PDA

View Full Version : Cat suddenly throwing up after environment change

jamina1
February 26th 09, 02:43 PM
Hello everyone -

I have two cats, and one of them is acting somewhat weird. I'm not
concerned yet enough to take her to the vet, but I am somewhat
worried.

Basically, recently I donated one of my couches to the Salvation Army.
Cat in question enjoyed hiding under said couch. Now that the couch is
gone, I think she is depressed. Recently - the past 4 days or so - she
has been more lethargic than normal, and the past two days she has
started throwing up. She is only throwing up saliva in very small
amounts - no food.
Also her nose is dry and her ears aren't warm, but they aren't as cold
as I'd like them to be.

This concerns me because she *never* throws up.

I know they were sort of unhappy with their food also, so I switched
back to Purina, which they enjoyed - I did this to help lessen the
stress from their environment changes. One cat is in fine health, the
other seems... depressed?

Is there anything I can do, or should I take her to the vet?

cybercat
February 26th 09, 02:50 PM
"jamina1" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone -
>
> I have two cats, and one of them is acting somewhat weird. I'm not
> concerned yet enough to take her to the vet, but I am somewhat
> worried.
>
> Basically, recently I donated one of my couches to the Salvation Army.
> Cat in question enjoyed hiding under said couch. Now that the couch is
> gone, I think she is depressed.

She needs to be seen by the vet first, to make sure there is not something
serious going on. Cats get into deadly trouble fast when they stop eating
enough, and decline quickly. This can happen just because they got their
feelings hurt, because they have a sore tooth, whatever. Don't wait. A basic
exam is maybe $40, right? And it might save her life.

Did you get another couch? Does she have other hiding places? Have you had a
talk with her, looked into her eyes and asked her what the problem is?
And--if you are only feeding dry, get some canned food. That should perk her
right up.

bartlet
February 26th 09, 03:18 PM
On Feb 26, 9:43*am, jamina1 > wrote:
> Hello everyone -
>
> I have two cats, and one of them is acting somewhat weird. I'm not
> concerned yet enough to take her to the vet

> Is there anything I can do, or should I take her to the vet?

you under-estimate how important her hiding place was

so. back to block one

but be careful, if cats crawl up into a sofa, they could get killed
if say.. a husband, or a mother-n-law with a big butt sits on it

obviously, a chill pill from the vet, would be nice

but other than her nerves and feeling outted from her retreat

so long as she's eating, why not, take the $40 the vet would get
and, buy a few cat things, special food, small toys

BUT BE SURE to give her a cool place to retreat to
it's very important

I am convinced, this hiding thing is essential to a cat's emo health

somehow

MaryL
February 26th 09, 03:48 PM
"jamina1" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone -
>
> I have two cats, and one of them is acting somewhat weird. I'm not
> concerned yet enough to take her to the vet, but I am somewhat
> worried.
>
> Basically, recently I donated one of my couches to the Salvation Army.
> Cat in question enjoyed hiding under said couch. Now that the couch is
> gone, I think she is depressed. Recently - the past 4 days or so - she
> has been more lethargic than normal, and the past two days she has
> started throwing up. She is only throwing up saliva in very small
> amounts - no food.
> Also her nose is dry and her ears aren't warm, but they aren't as cold
> as I'd like them to be.
>
> This concerns me because she *never* throws up.
>
> I know they were sort of unhappy with their food also, so I switched
> back to Purina, which they enjoyed - I did this to help lessen the
> stress from their environment changes. One cat is in fine health, the
> other seems... depressed?
>
> Is there anything I can do, or should I take her to the vet?

I would take her to a vet to have her evaluated. You are assuming that she
is depressed because she lost a favorite hiding place. That may be true,
but it also could be coincidence--and cats that are sick can decline *very*
quickly.

MaryL

Poe
February 26th 09, 04:10 PM
jamina1 wrote:
> Hello everyone -
>
> I have two cats, and one of them is acting somewhat weird. I'm not
> concerned yet enough to take her to the vet, but I am somewhat
> worried.
>
> Basically, recently I donated one of my couches to the Salvation Army.
> Cat in question enjoyed hiding under said couch. Now that the couch is
> gone, I think she is depressed. Recently - the past 4 days or so - she
> has been more lethargic than normal, and the past two days she has
> started throwing up. She is only throwing up saliva in very small
> amounts - no food.
> Also her nose is dry and her ears aren't warm, but they aren't as cold
> as I'd like them to be.
>
> This concerns me because she *never* throws up.
>
> I know they were sort of unhappy with their food also, so I switched
> back to Purina, which they enjoyed - I did this to help lessen the
> stress from their environment changes. One cat is in fine health, the
> other seems... depressed?
>
> Is there anything I can do, or should I take her to the vet?

Is the cat taking in food and water? It may not be eating, thus not
throwing up food. If she's not taking in fluids dehydration can set in
very quickly, after which organs can begin to fail. It can snowball
really fast. My cat started vomiting on a Saturday night into Sunday (a
few weeks ago), and by Monday when I took him to the vet he was already
getting dehydrated. He ended up with IVs and all sorts of things, he was
very sick - hopefully that's not the case here. But I'd take your cat
into the vet. Being lethargic is another sign she's sick, and the vet
can get the vitals and hopefully a quick diagnosis. In the mean time
check to see if she's dehydrated by bunching the skin/fur at the neck
like a tent, then let it go. It should snap back into place without
delay. If it goes back slowly, or stays sort of tented (is that a
word?), she's dehydrated. If so I'd get to the vet ASAP during the day,
before it becomes an emergency ($$).

February 26th 09, 05:40 PM
I do not think the couch and her vomiting are related. I think the
timing is purely coincidental. I personally would call your vet today
and get her in. What looks like 'depression' to you could actually
mean she is feelling quite ill.

Bill Graham
February 27th 09, 01:29 AM
"jamina1" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone -
>
> I have two cats, and one of them is acting somewhat weird. I'm not
> concerned yet enough to take her to the vet, but I am somewhat
> worried.
>
> Basically, recently I donated one of my couches to the Salvation Army.
> Cat in question enjoyed hiding under said couch. Now that the couch is
> gone, I think she is depressed. Recently - the past 4 days or so - she
> has been more lethargic than normal, and the past two days she has
> started throwing up. She is only throwing up saliva in very small
> amounts - no food.
> Also her nose is dry and her ears aren't warm, but they aren't as cold
> as I'd like them to be.
>
> This concerns me because she *never* throws up.
>
> I know they were sort of unhappy with their food also, so I switched
> back to Purina, which they enjoyed - I did this to help lessen the
> stress from their environment changes. One cat is in fine health, the
> other seems... depressed?
>
> Is there anything I can do, or should I take her to the vet?

Get her another, "couch". Or, something similar to hide under, and make sure
she knows that it's especially set up for her and not for any other cat.....

jamina1
March 3rd 09, 02:30 PM
Thank you for your concerns all. Rest assured she has plenty of other
hiding spots, there is another couch to hide behind, closets to hid in
and tables to cower beneath.
I just think she is upset.

I'm certain she is eating - and her behavior is confusing. She sleeps
alot usually, but now she's very angry if I wake her up, but the other
day I shook the treat bag and she came running and happily ate it. I
fed her some tuna (I know not the most amazing thing but I knew she
would eat it) and she ate it right up.

I think I will indeed have her seen by the vet ASAP. I can tell she is
sort of dehydrated and she's very prone to UTI. I don't want that to
happen again.

Spider[_3_]
March 3rd 09, 03:11 PM
"jamina1" > wrote in message
> Thank you for your concerns all. Rest assured she has plenty of other
> hiding spots, there is another couch to hide behind, closets to hid in
> and tables to cower beneath.
> I just think she is upset.
>
> I'm certain she is eating - and her behavior is confusing. She sleeps
> alot usually, but now she's very angry if I wake her up, but the other
> day I shook the treat bag and she came running and happily ate it. I
> fed her some tuna (I know not the most amazing thing but I knew she
> would eat it) and she ate it right up.
>
> I think I will indeed have her seen by the vet ASAP. I can tell she is
> sort of dehydrated and she's very prone to UTI. I don't want that to
> happen again.

I'm glad you're taking her to the vet. Her behaviour isn't confusing to me
at all. The fact that she is "very angry" when you wake her tells me she is
not feeling at all well. I have a cat who is somewhat grumpy and refuses to
shift when I want to wake her, but I know she's healthy and her mischief
muscles are in perfect condition :~), so I don't need to worry. Your cat is
upset, feeling very unwell and dehydrated (to some extent). The sooner you
get her to a vet, the better her chances. The vet may want to keep her in
to carry out remedial iv rehydration. Dehydration in cats is very serious
and needs early treatment. Please take her to the vet *very* soon; at once,
if you can.

Do let us know how she gets on.
My pussies and I have our paws crossed for her.

Spider

cybercat
March 3rd 09, 04:18 PM
"Spider" > wrote in message

> "jamina1" > wrote in message
>> Thank you for your concerns all. Rest assured she has plenty of other
>> hiding spots, there is another couch to hide behind, closets to hid in
>> and tables to cower beneath.
>> I just think she is upset.
>>
>> I'm certain she is eating - and her behavior is confusing. She sleeps
>> alot usually, but now she's very angry if I wake her up, but the other
>> day I shook the treat bag and she came running and happily ate it. I
>> fed her some tuna (I know not the most amazing thing but I knew she
>> would eat it) and she ate it right up.
>>
>> I think I will indeed have her seen by the vet ASAP. I can tell she is
>> sort of dehydrated and she's very prone to UTI. I don't want that to
>> happen again.
>

> I'm glad you're taking her to the vet. Her behaviour isn't confusing to
> me at all. The fact that she is "very angry" when you wake her tells me
> she is not feeling at all well.

Really. This cat should have been to the vet weeks ago.

jamina1
March 3rd 09, 11:08 PM
On Mar 3, 11:18*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Spider" > wrote in message

> Really. This cat should have been to the vet weeks ago.

Well I would've taken her weeks ago, if she hadn't only been
exhibiting symptoms for a few days.

jamina1
March 5th 09, 01:54 PM
Well, I managed to give her some water in a syringe night before last
and after that she actually went to the water bowl to start drinking.
Also, she was readily eating up kitty treats - so her appetite was
there, just not enough that she would eat the kibble. But I did take
her to the vet ASAP. Ended up having to go to a different vet because
her normal vet was full up until April!

She's experiencing liver failure... and I'm kicking myself I didn't
take her earlier.. but at least she's in good hands now. So hopefully,
and without too much more expense we can figure out what is wrong and
go from there.

It is sad possibly having to choose between saving the cat and being
able to afford saving the cat -_-

cybercat
March 5th 09, 05:58 PM
"jamina1" > wrote in message
> Well, I managed to give her some water in a syringe night before last
> and after that she actually went to the water bowl to start drinking.
> Also, she was readily eating up kitty treats - so her appetite was
> there, just not enough that she would eat the kibble. But I did take
> her to the vet ASAP. Ended up having to go to a different vet because
> her normal vet was full up until April!
>
> She's experiencing liver failure... and I'm kicking myself I didn't
> take her earlier.. but at least she's in good hands now. So hopefully,
> and without too much more expense we can figure out what is wrong and
> go from there.
>
> It is sad possibly having to choose between saving the cat and being
> able to afford saving the cat -_-

Money is the reason you did not take her sooner. Ugh.

MaryL
March 5th 09, 08:00 PM
"jamina1" > wrote in message
> Well, I managed to give her some water in a syringe night before last
> and after that she actually went to the water bowl to start drinking.
> Also, she was readily eating up kitty treats - so her appetite was
> there, just not enough that she would eat the kibble. But I did take
> her to the vet ASAP. Ended up having to go to a different vet because
> her normal vet was full up until April!
>
> She's experiencing liver failure... and I'm kicking myself I didn't
> take her earlier.. but at least she's in good hands now. So hopefully,
> and without too much more expense we can figure out what is wrong and
> go from there.
>
> It is sad possibly having to choose between saving the cat and being
> able to afford saving the cat -_-

I had a cat that had both liver failure and CRF a number of years ago. The
prognosis was very bad. She was not expected to live more than three months
*at most* following one panel of blood tests. Instead, she lived three
*years,* and they were good years for most of that time. My vet said that
was because I was aggressive in giving her every possible chance. I had
lenghty telephone conversations with vets at Texas A&M College of Veterinary
Medicine and The Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine. I watched for
even the slightest change in her attitude or eating/drinking patterns, and
we continually adjusted her diet and medications.

The point is: You can probably do a lot for your kitty, even though a
diagnosis of liver failure is frightening, but you must take the
responsibility of being very pro-active. Do not put off seeing a vet if you
see any changes in the future because "a few days" can mean the difference
between giving your kitty a good quality life and removing all hope for her.

MaryL

MaryL
March 5th 09, 08:09 PM
. ..

> "jamina1" > wrote in message
>> Well, I managed to give her some water in a syringe night before last
>> and after that she actually went to the water bowl to start drinking.
>> Also, she was readily eating up kitty treats - so her appetite was
>> there, just not enough that she would eat the kibble. But I did take
>> her to the vet ASAP. Ended up having to go to a different vet because
>> her normal vet was full up until April!
>>
>> She's experiencing liver failure... and I'm kicking myself I didn't
>> take her earlier.. but at least she's in good hands now. So hopefully,
>> and without too much more expense we can figure out what is wrong and
>> go from there.
>>
>> It is sad possibly having to choose between saving the cat and being
>> able to afford saving the cat -_-
>
> I had a cat that had both liver failure and CRF a number of years ago.
> The prognosis was very bad. She was not expected to live more than three
> months *at most* following one panel of blood tests. Instead, she lived
> three *years,* and they were good years for most of that time. My vet
> said that was because I was aggressive in giving her every possible
> chance. I had lenghty telephone conversations with vets at Texas A&M
> College of Veterinary Medicine and The Ohio State College of Veterinary
> Medicine. I watched for even the slightest change in her attitude or
> eating/drinking patterns, and we continually adjusted her diet and
> medications.
>
> The point is: You can probably do a lot for your kitty, even though a
> diagnosis of liver failure is frightening, but you must take the
> responsibility of being very pro-active. Do not put off seeing a vet if
> you see any changes in the future because "a few days" can mean the
> difference between giving your kitty a good quality life and removing all
> hope for her.
>
> MaryL

Here is a picture of Amber. She was going through advanced liver failure,
and I had been told two years earlier that she probably could not live more
than three months "at most." She lived another year after this picture was
taken (three years following that prognosis)--and you may be able to see
from the picture that she was doing a lot more than "surviving"; she still
had a good life. She was my little angel, and it was well worth everything
we did for her.
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/7915214

Again: Please take immediate action and do not just assume that nothing can
be done as a result of your cat's diagnosis.

MaryL

Poe
March 5th 09, 09:01 PM
MaryL wrote:

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "jamina1" > wrote in message
>>> Well, I managed to give her some water in a syringe night before last
>>> and after that she actually went to the water bowl to start drinking.
>>> Also, she was readily eating up kitty treats - so her appetite was
>>> there, just not enough that she would eat the kibble. But I did take
>>> her to the vet ASAP. Ended up having to go to a different vet because
>>> her normal vet was full up until April!
>>>
>>> She's experiencing liver failure... and I'm kicking myself I didn't
>>> take her earlier.. but at least she's in good hands now. So hopefully,
>>> and without too much more expense we can figure out what is wrong and
>>> go from there.
>>>
>>> It is sad possibly having to choose between saving the cat and being
>>> able to afford saving the cat -_-
>>
>> I had a cat that had both liver failure and CRF a number of years ago.
>> The prognosis was very bad. She was not expected to live more than
>> three months *at most* following one panel of blood tests. Instead,
>> she lived three *years,* and they were good years for most of that
>> time. My vet said that was because I was aggressive in giving her
>> every possible chance. I had lenghty telephone conversations with
>> vets at Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine and The Ohio State
>> College of Veterinary Medicine. I watched for even the slightest
>> change in her attitude or eating/drinking patterns, and we continually
>> adjusted her diet and medications.
>>
>> The point is: You can probably do a lot for your kitty, even though a
>> diagnosis of liver failure is frightening, but you must take the
>> responsibility of being very pro-active. Do not put off seeing a vet
>> if you see any changes in the future because "a few days" can mean the
>> difference between giving your kitty a good quality life and removing
>> all hope for her.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> Here is a picture of Amber. She was going through advanced liver
> failure, and I had been told two years earlier that she probably could
> not live more than three months "at most." She lived another year after
> this picture was taken (three years following that prognosis)--and you
> may be able to see from the picture that she was doing a lot more than
> "surviving"; she still had a good life. She was my little angel, and it
> was well worth everything we did for her.
> http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/7915214
>
> Again: Please take immediate action and do not just assume that nothing
> can be done as a result of your cat's diagnosis.
>
> MaryL

What a gorgeous cat!

MaryL
March 5th 09, 09:29 PM
"Poe" > wrote in message
> MaryL wrote:
>>
>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> I had a cat that had both liver failure and CRF a number of years ago.
>>> The prognosis was very bad. She was not expected to live more than
>>> three months *at most* following one panel of blood tests. Instead, she
>>> lived three *years,* and they were good years for most of that time. My
>>> vet said that was because I was aggressive in giving her every possible
>>> chance. I had lenghty telephone conversations with vets at Texas A&M
>>> College of Veterinary Medicine and The Ohio State College of Veterinary
>>> Medicine. I watched for even the slightest change in her attitude or
>>> eating/drinking patterns, and we continually adjusted her diet and
>>> medications.
>>>
>>> The point is: You can probably do a lot for your kitty, even though a
>>> diagnosis of liver failure is frightening, but you must take the
>>> responsibility of being very pro-active. Do not put off seeing a vet if
>>> you see any changes in the future because "a few days" can mean the
>>> difference between giving your kitty a good quality life and removing
>>> all hope for her.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>
>> Here is a picture of Amber. She was going through advanced liver
>> failure, and I had been told two years earlier that she probably could
>> not live more than three months "at most." She lived another year after
>> this picture was taken (three years following that prognosis)--and you
>> may be able to see from the picture that she was doing a lot more than
>> "surviving"; she still had a good life. She was my little angel, and it
>> was well worth everything we did for her.
>> http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/7915214
>>
>> Again: Please take immediate action and do not just assume that nothing
>> can be done as a result of your cat's diagnosis.
>>
>> MaryL
>

> What a gorgeous cat!

Yes, she really was gorgeous. My previous cat had died, and I had just
reached the point when I knew it was "time" to adopt again. As luck would
have it (serendipity, I guess), a friend called and asked if I would
consider adopting Amber. She was two years old at that time, had been
declawed on *all four paws,* and the people who had her were going to put
her outside if they could not find someone to adopt. They said they loved
her but did not have room in their small home because they had a toddler and
were expecting another child. I went over to look at her, and they warned
me that it would probably take quite awhile for her to come out because "she
hid from everyone." Well, I sat down on the sofa, and she jumped right up
onto my lap! I really thought they were trying to con me, but I found out
later that it was really true. For some reason, she knew to come to me.
These people could not understand why she was always hiding, but it was
obvious to me. They led the toddler drag her around by the tail, so she was
really trying to get away from that abuse. She was incredibly thin at that
time. Well, I drove away with her in the car without even going home to
"think" about it, and she truly was an angel. She calmed down, began eating,
and turned out to be that glorious, gorgeous cat you see in the picture.
She even used a scratching post, although she had no claws. It still hurts
me to think that they would do that to such a wonderful little girl.

MaryL

Poe
March 5th 09, 10:12 PM
MaryL wrote:

> "Poe" > wrote in message
>> MaryL wrote:
>>>
>>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Here is a picture of Amber. She was going through advanced liver
>>> failure, and I had been told two years earlier that she probably
>>> could not live more than three months "at most." She lived another
>>> year after this picture was taken (three years following that
>>> prognosis)--and you may be able to see from the picture that she was
>>> doing a lot more than "surviving"; she still had a good life. She
>>> was my little angel, and it was well worth everything we did for her.
>>> http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/7915214
>>>
>>> Again: Please take immediate action and do not just assume that
>>> nothing can be done as a result of your cat's diagnosis.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>

>> What a gorgeous cat!
>
> Yes, she really was gorgeous. My previous cat had died, and I had just
> reached the point when I knew it was "time" to adopt again. As luck
> would have it (serendipity, I guess), a friend called and asked if I
> would consider adopting Amber. She was two years old at that time, had
> been declawed on *all four paws,* and the people who had her were going
> to put her outside if they could not find someone to adopt. They said
> they loved her but did not have room in their small home because they
> had a toddler and were expecting another child. I went over to look at
> her, and they warned me that it would probably take quite awhile for her
> to come out because "she hid from everyone." Well, I sat down on the
> sofa, and she jumped right up onto my lap! I really thought they were
> trying to con me, but I found out later that it was really true. For
> some reason, she knew to come to me. These people could not understand
> why she was always hiding, but it was obvious to me. They led the
> toddler drag her around by the tail, so she was really trying to get
> away from that abuse. She was incredibly thin at that time. Well, I
> drove away with her in the car without even going home to "think" about
> it, and she truly was an angel. She calmed down, began eating, and
> turned out to be that glorious, gorgeous cat you see in the picture. She
> even used a scratching post, although she had no claws. It still hurts
> me to think that they would do that to such a wonderful little girl.
>
> MaryL

The house was too small for a creature approximately the size of a small
pillow? Right. So they'd put it outside :-(

I hate stories like that (up until the point where you came into the
picture). Unfortunately I see it over and over, especially the pattern
where a pet falls out of favor when kids come along. Even in my own
family, my sister had her cat put down because it hissed at her kids who
came along later (they terrorized it!!). But then, she's the one who
kept her dogs out in a barn, never in the house.

<Digress...> I can't believe she came from the same family as I did (if
the dog was crabby, we were told to leave it alone so wouldn't nip. If
the cat was scared, we were told to leave it alone so it wouldn't hiss).
Back in MY day it was considered normal to learn via a nip that a dog
wants you to stop pulling on it - and I wasn't from an abusive or
neglectful clan. I'm not advocating letting dogs attack kids - just that
I prefer a balanced approach where the kids are taught to respect the
animals, including their boundaries and limitation. <End of digression>.

I'll never get where some people are coming from. If you don't *really*
want a pet, please don't get one. Sheesh!

Anyway, very gorgeous girl you had there, cool how she immediately took
to you :-)

MaryL
March 6th 09, 02:09 AM
"Poe" > wrote in message
> The house was too small for a creature approximately the size of a small
> pillow? Right. So they'd put it outside :-(
>
> I hate stories like that (up until the point where you came into the
> picture). Unfortunately I see it over and over, especially the pattern
> where a pet falls out of favor when kids come along. Even in my own
> family, my sister had her cat put down because it hissed at her kids who
> came along later (they terrorized it!!). But then, she's the one who kept
> her dogs out in a barn, never in the house.
>
> <Digress...> I can't believe she came from the same family as I did (if
> the dog was crabby, we were told to leave it alone so wouldn't nip. If the
> cat was scared, we were told to leave it alone so it wouldn't hiss). Back
> in MY day it was considered normal to learn via a nip that a dog wants you
> to stop pulling on it - and I wasn't from an abusive or neglectful clan.
> I'm not advocating letting dogs attack kids - just that I prefer a
> balanced approach where the kids are taught to respect the animals,
> including their boundaries and limitation. <End of digression>.
>
> I'll never get where some people are coming from. If you don't *really*
> want a pet, please don't get one. Sheesh!
>
> Anyway, very gorgeous girl you had there, cool how she immediately took to
> you :-)

Yes! It's hard to understand why so many people get "pets" when they
clearly don't intend to take care of them. I'm not talking about people who
find themselves over their heads financially or suddenly face overwhelming
medical issues. I'm talking about people who won't even do routine,
ordinary things like pay attention their pets, love them, give them good
food and basic veterinary care.

One last item: I mentioned that I had long telephone conferences with a vet
at Texas A&M University and one from The Ohio State University. My own vet
had given me their names as possible resources. On this newsgroup, we often
read about vets who seem to overcharge and fail to have a caring attitude.
Those two vets were exactly the opposite! Each one gave me a considerable
amount of time and helped me reach important decisions for Amber's care. I
fully expected to pay for their time--but both of them refused to accept any
payment. That was really special.

MaryL

jamina1
March 6th 09, 02:25 PM
I had to let her go. The costs were quickly approaching the point at
which I could no longer afford to pay it - $800 for one night in the
vets office and $1200 more expected before we even knew what was
really going on. And more once the actual treatment began. And I work
all day and have no one else who could've kept an eye on her. I would
not have been able to provide the quality of care she required to be
in the best hands possible unless I left her with the vets and what
sort of mom does that make me?

Plus, the vet said she'd have to have a feeding tube in for 4-6 WEEKS,
which would've made her very unhappy and uncomfy. I didn't want her to
live the next few months constantly in and out of the vets office, for
it to even possibly not cure her. I didn't want to see her cut up and
unhappy. So I let her go...

Thank you for the advice and the encouragement, anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheezyoranges/tags/sylvanas/

The most recent of these pictures was only taken a few weeks ago.
Compared to how she looked yesterday.. she had lost quite a bit of
weight very fast. I'm just sorry I couldn't do more for her -_-

Spider[_3_]
March 6th 09, 03:41 PM
"jamina1" > wrote in message
>I had to let her go. The costs were quickly approaching the point at
> which I could no longer afford to pay it - $800 for one night in the
> vets office and $1200 more expected before we even knew what was
> really going on. And more once the actual treatment began. And I work
> all day and have no one else who could've kept an eye on her. I would
> not have been able to provide the quality of care she required to be
> in the best hands possible unless I left her with the vets and what
> sort of mom does that make me?
>
> Plus, the vet said she'd have to have a feeding tube in for 4-6 WEEKS,
> which would've made her very unhappy and uncomfy. I didn't want her to
> live the next few months constantly in and out of the vets office, for
> it to even possibly not cure her. I didn't want to see her cut up and
> unhappy. So I let her go...
>
> Thank you for the advice and the encouragement, anyway.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheezyoranges/tags/sylvanas/
>
> The most recent of these pictures was only taken a few weeks ago.
> Compared to how she looked yesterday.. she had lost quite a bit of
> weight very fast. I'm just sorry I couldn't do more for her -_-

So sorry to hear about poor Sylvanas. She was a beautiful cat. Well, she's
at peace now, and so should you be. Don't beat yourself up over what
happened; financial problems sometimes get in the way of what we'd really
like to do, and even insurance premiums can be out of reach. Remember the
good times you had with her and she will still make you smile.

With purrs,
Spider

cybercat
March 6th 09, 04:48 PM
"jamina1" > wrote in message
>I had to let her go.

I am very sorry for your loss. You realize that if you had taken her in
right away, she might not have gotten this bad, right? Cats can get off
their feed for many reasons, including just getting into snits over couches,
and then can get into serious trouble fast. My vet told me this about my
cat, who was age 18 and just stopped eating. We never could get her to eat
again. She was just ready to go.

Again, people, take them in right away. Don't even pause to ask questions
here.

It could also be that she was very sick from the beginning and might have
died anyway.

In any case, I am very sorry for your loss.

nobody
March 7th 09, 12:23 AM
On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:25:25 -0800 (PST), jamina1 >
wrote:

>I had to let her go. The costs were quickly approaching the point at
>which I could no longer afford to pay it - $800 for one night in the
>vets office and $1200 more expected before we even knew what was
>really going on. And more once the actual treatment began. And I work
>all day and have no one else who could've kept an eye on her. I would
>not have been able to provide the quality of care she required to be
>in the best hands possible unless I left her with the vets and what
>sort of mom does that make me?
>
>Plus, the vet said she'd have to have a feeding tube in for 4-6 WEEKS,
>which would've made her very unhappy and uncomfy. I didn't want her to
>live the next few months constantly in and out of the vets office, for
>it to even possibly not cure her. I didn't want to see her cut up and
>unhappy. So I let her go...
>
>Thank you for the advice and the encouragement, anyway.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheezyoranges/tags/sylvanas/
>
>The most recent of these pictures was only taken a few weeks ago.
>Compared to how she looked yesterday.. she had lost quite a bit of
>weight very fast. I'm just sorry I couldn't do more for her -_-

Please accept my condolences. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.
I've been through this a couple of times myself and it's never easy.
It's very easy for others to judge, but you were the one going through
this. Please know that you did the very best you could, and out of
love, for your dear kitty.

cshenk
March 7th 09, 12:46 PM
"jamina1" wrote

>I had to let her go.

Sorry to hear that but from the description of the treatment she would have
had to undergo, I feel you did the right thing for her. Once you've had
time to adjust, take a look at the local SPCA offerings and perhaps you will
find a new love in an older kitty who needs a home.