PDA

View Full Version : wasting cat

March 5th 09, 02:52 AM
we have an eight-year-old longhair mongrel cat who is getting thinner
and thinner despite having a good appetite... she has been in good
spirits till now but now seems to be seeking places to be alone. She
has been wormed but passed nothing and it has made no difference. She
has ALWAYS been quite thin but it's getting worse. Could it be a
beozar? (hardened hairball) - the vet shrugs expensively. Any ideas?
Dax

Noon Cat Nick
March 5th 09, 03:08 AM
wrote:
> we have an eight-year-old longhair mongrel cat who is getting thinner
> and thinner despite having a good appetite... she has been in good
> spirits till now but now seems to be seeking places to be alone. She
> has been wormed but passed nothing and it has made no difference. She
> has ALWAYS been quite thin but it's getting worse. Could it be a
> beozar? (hardened hairball) - the vet shrugs expensively. Any ideas?
> Dax

Find another vet. Your cat could be dangerously ill.

Poe
March 5th 09, 03:14 AM
Noon Cat Nick wrote:
> wrote:
>> we have an eight-year-old longhair mongrel cat who is getting thinner
>> and thinner despite having a good appetite... she has been in good
>> spirits till now but now seems to be seeking places to be alone. She
>> has been wormed but passed nothing and it has made no difference. She
>> has ALWAYS been quite thin but it's getting worse. Could it be a
>> beozar? (hardened hairball) - the vet shrugs expensively. Any ideas?
>> Dax
>
> Find another vet. Your cat could be dangerously ill.

I concur. While I won't get into the details, I had a dismissive vet who
really let me and his patients down. Big time. Ended up costing a lot
more than money.

cyberpurrs
March 5th 09, 06:49 AM
> wrote in message
> we have an eight-year-old longhair mongrel cat who is getting thinner
> and thinner despite having a good appetite... she has been in good
> spirits till now but now seems to be seeking places to be alone. She
> has been wormed but passed nothing and it has made no difference. She
> has ALWAYS been quite thin but it's getting worse. Could it be a
> beozar? (hardened hairball) - the vet shrugs expensively. Any ideas?

You could start by actually taking the cat to the vet instead of lying about
it.

March 5th 09, 12:48 PM
On Mar 4, 8:52*pm, " >
wrote:
> we have an eight-year-old longhair mongrel cat who is getting thinner
> and thinner despite having a good appetite... she has been in good
> spirits till now but now seems to be seeking places to be alone. She
> has been wormed but passed nothing and it has made no difference. She
> has ALWAYS been quite thin but it's getting worse. Could it be a
> beozar? (hardened hairball) - the vet shrugs expensively. Any ideas?
> Dax

A hairball that large or impacted could be determined by palpating
(and the explosive vomiting would have been another clue).

My S.W.A.G. from the limited symptoms you have described is early-
onset diabetes, pancreatitis or similar. Either of which could be
determined by a simple blood-test. Lymphoma is another possibility -
and the age is right for that, too. Neither of these conditions would
affect appetite in their early stages. The former two would increase
it as well as cause her to drink more. The latter could go either way
- and also cause her to drink more.

Are you gathering a clue here that you need to find a proper vet who
will do some proper testing to get some actual results? Do you also
get the hint that none of us here are even remotely qualified to give
you an actual diagnosis, reassure you about doing nothing or do any
better than speculate as you are speculating? I have no clue as to
your location - but unless you are in a very small town with only one
local vet, there are alternatives. There are some services on-line
that will help you find and qualify vets - that is a mixed bag, but
"another one" is the first step. If you are lucky enough to be around
Cornell or the University of Pennsylvania, they have the two best
veterinary teaching hospitals in the US.

Good luck with her - but do something fast or you will lose her.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

March 5th 09, 01:50 PM
On Mar 5, 6:48*am, " > wrote:
> On Mar 4, 8:52*pm, " >
> wrote:
>
> > we have an eight-year-old longhair mongrel cat who is getting thinner
> > and thinner despite having a good appetite... she has been in good
> > spirits till now but now seems to be seeking places to be alone. She
> > has been wormed but passed nothing and it has made no difference. She
> > has ALWAYS been quite thin but it's getting worse. Could it be a
> > beozar? (hardened hairball) - the vet shrugs expensively. Any ideas?
> > Dax
>
> A hairball that large or impacted could be determined by palpating
> (and the explosive vomiting would have been another clue).
>
> My S.W.A.G. from the limited symptoms you have described is early-
> onset diabetes, pancreatitis or similar. Either of which could be
> determined by a simple blood-test. Lymphoma is another possibility -
> and the age is right for that, too. Neither of these conditions would
> affect appetite in their early stages. The former two would increase
> it as well as cause her to drink more. The latter could go either way
> - and also cause her to drink more.
>
> Are you gathering a clue here that you need to find a proper vet who
> will do some proper testing to get some actual results? Do you also
> get the hint that none of us here are even remotely qualified to give
> you an actual diagnosis, reassure you about doing nothing or do any
> better than speculate as you are speculating? I have no clue as to
> your location - but unless you are in a very small town with only one
> local vet, there are alternatives. There are some services on-line
> that will help you find and qualify vets - that is a mixed bag, but
> "another one" is the first step. If you are lucky enough to be around
> Cornell or the University of Pennsylvania, they have the two best
> veterinary teaching hospitals in the US.
>
> Good luck with her - but do something fast or you will lose her.
>
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA

thank you, everyone. We are taking her to Coaticook today. So much for
'holistic' vets. And cyberpurrs, get help yourself. You sound like you
need it - dax

March 5th 09, 04:40 PM
> thank you, everyone. We are taking her to Coaticook today. So much for
> 'holistic' vets. And cyberpurrs, get help yourself. You sound like you
> need it - dax

When you go to the vet, ask for a full bloodwork panel, including
pancreatic enzymes and thryoid. Bring in a stool sample and have the
vet draw a urine sample in office. These will give you a good starting
point.

cybercat
March 5th 09, 06:59 PM
> wrote

>thank you, everyone. We are taking her to Coaticook today. So much for
>'holistic' vets. And cyberpurrs, get help yourself. You sound like you
>need it - dax

You bet. Long as you take your cat to the vet.

MaryL
March 5th 09, 09:39 PM
> wrote in message
> we have an eight-year-old longhair mongrel cat who is getting thinner
> and thinner despite having a good appetite... she has been in good
> spirits till now but now seems to be seeking places to be alone. She
> has been wormed but passed nothing and it has made no difference. She
> has ALWAYS been quite thin but it's getting worse. Could it be a
> beozar? (hardened hairball) - the vet shrugs expensively. Any ideas?
> Dax

Yes. See a different vet. Please do so ASAP. Your vet's attitude should
place him at the top of your "never call him/her again" list.

MaryL