PDA

View Full Version : I give up.

James
February 1st 09, 11:57 PM
I'm starting to put the lid down on the toilet. She makes my skin
craw insisting on drinking from the toilet instead of the water bowl.
She's almost in the bowl to get to the water. She's too lazy to go to
her water bowl.

Linda Boucher
February 2nd 09, 12:10 PM
Hi
that the best thing to do i keep the lid down all the time
Linda
> I'm starting to put the lid down on the toilet. She makes my skin
> craw insisting on drinking from the toilet instead of the water bowl.
> She's almost in the bowl to get to the water. She's too lazy to go to
> her water bowl.

dgk
February 2nd 09, 12:42 PM
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:57:35 -0800 (PST), James >
wrote:

>I'm starting to put the lid down on the toilet. She makes my skin
>craw insisting on drinking from the toilet instead of the water bowl.
>She's almost in the bowl to get to the water. She's too lazy to go to
>her water bowl.

I keep it down all the time. Mine have a water fountain and shouldn't
be drinking from the toilet.

bartlet
February 2nd 09, 02:59 PM
On Feb 1, 6:57*pm, James > wrote:
> I'm starting to put the lid down on the toilet. *She makes my skin
> craw insisting on drinking from the toilet instead of the water bowl.
> She's almost in the bowl to get to the water. *She's too lazy to go to
> her water bowl.

maybe the water in the toilet is fresher than the water bowl?

ONLY YOU know the truth James

ah.. there's a sip left. if they're thirsty they;ll drink it?
bah. shed rather drink from the toilet

it's not like the toilet is easy to navigate.

change her water daily.

LauraM[_2_]
February 2nd 09, 03:31 PM
On Feb 1, 3:57*pm, James > wrote:
> I'm starting to put the lid down on the toilet. *She makes my skin
> craw insisting on drinking from the toilet instead of the water bowl.
> She's almost in the bowl to get to the water. *She's too lazy to go to
> her water bowl.

Putting the lid down each time with put you in good training once you
get married or start living with a woman....that is, if you're not
already. :^)

One time my mom was cleaning her toilet and got up for a second to get
a cleaner. When she turned around, her cat, Mr. Tabbs, took a running
leap onto what he thought was going to be the lid and landed straight
in the water. Needless to say he jumped right out. He never drank
from the toilet bowl again.

Bobble
February 2nd 09, 03:36 PM
On Feb 1, 6:57*pm, James > wrote:
> I'm starting to put the lid down on the toilet. *She makes my skin
> craw insisting on drinking from the toilet instead of the water bowl.
> She's almost in the bowl to get to the water. *She's too lazy to go to
> her water bowl.

My present cat has always preferred toilet water. He has a fresh
water bowl beside his food dish, and one in the kitchen sink (changed
daily). I caught him drinking out of the dishes a few times, so I
gave up and put a water dish in the sink for him. However, he will
walk by his water bowl and go straight to the toilet and drink there
instead. And it's not easy balancing on the edge of a toilet. As
long as you don't use those blue toilet bowl cleaners, and double
flush after cleaning the toilet, I don't see the harm. After all,
they do wash that area of their bodies which isn't the cleanest, and
they don't have the same digestion system we have.

Bobble

barb
February 3rd 09, 04:39 PM
Keep the lid down. Best advice. My cats love to drink from the tub. They
hang over the edge and gobble down tub water in spite of the fact that I
give them fresh water in their china bowls with each feeding. Sometimes that
tub water is pretty hot. They don't care.

Barb

bartlet
February 3rd 09, 05:16 PM
> tub water is pretty hot. *They don't care.
>
> Barb

lol

it's also big water

pretty funny

so what you know

what is they hurting
not a thang

and when they gone
we wish they was drinking from the toilet

my cats have long since done whatever they please
basically. i don't let them out when they want

but otherwise

sudee
February 4th 09, 05:54 AM
On Feb 3, 8:39*am, "Barb" > wrote:
> Keep the lid down. *Best advice. *My cats love to drink from the tub. *They
> hang over the edge and gobble down tub water in spite of the fact that I
> give them fresh water in their china bowls with each feeding. Sometimes that
> tub water is pretty hot. *They don't care.
>
> Barb

Agreed. I can't stand the look of a toilet lid up anyway. I have
always cringed when Sister in law is over because she and her daughter
always leave it up. As far as I'm concerned that is just as bad as
guys leaving the whole thing up. It looks "untidy" and just a big ugly
hole. Besides, when you flush with lid up you are expelling all those
germs into the air. Better hope you have a covered toothbrush in that
room!!!! (They have done shows on the germs released when you do that
and what lands on toothbrushes sharing the room).

Sue -- firefighter mom -- Still rabid UW Dawg fan!!

February 4th 09, 08:18 PM
On Feb 1, 6:57*pm, James > wrote:
> I'm starting to put the lid down on the toilet. *She makes my skin
> craw insisting on drinking from the toilet instead of the water bowl.
> She's almost in the bowl to get to the water. *She's too lazy to go to
> her water bowl.

If you are on "city" water, fresh tap water isn't. If you are on well
water, there are other sometimes other factors.

Keep in mind that cats have a sense of smell that is far superior to
ours and at the very least the equal of dogs - even if slanted
slightly towards a different part of the olfactory spectrum. Most
water we put in front of them, bluntly, smells like crap to them. And
they prefer toilet water as that water has been sitting in a tank for
a while, then is displayed for their use with a large surface area.
The smelly volatiles (chlorine, chloramines, and so forth if city
water; sulphenes, iron compounds and so forth if from some wells)
evaporate, and the particulates settle to the bottom. So, they get
what is for them much better water.

We are on city water at home and shallow-well water at our summer
house. We age the former for our cats in glass bottles, which they
appreciate. The shallow-well water is nearly free of minerals and
entirely free of chlorine, so they are fine with it right from the
tap. They are very good drinkers (for which we are thankful) but still
occasionally stray to the toilet for refreshment. So we pay attention
to cleaning chemicals and to cleaning in general with the cats' and
dogs' health in mind.

Sometimes knowing 'why' makes dealing with the problem much easier.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA