PDA

View Full Version : Please consider being a "sponsor mom or dad"

MaryL
February 22nd 09, 08:11 PM
Untold thousands of perfectly healthy cats and dogs are euthanized every
year because there are not enough people to adopt them (and the primary
blame, in my opinion, is failure of people to spay or neuter their pets).
One great help is when people agree to foster and socialize pets even when
they do not plan to adopt. We have a cat rescue group in our community that
has done a wonderful job of finding foster homes until the animals can be
adopted. However, it is expensive. They check references, investigate
homes, provide food and veterinary care, and arrange for adoptions. I have
been donating to this group for several years. A couple of years ago, I
also paid for vetting, immunization, and other necesseties for two cats that
otherwise would not have survived. I began to call myself a "sponsor mom."
At the time, I thought I was creating the term, but I have since seen it in
a number of places on the Internet--so, once again, I wasn't being
"original" at all.

I have sponsored several cats since that time. My purpose in writing is to
encourage some of you to do the same thing. Rescue groups can often find
more people willing to foster than they have money to support, so something
like this is a way that we can benefit our furry friends even if we do not
adopt or foster.

MaryL

Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

bartlet
February 23rd 09, 07:12 PM
On Feb 22, 2:11*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> Untold thousands of perfectly healthy cats and dogs are euthanized every
> year because there are not enough people to adopt them (and the primary
> blame, in my opinion, is failure of people to spay or neuter their pets).

This makes sense.

I also think, education is key

if Americans could see the suffering up close, they would want their
pet desexed

so... we educate them, they see the need, but then, they simply can't
afford the procedure

so, education is one thing, and then, availability is another, or
accessibilty

something like that

FREE DESEXING TO ALL CATS AND DOGS

Mary, It is a huge problem
I see education as being the first problem
and, then, making it affordable.

we all know, that folk with money, have already desexed their pets
so... we should be honest with ourselves and say it's an education and
affordabilityi problem

i gotta go

Poe
February 23rd 09, 07:46 PM
bartlet wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2:11 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>> Untold thousands of perfectly healthy cats and dogs are euthanized every
>> year because there are not enough people to adopt them (and the primary
>> blame, in my opinion, is failure of people to spay or neuter their pets).
>
> This makes sense.
>
> I also think, education is key
>
> if Americans could see the suffering up close, they would want their
> pet desexed
>
> so... we educate them, they see the need, but then, they simply can't
> afford the procedure
>
> so, education is one thing, and then, availability is another, or
> accessibilty
>
> something like that
>
> FREE DESEXING TO ALL CATS AND DOGS
>
> Mary, It is a huge problem
> I see education as being the first problem
> and, then, making it affordable.
>
> we all know, that folk with money, have already desexed their pets
> so... we should be honest with ourselves and say it's an education and
> affordabilityi problem
>
> i gotta go

I think a big problem is that many people just don't care. They have
cats in the barn dropping litter after litter and they don't care about
the kittens, their mama, or any of it. No vet care at all, no shots, no
issues if a male comes along to kill one litter to replace with his own.
At least that's what I see a lot of here in Ohio, unfortunately.

MaryL
February 23rd 09, 08:17 PM
"Poe" > wrote in message
> bartlet wrote:
>> On Feb 22, 2:11 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
>> wrote:
>>> Untold thousands of perfectly healthy cats and dogs are euthanized every
>>> year because there are not enough people to adopt them (and the primary
>>> blame, in my opinion, is failure of people to spay or neuter their
>>> pets).
>>
>> This makes sense.
>>
>> I also think, education is key
>>
>> if Americans could see the suffering up close, they would want their
>> pet desexed
>>
>> so... we educate them, they see the need, but then, they simply can't
>> afford the procedure
>>
>> so, education is one thing, and then, availability is another, or
>> accessibilty
>>
>> something like that
>>
>> FREE DESEXING TO ALL CATS AND DOGS
>>
>> Mary, It is a huge problem
>> I see education as being the first problem
>> and, then, making it affordable.
>>
>> we all know, that folk with money, have already desexed their pets
>> so... we should be honest with ourselves and say it's an education and
>> affordabilityi problem
>>
>> i gotta go
>

> I think a big problem is that many people just don't care. They have cats
> in the barn dropping litter after litter and they don't care about the
> kittens, their mama, or any of it. No vet care at all, no shots, no issues
> if a male comes along to kill one litter to replace with his own. At least
> that's what I see a lot of here in Ohio, unfortunately.

Yes, that's also what I see. Affordability can be an issue, but it is a far
bigger problem than that. Many people just don't want to be bothered.
Others say it's "unnatural," and then there the ones who say they want the
children to witness "the miracle of birth" (but supposedly not the "miracle"
of death). I do agree that affordability is a major problem for many
people, but there are many who do not take advantage even when we have
greatly reduced (and sometimes free) spay/neuter clinics.

MaryL

bartlet
February 24th 09, 04:06 PM
On Feb 23, 2:17*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>

> but there are many who do not take advantage even when we have
> greatly reduced (and sometimes free) spay/neuter clinics.
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

so it's back to education

on the Price is Right, BB, used to say, have your pet s+n
that was cool

pat sajack used to promote the same

more and more, people are being called on the carpet for animal, or
pet neglect

Personally, I think the future holds good things, for cats. or dogs.

It's a suffering, that we can end. It's just going to take the right
president.
That's all.

Now, Noah? he was kind to animals. All sorts of animals.