PDA

View Full Version : Insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis, poly cysticovarian syndrome, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease etc are increasing at analarming rate world over.

Rakshi
March 31st 09, 04:06 PM
Insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis, poly cystic
ovarian syndrome, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease etc are increasing
at an alarming rate world over.

As there is no real cure for these diseases, prevention of management
of these disorders is achieved successfully by life style
interventions.

To know how preventive measures will help to reduce or treat these
disorders, we need to know some basic about these diseases.

Fat feeding potentiates the diabetogenic effect of dexamethasone in
Wistar rats

Abstract
Background

The role of cortisol and its increased action/availability is
implicated in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance associated with
obesity and metabolic syndrome but the mechanism of increased action/
availability is not known. Availability of several other lipophilic
hormones, drugs and pollutants are also reported to be increased in
obesity. Increased lipids in the circulation are reported to alter the
fluidity and permeability of membranes. Hyperlipidemia is also
reported to alter the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of
lipophilic molecules and also membrane fluidity and permeability. In
this context we assumed that the hyperlipidemia associated with human
obesity might play a role in the altered action/availability of
cortisol and this in turn might have initiated the metabolic
complications. To evaluate our assumption we have administered
dexamethasone [low [50 ėg/kg/day] or high [250 ėg/kg/day] dose] to
high-fat [coconut oil & vanaspati] fed rats and the results were
compared with rats administered with either dexamethasone or high-fat.
Results and Discussion

Within two weeks, the rats co-administered with high-fat and
dexamethasone developed severe hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia and
insulin resistance compared to rats treated either of them alone.
High-
fat fed rats treated with higher dose of dexamethasone were presented
with severe hyperglycemia, insulin resistance and also severe
glycosuria. The hyperlipidemia caused by high-fat feeding might have
altered the transport and distribution of dexamethasone, probably by
altering the physical state of membranes and transport proteins.
Conclusion

From the results obtained, it can be speculated that the altered lipid
and cortisol metabolism could affect one another, forming a vicious
cycle.
Full text of the article at:
http://www.intarchmed.com/content/1/1/7

cybercat
March 31st 09, 04:08 PM
"Rakshi" > wrote

Is this about cats or humans or what?

Rakshi
March 31st 09, 04:12 PM
On Mar 31, 8:08*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Rakshi" > wrote
>
> Is this about cats or humans or what?

this is based on research in rats.

cybercat
March 31st 09, 05:42 PM
"Rakshi" > wrote in message
On Mar 31, 8:08 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Rakshi" > wrote
>
> Is this about cats or humans or what?

>this is based on research in rats.

Why are you posting it in a cat group?

Matthew[_3_]
March 31st 09, 05:53 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Rakshi" > wrote in message
> On Mar 31, 8:08 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Rakshi" > wrote
>>
>> Is this about cats or humans or what?
>
>>this is based on research in rats.
>
> Why are you posting it in a cat group?

Because he is an idiot

Rakshi
March 31st 09, 06:08 PM
On Mar 31, 9:53*pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "Rakshi" > wrote in message
> > On Mar 31, 8:08 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> >> "Rakshi" > wrote
>
> >> Is this about cats or humans or what?
>
> >>this is based on research in rats.
>
> > Why are you posting it in a cat group?
>
> Because he is an idiot

No, it is a general information can to be extended to any life forms.