PDA

View Full Version : safe product to deter scratching on leather?

Lynne
February 16th 09, 05:27 AM
Howdy y'all! Long time no me. I hope the trolls and idiots have been
quiet, or that the smack downs have at least been satisfying.

Rudy has taken to scratching the leather furniture. I have put tall,
sisal scratching posts at every corner (yes, that's a lot with 2
couches, 1 that is alway from the wall, and a chair), but the little
**** goes around them half the time. I've tried all the other stuff...
catnip on the posts, trimming his nails, shaking a can of pennies,
putting a variety of scratchers out and around, but he's still doing
some damage.

I must not be very bright because I'm about to take delivery of brand
new leather sofas. I'm wondering what scratch deterrents are safe on
leather. I'd like to try them on the old furniture while it's still
here. The tape stuff for clawing is marked as not safe for leather, so
are all the sprays I've found (so far). Does anyone have any first-hand
experience here, with a product that works but that won't harm leather?

Obviously there is no risk of Rudy suddenly losing his home, or his
toes. I'd cut off my own right arm before I gave him up or let someone
mutilate him, but I'd like to keep him from scratching the new
furniture. Remember, this is the same cat that can unlock and open
doors... His recent quest to tear up the furniture has been quite
impressive! I am convinced he is doing this to punish me. If I take
too long to get his meals served up, he will go right around the dang
scratching posts and go at the leather.

By the way, Levi is doing really well. No bladder crystals and no
outbreaks of herpes in a while. Both boys are slim and trim and active
and driving me nuts, in a good way.

Petzl
February 16th 09, 06:20 AM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:27:33 -0500, Lynne
> wrote:

>Howdy y'all! Long time no me. I hope the trolls and idiots have been
>quiet, or that the smack downs have at least been satisfying.
>
>Rudy has taken to scratching the leather furniture. I have put tall,
>sisal scratching posts at every corner (yes, that's a lot with 2
>couches, 1 that is alway from the wall, and a chair), but the little
>**** goes around them half the time. I've tried all the other stuff...
>catnip on the posts, trimming his nails, shaking a can of pennies,
>putting a variety of scratchers out and around, but he's still doing
>some damage.
>
>I must not be very bright because I'm about to take delivery of brand
>new leather sofas. I'm wondering what scratch deterrents are safe on
>leather. I'd like to try them on the old furniture while it's still
>here. The tape stuff for clawing is marked as not safe for leather, so
>are all the sprays I've found (so far). Does anyone have any first-hand
>experience here, with a product that works but that won't harm leather?
>
>Obviously there is no risk of Rudy suddenly losing his home, or his
>toes. I'd cut off my own right arm before I gave him up or let someone
>mutilate him, but I'd like to keep him from scratching the new
>furniture. Remember, this is the same cat that can unlock and open
>doors... His recent quest to tear up the furniture has been quite
>impressive! I am convinced he is doing this to punish me. If I take
>too long to get his meals served up, he will go right around the dang
>scratching posts and go at the leather.
>
>By the way, Levi is doing really well. No bladder crystals and no
>outbreaks of herpes in a while. Both boys are slim and trim and active
>and driving me nuts, in a good way.

I just put up with scratched leather

I saw on Utube some guy who put cat claw covers over his cats claws
Mean Kitty song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo&hl=un
The plastic claw sleeves were on a "sparta update" but can't find it

Googled and found this
http://life.familyeducation.com/cats/animal-care/45697.html
Claw Covers
Another alternative to declawing is to have soft plastic covers
applied to your cat's claws about once a month. Your vet or a groomer
can apply them, or you can do it yourself.

Claw covers can be useful for preventing destructive scratching while
training or retraining appropriate behavior. A set lasts about a
month, and if they're properly applied, your cat won't be able to
remove them.

Petzl
--
I am.You are.We are Australian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSoGJQkKDYk&hl=un

Lynne
February 16th 09, 07:09 AM
Petzl wrote:

> I just put up with scratched leather
>
> I saw on Utube some guy who put cat claw covers over his cats claws
> Mean Kitty song
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo&hl=un
> The plastic claw sleeves were on a "sparta update" but can't find it
>
> Googled and found this
> http://life.familyeducation.com/cats/animal-care/45697.html
> Claw Covers
> Another alternative to declawing is to have soft plastic covers
> applied to your cat's claws about once a month. Your vet or a groomer
> can apply them, or you can do it yourself.
>
> Claw covers can be useful for preventing destructive scratching while
> training or retraining appropriate behavior. A set lasts about a
> month, and if they're properly applied, your cat won't be able to
> remove them.

Oh, you must be talking about soft paws. I considered those, but I'm
thinking those would be frustrating for him to wear, never being able to
get a good scratch in. I want a product I can put on the leather that
will deter him so he will stick to the the scratching posts. Oh, and
the new hand tufted wool rug. He really likes that! *sigh*

Petzl
February 16th 09, 07:26 AM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 02:09:28 -0500, Lynne
> wrote:

>Petzl wrote:
>>
>> I just put up with scratched leather
>>
>> I saw on Utube some guy who put cat claw covers over his cats claws
>> Mean Kitty song
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo&hl=un
>> The plastic claw sleeves were on a "sparta update" but can't find it
>>
>> Googled and found this
>> http://life.familyeducation.com/cats/animal-care/45697.html
>> Claw Covers
>> Another alternative to declawing is to have soft plastic covers
>> applied to your cat's claws about once a month. Your vet or a groomer
>> can apply them, or you can do it yourself.
>>
>> Claw covers can be useful for preventing destructive scratching while
>> training or retraining appropriate behavior. A set lasts about a
>> month, and if they're properly applied, your cat won't be able to
>> remove them.
>
>Oh, you must be talking about soft paws. I considered those, but I'm
>thinking those would be frustrating for him to wear, never being able to
>get a good scratch in. I want a product I can put on the leather that
>will deter him so he will stick to the the scratching posts. Oh, and
>the new hand tufted wool rug. He really likes that! *sigh*

Soft paws is it
google gives
http://tinyurl.com/cnucdz
and in a range of colors

--
Petzl
Battle Hymn of the Republic

Rene S.
February 16th 09, 02:03 PM
On Feb 15, 11:27*pm, Lynne > wrote:
> Howdy y'all! *Long time no me. *I hope the trolls and idiots have been
> quiet, or that the smack downs have at least been satisfying.
>
> Rudy has taken to scratching the leather furniture. *I have put tall,
> sisal scratching posts at every corner (yes, that's a lot with 2
> couches, 1 that is alway from the wall, and a chair), but the little
> **** goes around them half the time. *I've tried all the other stuff...
> catnip on the posts, trimming his nails, shaking a can of pennies,
> putting a variety of scratchers out and around, but he's still doing
> some damage.

Have you tried something simple, like draping a sheet over that part
of the couch, or putting a clear carpet runner, wrong side up?

Does he use his other scratchers regularly? He shouldn't be scratching
the leather if he has a preferred surface. Our youngest (five months)
wasn't happy with most of our scratchers, so I bit the bullet and
bought the Ultimate Cat Scratcher: http://www.esmartcat.com/shopping/Ultimate_Scratching_Post.htm

She adores it, and it's a serious piece of furniture. I recommend it.

Petzl
February 16th 09, 11:39 PM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:26:11 +1100, Petzl > wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 02:09:28 -0500, Lynne
> wrote:
>
>>Petzl wrote:
>>>
>>> I just put up with scratched leather
>>>
>>> I saw on Utube some guy who put cat claw covers over his cats claws
>>> Mean Kitty song
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo&hl=un
>>> The plastic claw sleeves were on a "sparta update" but can't find it
>>>
>>> Googled and found this
>>> http://life.familyeducation.com/cats/animal-care/45697.html
>>> Claw Covers
>>> Another alternative to declawing is to have soft plastic covers
>>> applied to your cat's claws about once a month. Your vet or a groomer
>>> can apply them, or you can do it yourself.
>>>
>>> Claw covers can be useful for preventing destructive scratching while
>>> training or retraining appropriate behavior. A set lasts about a
>>> month, and if they're properly applied, your cat won't be able to
>>> remove them.
>>
>>Oh, you must be talking about soft paws. I considered those, but I'm
>>thinking those would be frustrating for him to wear, never being able to
>>get a good scratch in. I want a product I can put on the leather that
>>will deter him so he will stick to the the scratching posts. Oh, and
>>the new hand tufted wool rug. He really likes that! *sigh*
>
>Soft paws is it
>google gives
>http://tinyurl.com/cnucdz
>and in a range of colors

I think it need not be permanent just give you time to dissuade the
cat from scratching leather

As cat is doing this in a mooching exercise you need to whack it one
between the eyes

A whacking tool is something that won't hurt cat but make a fair
noise. A good one is the soft hollow cardboard roll from the center of
a Paper Tower or cling wrap roll.

It's not the force of the whack that counts, it's the noise, you can
also do the loud NO same time. This roll should fit easily out of the
way beside you. Again it need only be more of a tap than a whack but
the louder noise it makes the better

Bet you only have to do this once followed by a good loving snuggle
and a brush to reassure cat. leave the "tool" by the couch/chair and
cat should avoid it

Tapping this roll on your hand when you see it scratching other
inappropriate objects will from then on alert cat "it's not on" stop

Anyhow see what others think of this approach?

Petzl
--
FREEDOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M17qFKXSMiw&hl=un

cybercat
February 17th 09, 12:17 AM
"Petzl" > wrote
> As cat is doing this in a mooching exercise you need to whack it one
> between the eyes
>
> A whacking tool is something that won't hurt cat but make a fair
> noise. A good one is the soft hollow cardboard roll from the center of
> a Paper Tower or cling wrap roll.
>
> It's not the force of the whack that counts, it's the noise, you can
> also do the loud NO same time.

Right. It is never necessary, and it is never, ever advisable to hit a cat.

Petzl
February 17th 09, 12:32 AM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:17:03 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Petzl" > wrote
>> As cat is doing this in a mooching exercise you need to whack it one
>> between the eyes
>>
>> A whacking tool is something that won't hurt cat but make a fair
>> noise. A good one is the soft hollow cardboard roll from the center of
>> a Paper Tower or cling wrap roll.
>>
>> It's not the force of the whack that counts, it's the noise, you can
>> also do the loud NO same time.
>
>Right. It is never necessary, and it is never, ever advisable to hit a cat.

And I've got to agree

Petzl
--
I am.You are.We are Australian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSoGJQkKDYk&hl=un

cybercat
February 17th 09, 01:03 AM
"Petzl" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:17:03 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Petzl" > wrote
>>> As cat is doing this in a mooching exercise you need to whack it one
>>> between the eyes
>>>
>>> A whacking tool is something that won't hurt cat but make a fair
>>> noise. A good one is the soft hollow cardboard roll from the center of
>>> a Paper Tower or cling wrap roll.
>>>
>>> It's not the force of the whack that counts, it's the noise, you can
>>> also do the loud NO same time.
>>
>>Right. It is never necessary, and it is never, ever advisable to hit a
>>cat.
>>
> And I've got to agree

:) If only because, you can see them thinking, "you have to sleep some time,
asshole."

Cheryl
February 17th 09, 02:46 AM
"Rene S." > wrote in message

Have you tried something simple, like draping a sheet over that part
of the couch, or putting a clear carpet runner, wrong side up?

Does he use his other scratchers regularly? He shouldn't be scratching
the leather if he has a preferred surface. Our youngest (five months)
wasn't happy with most of our scratchers, so I bit the bullet and
bought the Ultimate Cat Scratcher:
http://www.esmartcat.com/shopping/Ultimate_Scratching_Post.htm

She adores it, and it's a serious piece of furniture. I recommend it.

====================================

I have one like that, and it isn't as tall. Only 2' tall, but everyone loves
it. They stretch to scratch on it by lowering their hind legs and arching
their backs while stretching to scratch. The size of it allows me to move
it where it's needed, and I do as I read here, move it to favorite corners
of the furniture. Works for us.

Lynne
February 17th 09, 04:56 AM
Rene S. wrote:

> Have you tried something simple, like draping a sheet over that part
> of the couch, or putting a clear carpet runner, wrong side up?
>
> Does he use his other scratchers regularly? He shouldn't be scratching
> the leather if he has a preferred surface. Our youngest (five months)
> wasn't happy with most of our scratchers, so I bit the bullet and
> bought the Ultimate Cat Scratcher: http://www.esmartcat.com/shopping/Ultimate_Scratching_Post.htm
>
> She adores it, and it's a serious piece of furniture. I recommend it.

I have 8 scratchers just like that. Plus a big tree, multi-level
climbing condo dealie, and several different horizontal scratchers.
Rudy uses them all, but he still goes for the couches sometimes. He's
probably thinking, "wheeeeee! Variety!!"

I've gotten some great advice in this thread, and I appreciate it -
thank you all - but I still want to know if there is a product I can use
on the leather that will deter him. Something that won't hurt it (or
the cats, of course). I trim his nails at least twice a month, he still
causes damage. I will not spray him with water, or hit him (of course).
And as to covering up the furniture with sheets, that's not an option.
I like sitting on the leather. I like the way it feels and the way it
looks, or else I wouldn't have bought it. It's our living room, we use
it all the time. Not just for company, it's for living. The dogs like
it, too. :-)

Sooooo if anyone knows of a product I can spray on the leather that is
effective and safe, please let me know. Even if its label advises
against using it on leather, if you've tried it with no damage, I want
to know. Thanks!

Rene S.
February 17th 09, 08:56 PM
> * And as to covering up the furniture with sheets, that's not an option..
> * I like sitting on the leather. *I like the way it feels and the way it
> looks, or else I wouldn't have bought it. *It's our living room, we use
> it all the time. *Not just for company, it's for living. *The dogs like
> it, too. *:-)

FWIW, my suggestions for using a sheet and/or carpet runner were meant
to be used when you were not on the furniture. I understand that it's
meant to be used, and these items are easily removed before lounging.

cybercat
February 17th 09, 10:52 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message

>FWIW, my suggestions for using a sheet and/or carpet runner were meant
>to be used when you were not on the furniture. I understand that it's
>meant to be used, and these items are easily removed before lounging.

I'd cover it with a sheet and find the scratchers kitty cannot resist and
place them near. Then kick myself for not covering it when I forget.

Lynne
February 18th 09, 12:42 AM
cybercat wrote:

> I'd cover it with a sheet and find the scratchers kitty cannot resist and
> place them near. Then kick myself for not covering it when I forget.

LOL !!

cybercat
February 18th 09, 01:29 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> I'd cover it with a sheet and find the scratchers kitty cannot resist and
>> place them near. Then kick myself for not covering it when I forget.
>
> LOL !!

Hi there! Nice to see you posting again.

Lynne
February 18th 09, 03:01 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Hi there! Nice to see you posting again.

You may see more of me... they are both out of control NUTS lately!
They act like they are always starving, even though they get the same
amount of food every day, at the same time. God I could set my watch by
them. Now they are both healthy and lean and active and tearing up the
place. Things were quieter when Rudy was fat, hehe.

bartlet
February 24th 09, 02:57 PM
On Feb 16, 12:27*am, Lynne > wrote:

> By the way, Levi is doing really well. *No bladder crystals and no
> outbreaks of herpes in a while. *Both boys are slim and trim and active
> and driving me nuts, in a good way.

i hope this ain't you

but anyway

let them scratch till the cows come home
cause when their gone, you don't care

youll be sitting there looking at the shiny couch (it's not like it's
real leather anyway) all choked up cause the cats gone

and, yule see an image of you detering her from having a blast
sharpening her claws

get rid of the cat if she can't be a cat

whied you get her? something to pet on?

give the cat the couch
she's earned it

cats have done more for you, than anything

stupid couch

cybercat
February 24th 09, 03:01 PM
"bartlet" > wrote in message
On Feb 16, 12:27 am, Lynne > wrote:

> By the way, Levi is doing really well. No bladder crystals and no
> outbreaks of herpes in a while. Both boys are slim and trim and active
> and driving me nuts, in a good way.

i hope this ain't you

but anyway

let them scratch till the cows come home
cause when their gone, you don't care

youll be sitting there looking at the shiny couch (it's not like it's
real leather anyway) all choked up cause the cats gone

and, yule see an image of you detering her from having a blast
sharpening her claws

get rid of the cat if she can't be a cat

whied you get her? something to pet on?

give the cat the couch
she's earned it

cats have done more for you, than anything

stupid couch

*******************

I don't really think anyone thinks this is cute any more. But you can keep
trying.

bartlet
February 26th 09, 03:30 PM
**

On Feb 24, 10:01*am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I don't really think anyone thinks this is cute any more. But you can keep
> trying.

I am sorry for you, if your cat crossed over.
very sorry about that.

I read another post, you mention, dh removed some of your cats
personal affects
and how helpful that was

well, I am sorry for you, about your cat

Thoughts in Purrs

cyberpurrs
February 26th 09, 08:21 PM
"bartlet" > wrote in message
**

On Feb 24, 10:01 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I don't really think anyone thinks this is cute any more. But you can keep
> trying.

>I am sorry for you, if your cat crossed over.

She's fine. Because I caught it early, and paid for the surgery the next
day, the tumor came out and it was benign. That was July. No further
problems. It cost $350 total.

>very sorry about that.

>I read another post, you mention, dh removed some of your cats
personal affects
and how helpful that was

>well, I am sorry for you, about your cat

If you gave a **** you would have followed the thread, Barry. I realize
you've had good luck conning stupid cat women in this group, so I expect you
will continue trying. Just don't shovel any bull**** my way. It's a waste of
your resources.

Lynne
March 1st 09, 04:09 PM
cybercat wrote:

> I don't really think anyone thinks this is cute any more. But you can keep
> trying.

he's still a F'N idiot

cybercat
March 1st 09, 05:33 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> cybercat wrote:
>

>> I don't really think anyone thinks this is cute any more. But you can
>> keep trying.
>

> he's still a F'N idiot

I should have listened to you the first time. I am a bigger idiot than he
is. He's at least smart enough to manipulate.

Lynne
March 2nd 09, 01:54 AM
cybercat wrote:

> I should have listened to you the first time. I am a bigger idiot than he
> is. He's at least smart enough to manipulate.

There's no shame in being trusting and kind. That is what manipulative,
lying, using SOB's like him count on... good people to take advantage
of. Live and learn, right?

cybercat
March 2nd 09, 02:25 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> I should have listened to you the first time. I am a bigger idiot than he
>> is. He's at least smart enough to manipulate.
>
> There's no shame in being trusting and kind. That is what manipulative,
> lying, using SOB's like him count on... good people to take advantage of.
> Live and learn, right?

Right. Thank you.

Lynne
March 14th 09, 09:00 PM
well I came up with an interesting and effective solution all by my
lonesome! I purchased some of those plastic carpet protectors with the
spikes on the bottom, and fashioned "arm covers" out of them with the
spikes sticking out. They sit on the corners of the couch in the areas
where the cats like to scratch (both on the arms and the back corners of
the one couch that floats). They are pretty sturdy so I was able to
cut, bend and staple them into form fitting covers without having to do
a thing to the leather. I can remove them just by lifting them off when
I want to. The cats are both using the heck out of the scratchers now,
and hopefully I will be able to remove the protection after a few months
and they will have successfully been "trained." Woot!