PDA

View Full Version : Cat insurance

chatnoir
March 9th 09, 01:04 PM
Have been looking at the Kroger preferred plan!:

http://www.krogerpersonalfinance.com/insurance/pet-faq.asp

It seems to cover a lot of the routine items - teeth cleaning and
annual exams up to 220 dollar! The other plans outside of Kroger cost
around 20 dollars but seem to cover very little except for
catastrophic items! Seems I can make up the extra costs in routine
coverage! Is this a good idea? I mean I have had catastrophic costs
on past cats; but it seems like a lot to pay 20 dollars a month just
for the major events which may not happen and like a lot of insurance
they may not pay for for the small print in the contract that says no
way! And are there any real good plans out there?

MaryL
March 9th 09, 01:58 PM
"chatnoir" > wrote in message
> Have been looking at the Kroger preferred plan!:
>
> http://www.krogerpersonalfinance.com/insurance/pet-faq.asp
>
> It seems to cover a lot of the routine items - teeth cleaning and
> annual exams up to 220 dollar! The other plans outside of Kroger cost
> around 20 dollars but seem to cover very little except for
> catastrophic items! Seems I can make up the extra costs in routine
> coverage! Is this a good idea? I mean I have had catastrophic costs
> on past cats; but it seems like a lot to pay 20 dollars a month just
> for the major events which may not happen and like a lot of insurance
> they may not pay for for the small print in the contract that says no
> way! And are there any real good plans out there?

I looked into a number of insurance plans some time ago. It has been
several years, so my comments may or may not fit insurance coverage today.
However, this is what I found: None of the plans would adequately cover all
possibilities. They either had an extremely low maximum coverage (when most
of us are most concerned about very large, unexpected expenses) or covered
only very routine events (which is not the type of expense that is the
biggest worry for most of us). Some plans reduced or even eliminated
coverage as a cat ages (which is also when we can generally expect increased
cost--and therefore when insurance would be more important).

In my case, I opted *not* to go with any insurance plan and instead to
"self-insure." I have put a small amount into an interest-bearing savings
account (admittedly, *very limited* interest at the present time) every
month. I started this about six years ago, when I adopted Duffy. The
account has never been touched because it is only for very large expenses.
I will not use it for routine or "expected" medical costs. Instead, it is
intended for those situations where I might have a great deal of difficulty
paying for their medical care.

This idea works best if started when cats are relatively young and healthy
so the account has an opportunity to grow before it is needed. Admittedly,
this theory will not always work because some cats develop major problems
when they are still young, but it has worked well for me. As I said, I have
not touched the account, and I have been building it for six years. Holly
will be 14 years old in June, and Duffy is approximately 10 or 11 years old,
so I now have enough in the account to provide relief if either of them
begins to incur large expenses. (Unbelievable to think they are that age.
To me, they are still youngsters!)

MaryL

---MIKE---
March 9th 09, 04:44 PM
I self insure too. I put $300 a year into a savings account to be used
only for large vet expenses. The account will be up near $2,700 when I
put the money in this year.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

bartlet
March 10th 09, 02:59 PM
I heard on the news, a man checked himself in the psychic ward,
wearing only a thong and riding a goat. Ill come get you, but this
**** has got to stop

---MIKE--- wrote:
> I self insure too. I put $300 a year into a savings account to be used
> only for large vet expenses. The account will be up near $2,700 when I
> put the money in this year.
>

> ---MIKE---
> >>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

March 12th 09, 04:10 PM
> In my case, I opted *not* to go with any insurance plan and instead to
> "self-insure." *I have put a small amount into an interest-bearing savings
> account (admittedly, *very limited* interest at the present time) every
> month. *I started this about six years ago, when I adopted Duffy. *The
> account has never been touched because it is only for very large expenses..
> I will not use it for routine or "expected" medical costs.

I "self insure" too. Each week, money is direct deposited into a
special "pets only" account. I use it for any vet care, including
routine exams and emergency care. It's worked well for us, because we
know money is set aside automatically.