PDA

View Full Version : Cat bumps water dish

Stan Brown
March 3rd 09, 04:53 AM
More and more often lately, Milo has been deliberately bumping his
water dish so that the water slops out on the (wood) floor.

I've tried different locations, so I don't think he just dislikes
where it was located.

Any idea what he's trying to tell me?
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Matthew[_3_]
March 3rd 09, 05:14 AM
Stan my cat Spirit RIP used to bump the water to make it move than drank
it.

IMO I would get one of those fountains that refresh the water and see if he
likes that
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> More and more often lately, Milo has been deliberately bumping his
> water dish so that the water slops out on the (wood) floor.
>
> I've tried different locations, so I don't think he just dislikes
> where it was located.
>
> Any idea what he's trying to tell me?
> http://OakRoadSystems.com
> Shikata ga nai...

MLB
March 3rd 09, 05:50 AM
Stan Brown wrote:
> More and more often lately, Milo has been deliberately bumping his
> water dish so that the water slops out on the (wood) floor.
>
> I've tried different locations, so I don't think he just dislikes
> where it was located.
>
> Any idea what he's trying to tell me?

Cats cannot see the water unless it is moving. They bump the dish to
m\determine where the water level is. I tried a couple of different
fountains, but the cat kept pulling the top off the first one and she
slopped the water in the second one. Now I leave a pan of water in the
bath tub -- she moves it around but it does not make a mess. I also
leave a pan of water in the shower stall / Works for me! MLB

Poe
March 3rd 09, 12:50 PM
Stan Brown wrote:
> More and more often lately, Milo has been deliberately bumping his
> water dish so that the water slops out on the (wood) floor.
>
> I've tried different locations, so I don't think he just dislikes
> where it was located.
>
> Any idea what he's trying to tell me?

Maybe he likes to watch it splash around. My cats constantly experiment
with gravity. They go from surface to surface knocking things off to the
floor. So I pick things up, put them back, and they do it again.
Sometimes it is funny, other times a little annoying. I may as well just
get rid of all tables, counters, and anything with a flat top, because
they can't be reliably used here!

cybercat
March 3rd 09, 04:17 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Stan Brown wrote:
>> More and more often lately, Milo has been deliberately bumping his water
>> dish so that the water slops out on the (wood) floor. I've tried
>> different locations, so I don't think he just dislikes where it was
>> located.
>>
>> Any idea what he's trying to tell me?
>

> Cats cannot see the water unless it is moving. They bump the dish to
> m\determine where the water level is. I tried a couple of different
> fountains, but the cat kept pulling the top off the first one and she
> slopped the water in the second one. Now I leave a pan of water in the
> bath tub -- she moves it around but it does not make a mess. I also leave
> a pan of water in the shower stall / Works for me! MLB

Smart. I guess this is because they cannot see up close? What is
interesting is that some cats do not do this.

Matthew[_3_]
March 3rd 09, 05:45 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Stan Brown wrote:
>> More and more often lately, Milo has been deliberately bumping his water
>> dish so that the water slops out on the (wood) floor. I've tried
>> different locations, so I don't think he just dislikes where it was
>> located.
>>
>> Any idea what he's trying to tell me?
>

> Cats cannot see the water unless it is moving. They bump the dish to
> m\determine where the water level is. I tried a couple of different
> fountains, but the cat kept pulling the top off the first one and she
> slopped the water in the second one. Now I leave a pan of water in the
> bath tub -- she moves it around but it does not make a mess. I also leave
> a pan of water in the shower stall / Works for me! MLB

I leave a dish in the bathroom sink with a slow drip they get to play and
keeps the dish fresh and moving

kraut
March 3rd 09, 07:10 PM
>Stan Brown wrote:
>> More and more often lately, Milo has been deliberately bumping his
>> water dish so that the water slops out on the (wood) floor.
>>
>> I've tried different locations, so I don't think he just dislikes
>> where it was located.
>>
>> Any idea what he's trying to tell me?
>

>Cats cannot see the water unless it is moving. They bump the dish to
>m\determine where the water level is. I tried a couple of different
>fountains, but the cat kept pulling the top off the first one and she
>slopped the water in the second one. Now I leave a pan of water in the
>bath tub -- she moves it around but it does not make a mess. I also
>leave a pan of water in the shower stall / Works for me! MLB

Mine like to splash in it with their paw before they drink. Then they
swing their paw and water all over to dry it.

MLB
March 4th 09, 05:42 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "MLB" > wrote in message
>> Stan Brown wrote:
>>> More and more often lately, Milo has been deliberately bumping his water
>>> dish so that the water slops out on the (wood) floor. I've tried
>>> different locations, so I don't think he just dislikes where it was
>>> located.
>>>
>>> Any idea what he's trying to tell me?
>>
>> Cats cannot see the water unless it is moving. They bump the dish to
>> m\determine where the water level is. I tried a couple of different
>> fountains, but the cat kept pulling the top off the first one and she
>> slopped the water in the second one. Now I leave a pan of water in the
>> bath tub -- she moves it around but it does not make a mess. I also leave
>> a pan of water in the shower stall / Works for me! MLB
>
> Smart. I guess this is because they cannot see up close? What is
> interesting is that some cats do not do this.

From what I have read, cat's eyes are built to detect movement. If
something is still, they apparently don't see it as easily.MLB

Stan Brown
March 7th 09, 10:39 PM
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 23:53:44 -0500 from Stan Brown
>:
> More and more often lately, Milo has been deliberately bumping his
> water dish so that the water slops out on the (wood) floor.
>
> I've tried different locations, so I don't think he just dislikes
> where it was located.
>
> Any idea what he's trying to tell me?

Thanks to those who responded.

I just can't buy the "can't see it unless it's moving" explanation
because none of my other cats ever did this, and Milo himself didn't
do it for his first seven months here.

The "put it in the bathtub" suggestion is ingenious, because he's
fascinated with the bathtub anyway. but unfortunately I have only one
bathroom.

I guess I'll just have to hope he grows out of this phase. For now
I've got the water dish in a Rubbermaid tray, which at least contains
most of the sloppage.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...