PDA

View Full Version : Brushing Teeth


LauraM[_2_]
February 12th 09, 02:53 AM
Hi all -

Do you all brush your kitty's teeth? I've been doing this now for a
couple weeks, three times a week, and I've noticed I have a hard time
getting to the lower back teeth. I use turkey flavored toothpaste
from the vet and a kitty toothbrush. For the lowers, I've been
dipping a q-tip in some kitty mouthwash and trying to at least get
back there with the q-tip.

Does anyone have a trick they use for getting at the lower back teeth?

cybercat
February 12th 09, 02:58 AM
"LauraM" > wrote in message
...
> Hi all -
>
> Do you all brush your kitty's teeth? I've been doing this now for a
> couple weeks, three times a week, and I've noticed I have a hard time
> getting to the lower back teeth. I use turkey flavored toothpaste
> from the vet and a kitty toothbrush. For the lowers, I've been
> dipping a q-tip in some kitty mouthwash and trying to at least get
> back there with the q-tip.
>
> Does anyone have a trick they use for getting at the lower back teeth?

What kind of toothbrush are you using? And if the toothpaste is the usual
enzymatic toothpast used by most vets, you really don't need to brush so
much as apply.

LauraM[_2_]
February 12th 09, 05:23 PM
On Feb 11, 5:58*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
> > Hi all -
>
> > Do you all brush your kitty's teeth? *I've been doing this now for a
> > couple weeks, three times a week, and I've noticed I have a hard time
> > getting to the lower back teeth. *I use turkey flavored toothpaste
> > from the vet and a kitty toothbrush. *For the lowers, I've been
> > dipping a q-tip in some kitty mouthwash and trying to at least get
> > back there with the q-tip.
>
> > Does anyone have a trick they use for getting at the lower back teeth?
>
> What kind of toothbrush are you using? And if the toothpaste is the usual
> enzymatic toothpast used by most vets, you really don't need to brush so
> much as apply.

It's a little black one with black bristles I got from the vet. It
doesn't have a brand name, just the vet's name (of course). Hmpf.
The toothpaste is enzymatic, so perhaps I could use the q-tip to apply
it on the lowers. I thought I needed to brush. I'll give that a
whirl.

Hobbes has crummy gums just like his mommy. I'm tired of spending
hundreds of dollars getting his teeth cleaned at the vet, so if I can
do it at home...

But by the time I take care of all of his needs....I'm laughing
here.....feeding the wet food making sure I make some gravy out of
part of it, then add the Mirilax, then give him a small amount of lax
aire, brush his teeth, play with him, well...you get the picture. :)

cybercat
February 12th 09, 05:42 PM
"LauraM" > wrote:
>
> What kind of toothbrush are you using? And if the toothpaste is the usual
> enzymatic toothpast used by most vets, you really don't need to brush so
> much as apply.

>It's a little black one with black bristles I got from the vet. It
>doesn't have a brand name, just the vet's name (of course). Hmpf.

I just wondered if it had a long handle or was the rubber kind you put on
your finger. I hate the latter as you have to stick your fingers in the
cat's mouth to get to the teeth.
>The toothpaste is enzymatic, so perhaps I could use the q-tip to apply
>it on the lowers. I thought I needed to brush. I'll give that a
>whirl.

I had asked my vet the same question you did here and that is what he said.
Just apply it.

>Hobbes has crummy gums just like his mommy. I'm tired of spending
>hundreds of dollars getting his teeth cleaned at the vet, so if I can
>do it at home...

>But by the time I take care of all of his needs....I'm laughing
>here.....feeding the wet food making sure I make some gravy out of
>part of it, then add the Mirilax, then give him a small amount of lax
>aire, brush his teeth, play with him, well...you get the picture. :)

You're a great cat mom! Ask your vet about stuff to put in Hobbes' water.
It's an antibacterial stuff, a teaspoon to a eight ounces, that helps keep
their mouths clean. I think you really need another thing to do for Hobbes!!
;)