PDA

View Full Version : 2 of My Neighborhood Strays Heading In...

Candace
March 9th 09, 11:15 PM
to the vet in half an hour to be spayed. Both are in carriers
howling. Both are girls, Jessi and Ivory, who seem to be in heat and
have a lot of boyfriends. I have so many more to do that it's
overwhelming and I don't even feel that much satisfaction that 2 are
going in.

They are going to my full service vet practice who doesn't do low cost
spay/neuter but who I am hoping will cut me a little break, at least,
after the rhousands I've spend there. They are both going to have
stay a couple of nights after their surgeries because they are outdoor
cats--I can't bring them in so it'll be at least $500, I'm sure.

I have now located a low cost clinic where the rest are going to have
to go but I was off work today and I just needed to get this whole
ordeal (for me) started so my vet was the only place to go. I need to
be able to take cats in around my work schedule not have my work
suffer because of schlepping cats around, especially in these times
when I'm lucky to have a job. Next week I have a day off, too, so I'm
going to make an appt. at the low cost clinic for a couple of them and
hope for the best. These 2 I got today were tame and I was able to
pick them up--it won't be that easy with the rest. I'm going to ask
my vet if they have a trap I can borrow. If not, I'll have to buy one
online and hope it comes soon.

With the local TNR groups, you have to be on a waiting list to get the
traps and then you only get them for a couple days. I need to be able
to do it when I can do it not when someone else tells me to do it.
They require you to deliver the cats to one of their vets yourself so
that might not work out with my work schedule. There's one cat out
there who is now pregnant, I need to get her. I can touch her while
she eats but I attempted to pick her up this morning while she was
eating and almost lost a limb so she'll have to be trapped. I hope I
get her because she basically lives in my next-door neighbor's bushes
and they're not overly fond of cats so I know they don't want kittens
running around their yard, too.

Wish me luck, please, with catching the others and with the monetary
aspect of it. This so sucks and is so not how I like to spend days
off.

Candace

MaryL
March 10th 09, 08:21 AM
"Candace" > wrote in message
> to the vet in half an hour to be spayed. Both are in carriers
> howling. Both are girls, Jessi and Ivory, who seem to be in heat and
> have a lot of boyfriends. I have so many more to do that it's
> overwhelming and I don't even feel that much satisfaction that 2 are
> going in.
>
> They are going to my full service vet practice who doesn't do low cost
> spay/neuter but who I am hoping will cut me a little break, at least,
> after the rhousands I've spend there. They are both going to have
> stay a couple of nights after their surgeries because they are outdoor
> cats--I can't bring them in so it'll be at least $500, I'm sure.
>
> I have now located a low cost clinic where the rest are going to have
> to go but I was off work today and I just needed to get this whole
> ordeal (for me) started so my vet was the only place to go. I need to
> be able to take cats in around my work schedule not have my work
> suffer because of schlepping cats around, especially in these times
> when I'm lucky to have a job. Next week I have a day off, too, so I'm
> going to make an appt. at the low cost clinic for a couple of them and
> hope for the best. These 2 I got today were tame and I was able to
> pick them up--it won't be that easy with the rest. I'm going to ask
> my vet if they have a trap I can borrow. If not, I'll have to buy one
> online and hope it comes soon.
>
> With the local TNR groups, you have to be on a waiting list to get the
> traps and then you only get them for a couple days. I need to be able
> to do it when I can do it not when someone else tells me to do it.
> They require you to deliver the cats to one of their vets yourself so
> that might not work out with my work schedule. There's one cat out
> there who is now pregnant, I need to get her. I can touch her while
> she eats but I attempted to pick her up this morning while she was
> eating and almost lost a limb so she'll have to be trapped. I hope I
> get her because she basically lives in my next-door neighbor's bushes
> and they're not overly fond of cats so I know they don't want kittens
> running around their yard, too.
>
> Wish me luck, please, with catching the others and with the monetary
> aspect of it. This so sucks and is so not how I like to spend days
> off.
>
> Candace

Candace, Most TNR groups have an ear "tipped" when spay/neuter is done.
That way, they (or anyone else) can tell at a glance if a feral cat has
already had the procedure. Have you considered asking your vet to do this?
It probably should not add much (if any) to the vet bill.

Thanks for doing this!!!

MaryL

bartlet
March 10th 09, 02:09 PM
omgoodness $500? I had my girl spayed for $35

please stop people

there are feral HUMANS who could use that money

NOT YOUR VET

well, honestly. 500 or 35, it's just money
but

and, how do vets justify this?

is this a fru fru thing to do or something? charge the public crazy
prices

vets like the one you mention, ARE a burden to our economy

because, they create a vaccuum. they are getting paid for something
they haven't done

500 dollars?

that! is nuts

and what, 2.00$ worth of shots?

but look, and, yes, when we need a major surgery for our pet
then, yes.. and fine..

but. you're doing a good thing, and why should you be penalized for
doing so

the damn vet should do it for free and thank you

$500?

I don't understand that cost
not in this economy

greed

one of the 7 deadly sins

NEVER could I justify that amount for 20 cats

Candace wrote:
> to the vet in half an hour to be spayed. Both are in carriers
> howling. Both are girls, Jessi and Ivory, who seem to be in heat and
> have a lot of boyfriends. I have so many more to do that it's
> overwhelming and I don't even feel that much satisfaction that 2 are
> going in.
>
> They are going to my full service vet practice who doesn't do low cost
> spay/neuter but who I am hoping will cut me a little break, at least,
> after the rhousands I've spend there. They are both going to have
> stay a couple of nights after their surgeries because they are outdoor
> cats--I can't bring them in so it'll be at least $500, I'm sure.
>
> I have now located a low cost clinic where the rest are going to have
> to go but I was off work today and I just needed to get this whole
> ordeal (for me) started so my vet was the only place to go. I need to
> be able to take cats in around my work schedule not have my work
> suffer because of schlepping cats around, especially in these times
> when I'm lucky to have a job. Next week I have a day off, too, so I'm
> going to make an appt. at the low cost clinic for a couple of them and
> hope for the best. These 2 I got today were tame and I was able to
> pick them up--it won't be that easy with the rest. I'm going to ask
> my vet if they have a trap I can borrow. If not, I'll have to buy one
> online and hope it comes soon.
>
> With the local TNR groups, you have to be on a waiting list to get the
> traps and then you only get them for a couple days. I need to be able
> to do it when I can do it not when someone else tells me to do it.
> They require you to deliver the cats to one of their vets yourself so
> that might not work out with my work schedule. There's one cat out
> there who is now pregnant, I need to get her. I can touch her while
> she eats but I attempted to pick her up this morning while she was
> eating and almost lost a limb so she'll have to be trapped. I hope I
> get her because she basically lives in my next-door neighbor's bushes
> and they're not overly fond of cats so I know they don't want kittens
> running around their yard, too.
>
> Wish me luck, please, with catching the others and with the monetary
> aspect of it. This so sucks and is so not how I like to spend days
> off.
>
> Candace

bartlet
March 10th 09, 02:10 PM
and, praise to you

Candace wrote:
> to the vet in half an hour to be spayed. Both are in carriers
> howling. Both are girls, Jessi and Ivory, who seem to be in heat and
> have a lot of boyfriends. I have so many more to do that it's
> overwhelming and I don't even feel that much satisfaction that 2 are
> going in.
>
> They are going to my full service vet practice who doesn't do low cost
> spay/neuter but who I am hoping will cut me a little break, at least,
> after the rhousands I've spend there. They are both going to have
> stay a couple of nights after their surgeries because they are outdoor
> cats--I can't bring them in so it'll be at least $500, I'm sure.
>
> I have now located a low cost clinic where the rest are going to have
> to go but I was off work today and I just needed to get this whole
> ordeal (for me) started so my vet was the only place to go. I need to
> be able to take cats in around my work schedule not have my work
> suffer because of schlepping cats around, especially in these times
> when I'm lucky to have a job. Next week I have a day off, too, so I'm
> going to make an appt. at the low cost clinic for a couple of them and
> hope for the best. These 2 I got today were tame and I was able to
> pick them up--it won't be that easy with the rest. I'm going to ask
> my vet if they have a trap I can borrow. If not, I'll have to buy one
> online and hope it comes soon.
>
> With the local TNR groups, you have to be on a waiting list to get the
> traps and then you only get them for a couple days. I need to be able
> to do it when I can do it not when someone else tells me to do it.
> They require you to deliver the cats to one of their vets yourself so
> that might not work out with my work schedule. There's one cat out
> there who is now pregnant, I need to get her. I can touch her while
> she eats but I attempted to pick her up this morning while she was
> eating and almost lost a limb so she'll have to be trapped. I hope I
> get her because she basically lives in my next-door neighbor's bushes
> and they're not overly fond of cats so I know they don't want kittens
> running around their yard, too.
>
> Wish me luck, please, with catching the others and with the monetary
> aspect of it. This so sucks and is so not how I like to spend days
> off.
>
> Candace

March 11th 09, 02:12 AM
On Mar 10, 1:21*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Candace" > wrote in message

> > to the vet in half an hour to be spayed. *Both are in carriers
> > howling. *Both are girls, Jessi and Ivory, who seem to be in heat and
> > have a lot of boyfriends. *I have so many more to do that it's
> > overwhelming and I don't even feel that much satisfaction that 2 are
> > going in.
>
> > They are going to my full service vet practice who doesn't do low cost
> > spay/neuter but who I am hoping will cut me a little break, at least,
> > after the rhousands I've spend there. *They are both going to have
> > stay a couple of nights after their surgeries because they are outdoor
> > cats--I can't bring them in so it'll be at least $500, I'm sure.
>
> > I have now located a low cost clinic where the rest are going to have
> > to go but I was off work today and I just needed to get this whole
> > ordeal (for me) started so my vet was the only place to go. *I need to
> > be able to take cats in around my work schedule not have my work
> > suffer because of schlepping cats around, especially in these times
> > when I'm lucky to have a job. *Next week I have a day off, too, so I'm
> > going to make an appt. at the low cost clinic for a couple of them and
> > hope for the best. *These 2 I got today were tame and I was able to
> > pick them up--it won't be that easy with the rest. *I'm going to ask
> > my vet if they have a trap I can borrow. If not, I'll have to buy one
> > online and hope it comes soon.
>
> > With the local TNR groups, you have to be on a waiting list to get the
> > traps and then you only get them for a couple days. *I need to be able
> > to do it when I can do it not when someone else tells me to do it.
> > They require you to deliver the cats to one of their vets yourself so
> > that might not work out with my work schedule. There's one cat out
> > there who is now pregnant, I need to get her. *I can touch her while
> > she eats but I attempted to pick her up this morning while she was
> > eating and almost lost a limb so she'll have to be trapped. *I hope I
> > get her because she basically lives in my next-door neighbor's bushes
> > and they're not overly fond of *cats so I know they don't want kittens
> > running around their yard, too.
>
> > Wish me luck, please, with catching the others and with the monetary
> > aspect of it. *This so sucks and is so not how I like to spend days
> > off.
>
> > Candace
>
> Candace, Most TNR groups have an ear "tipped" when spay/neuter is done.
> That way, they (or anyone else) can tell at a glance if a feral cat has
> already had the procedure. *Have you considered asking your vet to do this?
> It probably should not add much (if any) to the vet bill.
>
> Thanks for doing this!!!
>
> MaryL

Yes, they're going to do that. I don't think there's a charge. There
wasn't last time I had it done.

Candace

dgk
March 11th 09, 12:33 PM
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:09:59 -0700 (PDT), bartlet
> wrote:

>omgoodness $500? I had my girl spayed for $35
>
>please stop people
>
>there are feral HUMANS who could use that money
>
>NOT YOUR VET
>
>well, honestly. 500 or 35, it's just money
>but
>
>and, how do vets justify this?
>
>is this a fru fru thing to do or something? charge the public crazy
>prices
>
>vets like the one you mention, ARE a burden to our economy
>
>because, they create a vaccuum. they are getting paid for something
>they haven't done
>
>500 dollars?
>
>that! is nuts
>
>and what, 2.00$ worth of shots?
>
>but look, and, yes, when we need a major surgery for our pet
>then, yes.. and fine..
>
>but. you're doing a good thing, and why should you be penalized for
>doing so
>
>the damn vet should do it for free and thank you
>
>$500?
>
>I don't understand that cost
>not in this economy
>
>greed
>
>one of the 7 deadly sins
>
>NEVER could I justify that amount for 20 cats

My vet needs to pay for rent, insurance, and staff. Much of what I pay
during vet visits is for laboratory tests which are usually more
expensive than for people.

Actually, I worked for a vendor for Clinical Laboratory software and
charges were higher for animails (if the lab even tested animals)
because the blood volume was less than from people so it caused them
more problems getting the tests done. The normal ranges are also
different and required programming to report correctly.

My vet does give a break for dealing with multiple cats, particularly
if they're strays. But they're in business to make enough money to put
their kids through college. Hold down the cost of college and health
care and maybe prices will drop.

A bit off topic, but related. More than 50% of the programming
required for that Laboratory Information System was to make sure the
billing got done correctly. Almost all of that effort would be
unnecessary if we had Single Payer healthcare.

cybercat
March 11th 09, 02:05 PM
"Candace" > wrote in message
> to the vet in half an hour to be spayed. Both are in carriers
> howling. [...]
>
> Wish me luck, please, with catching the others and with the monetary
> aspect of it. This so sucks and is so not how I like to spend days
> off.

You're a good egg, Candace.

bartlet
March 16th 09, 03:46 PM
On Mar 11, 8:33*am, dgk > wrote:

> My vet does give a break for dealing with multiple cats, particularly

Iiiii thought about my comments to Candace

yes, I can easily see the costs involved
and, let the vet tell it, and we'll see how it's actually, pretty
reasonable

It was no mark against Candace of course

true, enough, 500 bux, does not go a long ways
and besides

do we want butchers, or surgeons
oh, im sure there are plenty, who would do it for a hit of crack

I think, maybe, there is no-one to blame except irresponsible
or, ignorant, pet owners

those, who won't get dey cats fixeded