PDA

View Full Version : Use of Frontline for Dogs on a cat

sideshow
March 14th 09, 07:47 PM
Has anyone here used this website?
http://www.nomorefleasplease.com/

To quote their website,
Is the formulation for Frontline Plus the same for dogs and cats?
The active ingredients are exactly the same. Both contain exactly the
same 9.8% fipronil by liquid volume. Fipronil is the ingredient that
kills fleas. There is one difference though. Frontline Plus for dogs
contains 8.8% (S)-methoprene and Frontline Plus for cats contains
11.8% (S)-methoprene. (S)-methoprene is the active ingredient that
sterilizes Fleas, ticks, and their larva and eggs. This 3% difference
will in no way affect the flea killing properties of the kit. We have
sold thousands of the Frontline Plus Kits for cats without incident so
never fear.

What's the scoop? Can we use the dog formula, in smaller dosages, on
our cats?

Matthew[_3_]
March 14th 09, 08:02 PM
When it comes to safety why take the chance of some no name website telling
you it is ok

IMO ALWAYS use the version made for cats Chances are for Vegas and I am
not talking about the cat named Vegas either ;-)

"sideshow" > wrote in message
> Has anyone here used this website?
> http://www.nomorefleasplease.com/
>
> To quote their website,
> Is the formulation for Frontline Plus the same for dogs and cats?
> The active ingredients are exactly the same. Both contain exactly the
> same 9.8% fipronil by liquid volume. Fipronil is the ingredient that
> kills fleas. There is one difference though. Frontline Plus for dogs
> contains 8.8% (S)-methoprene and Frontline Plus for cats contains
> 11.8% (S)-methoprene. (S)-methoprene is the active ingredient that
> sterilizes Fleas, ticks, and their larva and eggs. This 3% difference
> will in no way affect the flea killing properties of the kit. We have
> sold thousands of the Frontline Plus Kits for cats without incident so
> never fear.
>
> What's the scoop? Can we use the dog formula, in smaller dosages, on
> our cats?

Poe
March 14th 09, 08:25 PM
sideshow wrote:
> Has anyone here used this website?
> http://www.nomorefleasplease.com/
>
> To quote their website,
> Is the formulation for Frontline Plus the same for dogs and cats?
> The active ingredients are exactly the same. Both contain exactly the
> same 9.8% fipronil by liquid volume. Fipronil is the ingredient that
> kills fleas. There is one difference though. Frontline Plus for dogs
> contains 8.8% (S)-methoprene and Frontline Plus for cats contains
> 11.8% (S)-methoprene. (S)-methoprene is the active ingredient that
> sterilizes Fleas, ticks, and their larva and eggs. This 3% difference
> will in no way affect the flea killing properties of the kit. We have
> sold thousands of the Frontline Plus Kits for cats without incident so
> never fear.
>
> What's the scoop? Can we use the dog formula, in smaller dosages, on
> our cats?

I wouldn't bother. Just use the formula specifically created for cats.
What if you mess up, what'd ya save, a few bucks? Not worth it. Plus,
because cats groom themselves in a way dogs don't, perhaps there is
something in the cat formula that tastes bad to prevent them from
licking it off. Idk - I'd just use the correct formula for the target
animal.

cybercat
March 14th 09, 08:44 PM
"sideshow" > wrote
> What's the scoop? Can we use the dog formula, in smaller dosages, on
> our cats?

Here's the scoop: keep your cats in where they can't get fleas

sideshow
March 14th 09, 09:06 PM
They ARE indoor cats. The groomer says it's common for people to bring
them in on pant legs after working in the garden or yard. There are
LOTS of squirrels, and a few ferals around the house, which is located
in a very wooded area.

cybercat
March 14th 09, 09:13 PM
"sideshow" > wrote in message
> They ARE indoor cats. The groomer says it's common for people to bring
> them in on pant legs after working in the garden or yard. There are
> LOTS of squirrels, and a few ferals around the house, which is located
> in a very wooded area.

I see. I recall that from when I lived in Florida, too. Don't take any
chances with the frontline. Call and ask your vet, maybe.

Matthew[_3_]
March 15th 09, 06:50 AM
Cyber In Florida it is bad where I live
but everywhere that fleas are present they can become hitch hikers and go
along for a long ride