PDA

View Full Version : Why do cats hate riding in a car but dogs love it?

stonej
February 25th 09, 02:25 AM
I know that is a generalization but for the most part it appears to be
true.

dejablues[_4_]
February 25th 09, 04:55 AM
"stonej" > wrote in message
>I know that is a generalization but for the most part it appears to be
> true.

Cats are territorial, are most comfortable in their own surroundings, and
do not like to leave those surroundings. Cars are loud, noisy and scary.
and cats hate loud noisy and scary things. Cats are not dogs and do not
enjoy the same activities as dogs do.

That said, some cats enjoy riding in cars, and some dogs do not.

cybercat
February 25th 09, 07:55 AM
"stonej" > wrote in message
>I know that is a generalization but for the most part it appears to be
> true.

Do you have a cat? Do you have a dog? If so, do you notice a difference in
how your cat reacts to loud sounds?

Spot[_2_]
February 25th 09, 02:37 PM
Most people don't routinely take cats in a car and they never get used to
them. I had a cat years ago who on a weekly basis traveled from my home to
my parents every weekend. We did that from the time he was a tiny kitten
and he was used to it. I would load the car up put him in it and he'd
stretch out on the back seat ledge and ride there the whole way home.

Later on I had another cat along with Meowzer who traveled the country with
us when we were with the carnival. It was the same thing they were both
used to it from the time they were kittens. They either rode in the truck
with us or in the camper. I used to have people come up to me at stops and
tell me they were behind us and the cats were laying on the back window
ledge watching them.

Celeste

--
Get 600 FREE 4X6 prints and 600 FREE 5x7 prints
sign up for Artscow

Save 25% or more on your eBayŽ auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip
http://www.bidnip.com/a.php?id=39019

"stonej" > wrote in message
>I know that is a generalization but for the most part it appears to be
> true.

February 25th 09, 04:05 PM
On Feb 24, 8:25*pm, stonej > wrote:
> I know that is a generalization but for the most part it appears to be
> true.

It is all in accordance with their experience. Dogs that are not
acclimated to vehicles routinely get carsick. Cats that are not
acclimated react in any of several ways, mostly badly. Our big guy has
traveled so much that he 'knows the drill' when his official FAA-
approved carrier comes out. He gets right in and settles down. The
younger cat is more skittish, but has traveled only to and from the
vet (10 minutes) after he traveled from the Rescue to us.

We have found that as long as either can see us, or see what is going
on, they remain calm and quiet. We never let the cats free in the
vehicles - even the older one who would be just fine - and we also
anchor their carriers so they cannot be thrown around in case of an
accident or sudden stop.

On a side note, both our cats are fascinated with vehicles, especially
our VW camper. If a window or the sunroof is open, we will find them
sleeping or exploring inside. We know to check before we go anywhere
that there are no stow-aways if we have left them means to get in.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

LauraM[_2_]
February 25th 09, 09:07 PM
On Feb 24, 5:25*pm, stonej > wrote:
> I know that is a generalization but for the most part it appears to be
> true.

Most every weekend my husband, me and the cat go to our house in the
California foothills. In the beginning, Hobbes did not like to travel
and I had to tranquilize him because he got car sick. That only
lasted for a month or two because he quickly got used to the motion.

Now, he loves getting in his cage to go to the house. I have a furry
pad in his cage and kneads the pad as I take him to the car. Once we
get going, he sleeps the entire time snoring here and there along the
way. Boy, does he have a loud snore!

Whether or not he likes it....I don't know. All I know is that he
walks into his cage without me touching him at all, so I'm assuming he
likes it on some level.

Peg Caldwell-Ott
February 28th 09, 03:29 AM
Amaretto (may he rest in peace) adored the car! He would settle
himself (usually on the back seat ledge) to stretch out and sun
himself. Alino, his half brother--who is still alive and doing well
at 18.5 years old--absolutely hated it!! He would hiss and cry and
scream to anyone who would listen!! He would tire after about an hour
of screaming, and settle himself, usually inside the scratching post
tunnel that we always had on the back seat (along with a small litter
box, food and water and lots of blankets), but would start all over
again the minute we stopped for any reason.

We no longer have our car--gave it up when we moved into the City back
in 1994--but Alino still hates to ride in taxis. He still screams and
crys. In fact, we are convinced that he might have a heart attack in
a taxi, so we now insist that the vet comes to see us here at home. It
is much easier on Alino overall!!

Oddly enough, both Alino and our latest kitty, Pemberton, now re-act
to the apartment building elevator in much the same way as Alino used
to react to the car--screaming and crying the minute the elevator door
opens. Fortunately, the ride downstairs is a short one since we live
on the 3rd floor of a 16 story building!!

Bestest,

Peg

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:25:42 -0800 (PST), stonej