PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on ear-thermometer accueracy

Poe
February 5th 09, 05:11 PM
Hello.

I have a sick cat who I've been monitoring vitals several times daily
(he's been sick or going on 2 weeks now, in and out of the vet, tests,
IVs, etc. - still working thru it). I have trouble using a rectal
thermometer without help holding him, so when I am alone I've been using
an ear-thermometer. When I google about its accuracy I see what amounts
to advertisements, saying how accurate it is. However, when I ask the
vets (I've been to a number of them over the past 2 weeks), I get mixed
feedback.

I tried comparing ear and rectal results, but with my situation where
the cat's temp is so spiky (it is all over the place), I am still not
confident because his temp seems to change minute by minute.

Anyone else here have opinions on them? Do they tend to read higher or
lower in other people's experience? I was really shocked yesterday when
it read a temp of 106.5, which is an emergency, then a short time later
as I prepared to respond to the emergency a rectal read 105.5. However,
other times it seems to match more closely.

Going crazy here, any feedback would be appreciated.

cybercat
February 5th 09, 05:23 PM
"Poe" > wrote in message

> Hello.
>
> I have a sick cat who I've been monitoring vitals several times daily
> (he's been sick or going on 2 weeks now, in and out of the vet, tests,
> IVs, etc. - still working thru it). I have trouble using a rectal
> thermometer without help holding him, so when I am alone I've been using
> an ear-thermometer. When I google about its accuracy I see what amounts to
> advertisements, saying how accurate it is. However, when I ask the vets
> (I've been to a number of them over the past 2 weeks), I get mixed
> feedback.

Most people agree that rectal is more accurate, but I sure would use an ear
thermometer, if only to avoid upsetting the cat.

February 6th 09, 02:19 AM
On Feb 5, 12:11*pm, Poe > wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a sick cat who I've been monitoring vitals several times daily
> (he's been sick or going on 2 weeks now, in and out of the vet, tests,
> IVs, etc. - still working thru it). I have trouble using a rectal
> thermometer without help holding him, so when I am alone I've been using
> an ear-thermometer. When I google about its accuracy I see what amounts
> to advertisements, saying how accurate it is. However, when I ask the
> vets (I've been to a number of them over the past 2 weeks), I get mixed
> feedback.
>
> I tried comparing ear and rectal results, but with my situation where
> the cat's temp is so spiky (it is all over the place), I am still not
> confident because his temp seems to change minute by minute.
>
> Anyone else here have opinions on them? Do they tend to read higher or
> lower in other people's experience? I was really shocked yesterday when
> it read a temp of 106.5, which is an emergency, then a short time later
> as I prepared to respond to the emergency a rectal read 105.5. However,
> other times it seems to match more closely.
>
> Going crazy here, any feedback would be appreciated.

Your vet will test the ear-type for you (ours does at no cost) and
tell you the differential, if any, between it and a rectal
thermometer. They will also show you how to place it so that it is
most effective. Once that is done, you may use it safely and with a
level of trust in what it is telling you.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA