PDA

View Full Version : Need some good thoughts for Boo

cybercat
March 21st 09, 03:58 PM
Our 14-year-old has had lots of health issues, but has been feisty and tough
through it all. Last thing was last July, a mammary tumor we caught early
that was benign, though the vet says 85% are malignant. It was diagnosed on
the afternoon and out the next morning. (They grow fast, and change fast, so
if you notice a lump, get your animal in there and get it out. From
diagnosis to aftercare it cost $350 at our vet. Did we need it for something
else? You bet. But her prognosis was good, and she could live another five
years or even more, so we found it.)

Now, she has a growth in her mouth. It seems to be on the gum on one side.
It was not there last July, as they checked her thoroughly when she was
under anesthesia. She has been to the vet probably three times since last
July, her weight has been good, her appetite is ALWAYS good. She does have a
thyroid condition and a heart condition and must be pilled twice a day.
Because of her heart condition, when we first took her about her mouth, they
did not want to put her under. They gave us a 2-week round of antibiotics
and sent us home, hoping it would clear up a mouth infection and that would
be the end of it, but it has not been.

We first noticed a change back in January, when she became even more
combative about pilling. She stopped eating any dry food at all and wanted
only canned. Then in February, right after she had a vet appointment for
labs to check her thyroid level (a hot $40, not much at all quarterly to see
that her dosage is right) we noticed a smell worse than normal cat breath
and she began pawing the left side of her face AND her paw was brown, as in
dried blood. This is when we took her in. The vet (not our favorite) said
she could see a growth, that is is not in the usual place to be a cancer,
but if it is cancer, this type is almost always fatal in cats. (This, and
her heart condition, is why we did not get her right in and under and
biopsied. And, we hoped it would just be a tooth abscess.)

Throughout, she has eaten like a champ, plays, appears in weird places to
find the best patch of sun, begs for food, mouths off if we touch her and
she is not in the mood. In other words, she is herself. But we noticed her
having trouble chewing, she paused and kind of shook her head and pawed he
mouth, that same side. Just a few days ago she finally began eating less,
and lost weight. Then just yesterday she did not want her canned food at
all, or soft goodies. I got her chicken and turkey baby food, no onions of
course, and she likes that, and will eat tuna water with some tuna in it. I
give her small bits, and as soon as it is finished, put down more, to try to
keep up her strength.

Monday morning 8:45 she has an appointment with her usual vet, to go under
anesthesia and let her have a look and biopsy. We are still hopeful that it
is just a bad tooth. If it is, she will get a full dental while the vet is
in there! Thanks for listening and for keeping us in your thoughts.

MLB
March 21st 09, 04:30 PM
cybercat wrote:
> [...]
> she is not in the mood. In other words, she is herself. But we noticed her
> having trouble chewing, she paused and kind of shook her head and pawed he
> mouth, that same side. Just a few days ago she finally began eating less,
> and lost weight. Then just yesterday she did not want her canned food at
> all, or soft goodies. I got her chicken and turkey baby food, no onions of
> course, and she likes that, and will eat tuna water with some tuna in it. I
> give her small bits, and as soon as it is finished, put down more, to try to
> keep up her strength.
>
> Monday morning 8:45 she has an appointment with her usual vet, to go under
> anesthesia and let her have a look and biopsy. We are still hopeful that it
> is just a bad tooth. If it is, she will get a full dental while the vet is
> in there! Thanks for listening and for keeping us in your thoughts.

Will purr for your kitty 's wellbeing. We hope they can cure whatever
it is that is causing her problem. Best wishes. MLB

Matthew[_3_]
March 21st 09, 04:35 PM
PURRS IN ROUTE
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> [...]
> she is not in the mood. In other words, she is herself. But we noticed her
> having trouble chewing, she paused and kind of shook her head and pawed he
> mouth, that same side. Just a few days ago she finally began eating less,
> and lost weight. Then just yesterday she did not want her canned food at
> all, or soft goodies. I got her chicken and turkey baby food, no onions of
> course, and she likes that, and will eat tuna water with some tuna in it.
> I give her small bits, and as soon as it is finished, put down more, to
> try to keep up her strength.
>
> Monday morning 8:45 she has an appointment with her usual vet, to go under
> anesthesia and let her have a look and biopsy. We are still hopeful that
> it is just a bad tooth. If it is, she will get a full dental while the vet
> is in there! Thanks for listening and for keeping us in your thoughts.

Lynne
March 21st 09, 06:13 PM
Many good thoughts headed your way!!

cybercat wrote:
> [...]
> she is not in the mood. In other words, she is herself. But we noticed her
> having trouble chewing, she paused and kind of shook her head and pawed he
> mouth, that same side. Just a few days ago she finally began eating less,
> and lost weight. Then just yesterday she did not want her canned food at
> all, or soft goodies. I got her chicken and turkey baby food, no onions of
> course, and she likes that, and will eat tuna water with some tuna in it. I
> give her small bits, and as soon as it is finished, put down more, to try to
> keep up her strength.
>
> Monday morning 8:45 she has an appointment with her usual vet, to go under
> anesthesia and let her have a look and biopsy. We are still hopeful that it
> is just a bad tooth. If it is, she will get a full dental while the vet is
> in there! Thanks for listening and for keeping us in your thoughts.

cshenk
March 21st 09, 06:18 PM
"cybercat" wrote

Purrs for you both Cyber!

MaryL
March 21st 09, 06:27 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> [...]
> she is not in the mood. In other words, she is herself. But we noticed her
> having trouble chewing, she paused and kind of shook her head and pawed he
> mouth, that same side. Just a few days ago she finally began eating less,
> and lost weight. Then just yesterday she did not want her canned food at
> all, or soft goodies. I got her chicken and turkey baby food, no onions of
> course, and she likes that, and will eat tuna water with some tuna in it.
> I give her small bits, and as soon as it is finished, put down more, to
> try to keep up her strength.
>
> Monday morning 8:45 she has an appointment with her usual vet, to go under
> anesthesia and let her have a look and biopsy. We are still hopeful that
> it is just a bad tooth. If it is, she will get a full dental while the vet
> is in there! Thanks for listening and for keeping us in your thoughts.

It's always frightening to discover a growth on one of our furbabies. I
think one of the "positive" signs in your case is that the previous tumor
was benign. Many cats have a tendency to develop cysts or tumors that are
benign, and I hope that is true for Boo. I had a cat many years ago that
developed several cysts. All were simply fluid-filled sacs, but it was
always a worry until I knew "for sure." You are sensible enough (and have
enough concern for your cats) that you will get Boo to a vet immediately.
That provides time for early treatment, and I hope this is something simple.

MaryL

Poe
March 21st 09, 07:01 PM
cybercat wrote:
> [...]
> she is not in the mood. In other words, she is herself. But we noticed her
> having trouble chewing, she paused and kind of shook her head and pawed he
> mouth, that same side. Just a few days ago she finally began eating less,
> and lost weight. Then just yesterday she did not want her canned food at
> all, or soft goodies. I got her chicken and turkey baby food, no onions of
> course, and she likes that, and will eat tuna water with some tuna in it. I
> give her small bits, and as soon as it is finished, put down more, to try to
> keep up her strength.
>
> Monday morning 8:45 she has an appointment with her usual vet, to go under
> anesthesia and let her have a look and biopsy. We are still hopeful that it
> is just a bad tooth. If it is, she will get a full dental while the vet is
> in there! Thanks for listening and for keeping us in your thoughts.

You sound like a very nice parent. Sending goodness your way to share
with Boo... :-)

cybercat
March 21st 09, 10:27 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...
> PURRS IN ROUTE

Thanks to you and all for your good thoughts. She just had a bath
(strangely, she likes them) and got brushed, and felt so good out of the
bath she downed half a can of Fancy Feast!

LauraM[_2_]
March 22nd 09, 03:40 PM
On Mar 21, 3:27*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>
> g.com...
>
> > PURRS IN ROUTE
>
> Thanks to you and all for your good thoughts. She just had a bath
> (strangely, she likes them) and got brushed, and felt so good out of the
> bath she downed half a can of Fancy Feast!

I hope your Boo is doing better. I was on vacation for a week and am
catching up on the threads today.

cybercat
March 22nd 09, 05:20 PM
"LauraM" > wrote:

>I hope your Boo is doing better. I was on vacation for a week and am
>catching up on the threads today.

Thank you. She is much better today, the bath seemed to make her feel so
much better. (Her mouth is smelly, so when she grooms herself she gets
smelly, and she drools a lot.) The GREAT news is that she is on her second
full jar of chicken baby food! She balks because her mouth bothers her, but
if I squat and speak to her telling her "good girl" and pet her, she begins
to purr and eats. It is sad, though, because after just a few bits she
tosses her head and growls out of sheer frustration, from whatever is in her
mouth gettng in the way of eating. Thankfully her appointment with the
wonderful vet who removed her mammary tumor is tomorrow morning, early. So
one more day of frustration for our boo. We are SO lucky she is, err, shall
we say, "enthusiastic" about her food! In a cat easily put off their food,
this would be deadly quickly since they get into kidney/liver trouble so
fast from not eating.

I hope you enjoyed your vacation! Thank you for thinking about us.

Cheryl
March 22nd 09, 07:31 PM
I hope it turns out to just be a bad tooth. Good thoughts and purrs for Boo
and your nerves.

Cheryl

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> [...]
> she is not in the mood. In other words, she is herself. But we noticed her
> having trouble chewing, she paused and kind of shook her head and pawed he
> mouth, that same side. Just a few days ago she finally began eating less,
> and lost weight. Then just yesterday she did not want her canned food at
> all, or soft goodies. I got her chicken and turkey baby food, no onions of
> course, and she likes that, and will eat tuna water with some tuna in it.
> I give her small bits, and as soon as it is finished, put down more, to
> try to keep up her strength.
>
> Monday morning 8:45 she has an appointment with her usual vet, to go under
> anesthesia and let her have a look and biopsy. We are still hopeful that
> it is just a bad tooth. If it is, she will get a full dental while the vet
> is in there! Thanks for listening and for keeping us in your thoughts.

barb
March 22nd 09, 07:55 PM
Will be hoping for the best for Boo.

Barb

LauraM[_2_]
March 22nd 09, 08:00 PM
On Mar 22, 10:20*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote:
> >I hope your Boo is doing better. *I was on vacation for a week and am
> >catching up on the threads today.
>
> Thank *you. She is much better today, the bath seemed to make her feel so
> much better. (Her mouth is smelly, so when she grooms herself she gets
> smelly, and she drools a lot.) The GREAT news is that she is on her second
> full jar of chicken baby food! She balks because her mouth bothers her, but
> if I squat and speak to her telling her "good girl" and pet her, she begins
> to purr and eats. It is sad, though, because after just a few bits she
> tosses her head and growls out of sheer frustration, from whatever is in her
> mouth gettng in the way of eating. Thankfully her appointment with the
> wonderful vet who removed her mammary tumor is tomorrow morning, early. So
> one more day of frustration for our boo. We are SO lucky she is, err, shall
> we say, "enthusiastic" about her food! In a cat easily put off their food,
> this would be deadly quickly since they get into kidney/liver trouble so
> fast from not eating.
>
> I hope you enjoyed your vacation! Thank you for thinking about us.

I hope that the vet will be able to take care of her mouth easily.
But you're right....thank god she's eating even if it's not as easy as
usual. That's always a good sign when kitties maintain their
appetites! Let Hobbes and I know how it goes tomorrow.