vet. The bad news is it is a tumor and most
likely malignant. The needle biopsy showed bad cells. The good news is
it may be an isolated tumor and not have metasticized. Unfortunately,
the next step is to try to remove the tumor from around his tail, which
the doctor doesn't think will be possible. Which means he'll have to
lose his tail. Also bad news is it's going to cost $800 - $1000 which I
don't have. So for now, we watch and wait and keep him as happy as we
can. :(

LauraM[_2_]
February 16th 09, 02:16 AM
On Feb 15, 11:04*am, Clara Semps > wrote:
> In article >, Clara Semps
>
> > wrote:
> > I called the shelters and they had nothing to offer other than to call
> > the local vets. So I started calling local vets to see their prices for
> > a biopsy and if they had any sliding scale available for us out of work
> > multitudes. I finally found one vet who offered a 10% discount for the
> > office visit and who's biopsy charge was less than anyone else. They
> > also said they'll work with me on figuring out what's wrong and how to
> > treat it without costing me a fortune.
>
> > So, we go to the vet tomorrow and I hope for good news.
>
> > --
>
> Well, I took Chaplin to the vet. The bad news is it is a tumor and most
> likely malignant. The needle biopsy showed bad cells. The good news is
> it may be an isolated tumor and not have metasticized. Unfortunately,
> the next step is to try to remove the tumor from around his tail, which
> the doctor doesn't think will be possible. Which means he'll have to
> lose his tail. Also bad news is it's going to cost $800 - $1000 which I
> don't have. So for now, we watch and wait and keep him as happy as we
> can. :(

I'm sorry to hear Chaplin has a tumor. :( The good news is that your
kitty can probably live a long, happy life without his tale. Just
look at the Manx! I hope there's a way to find someone who will let
you make payments. I feel for your predicament. These days the
economy is horrible and we all have to tighten our belts.

Clara Semps
February 16th 09, 09:09 PM
In article
LauraM > wrote:

> On Feb 15, 11:04*am, Clara Semps > wrote:
> > In article >, Clara Semps
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > I called the shelters and they had nothing to offer other than to call
> > > the local vets. So I started calling local vets to see their prices for
> > > a biopsy and if they had any sliding scale available for us out of work
> > > multitudes. I finally found one vet who offered a 10% discount for the
> > > office visit and who's biopsy charge was less than anyone else. They
> > > also said they'll work with me on figuring out what's wrong and how to
> > > treat it without costing me a fortune.
> >
> > > So, we go to the vet tomorrow and I hope for good news.
> >
> > > --
> >
> > Well, I took Chaplin to the vet. The bad news is it is a tumor and most
> > likely malignant. The needle biopsy showed bad cells. The good news is
> > it may be an isolated tumor and not have metasticized. Unfortunately,
> > the next step is to try to remove the tumor from around his tail, which
> > the doctor doesn't think will be possible. Which means he'll have to
> > lose his tail. Also bad news is it's going to cost $800 - $1000 which I
> > don't have. So for now, we watch and wait and keep him as happy as we
> > can. :(
>
> I'm sorry to hear Chaplin has a tumor. :( The good news is that your
> kitty can probably live a long, happy life without his tale. Just
> look at the Manx! I hope there's a way to find someone who will let
> you make payments. I feel for your predicament. These days the
> economy is horrible and we all have to tighten our belts.

Indeed. I don't know what's going to happen if I can't get the money
for the operation. As it is, because he's 12, the operation is a risk
in itself. He also has a growth in his right ear which the doctor just
thinks is an irritation from allergies. That's why the operation will
cost more because he plans on removing both the tumor and the growth in
his ear. I asked about payment plans but they don't have any. I need to
really think about whether or not I can afford to take the money out of
my IRA. It's what I'm living off of and I've been out of work for 10
months now. Who knows when I'll find a job. <sigh> Or if my jewelry
line will ever take off. I just know that I want Chaplin to stay well.
He's a great, funny, loving cat. :(

Matthew[_3_]
February 16th 09, 09:17 PM
"Clara Semps" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> LauraM > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 15, 11:04 am, Clara Semps > wrote:
>> > In article >, Clara Semps

>> > Well, I took Chaplin to the vet. The bad news is it is a tumor and most
>> > likely malignant. The needle biopsy showed bad cells. The good news is
>> > it may be an isolated tumor and not have metasticized. Unfortunately,
>> > the next step is to try to remove the tumor from around his tail, which
>> > the doctor doesn't think will be possible. Which means he'll have to
>> > lose his tail. Also bad news is it's going to cost $800 - $1000 which I
>> > don't have. So for now, we watch and wait and keep him as happy as we
>> > can. :(
>>
>> I'm sorry to hear Chaplin has a tumor. :( The good news is that your
>> kitty can probably live a long, happy life without his tale. Just
>> look at the Manx! I hope there's a way to find someone who will let
>> you make payments. I feel for your predicament. These days the
>> economy is horrible and we all have to tighten our belts.
>
> Indeed. I don't know what's going to happen if I can't get the money
> for the operation. As it is, because he's 12, the operation is a risk
> in itself. He also has a growth in his right ear which the doctor just
> thinks is an irritation from allergies. That's why the operation will
> cost more because he plans on removing both the tumor and the growth in
> his ear. I asked about payment plans but they don't have any. I need to
> really think about whether or not I can afford to take the money out of
> my IRA. It's what I'm living off of and I've been out of work for 10
> months now. Who knows when I'll find a job. <sigh> Or if my jewelry
> line will ever take off. I just know that I want Chaplin to stay well.
> He's a great, funny, loving cat. :(

talk to another vet service see who has payment plans and find one that
you like and can deal with

I love my vet to death but if he was not willing to work with me out the
door he would go no matter how much I trust him

Good luck