PDA

View Full Version : Giving a cat a bath

honeybunch
March 10th 09, 09:23 PM
My cat Snappy is a domestic short haired cat but he has a very thick
soft pelt which is fine in the wintertime but in the summer it is a
bit of a problem. I brush him constantly but its never enough. He
gets hairball and is uncomfortable with the heat. I am wondering, in
advance, of the advisablility of bathing him. Would that make his fur
loss any simpler? Would that be a good idea? Ive already asked at my
local petco but they dont bath cats. I did get a positive response
from a Petco a distance from where we live. Would shaving him be
worthwhile? I think he would hate that and it might be dangerous but
would it be a good idea? and how does one give a cat a bath? He
doesnt like water splashed on him and runs if it happens
accidentally. He has gone in the shower to investigate and very
occasionally he will stare at the kitchen water tap. Would giving him
a bath in order to help with his fur fall out in the summer be a good
idea I wonder?

Claude V. Lucas
March 10th 09, 09:43 PM
In article >,
honeybunch > wrote:
>My cat Snappy is a domestic short haired cat but he has a very thick
>soft pelt which is fine in the wintertime but in the summer it is a
>bit of a problem. I brush him constantly but its never enough. He
>gets hairball and is uncomfortable with the heat. I am wondering, in
>advance, of the advisablility of bathing him. Would that make his fur
>loss any simpler? Would that be a good idea? Ive already asked at my
>local petco but they dont bath cats. I did get a positive response
>from a Petco a distance from where we live. Would shaving him be
>worthwhile? I think he would hate that and it might be dangerous but
>would it be a good idea? and how does one give a cat a bath? He
>doesnt like water splashed on him and runs if it happens
>accidentally. He has gone in the shower to investigate and very
>occasionally he will stare at the kitchen water tap. Would giving him
>a bath in order to help with his fur fall out in the summer be a good
>idea I wonder?

"I gave my cat a bath. The worst part was getting the hair off my tongue."

Steve Martin.

:^)

On a more serious note, I spoke with a volunteer from the local pound
who was bathing potential adoptees at my friendly local pet labyrinth
and she said that she used some sort of gentle Aloe shampoo that she
got at the health food store that had all natural ingredients. Her
clients seemed to tolerate the process, warm water and prompt toweling
is a must.

I'm sure that some cats will tolerate being bathed. Others will require
Kevlar gloves and/or an ambulance standing by for the attempted bather.

YMMV

sudee
March 11th 09, 04:53 AM
On Mar 10, 2:43*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> In article >,
>

> honeybunch > wrote:
> >My cat Snappy is a domestic short haired cat but he has a very thick
> >soft pelt which is fine in the wintertime but in the summer it is a
> >bit of a problem. *I brush him constantly but its never enough. *He
> >gets hairball and is uncomfortable with the heat. *I am wondering, in
> >advance, of the advisablility of bathing him. *Would that make his fur
> >loss any simpler? *Would that be a good idea? *Ive already asked at my
> >local petco but they dont bath cats. *I did get a positive response
> >from a Petco a distance from where we live. Would shaving him be
> >worthwhile? *I think he would hate that and it might be dangerous but
> >would it be a good idea? *and how does one give a cat a bath? *He
> >doesnt like water splashed on him and runs if it happens
> >accidentally. *He has gone in the shower to investigate and very
> >occasionally he will stare at the kitchen water tap. *Would giving him
> >a bath in order to help with his fur fall out in the summer be a good
> >idea I wonder?
>
> "I gave my cat a bath. The worst part was getting the hair off my tongue."
>
> Steve Martin.
>
> :^)
>
> On a more serious note, I spoke with a volunteer from the local pound
> who was bathing potential adoptees at my friendly local pet labyrinth
> and she said that she used some sort of gentle Aloe shampoo that she
> got at the health food store that had all natural ingredients. Her
> clients seemed to tolerate the process, warm water and prompt toweling
> is a must.
>
> I'm sure that some cats will tolerate being bathed. Others will require
> Kevlar gloves and/or an ambulance standing by for the attempted bather.
>
> YMMV

Last time I got an xray I asked the tech if they had any old aprons
and gloves I could have so I could bathe my cats. She got a laugh out
of that but I said I was serious. I said I know you don't keep these
things forever do you? How about giving me a call. I would seriously
like to have them! I wouldn't mind having them. I barely make it
through nail clipping! :)

Sue M -- Firefighter mom = Still Rabid UW DAWG Fan!

cshenk
March 11th 09, 08:27 AM
"honeybunch" wrote

> My cat Snappy is a domestic short haired cat but he has a very thick
> soft pelt which is fine in the wintertime but in the summer it is a
> bit of a problem. I brush him constantly but its never enough. He
> gets hairball and is uncomfortable with the heat. I am wondering, in
> advance, of the advisablility of bathing him. Would that make his fur
> loss any simpler? Would that be a good idea? Ive already asked at my

Welcome to the martial art of cat bathing ;-)

Seriously, I've only done it with cats with bad flea problems, so bad that
bathing was needed to deal with them. (A money tip for others,
head-n-shoulders shampoo works just as well as the fancy stuff and leaves a
nice clean, ****ed off cat).

Bathing may help, but expect a big furball after because no matter how you
try, minute you have them as dry as you can, they will lick every inch of
themselves.

Now to help defur a cat a bit, we've had luck with just grooming them with a
damp knubby towel.

I have better luck with furballs by adding a little fat to the cat's diet.
A little leftover chicken fat etc. Say, 1/2 TS a day to as much as 1 TS
sometimes. Can be melted (not too hot!) and added to wet or dry food.

dejablues[_4_]
March 11th 09, 10:54 AM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
> My cat Snappy is a domestic short haired cat but he has a very thick
> soft pelt which is fine in the wintertime but in the summer it is a
> bit of a problem. I brush him constantly but its never enough. He
> gets hairball and is uncomfortable with the heat. I am wondering, in
> advance, of the advisablility of bathing him. Would that make his fur
> loss any simpler?

Cats only need baths if they are really dirty.
Try a Furminator.

March 11th 09, 12:52 PM
IMO, if he doesn't like water being splashed on him, he will get very
stressed if you try to bath him. I'm not sure a bath would help a fur/
shedding problem anyhow.

You can get him a 'lion cut', which shaves the body and most of the
legs, leaving his head, ends of tail and bottom of legs with fur.

You can also try a Furminator. It's a grooming tool that really works
to get the dead fur out.