PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter licking her belly

bartlet
February 2nd 09, 03:08 PM
Jupiter won't quit licking her tummy
it's her inner thighs and about 3"'s above her thing

the whole erea is free of hair

I maybe wrong, but seems like she used to have hair there

if you are looking at her from behind while she's standing
you can see.. up her inner thighs are shaved (licked clean)

i am thinking she is itching from her operation
somehow

i think I better have her looked at for all that damn licking
poor girl

LauraM[_2_]
February 2nd 09, 03:33 PM
On Feb 2, 7:08*am, bartlet > wrote:
> Jupiter won't quit licking her tummy
> it's her inner thighs and about 3"'s above her thing
>
> the whole erea is free of hair
>
> I maybe wrong, but seems like she used to have hair there
>
> if you are looking at her from behind while she's standing
> you can see.. up her inner thighs are shaved (licked clean)
>
> i am thinking she is itching from her operation
> somehow
>
> i think I better have her looked at for all that damn licking
> poor girl

What operation did she have? The licking could be her trying to make
it feel better. It could also be from something else. I would take
her to the vet and get it checked out. Sometimes continual licking
could be from irritable bowel or pancreatis, etc. Not saying she has
those things, but better to be safe than sorry.

bartlet
February 2nd 09, 09:20 PM
On Feb 2, 10:33*am, LauraM > wrote:

> What operation did she have? *The licking could be her trying to make
> it feel better. *It could also be from something else. *I would take
> her to the vet and get it checked out. *Sometimes continual licking
> could be from irritable bowel or pancreatis, etc. *Not saying she has
> those things, but better to be safe than sorry.

it's been a couple years, I was just refferring to her desexing op.

yes. there is something to it. something is making her itch.

it doesn't matter which food I use. she likes to lick that area
it looks shaved
up the insides of her hind legs, and the lower belly area

she is next to the vet, I just came from the animal, hospitol. they
want to keep my other cat overnight

thanks

jmc
February 2nd 09, 11:24 PM
Suddenly, without warning, bartlet exclaimed (2/2/2009 10:08 AM):
> Jupiter won't quit licking her tummy
> it's her inner thighs and about 3"'s above her thing
>
> the whole erea is free of hair
>
> I maybe wrong, but seems like she used to have hair there
>
> if you are looking at her from behind while she's standing
> you can see.. up her inner thighs are shaved (licked clean)
>
> i am thinking she is itching from her operation
> somehow
>
> i think I better have her looked at for all that damn licking
> poor girl

Yes, she used to have hair there. We went through this too, with Meep,
in the exact same location. First, take her to the vet. He'll likely
put her on a course of antihistamines, to eliminate itch as a reason.
Meep was on prednisone for a while, it didn't really help.

FWIW, we weren't even sure *she* was doing it at first, since we never
caught her paying more attention to that area than any other. She
didn't damage the skin, just kept the area completely bare of fur.

If it's not itch, then it's behavioral. She's stressing from something
in her life. It may have been months ago, it takes a while to lose all
that hair. It's sometimes called 'fur mowing' (you can Google it). If
you can figure out what she might be stressing about, and can fix the
problem, she will hopefully stop licking on her own. With Meep, I never
was sure what she was stressing about - we'd had to move, but that was 4
or so months before I noticed her belly was getting bare.

We first tried Meep on Clomicalm, which she didn't tolerate well, then
tried Amitryptyline (sp?) which essentially cured her. Since we were
moving again, I kept her on the Ami until we were settled in our new
home, and over that time the fur grew back in and she hasn't resumed mowing.

Good luck. If you do catch her overgrooming, don't yell at her or
anything, but distract her with a toy, or food, or just by getting up
and going somewhere in the house. We didn't catch her at it much, but
when I did notice, if I could distract her she'd rarely start right in
again.

bartlet
February 3rd 09, 09:36 PM
On Feb 2, 6:24*pm, jmc > wrote:

> Good luck. *If you do catch her overgrooming, don't yell at her or
> anything, but distract her with a toy, or food, or just by getting up
> and going somewhere in the house. *We didn't catch her at it much, but
> when I did notice, if I could distract her she'd rarely start right in
> again.

I haven't finished reading all of your comment yet... thanks

but yes! I had thought the same thing. it seems she is trying to
forget something

you're a genius

bartlet
February 3rd 09, 09:44 PM
On Feb 2, 10:33*am, LauraM > wrote:
> On Feb 2, 7:08*am, bartlet > wrote:
>
> > Jupiter won't quit licking her tummy
> > it's her inner thighs and about 3"'s above her thing
>
> > the whole erea is free of hair
>
> > I maybe wrong, but seems like she used to have hair there
>
> > if you are looking at her from behind while she's standing
> > you can see.. up her inner thighs are shaved (licked clean)
>
> > i am thinking she is itching from her operation
> > somehow
>
> > i think I better have her looked at for all that damn licking
> > poor girl
>
> What operation did she have? *The licking could be her trying to make
> it feel better. *It could also be from something else. *I would take
> her to the vet and get it checked out. *Sometimes continual licking
> could be from irritable bowel or pancreatis, etc. *Not saying she has
> those things, but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks,

sorry. I was talking about her desexing.
You may be right. Ill mention your ideas to the vet.

and then, the Amitryptyline that JMC gave her cat might work for mine
too.

I'll see what vet suggests, and mention these to her.

it's been going on for years

at first I'd just schew her out of the room so I could sleep
like.. accidently scrape her off the bed while I was sleeping
she'd get mad and go in the other room

I don't do that no more

I just, sit up, and talk calm to her
and tell her, I sorry she's itchin

and, sure. I thought it could be mental of sorts

Im just different, in that, I don't assume any negative
actions from a cat

iow's, there's a valid reason.
and usually us humans are the hypocrits and the cats just want justice

bartlet
February 3rd 09, 09:47 PM
On Feb 3, 4:44*pm, bartlet > wrote:

> Im just different, in that, I don't assume any negative
> actions from a cat

I mean to say. I am different now.

I used to distract her out of the room
like, go open a can of food, and then
lock her out

so I could sleep

sometimes I get real high and nothing wakes me up

bartlet
February 12th 09, 03:24 PM
On Feb 2, 6:24*pm, jmc > wrote:

> Good luck. *If you do catch her overgrooming, don't yell at her or
> anything, but distract her with a toy, or food, or just by getting up
> and going somewhere in the house. *We didn't catch her at it much, but
> when I did notice, if I could distract her she'd rarely start right in
> again.

Thanks, Sorry you movin AGAIN

yes, it's definetely behavior imo all this licking

if when you see her straight on from behind
it looks like she had a bad was job

(looking on from behind)

she's bare up the insides of her thighs
and belly between

it looks snatched out, ripped out
not the skin. the skin looks healthy
I mean, it's not neatly done (not that I would expect it to be neat)

my point is. IT LOOKS AS YOU SAY the work of bad nerves
or overstressed nerves

it looks un-natural

honestly, when I got a clear look at it
and thought about it